• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Fredescu

CartridgeBlower said:
Kind of interested in playing as a a Dwarf Mage, but apparently that can't be done, so I'm deciding which way to lean. If I play as a non-mage, is it easy to get a mage into my party and use spells that way?
Dwarf Noble is supposed to be the best origin story, but as you say they can't be a Mage. There is no "gimped class" as such, but the mage is probably the most versatile. You do get two in the game to play around with magic, but that's a small number compared to the four+ warriors you get. If you've got your heart set on a dwarf, go for a rogue since you only get two of those as well. If you like the idea of versatility and experimentation with magic, go with the mage.

Wallach

Grayman said:
I did the first few minutes of the dwarf noble one and it seemed really cool.

I haven't done the Elven ones yet, but it's definitely the best of the Human/Dwarf ones. Quite awesome.

voltron

Anyone know if there's a companion quest for every companion? I've done Leliana & morrigan.

If so is it possible to do them all? I can feel the game drawing to a close and I want more stuff to do.

MrDaravon

The part with
Sandal at the end covered in blood in a sea of fucking corpses
has to be the greatest thing in the entire game, I was in tears from laughing. I think the fact that they completely don't explain it makes it even better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SailorDaravon said:
The part with
has to be the greatest thing in the entire game, I was in tears from laughing. I think the fact that they completely don't explain it makes it even better.

Enchantment!

iammeiam

So either my 360 is dying, or this game is bugging on me--twice in about an hour the screen locked and my console froze. I turned it off for an hour, then went back to try again and try for glitch number three.

Only to have the game totally surprise me--The save I'm booting from is right at the exit-to-map screen. So the past two times, I've exited to the map, selected a destination, and been dumped into one of the random encounter wolf-packs.

This time, blood-trail across the map starts, swords and sound effects pop up... And instead of being attacked by wolves, I run into a totally random and unexpected cutscene in a crater featuring, apparently, the Fereldan equivalent of
the Kents finding baby Superman
. Now I have a lump of metal ore that apparently, taken to the right smith, will lead to a unique item of some kind.

This never, ever happened in my first play through. I did run in to
what appeared to be Frodo and Sam's corpses
in game 1, which I haven't seen yet... I wonder how many random one-off references like this there are. It does make me want to examine every random encounter now, to see if I'm missing some references.

_Xenon_ said:

Is the encounter with Zevran's
friend from the Crows who first tries to take him back, then tries to murder him and you
a set part of the storyline, then? It seemed random and detached enough I assumed it was his companion quest. Possibly because I'd ignored him most of the game, then got his approval to the point of 'romancing' him, then ran into that shortly after.

Alucrid

Banned
I just started out so I have a few questions...

1) What should my money go towards? Weapons and armor?

2) Will lower armor sets and weapons be of any use or should I just sell them off?

Paznos

SailorDaravon said:
The part with
LOL I posted about the same thing and I agree LOL so funny.

_Xenon_

Banned
iammeiam said:
Is the encounter with Zevran's
friend from the Crows who first tries to take him back, then tries to murder him and you
a set part of the storyline, then? It seemed random and detached enough I assumed it was his companion quest. Possibly because I'd ignored him most of the game, then got his approval to the point of 'romancing' him, then ran into that shortly after.
It's part of main storyline so you are bound to run into it.
So either my 360 is dying, or this game is bugging on me--twice in about an hour the screen locked and my console froze. I turned it off for an hour, then went back to try again and try for glitch number three.
My game died once when I was doing a mission in Elven Alienage Orphanage. The game just stopped when I was saving. Lost 2 hours play and the save slot got corrupted (no big deal though).

_Xenon_

Banned
Alucrid said:

2) Will lower armor sets and weapons be of any use or should I just sell them off?
IMO:
1) armor. At the early stage you gotta keep your tank live as long as possible and Morrigan can do the most damage
2) I just sold everything that I don't use. If you don't have the warden's keep DLC, you don't have much space to store them anyway. And money is always tight at the end of game (vendors begin to sell unique ring/weapon/etc, usually costs 100+g each).

Alucrid

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
IMO:
1) armor. At the early stage you gotta keep your tank live as long as possible and Morrigan can do the most damage
2) I just sold everything that I don't use. If you don't have the warden's keep DLC, you don't have much space to store them anyway. And money is always tight at the end of game (vendors begin to sell unique ring/weapon/etc, usually costs 100+g each).

Okay, sounds good. I did get the DLC but I suppose I'll only keep anything that looks good. :D I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the game, despite the laughable blood-all-over cut scene dialogue.

