• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

So I just made a Elf warrior..........dear god the racism :lol it's so awesomely bad.....awesome!

Yeah my elf warrior is much more bitter than my human rogue. :lol

Mindlog

dreamer3kx said:
Ok beat kolgrim somehow, : o at right after him. : (

:lol :lol :lol

My second play through and I've managed to get Oghren to share his... great scene.
It didn't happen to me the first time around (I think), but (mid-late game spoiler unrelated to the ending)
my camp got raided.
That was fun.

voltron said:
Ok I assume Im late to the party on this, but it does it annoy anyone else that content like 'The Wardens Keep' is not incorporated into the game? Having DLC ready at launch is one thing, but to have such an obviously cool premise for a quest that relates directly to the character you play in the game as DLC just annoys me.

Not to mention they include a chest to save loot in.... maybe that would have been a good idea for the main game. (unless Im missing something and there already exists a chest to store items in?)

And why the sweet fuck does 'The Stone Golem' cost 1200 pts!?? You have got to be shitting me!

fwiw

JayDubya said:
So Human Noble Warrior / Templar / Champion finished.

78 hours, L23, halfway to L24 (and I sincerely doubt L24 would have been possible).

Did almost everything. Did not find all the love letters (missing one). The last Blackstone Irregulars quest bugged out on me as well (the NPCs would not appear).

On to some kind of Mage or Rogue.

Do the Mage now, before it gets balanced :]
Do the Rogue later, when it gets balanced :]

What exactly is the problem with the rogue in the 360 version? Mine did seem to underperform for a while but now it seems fine...

Are there just certain skills that are broken?

Tobor

voltron said:
Completely pointless response. Yes I know it comes free, I used my code to purchase it.

But that doesnt change the fact that it is for sale @ 1200 pts. That is fucking ridiculous.

Publishers are going to make money from used game sales one way or the other.

Mindlog

Rogues not broken or anything. A det fix similar to the hotfix on PC wouldn't hurt though.

It'd be nice to see the PC hotfix reach patch status.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Relix said:
Just got to Broodmother. Fuck me. I:lol

Edit: PWNED THE BITCH AFTER TWO TRIES! YEAH! =P

That fight made me nauseous.

Especially when you hear the backstory ugh.

I waited until like level 17 to fight
Flemeth
I have no idea if that matters but this was the first fight where I had to turn down the difficulty.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Shale quest spoilers:

Did anyone think the...

puzzle to release the demon-possessed kitty was annoying simply because the allies kept on getting in the way and I kept on clicking on them when I was trying to move a tile?

Shrinnan said:
Shale quest spoilers:

Did anyone think the...

puzzle to release the demon-possessed kitty was annoying simply because the allies kept on getting in the way and I kept on clicking on them when I was trying to move a tile?

PC or console?

On Pc you can make them stay with 'h'.

Anerythristic said:
I waited until like level 17 to fight
Flemeth
I have no idea if that matters but this was the first fight where I had to turn down the difficulty.

Did it at 12 on nightmare.

Pretty easy, i do not know why it was hyped up so much.

Mindlog

Shrinnan said:
Shale quest spoilers:

Did anyone think the...

Yeah move them away a bit and hold position.

Small part of that quest I liked. Sten got the killing blow and now I don't use him anymore because it will always say the most powerful foe he has slain is
kitty. It's grand.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
lorddarkflare said:
PC or console?

On Pc you can make them stay with 'h'.

Console (X360) but apparently:

Mindlog said:
Yeah move them away a bit and hold position.

Small part of that quest I liked. Sten got the killing blow and now I don't use him anymore because it will always say the most powerful foe he has slain is
kitty. It's grand.

I'll definitely do this next time. I tried to see if there was a hold position but I couldn't find it and I assumed that was one of the things that was out of the console versions.

Anyway, I think that's Alistair's most powerful foe slain as well. XD

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Game is busted, perhaps. Everytime I talk to Shale, everything disappears except me and him. I'm just floating in blackness. I like talking to Shale :(

Did anyone choose to
become king and marry Anora
? I'm interested in finding out how exactly that plays out but I don't feel like making a Male Human Noble character and going through the whole goddamn game just for that.

