• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Tideas

Banned
Killthee said:
Also make sure they're using an offensive behavior that goes after the enemies instead of the default/defensive behaviors.

well, I would assume "Attack" would be an offensive behavior wouldn't it?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Tideas said:
well, I would assume "Attack" would be an offensive behavior wouldn't it?
I'm talking about the tactics behaviors/fighting stances (Default, Ranged, Cautious, Aggressive, etc...). A defensive behavior would be one like Cautious (This party member will not fight back when attacked in melee combat and will try to run away from enemies. If not engaged in combat, this character will try to stay close to the player. This party member will flee the location of a harmful area-of-effect attack.). While a offensive behavior would be one like Aggressive (This party member will attack enemies the moment they are visible. The character will fight back if attacked in melee combat and will chase down enemies, but will not flee the locations of a harmful area-of-effect attack unless directed.). Try playing around with them until you get the party member to do what you want.

bishopcruz said:
What where is this? (the second one.)
Denerim.
You have open the door to one of the rooms near the Arl Howe's dungeon entrance to see the scene.
:lol

Last night while thumbing through the DA manual, for some reason I started thinking about how Nolan North (most famous for voiceover work as Nathan Drake) lends his voice to what seems like damn near every video game that gets released these days. I turned to the back of the manual to check out the voice credits, not really expecting to see Nolan's name, but lo and behold....there it was!!! Props to him. Dude must be doing well for himself I suppose. He just gets a random credit, apparently not a main role (did not name the character(s) he voiced).

Son of Godzilla said:
This is the most spoiler heavy official thread ever. You seriously should not read it while playing through.

This. I kept up with this thread until the game was released, then when I realized I was falling behind the thread story-wise, I stopped visiting until I beat it.

I just stared playing a few nights ago. I love it so far, although I wish the art were just a light touch more stylized. Not as far as WoW or Darksiders, but maybe 20% in that direction. This is my first Bioware game, though, and I see I've really missed out.

Hey, question, is the War Mage amulet from DA: Journeys supposed to just show up in my inventory? I'm definitely logged in to both games with the same account, but I don't see it.

markatisu

ElectricBlue187 said:
Biggest WTF moment of the game. That and the
Guard getting blowjob

I just encountered this last night :lol

I had to take a double take and ask my wife if we saw what we think we did

BeeDog

Duane Cunningham said:
Hey, question, is the War Mage amulet from DA: Journeys supposed to just show up in my inventory? I'm definitely logged in to both games with the same account, but I don't see it.

I had the exact problem too, didn't show up on the Bioware Social website nor ingame, so I mailed the DA Journey dudes on the mail provided at the Flash game site, and they fixed it for me fast. :D

I've said this before but I am really impressed with the entire Glyph skill line during my mage playthrough, especially Repulsion :D.

Is that skill line considered a no brainer for Mage characters? If not it should be.

Exhumed

Anerythristic said:
I've said this before but I am really impressed with the entire Glyph skill line during my mage playthrough, especially Repulsion :D.

Is that skill line considered a no brainer for Mage characters? If not it should be.

Loved that line.
Never really used the last one but the Glyph of Repulsion, Warding, and Paralyze came in handy. Not to mention how awesome Paralyze Explosion was :D

Anerythristic said:

Very useful line, not musts though.

A complete no-brainer would be the sleep/paralyze/Spirit healer lines.

ShogunX

Just started the game for the first time tonight (360) and im hoping I can manage to overlook the bad textures that are pretty much everywhere in the castle.

Also why does everyone so far have yellow/green/black teeth? Authenticity?

npm0925

The gameplay on the PS3 version is downright wretched. The set camera angle, cumbersome menu system, and lack of skill slots effectively negates whatever tactical / strategic elements battles may have on the PC version. I am tempted to adjust the difficulty slider to "easy" and button mash my way through the remainder of the game just for the story elements. It's either that or 50 hours of slog.

Shogun PaiN said:
Just started the game for the first time tonight (360) and im hoping I can manage to overlook the bad textures that are pretty much everywhere in the castle.

Also why does everyone so far have yellow/green/black teeth? Authenticity?

I thought about that too. Then it occurred to me that other characters in fantasy fiction probably had rotten teeth as well.

gotee12

npm0925 said:
The gameplay on the PS3 version is downright wretched. The set camera angle, cumbersome menu system, and lack of skill slots effectively negates whatever tactical / strategic elements battles may have on the PC version. I am tempted to adjust the difficulty slider to "easy" and button mash my way through the remainder of the game just for the story elements. It's either that or 50 hours of slog.

I really don't know why Bioware didn't include optional keyboard/mouse support in the PS3 version. That is unless being able to scale back the view would've made the frame rate worse. Though I don't know how much worse the frame rate could get...

I'd love to have a gaming class pc just for this game, but alas, I'm stuck with the console and all the issues that ensue.