Edit: Also, I'm playing a Warrior now, however I haven't come across anyone who can picklocks. I'm not far in the game though
at the tower right now, after becoming a Grey Warden
but leaving all these locked chests behind annoys me. Will I be getting a rogue soon enough?

iammeiam

_Xenon_ said:
My game died once when I was doing a mission in Elven Alienage Orphanage. The game just stopped when I was saving. Lost 2 hours play and the save slot got corrupted (no big deal though).

My 360 is officially dead, unfortunately. After another lockup, I booted a save from my first run-through, made it about five minutes. Rebooted again and just sat at the dashboard and the system suffered graphics corruption and froze, yet again.

Alucrid said:
Okay, sounds good. I did get the DLC but I suppose I'll only keep anything that looks good. :D

If you've got Warden's Keep, I'd suggest doing it early in the game specifically because of te storage benefits it'll give you. It's the first post-Loathering thing I did on a second play-through, largely because of how many inventory issues i ran into the first time around.

legend166

I started playing as an Elf Rogue and got up to Lothoren, but I wasn't really feeling it, so I started a new Human Mage. Anyone got any tips?

I'm planning on speccing my guy out as DPS. What are the best talents to get for that? Then I figure I'll use Morrigan as a healer, Alistair as the tank and whoever else as another DPS.

Anybody ever experienced the audio going out when in the middle of a conversation with any npc then resuming when that npc is finished talking, happened twice to me.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The game was better than I expected, but very buggy (playing on 360). Froze on me once, and it consistently seemed to develop lag between kills and loot showing up. That and when an event was considered completed. I could kill a boss, and the quest icon or enemy icon on my map would remain for up to 30 seconds. Restarting the game fixed it, and the lag started building up again.

The game is far easier as rogue if you quickly invest in lockpicking. You get mad experience and loot for unlocking and disarming traps.

Alucrid said:

1. In my experience, stuff the merchants sell isn't any better than loot. Exceptions are Backpacks, Silverlite/Darkspawn Runes, and very expensive and useful rings/accessories. There's a ring I ran across in the Dwarve commons called Lifegiver that gives something ridiculous like +6 health/sec. Costs 80+ gold though.

2. Sell them.

clashfan

dreamer3kx said:
Anybody ever experienced the audio going out when in the middle of a conversation with any npc then resuming when that npc is finished talking, happened twice to me.

Happened to me a couple of times on the 360.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
I started playing as an Elf Rogue and got up to Lothoren, but I wasn't really feeling it, so I started a new Human Mage. Anyone got any tips?

I'm planning on speccing my guy out as DPS. What are the best talents to get for that? Then I figure I'll use Morrigan as a healer, Alistair as the tank and whoever else as another DPS.
You get a healer as soon as you do the Circle of Magi after Lothering, so if you're ok doing that you might be better off building Morrigan as crowd control and general utility, since she gets a start in some of that already. I have Morrigan built for Blizzard, Mana Clash, Crushing Prison, and Mass Paralysis at the moment and it's a lot of fun. I probably manage her the most. I guess the DPS mage talents are mostly in the Primal section, but the Crushing Prison line is just so handy so get that too. The mage won't do as much sustained single target damage as a melee rogue. They make up for it with utility and AE damage.

teh_pwn said:
The game is far easier as rogue if you quickly invest in lockpicking. You get mad experience and loot for unlocking and disarming traps.
The experience is nice, but the loot generally isn't.

Fredescu said:
:lol

DA1 took six years to make. Are they going to be working on DLC and creating a fully fledged sequel, all within two years? I doubt it.

ss2004051803.jpg

ss2004051804.jpg

media8.jpg

the game was in development hell it seems, the art style alone changed greatly between years, and that's just the stuff they released to the public, got knows what was happening internally with the gameplay mechanics.

Wallach

Fredescu said:

Very true. I have yet to find much of any real worth in a locked chest, outside of some war paint for Dogmeat (my war hound).

Random question - is there any way to turn off helm graphics as there was in Mass Effect? Some of the helms look... a bit ridiculous on my human rogue.

legend166

Fredescu said:
You get a healer as soon as you do the Circle of Magi after Lothering, so if you're ok doing that you might be better off building Morrigan as crowd control and general utility, since she gets a start in some of that already. I have Morrigan built for Blizzard, Mana Clash, Crushing Prison, and Mass Paralysis at the moment and it's a lot of fun. I probably manage her the most. I guess the DPS mage talents are mostly in the Primal section, but the Crushing Prison line is just so handy so get that too. The mage won't do as much sustained single target damage as a melee rogue. They make up for it with utility and AE damage.