Try as I might, I don't see what Anora's motivation would be. Do you trade
marriage
for your support or something?

In my playthrough I was a mage so I got
Alistair and Anora to marry each other
which was...interesting.

dmshaposv

I just started this game yesterday, as a city elf.

2 hours in and I'm really digging it so far. I really wish I had more time to dedicate to this. :(

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ignis Fatuus said:
marriage

Alister and Anora makes sense because Alister comes from the royal bloodline, YOU marrying Anora is probably just there for the lulz, like how I married Alister and ruled the land as my female character just because I had the max negotiation skills .. and they put Anora in Jail .. :p

Ignis Fatuus said:
marriage

I assume that's the case. Still, she won't go for it unless you're a human noble, as the Cousland bloodline traces back to pre-Fereldon unification. It's an ancient family that has been one of the most powerful. While your power is currently gone, you've got something of an army backing you up by the landsmeet, so I guess the other nobles see you as acceptable.

Still, I think it's "acceptable" rather than Alastair's blood's "wanted." You're just putting the condition in because you want it and can force her hand.

Admittedly, these are just my thoughts. It's going to be a playthrough-and-a-half out for me before I try it.

koji

BudokaiMR2 said:
What exactly is the problem with the rogue in the 360 version? Mine did seem to underperform for a while but now it seems fine...

Are there just certain skills that are broken?

Daggers don`t get the 0.50 weapon mod from Dexterity, only the 0.50 from strength. Dagger dmg is based on STR and DEX. If you`re playing an archer... well they basically borked bow dmg... (check the hotfix to see what`s "wrong")

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/items/weapons

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101

According to Georg Zeller it should be patched in 1.02 though. That will probably come in some form to the consoles as well (I guess...)

--> http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/220572/2#247536

I just started this game on xbox360. I am only two hours into it and the game feels generic, the graphics are pale and the characters around me have no life. WHEN do things pick up ?

Doc Evils

Just finished the game.

WOW, probably the best RPG I've played in a while. Thank you Bioware.:D

I'mma hunt you down Morrigan and get my demon kid yo!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Unregistered007 said:
I just started this game on xbox360. I am only two hours into it and the game feels generic, the graphics are pale and the characters around me have no life. WHEN do things pick up ?

4 hours in I think it was that it became practically my GOTY. 15 hours later and it's in the Top 5 of this gen for me. The game graphics are not impressive at all (unless you play on PC) and the story is a mix of a bunch of generic stuff that actually makes for something interesting as it develops.

Doytch

_tetsuo_ said:
Game is busted, perhaps. Everytime I talk to Shale, everything disappears except me and him. I'm just floating in blackness. I like talking to Shale :(
Same thing happened to me. I'd finished all his side quests (including the one in the Deep Roads), and at one point, had a bug where I couldn't get him into any modes, though I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Never fixed itself, even in the epilogue.

JBuccCP

The origin stories, at least before the bad shit happens in them that forces you to leave, really made me want a Bioware game where you just go through someone's relatively normal life not saving the world or being some special person.

Woo-Fu

Banned
FateBreaker said:
How the hell do you beat this ugly Broodmother thing. Not only is she/it tough, but she/it is nausea-inducing...I want this battle to end. :(
There are stone ramps on either side of the broodmother, which are nice chokepoints to stage your party. They still get hit by spit but with the right aggro management she'll be spitting at the people you want her to spit at.

Anyways, run your party up the left or right ramp and her tentacles will appear at the bottom, damage the tentacles until they will not reappear then you can hit her with ranged attacks from a spot on the ramp just above where the tentacles were. You do this until she is damaged to a certain point and then the tentacles will come back and some darkspawn will come out. Get your party back up to the top of the ramp until you've killed off the melee darkspawn, then do the tentacles again, then kill any darkspawn left out front shooting arrows at you, then go back to ranged attacks on the brood mother. Just rinse and repeat until she dies.