Grayman

gotee12 said:
I really don't know why Bioware didn't include optional keyboard/mouse support in the PS3 version. That is unless being able to scale back the view would've made the frame rate worse. Though I don't know how much worse the frame rate could get...

I'd love to have a gaming class pc just for this game, but alas, I'm stuck with the console and all the issues that ensue.
I think UT3 is the only game that has bothered with the kb and mouse support

Fredescu

gotee12 said:
Initial builds of the console versions allowed you to zoom in and out with the gamepad. It was removed for performance reasons.

sweetvar26 said:
Anyway, a new add-on called 'Return to Ostagar' is announced. Link here.
That was announced a week or two ago. Still waiting on a release date.

gotee12

Fredescu said:
Initial builds of the console versions allowed you to zoom in and out with the gamepad. It was removed for performance reasons.

Hopefully the first PS3 patch will address the current performance issues...

eznark

Banned
Just made it to Denerim after gathering my army. I'm level 18ish with everyone and put an absurd amount of time into the game thus far.

Just curious...how much is left at this point?

Also, this may be my favorite game of all time. Especially now that I got the camp storage mod.

Playing on the PC if that matters (PS3 version will be here Monday, hoping to finish on the PC so I can start as a mage on the PS3).

Sascha23

Banned
eznark said:
Just made it to Denerim after gathering my army. I'm level 18ish with everyone and put an absurd amount of time into the game thus far.

You will be putting in quite a bit more time. I'd say you're about 70% through with the main storyline.

eznark

Banned
Sascha23 said:
eznark said:

You will be putting in quite a bit more time. I'd say you're about 70% through with the main storyline.
Wow, I've literally put in at least 50 hours to this point. My bioware page says like 200, but I'm pretty sure I've just left it on in the background.

eznark

Banned
Fredescu said:
Was thinking of giving the PS3 version a shot too. Will be interested to hear how you find it after finishing the PC version.
I'll play through an origin story as soon as I get it and let you know.

JayDubya

Banned
eznark said:

Just curious...how much is left at this point?

Also, this may be my favorite game of all time. Especially now that I got the camp storage mod.

Playing on the PC if that matters (PS3 version will be here Monday, hoping to finish on the PC so I can start as a mage on the PS3).

Depends. If you're only L18, there's probably a bit of sidequest content left undone. Probably in Denerim.

But yeah, the Landsmeet through the endgame is about... oh I dunno, 4-6 hours your first time, presuming you don't die-restart a lot and you watch all the cutscenes.

Mystagogue said:
Last night while thumbing through the DA manual, for some reason I started thinking about how Nolan North (most famous for voiceover work as Nathan Drake) lends his voice to what seems like damn near every video game that gets released these days. I turned to the back of the manual to check out the voice credits, not really expecting to see Nolan's name, but lo and behold....there it was!!! Props to him. Dude must be doing well for himself I suppose. He just gets a random credit, apparently not a main role (did not name the character(s) he voiced).

I think I heard rather a lot of the BG regulars, but clearly I misheard a few voices as well. The tutor in the human origins was clearly Jim Cummings (Gorion, Minsc), and Cam Clarke showed up more than once too. I thought the ancient tree was Kevin Richardson (Sarevok), but looks like I would have to be wrong.

Cjkorea

Just got the game in the mail from amazon.com for the Ps3.

Have not opened it yet... after reading review after review, watching gameplay videos, and reading through some of this thread, I still cannot figure out if I am going to like this game.

I know of the technical problems with it, I'm mostly concerned about the gameplay. The fighting doesn't look very impressive from videos I've seen. I really like the element of deciding your own fate based on the decisions you make and how you answer questions. (probably my favorite part of the powerpros games for wii) I want to like this game but don't want to make the mistake of opening it and hating it.

I still have the opportunity to go to walmart and trade it for Assassins Creed 2 or Demon's souls which I'm considering. My favorite RPG is Dragon Quest 8, but I've probably only played about 5 or 6 RPGs in my life. None which are similar to Dragon Age

Fredescu

cjrocksforever said:
The fighting doesn't look very impressive from videos I've seen.
The combat is the best part of the game. I can't speak for whether it would be to your tastes or not though. You could check out the Giant Bomb Quick Look for the 360 version but that is fairly early on in the game. Soon enough you'll be fighting groups of 15+ enemies and having to balance your party and pause to manage all their actions etc. It can be fairly strategic. If you prefer more action focused combat, Demon's Souls is a great choice.

Chris R

So could someone please explain why my main char (an archer) will switch to knives and rush in to attack (I use my main to scout ahead and then switch to the tank like character) when I have no tactic set to do that? Also why are some tactics brown while others are red (ya know in the tactics screen). Just started going up the tower at the start of the game, I know :lol so much to learn and do before I'm even close to being done.

rhfb said:
So could someone please explain why my main char (an archer) will switch to knives and rush in to attack (I use my main to scout ahead and then switch to the tank like character) when I have no tactic set to do that?

