• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Relix said:
Put your boxers on. Turn off lights. Audio to max. Sit back. Play for a minimum of 5 hours straight. Come back after that and tell us how awesome it was.

Alright, will grab something to eat and I will get it started. Any suggestions or characters or anything? I am not used to RPG's too much, I always end up spending more time on creating a character than playing with him, LOL.

sweetvar26 said:
Alright, will grab something to eat and I will get it started. Any suggestions or characters or anything? I am not used to RPG's too much, I always end up spending more time on creating a character than playing with him, LOL.

Dwarf Noble rogue.

You get the best of all worlds (Origin story, Chests, DPS, Dialogue)

Nif

Is the tactic to swap to ranged weapon bugged for anyone else? I'm using Enemy > Target at range > medium or large > equip ranged weapon. Leliana still loves to run half a mile with her dinky little dagger to attack something. She changes from ranged to melee on her own, too. :/ Maybe I should jump to a self > any after that, or just keep any > equip ranged.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nif said:
Is the tactic to swap to ranged weapon bugged for anyone else? I'm using Enemy > Target at range > medium or large > equip ranged weapon. Leliana still loves to run half a mile with her dinky little dagger to attack something. She changes from ranged to melee on her own, too. :/ Maybe I should jump to a self > any after that, or just keep any > equip ranged.

Not an expert on the commands thing but the only way I could get her to stay away was to change the tatics to "ranged". Would have messed with it more but she was only around to open shit for me anyways.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Started a rogue for my second playthrough and am having a blast. The game is even better now that I know what I'm doing.

Saw the PS3 version earlier tonight...yeesh. Bioware definitely wanted people to play this on PC :lol

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess you have to choose sides in orrzamar, but I wanted to hear both sides before I chose. Does that mean I have to win the proving just to speak with harrowmont? If so, I might just go with the other guy :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This is the first time in a very long time that I've explored every nook and cranny of every area I go to. So far, 50 hours. :lol

mattiewheels said:
I guess you have to choose sides in orrzamar, but I wanted to hear both sides before I chose. Does that mean I have to win the proving just to speak with harrowmont? If so, I might just go with the other guy :lol
I think you can do the first task for either without committing. Make a seperate save just in case.

*Or wait, the proving you say... yeah I'm not sure if the other guy would speak to you after that.

Are you going good or evil?

laserbeam

Banned
So
Anyone think that maybe Flemeth takes over Morrigan even after you kill her physical form? Morrigan specifically mentions she is not sure her mother can even be stopped. Right after you kill Flemeths Physical form Morrigians whole attitude changes. There is the comment during the shale quest by the Demon who says People see what they want to see rather then what is with regards to the demon taking the little girls body forever.

Morrigan at the end basically does the very thing Flemeth had done for centuries. Get a kid then flee so she could eventually take over the kids body.

I'm not planning to use the Bow at all for this playthrough, however I do find quite some loot. Should I pick them up and sell them if I can later and gain XP, or just leave them aside?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Danne-Danger said:
I think you can do the first task for either without committing. Make a seperate save just in case.

*Or wait, the proving you say... yeah I'm not sure if the other guy would speak to you after that.

Are you going good or evil?
Well, as far as what you thought, who did you choose to help? Harrowmont seems to be the more decent one, as bhalen appears to be pretty corrupt. (was he sending the false promisory notes, or was that someone supporting him?)

Nif

Warnen said:
Not an expert on the commands thing but the only way I could get her to stay away was to change the tatics to "ranged". Would have messed with it more but she was only around to open shit for me anyways.

Ahhh, I always forget about that list. I'll have to try it again later, thanks.

Ventrue

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
It's easily beatable in 20 hours, especially if you don't do any sidequests.
I don't do many and it's taken me 35 hours+ each time. I can't see how you can play though that quickly if you're listening to the conversations and playing on a reasonable difficulty.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ventrue said:
I don't do many and it's taken me 35 hours+ each time. I can't see how you can play though that quickly if you're listening to the conversations and playing on a reasonable difficulty.
Why would he listen to every conversation? The 50th time you talk to the npc vendor in camp do you really sit there and listen to what he says instead of skipping through the dialog to get to the trade interface?

I'd think 20 hours is quite doable for main questline, particularly if it is not your 1st playthrough.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The only way i can see getting through the main quest on 20 hours is if you skipped every dialogue and knew exactly where to go. Also you would have to skip every side-quest, every optional fight (go on a line just for the exit in dungeons etc) and do no companion stuff. Even then i think it might be cutting it close.