If you do the fight that way it is very easy to manage aggro, and incoming damage such that your soft party members can be protected and your tanks can be kept healed.

Just like a couple of the other bosses in this game in this fight you can stay out of melee range of the main boss and if you do so it makes the fight much easier.

Woo-Fu said:
There are stone ramps on either side of the broodmother, which are nice chokepoints to stage your party. They still get hit by spit but with the right aggro management she'll be spitting at the people you want her to spit at.

Anyways, run your party up the left or right ramp and her tentacles will appear at the bottom, damage the tentacles until they will not reappear then you can hit her with ranged attacks from a spot on the ramp just above where the tentacles were. You do this until she is damaged to a certain point and then the tentacles will come back and some darkspawn will come out. Get your party back up to the top of the ramp until you've killed off the melee darkspawn, then do the tentacles again, then kill any darkspawn left out front shooting arrows at you, then go back to ranged attacks on the brood mother. Just rinse and repeat until she dies.

If you do the fight that way it is very easy to manage aggro, and incoming damage such that your soft party members can be protected and your tanks can be kept healed.

Just like a couple of the other bosses in this game in this fight you can stay out of melee range of the main boss and if you do so it makes the fight much easier.
I just chained blizzards to keep all that shit on lockdown, letting Zevran take care of any adds outside the AoE.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Had to drop difficulty for the
Branka
boss fight. Got my ass handed 4 times. Once I had her pretty close to gone but quake killed me. Also, I must say.. Casual is way too easy :lol

Gonna tackle
Flemeth and maybe the Urn dragon
now.

Didn't see it mentioned but apparently there is an email going around for The Edge dagger dlc:

* To receive the item, users must login to The Game social.bioware.com and register by entering their unique CD key (PC) or UPC code (Xbox 360 ® / PLAYSTATION ® 3) before November 30, 2009. Then use the same login information within The Game and the item will appear on the in-game screen Downloadable Content ready to download. This applies to all accounts created before November 30, 2009. "

Its a pretty good dagger from what I have read with 2 slots for enchantment.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
kyo_daikun said:
Its a pretty good dagger from what I have read with 2 slots for enchantment.

To strike down the dark Lord Langdell with?

"The Edge is an extremely sharp blade that is the pinnacle of Ferelden crafting. It adds bonuses to damage, attack, and critical strike chance."

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Flemeth wasn't that bad
:D

Had two archers and wynne on hold position away while with my tank I slowly did some damage. Got an awesome finishing move too!

Also... I am so, so so close with Morrigan now. I can feel it!!! :lol

Doytch

Thnikkaman said:
To strike down the dark Lord Langdell with?

"The Edge is an extremely sharp blade that is the pinnacle of Ferelden crafting. It adds bonuses to damage, attack, and critical strike chance."
Bioware redeemed :lol Wicked awesome name.

Relix said:
Flemeth wasn't that bad
:D

Had two archers and wynne on hold position away while with my tank I slowly did some damage. Got an awesome finishing move too!

Also... I am so, so so close with Morrigan now. I can feel it!!! :lol
It's easy to two man
Flemeth
at level 10 with Shale and Wynne.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is this new?

ctdm.png

2ekhf9z.jpg

nbf2gj.jpg

2d0bc5g.jpg

Just finished it up. A decent game but fell short in a lot of ways which I would've expected it to excel.

Outside of the main story the quest design was rudimentary. I was surprised at how one-noted they all were, the ones that I played through anyway.

Denerim was a HUGE letdown. The main city and all you really get is the Marketplace with a few interiors and some back alleys? There's the alienage but it's tiny and there's only like one sidequest in it. I was expecting to see several large districts like docks or upper/lower class districts with lots of quests and intrigues. The Witcher and Drakensang are both far superior in this respect.

Specializations are weak. Only four talents and a couple stat boosts? They could've at least had two tiers for each specialty given you have two specialization points to spend. In general the class system felt kind of limited and simplistic.