Maybe I'll try and stick with my rogue. I might go download that mod that lets me reset the talent points. I think I screwed up with Alistair so he's having trouble keeping the aggro.

_Xenon_

Banned
teh_pwn said:
The game was better than I expected, but very buggy (playing on 360). Froze on me once, and it consistently seemed to develop lag between kills and loot showing up. That and when an event was considered completed. I could kill a boss, and the quest icon or enemy icon on my map would remain for up to 30 seconds. Restarting the game fixed it, and the lag started building up again.
I got the same problem as well. Pretty annoying bug especially when you have to wait 30sec ~ 1 min to loot a key or other quest objects.
And some of the quests are bugged badlg. Got crash in one and got stuck in another (quest doesn't update).
fizzelopeguss said:
pics

the game was in development hell it seems, the art style alone changed greatly between years, and that's just the stuff they released to the public, got knows what was happening internally with the gameplay mechanics.
Are these early stage screen shots? Damn they look totally different from the final build. Pretty fucked up if it really took them 6 years (almost as long as WOW?)
legend166 said:
Maybe I'll try and stick with my rogue. I might go download that mod that lets me reset the talent points. I think I screwed up with Alistair so he's having trouble keeping the aggro.
Finished the game with human rogue and it's pretty fine. Max'ed all of rogue talents + 2 rows of dual weapon talents and my rogue contributed the most damage all time. Make sure to put paralysis rune stone on your main hand weapon. That thing even works on bosses.

Alright, just beat the game. It took me around 52 hours, I am level 21, most of my party members are 20. I still had side quests to complete, thought I would complete later. Just to let you all know, you can't play the game anymore after the final battle, no matter what choices you make. I wish I can though, I do want to complete the other quests I have, get my guy level up all the way to 25 or whatever is the highest.

Credits were long, 21 minutes in total. Good game Bioware, now make some downloadable content, that I will be able to play with my main character, that goes part with the story line or something, rather than just some side quests.

markatisu

dreamer3kx said:

Happens to me quite often on the 360 when I play for a long time

_Xenon_ said:
Are these early stage screen shots? Damn they look totally different from the final build. Pretty fucked up if it really took them 6 years (almost as long as WOW?)

Those first 2 screens were before jade empires release. 2004, even then they'd been working on the game for a while. :lol

The 3rd screen was from a build close to "the witchers" release. so 2007, a huge gap. between info and media releases.

ss2004051801.jpg

ss2004051802.jpg

is it just me or does that guy look a little like oghren?

hope people don't mind me posting these, quite a fascinating glimpse of what the game looked like. i wonder if those old builds exist and are still playable?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That old stuff was also made in the NWN engine, they started there, then decided to make new tech, but kept building stuff in NWN to prototype it.

Wallach

Fredescu said:
I didn't use a melee rogue on my first playthrough. Second time around I'm playing one and I'm seriously wowed by the DPS. Sure they're basically a one trick class, but christ they're good at that trick.

Been playing my rogue most of tonight and they really do crank out damage. You can generally obliterate one target by yourself without it getting the opportunity to retaliate.

There are a lot of different ways to build a rogue in this game it looks like, but it looks like dual daggers with pumping the hell out of cunning (w/ lethality) is the highest DPS way to go.

saiftk

Banned
I'm having trouble with the blood dragon armour DLC.
I went to dragonage.bioware.com/redeem and entered my code. After it is redeemed it then says start DAO and log in to your EA account. How do I do that ingame? Or do I do that on my PC? The downloadable content menu in the game doesn't mention the armour? So how do I install the armour? Any ideas?

Meier

Ordered this today during the $34.99 sale. Can't wait to try it although I am currently backlogged pretty heavily already.

Meier said:
Ordered this today during the $34.99 sale. Can't wait to try it although I am currently backlogged pretty heavily already.

This game has made clearing my backlog pretty hopeless, 15 hours in and im only upto redcliff village...

For those who finished 'The Landsmeet', got a question.
Was anyone able to recruit Loghain and still keep Alistair in the party? No matter how I do it, I am only having one by the end of all the conversations.

panda21

oh wow. the ps3 version framerate is terrible. i thought one of the reviews said the ps3 version was better than the 360?!

still an awesome game though, enjoying it much more than i was expecting to.

panda21 said:
oh wow. the ps3 version framerate is terrible. i thought one of the reviews said the ps3 version was better than the 360?!

still an awesome game though, enjoying it much more than i was expecting to.

All the reviews said 360 had a better frame rate whereas the PS3 has better textures, im 15 hours into the PS3 version and haven't noticed any frame rate issues what so ever.