Ventrue

Woo-Fu said:
Why would he listen to every conversation? The 50th time you talk to the npc vendor in camp do you really sit there and listen to what he says instead of skipping through the dialog to get to the trade interface?

I'd think 20 hours is quite doable for main questline, particularly if it is not your 1st playthrough.
I didn't say 'every' conversation. I just meant, you know, talking to people around the place, asking questions of main npcs, listening to stuff about the main quest and all that.

mattiewheels said:
Well, as far as what you thought, who did you choose to help? Harrowmont seems to be the more decent one, as bhalen appears to be pretty corrupt. (was he sending the false promisory notes, or was that someone supporting him?)
If you want a few spoilers...

Harrowmont is indeed the decent one. Bhalen is a douche.

laserbeam said:
So
Anyone think that maybe Flemeth takes over Morrigan even after you kill her physical form? Morrigan specifically mentions she is not sure her mother can even be stopped. Right after you kill Flemeths Physical form Morrigians whole attitude changes. There is the comment during the shale quest by the Demon who says People see what they want to see rather then what is with regards to the demon taking the little girls body forever.

Morrigan at the end basically does the very thing Flemeth had done for centuries. Get a kid then flee so she could eventually take over the kids body.

If she cares about you she makes a very touching speech before the final battle, before she leaves forever. Personally I don't think she was possessed, and I didn't notice any changes after killing Flemeth.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Danne-Danger said:

Except, ironically I suppose, Bhalen ends up being the better leader.

I almost want to know what happens if you play the Dwarf Noble though... but I can't imagine finishing the game yet another time. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
laserbeam said:
So

But that's just because
she's discovered Flemeth's secret of immortality, and she's a well capable mage herself, makes sense for her to try and follow the steps to ensure her own immortality

Walshicus

Hey guys, few days ago I picked up L4D2 and on mentioning I was playing Dragon Age got a bonus pre-order card with Dalish Promise Ring and Memory Band. Unfortunately this was for the PS3 version of the game which explains why I can't get it working...

Anyway, enjoy! Post if you use it so others don't bother in vain.

Dalish Promise Ring:
9Q45-PCHJ-TGPA-8HZU

Memory Band:
FNEA-Z5S7-WB9T-AXPL

Moonstone

Danne-Danger said:

Harrowmont suppports the caste system, I wouldn't consider this decent. Bhelen is against it, he's still a douche, though. DA has no easy black & white choices

JayDubya

Banned
Moonstone said:
Harrowmont suppports the caste system, I wouldn't consider this decent. Bhelen is against it, he's still a douche, though. DA has no easy black & white choices

Well, I wouldn't say *no* easy black & white choices.

Taking hush money from Lord Vaughn and sparing his life so his rape party can continue is a pretty black choice.

Destroying an artifact with the power to heal the sick so you can have a power exchange with an ancient dragon and its murder cult is pretty black. :p

Satanyoka

Banned
I am pretty fucking pissed.
I fucking missed Leliana in mother fucking Lothering. God shit Bioware why couldn't you make her available elsewhere?

What class do you guys recommend for a beginner? I'm not very familiar with Baldur's Gate style games.

Is a mage too hard to start with?

Chris_C

I just picked this up on Steam, my first Steam game and I must admit I'm not a big RPG fan (loved Oblivion, Mass Effect and Fallout 3 tho), and this game is awesome so far.

I just got to Ostagar and I'm loving it so far. I do have a question though, I understand new copies of the game are supposed to come with a code for the Stone Prisoner dlc. How do I get this through Steam though?

Doytch

Chris_C said:
I just picked this up on Steam, my first Steam game and I must admit I'm not a big RPG fan (loved Oblivion, Mass Effect and Fallout 3 tho), and this game is awesome so far.

I just got to Ostagar and I'm loving it so far. I do have a question though, I understand new copies of the game are supposed to come with a code for the Stone Prisoner dlc. How do I get this through Steam though?
Right click the game in Games List, View CD Key. Despite the ambiguous naming, one is for the "game" and gives you Shale, and the others are redeemed as Promo Codes on the Social site.

Chris_C

Doytch said:
Right click the game in Games List, View CD Key. Despite the ambiguous naming, one is for the "game" and gives you Shale, and the others are redeemed as Promo Codes on the Social site.

Thanks, it worked! I got The Stone Prisoner and Blood Dragon armor.

I'm not a big PC gamer generally, but picked up a GTX 260 just for this, I'm loving it so far, and it runs great to boot!

Is there anyway I can get the same stuff from the guy at Party camp? I don't have the gold for it now but he seemed to have a lot of good things with him, damnit.