And of course it's just a real banal world they've "created". If you're going to reuse every fantasy staple that's already been run into the ground you'd better at least make it the definitive experience. Unfortunately they didn't, for some of the reasons I listed above.

Varna

My plan was to wait for a special of some kind over Steam, but I am itching to play a PC style RPG.

Haven't really liked anything Bioware has done since KOTOR and I'm not really expecting anything on BG's level, so hopefully this game won't disappoint.

Any tips for new players?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Confidence Man said:
Just finished it up. A decent game but fell short in a lot of ways which I would've expected it to excel.

Outside of the main story the quest design was rudimentary. I was surprised at how one-noted they all were, the ones that I played through anyway.

Denerim was a HUGE letdown. The main city and all you really get is the Marketplace with a few interiors and some back alleys? There's the alienage but it's tiny and there's only like one sidequest in it. I was expecting to see several large districts like docks or upper/lower class districts with lots of quests and intrigues. The Witcher and Drakensang are both far superior in this respect.

Specializations are weak. Only four talents and a couple stat boosts? They could've at least had two tiers for each specialty given you have two specialization points to spend. In general the class system felt kind of limited and simplistic.

And of course it's just a real banal world they've "created". If you're going to reuse every fantasy staple that's already been run into the ground you'd better at least make it the definitive experience. Unfortunately they didn't, for some of the reasons I listed above.

Itemization is shit too, whoever had the idea that we need four-hundred differend kinds of plate needs to be tossed off a window. The whole game I was vendoring plate crap while mages were still with their starter gear. At least they realized and with arcane warrior mages can easily equip plate, too.

I noticed that the map has a
black stain to indicate the spread of the blight.
Is this an actual time-limit? Or does it just mean I'll meet lots of Darkspawn when I pass through there on the way somewhere?

Varna said:
Any tips for new players?

Don't forget that it's a party RPG, so although there will be a few places early on that make you want to put points all over the place, if you do that you'll end up with wasted points that you'll regret later on.

There is a respec mod that adds free and easy respecs though so it's not that much of an issue, but using it does slightly cheapen the experience (e.g. you have special dialogue options for a character that become incongruous if you respec them - Morrigan is the best example, without giving anything away).

Also, use the dexterity fix that's posted above by the Poirot-avatar dude. It makes archers a serious threat, which may cause some grief, but it's basically essential if you want to use a dagger-wielding/ranged rogue.

Skim over this thread; there are some great posts about party composition and individual classes and specs that I found really helpful.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Itemization is shit too, whoever had the idea that we need four-hundred differend kinds of plate needs to be tossed off a window. The whole game I was vendoring plate crap while mages were still with their starter gear. At least they realized and with arcane warrior mages can easily equip plate, too.

Why does everyone keep complaining about this? They itemised primarily for the role that is most affected by gear (i.e. tanks need armour). It would be a problem if you could easily hit the level cap during the game, as there would be no other path for improving characters; however, that's not the case.

I just really don't get the complaints. Did you ever feel during the game that your characters weren't getting stronger?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I just chained blizzards to keep all that shit on lockdown, letting Zevran take care of any adds outside the AoE.

If you have 2 mages with blizzard you don't really need any tactics for most encounters in the game, lol. After my first playthrough I decided that mages turned an otherwise challenging game into a snoozefest so I did the next playthrough with very little AoE.

jim-jam bongs said:
Why does everyone keep complaining about this? They itemised primarily for the role that is most affected by gear (i.e. tanks need armour). It would be a problem if you could easily hit the level cap during the game, as there would be no other path for improving characters; however, that's not the case.

I just really don't get the complaints. Did you ever feel during the game that your characters weren't getting stronger?

people like looking cool.

Would you rather your character looks like this...

spaceballs.jpg

or this.

darth-vader.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
jim-jam bongs said:

Because it's a bad decision? There's 7 tiers of plate, three types of plate and on top of that there are racial variants of select plate tiers. We're talking around 25 differend kinds of plate items. Leather has only one type and less racial variants and then cloth has nothing.

It's a bad decision because plate users have a shitton of options, leather users barely have and mages, well they at least join the party with a robe so guess that'll work.