Pretty sure that is default behavior when the character is not set to the 'ranged' behavior and is instead on cautious/default or what not.

Killthee

rhfb said:
So could someone please explain why my main char (an archer) will switch to knives and rush in to attack (I use my main to scout ahead and then switch to the tank like character) when I have no tactic set to do that? Also why are some tactics brown while others are red (ya know in the tactics screen). Just started going up the tower at the start of the game, I know :lol so much to learn and do before I'm even close to being done.
Behaviors. Sounds like your archer is using an offensive behavior or the default one. Switch it to Ranged (Go to Tactics, behaviors are at the top of the screen).

Chris R

Ah didn't see that. Assumed the tactics were all. Also is there a button to attack nearest enemy? After I kill one monster my party members move on to the next target but who ever I'm controlling dosent.

Also having a Mage have an aoe tactic isn't a good idea :lol :lol :lol

Killthee

rhfb said:
Ah didn't see that. Assumed the tactics were all. Also is there a button to attack nearest enemy? After I kill one monster my party members move on to the next target but who ever I'm controlling dosent.

Also having a Mage have an aoe tactic isn't a good idea :lol :lol :lol
Hitting the attack button will automatically move the controlled character if required. For example, if my mage is equipped with a sword and I target an enemy across the room and then press the attack button (X for PS3, A for 360 I'm assuming), he'll automatically chase after the enemy and move into attack range. If you disrupt the movement by moving the joystick it'll cancel the attack/auto-movement.

cgcg

Fredescu said:

That can't be right. PC version gives pretty big framerate boost when zoomed out.

DeathNote said:
Is the ps3 version bad? Fixing to start it in the next few days,

No, ps3 version is fine, there's some lag during the larger battles but it looks and plays just fine, 360 version has less lag but looks a bit worse.

ACE 1991

dreamer3kx said:
No, ps3 version is fine, there's some framerate slowdown during the larger battles but it looks and plays just fine, 360 version has less framerate issues but looks a bit worse.

Fixed

gotee12

DeathNote said:
Is the ps3 version bad? Fixing to start it in the next few days,

Depends on your own personal definition of frame rate lag. To some folks, it's not bad at all. To others, like me, it's too much.

Whether there's a ton of mobs on the screen or not, the frame rate constantly skips and lags. Even during most of the cutscenes, I notice a lot of frame rate issues. The frame rate is not bad enough though for me to not want to play. I'm still having a blast with the game! It's just I'm constantly reminded of how badly (IMHO) this game needs a frame rate/performance patch.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finally finished Dragon Age last night. I enjoyed it. At times it dragged and the technical problems with the console versions are frustrating, but it's a good game.
The final battle was pretty tough, I beat it on my 3rd try by playing as Wynne and repeatedly healing and boosting the rest of my party as they fought the dragon. Fuckin Alistar is useless, though, he would go down instantly everytime. I wasn't gonna let him sacrifice himself at first but after he pissed me off by sucking I decided that I'd rather he died.
Now I'm restarting as a Elf mage, it's interesting to see a certain character in the origin story that only had a small part in my previous playthrough.

Oh yeah and I finished at one notch below level 20, so I probably can't get the lvl 20 warrior trophy. Oh well.

Kosma

Banned
Finished it last night too, definately my GOTY.

I have different views on the final batlle then you Snuggler:
It was a breeze on my first try! Both my mages (Wynne and Morigan) died at 40% and I finished it with Sten and me in melee and just potions. The mages and elfs I called in during the battle helped a lot too.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Just finished my 4th play threw of this, honestly it ranks up with fallout 1&2, BG 1&2 and Planescape Torment for me. The party banter, combat and overall feel (a lot of it was the music and combat for me I think) just feels fucking right. Please people if you can play this on PC.:D

Snuggler said:
So I finally finished Dragon Age last night.
Kosma said:
Heh. Same here, except for the GOTY part.

I must have died 6-7 died against
the Archdemon
Actually, I forgot to check if we could summon the army in that last fight.

Decent game, with some pretty boring parts unfortunately.
Brecilian forest, Orzammar/Dust Town and the goddamn Fade to name a few

I don't think I'll be replaying this on the 360 anytime soon.
I might pick it up on PC once good mods pop out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kosma said:
I have different views on the final batlle then you Snuggler:

In my first two attempts, I just went in without any strategy, all of my teammates except for my warrior were wiped out pretty fast and I only survived until halfway when all the darkspawn join in. Once I had an actual plan (playing as Wynne) it wasn't too hard, I finished with 2 standing teammates and most of my potions unused.
I played it on PS3 and most of the time I didn't bother with strategy. That was the first time I actually had to plan it out to succeed. It was satisfying, though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Beat it at 33 hours on Normal. X360 edition. Probably my runner up to GOTY after SF4 :D I want a sequel.. OR SOMETHING!! =P.

Nice ending. What should I tackle now with? Elf?

Top Bottom