Antagon

The only thing that I don't really like about the game right now is the difficulty. For some reason, all the fights for the story and the bosses (including the optional) have been pretty easy so far, but some random encounters and the sidequests where you fight bandits are very hard.

Antagon

sweetvar26 said:
Is there anyway I can get the same stuff from the guy at Party camp? I don't have the gold for it now but he seemed to have a lot of good things with him, damnit.

You can just go to the camp whenever you're on the world map (it's the location in the top right corner). He'll always be there, so just wait until you've got the money for it.

ethelred

JayDubya said:
Well, I wouldn't say *no* easy black & white choices.

It's something that's been bothering me a bit about the game. Honestly, I feel more of the choices in the game are black and white than not.

Yes, they did add the fact that Bhelen is opposed to the caste system... but on the whole, he's made out to be such a really bad person that it's pretty clear cut that he shouldn't be ruling. He killed the prior king, killed his brother, tried to have his other brother killed-by-proxy. He works with and finances the criminals that are terrorizing the casteless, and even the lord who is in favor of abolishing the caste system and moving their society in a more progressive direction admits that Harrowmont, while in favor of the system, is a more forgiving individual and would be better suited to rule. Simply being opposed to one bad social tradition does not in any way add a shade of grey to the situation, especially given that Bhelen was also the one who consistently advocated for closing off surface access and only wanted to integrate casteless for financial reasons, and considering Bhelen's disregard for the rule of law (such as resorting to vioence when the law didn't choose him as king). Harrowmont may be socially conservative and he may eventually prove to be ineffectual (due to, again, the constant rebellion by Bhelen's people), but there's no real moral ambiguity here. Abolishing the caste system so the tyrant king can brutalize and control people of every castle in society is not a morally ambiguous or progressive development!

There also really isn't anything other than a stark black and white choice when it comes to the Urn of Sacred Ashes, or the Brecilian Forest scenario. I was surprised when the "Side with the Werewolves" choice turned out to be something as extreme as "oh, hey, let's just kill all the elves." Agreeing with the Lady of the Forest that Zathrian should be convinced, forcibly if necessary, to break the curse is an understandable moral choice. Killing the entire clan is not. There weren't really a lot of shade of grey elements once you got to Denerim for the Landsmeet, either, because the stuff Howe and Loghain were doing (torture, poisoning nobles, slavery) wasn't "well I guess this could be a defensible moral act in service to the saving of country," it was all completely morally indefensible stuff.

The only one that I thought was really really good was the choice of whether to use or save the Anvil. But that turned out to be a pointless decision since the ending makes it clear that the dwarves are going to fix and use the Anvil anyway.

ethelred said:
The only one that I thought was really really good was the choice of whether to use or save the Anvil. But that turned out to be a pointless decision since the ending makes it clear that the dwarves are going to fix and use the Anvil anyway.
Yeah that was annoying, it's obvious that it'll be a critical plot point in the next game.

Sober

I really wonder what happened to
Bodhan because Sandal is somehow at Fort Drakon in the finale? All covered in blood, "Enchantment? ENCHANTMENT!"
That was just messed up IMO. Also,
why would merchants march into the heart of Denerim during a darkspawn invasion? Silly dwarves.

If you ask me, persistant gore + that camera angle and lighting + that character = creepiest moment in the game.

bengraven

Think Orz is glitched.

I finished the Proving, but the proving master still has an arrow over his head - he only says ambient dialogue, no progress.

I rescued Dace, he has and arrow over his head - he only says ambient dialogue, no progress.

I sided with Harrowmont in the proving, Bhelen's lacky still has an arrow over his head - he only says ambient dialogue, no progress.

I can't progress.

Just finished it. I really liked it. Some 50+ hours mind though some of that time was me just standing around whilst I had dinner etc.
Decided to read a review or two (not that I really care) and looked at that Eurogamer review. I noticed the pic halfway down the first page with the line "The silly blood spatter turns many tender or serious moments into high comedy." The reviewer obviously couldn't be arsed to discover it's an option that can be turned off. I didn't read the rest. He's obviously a twat and I won't waste my time reading the moronic ramblings of a twat. Luckily I rarely give a fuck about reviews.
Good game. Looking forward to the DLC's.

ethelred

Slackbladder said:
I noticed the pic halfway down the first page with the line "The silly blood spatter turns many tender or serious moments into high comedy." The reviewer obviously couldn't be arsed to discover it's an option that can be turned off. I didn't read the rest.