The earliest parts of the game after your origin were some of the few parts that would stutter a bit on my GTX 260 (no 5850s in stock anywhere QQ). So if you're just hitting some chop there it'll probably clear out later on in the game on the PS3.

Been playing my rogue most of tonight and they really do crank out damage. You can generally obliterate one target by yourself without it getting the opportunity to retaliate.

There are a lot of different ways to build a rogue in this game it looks like, but it looks like dual daggers with pumping the hell out of cunning (w/ lethality) is the highest DPS way to go.

I've only done one DPS melee in my games so far, but one of the problems I'm having (on nightmare, where I think the enemies get a bit of a bonus to defense) is miss rate outside if you aren't flanking. This usually means a lot of time spent positioning and not as much killing.

I'll probably respec Leliana to melee and give it a whirl to see how that the damage compares to the hassle-free sustained DPS of rapid fire+master archer+shortbow.

Fragamemnon said:
The earliest parts of the game after your origin were some of the few parts that would stutter a bit on my GTX 260 (no 5850s in stock anywhere QQ). So if you're just hitting some chop there it'll probably clear out later on in the game on the PS3.

I've only done one DPS melee in my games so far, but one of the problems I'm having (on nightmare, where I think the enemies get a bit of a bonus to defense) is miss rate outside if you aren't flanking. This usually means a lot of time spent positioning and not as much killing.

I'll probably respec Leliana to melee and give it a whirl to see how that the damage compares to the hassle-free sustained DPS of rapid fire+master archer+shortbow.

I have 'Rogue' as my main character, however, I still did not do a damage of 250 yet. I am level 20, have my strength/dexterity as 35/38, cunning/willpower both 20+. Any ideas of how I can do more damage per single blow while using duals? I am trying to get the achievement for it. Any specific talents/skills that I will have to use?

ram

playing this for over 30 hours now
and killed the high dragon and found andrastes ashes
. its good, but now way its a successor to baldurs gate. why? presentation is ugly (man the game looks like a bad ps2 port) and the universe is kinda generic. i dont know why, but even a setting in the forgotten realms would be more intresting.

Shinjitsu

Banned
akachan ningen said:
I've been playing a couple of hours, I'm now at the tower. Anyway, my dog caught on fire, how do I put him out?

Uhh what? Fire isn't some long debuff or anything...it just goes away after a while.

panda21

kyo_daikun said:
All the reviews said 360 had a better frame rate whereas the PS3 has better textures, im 15 hours into the PS3 version and haven't noticed any frame rate issues what so ever.

:S its really bad

its still playable but in open areas if you do anything other than look at the ground its very jerky, like single figures in some places.

is the 'radar' direction thing always really jerky on the pc/360 even when the framerate is ok (like it updates slower than the actual framerate) or is that actually how bad the framerate is?

can you zoom out the viewpoint in the console versions? they did it in the pc quicklook but i cant figure out how to on ps3

voltron

_Xenon_ said:

I feel I have passed the point of no return as far as getting companion quests for
Sten, Ohgren, and Wynn

I assume gifts are required to nudge them past certain coversational road blocks? And as I am at the end of the game (about to do final battle), and gifts as a finite resource have dried up, Im shit outta luck?

Ah well, at least I banged Lel & Morr.

_Xenon_

Banned
voltron said:
I feel I have passed the point of no return as far as getting companion quests for
Sten, Ohgren, and Wynn

I assume gifts are required to nudge them past certain coversational road blocks? And as I am at the end of the game (about to do final battle), and gifts as a finite resource have dried up, Im shit outta luck?

Ah well, at least I banged Lel & Morr.
I'm not sure how you missed Oghren because the game forces him to your party at one point and he will stick with your party regardless. Unless you pissed him off really hard after the event. About others, well ... good luck next play through I guess ...

Actually I believe you can get most of personal quests with conversation only. Approval rate is easy this time (except Sten I guess). And about gift, you gotta find the right thing for the right guy/girl. The effect of gift decreases each time.

So I just got into Dragon Age today and holy crap. I didn't think I'd like it but I started playing just after lunch and it's um, nearly 1am. Yeeah. This game rocks. I made an elven ranger but I decided I didn't like it at about level 9 so I'm about to restart and make a two handed warrior.

Hopefully it turns out more my style.

MrDaravon

sweetvar26 said:
For those who finished 'The Landsmeet', got a question.
Was anyone able to recruit Loghain and still keep Alistair in the party? No matter how I do it, I am only having one by the end of all the conversations.

Nope, it's not possible.

Chris_C

I just noticed an "Other Campaigns" tab that's greyed out on my main menu, I don't remember seeing it before. What's it for?

Top Bottom