If everyone keeps complaining about it, well it might be because they don't like it and it might be a stupid decision. I mean, during the course of the game you'll be vendoring dozens of magic plate before finding a single cloth item. It's ridicolous. The fact warriors are the most gear-dependant class doesn't mean everybody else should be neglected, specially when plate drops (both regular and magic) are so abundant.

Besides, it has a very nasty side effect: if you are not 100% thorough and explore every nook and cranny you might miss the single mage item on the whole dungeon! Meanwhile there are several magic plate items per dungeon so it doesn't matter that much.

edit: oh yeah, and that guy pointed out, aesthetics. I ended up using leather on my two mages (first run) to get at least a different look.

jim-jam bongs said:

It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of differentiation and customization of characters. Good, diverse itemization allows for fine-tuning of characters so that they perform precisely the role you want them to. There is a huge difference between:

a) A rogue character (class)
b) A rogue archer (class and spec)
c) A rogue archer optimized for high dexterity with just enough cunning to pick locks and using a shortbow for the 100% dex contribution to attack (class, spec, and items)

Items are important in party based CRPGs. I thought that Dragon Age was underwhelming in this regard up until the latter 1/3 of the game, when it finally started to pick back up a bit.

Woo-Fu said:
If you have 2 mages with blizzard you don't really need any tactics for most encounters in the game, lol. After my first playthrough I decided that mages turned an otherwise challenging game into a snoozefest so I did the next playthrough with very little AoE.

The only AoE i ever bother with are the status effect ones.

After that, i take down enemies one at a time. Works well and keeps the game fresh(and avoids unnecessary FF)

Fragamemnon said:
It's not a matter of strength, it's a matter of differentiation and customization of characters. Good, diverse itemization allows for fine-tuning of characters so that they perform precisely the role you want them to. There is a huge difference between:

c) A rogue archer optimized for high dexterity with just enough cunning to pick locks and using a shortbow for the 100% dex contribution to attack (class, spec, and items)

Items are important in party based CRPGs. I thought that Dragon Age was underwhelming in this regard up until the latter 1/3 of the game, when it finally started to pick back up a bit.

Yeah...

Loot sucks in this game.

Doytch

Yeah I thought they started doing a decent job with rogue itemization later in the game, with giving you options like +dmg on crit/backstab or +dex. That said, after I got the White Wood Shortbow, I used that for the rest of the game. No other shortbow came close, though there were a bunch of longbows which became not nearly as nice with the dex hotfix.

Fragamemnon said:

The type of weapon that you equip the character with is the most important thing in that comparison, and I haven't had much trouble with the variety of weapons. My point is that, in a game where stats aren't primarily derived from items, the item type in a slot may make a difference but there is very little to be gained from adding a wide variety of loot beyond aesthetics.

I agree that specialisation is important, but I also think that it's a deliberate choice on the part of Bioware to limit the amount of specialisation that's possible with gear. There are loads of talents in various trees, hidden talent trees from specialisations and attribute points. They have such a bigger impact on character specialisation than gear in DA that it couldn't be an accident.

Now I could be completely wrong, and it might just be a way to sell people armour that's actually good through DLC. In which case I'll quietly munch a crow and buy some horse armour :lol

jim-jam bongs said:
Now I could be completely wrong, and it might just be a way to sell people armour that's actually good through DLC. In which case I'll quietly munch a crow and buy some horse armour :lol

Considering the current DLC/Pre order stuff is the best in the game and there's a new pack coming out soon where they advertise the kings suit....

Alright guys, just got the game tonight for the 360. Any suggestions from the senior players that has been living on this game? Any hints before I start?

Thanks in advance.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
sweetvar26 said:
Alright guys, just got the game tonight for the 360. Any suggestions from the senior players that has been living on this game? Any hints before I start?

Thanks in advance.

Put your boxers on. Turn off lights. Audio to max. Sit back. Play for a minimum of 5 hours straight. Come back after that and tell us how awesome it was.

Top Bottom