I'm really glad that was included as an option. I definitely would've liked the game less if not for the ability to turn that stuff off. It's pretty silly for a reviewer to act like the option isn't there.

iammeiam

mattiewheels said:

I didn't actually pick sides until the last possible minute in that quest line, I think. I also didn't compete in the Proving at all. Dialog choices were probably pretty important for letting me keep double-dealing as long as I could.

I more or less did this:

Agreed to do the first task for both sides. I went to the Proving area and did the necessary stuff to get Harrowmont's fighters back in the game, but did not participate myself. Then I turned around and talked to the Nobles Bhalen wanted me to let in on Harrowmont's treachery.

I then went back to Harrowmont's guy first, who was pissed about the work for Bhalen, andoffered to be a double-agent for his side. So then he sends me to talk to Bhalen, who sends me off to take down this criminal outfit. Harrowmont's guy responds with "OK, go do that, but while doing that also go grab this thing that'll let us prove Bhelen sucks."

Went through that whole sequence, finally got to speak to Harrowmont in-person, and got a fairly definitive answer as to which side would be 'good' to support. Then both sides sent me on the exact same mission, and it's only after completing that and basically getting the prompt to pick the next king that I actually picked sides.

As long as you pick the right conversation pieces, it's pretty easy to play both sides because after the first set of tasks, both sides want you to go to the same places to do fairly similar things. I kept waiting for a final twist in that sequence that never came, and was disappointed that I couldn't pick
Helmi, or whoever--the guy in the tavern who was like "Dude who even cares, they both suck and our politics are crap."
, since he was the one I actually liked.

I think I might have slightly confused the game, though (X360 version.) Towards the end of the Orzimmar quest line, "A Paragon of Her Kind" started showing up twice in my active quest lists. Only one of them moved to completed, so I still show a quest wanting me to go back to Orzimmar and pick a king. Doesn't seem to have broken the end-game, just kind of confusing.

Probably going to finish the game today; then I have to decide whether or not to start a second play through immediately. It'd be an 'evil' playthrough, which makes it seem like I could skip huge sections of stuff, but I don't know if it'd be better to give the game a break first.

ethelred said:
It's something that's been bothering me a bit about the game. Honestly, I feel more of the choices in the game are black and white than not.

stuff[./spoiler]
Agreed on everything but the dwarf stuff. I've supported both would-be kings on my various playthroughs. Technically we don't have proof that Bhelan forged the documents showing Harrowmont double-dealing. Still, while Bhelan's a giant dick, he came across to me as an Augustus-like figure. Completely and utterly ruthless, but a good ruler. Harrowmont's a nice guy that people like, but he's very ineffectual on the throne--give him the anvil and he gets Orzammar invaded by the surface dwellers, don't give him it and everything remains deadlocked and stagnant.

Sure, some people called Bhelen a tyrant, but the epilogue makes it clear not everyone did. Given the amusing propaganda we hear while running around Orzammar, I'm not taking the tyrant side for granted, but it's obviously left up to the individual gamer's opinion.

ethelred

Zod the Bear said:
Agreed on everything but the dwarf stuff. I've supported both would-be kings on my various playthroughs. Technically we don't have proof that Bhelan forged the documents showing Harrowmont double-dealing. Still, while Bhelan's a giant dick, he came across to me as an Augustus-like figure. Completely and utterly ruthless, but a good ruler. Harrowmont's a nice guy that people like, but he's very ineffectual on the throne--give him the anvil and he gets Orzammar invaded by the surface dwellers, don't give him it and everything remains deadlocked and stagnant.

If you take the double-dealing letters to the Shaperate, there's no question they're forged. The only question is if Bhelen directly ordered it or whether Gavorn did it on his own. Given how hands on Bhelen tends to be and given that Gavorn is his trusted second-in-command, I think it's much more believable that he directly ordered it (I mean, the documents relating to his father's death directly implicated him and if you're okay with fratricide and regicide I doubt you're going to get qualms over forgery), but even if he didn't, the whole incident is still rather damning. Either he did it himself or his right hand did it on his own knowing it's the sort of thing Bhelen endorses. It doesn't make a big difference.

I agree that Harrowmont, regardless of what happens in the rest of the game, doesn't turn out to be a good or effective (or even particularly long-lasting) king. But that doesn't mean that elevating Bhelen to the throne is morally ambiguous. It isn't.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
FateBreaker said:
...how can you beat this game in 20 hours?

Went through everything for the main quest only. Didn't read the books I picked up along the way...may go back and do some of that later. Did not do any sidequests. I did go through all the conversations for the main story though.

Wish I had more time to go through all the optional content, but there's tons of games out now to play :D

Top Bottom