• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

conman

DeathNote said:
Is the ps3 version bad? Fixing to start it in the next few days,
I've also got my PS3 copy sitting on the shelf. I'm wondering if folks bashing the console versions are just everyday, run-of-the-mill PC elitists, or if there are actually serious issues with the console versions that make them not worth playing.

Once upon a time I was an avid PC RPG gamer (Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate, Morrowind), but now I don't have the money (or desire, frankly) to upgrade my PC to play DA on it. But for folks who don't have a gaming PC, is the console version of DA really that bad? Will I, as a former PC RPG gamer, be disgusted with the interface?

I'm not really concerned with graphical issues (framerate, resolution, etc). I'm more wondering about mechanical issues like the lack of an overhead view or the use of radial menus.

falastini

On my first playthrough... got stuck on a bug in the first Redcliffe encounter. Apparently it's not that rare. I went insane for an hour, with the battle music looping, trying to figure out why it won't end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgSQO_g_3GI

Just a warning to anyone headed there, make sure you save right before your first encounter there, or else you get stuck like me :(.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What the fuck.

I got the Dog, and got the prompt to name him. I chose to name him "Woofy". After I finished naming him, I couldn't activate any in-game prompts. Couldn't exit to the world map, couldn't trigger any controls in the menu screens.

I exit to the main menu and reload the save. The Dog's name is a long hex string... something like E9CAF337819A7A. Edit: Actually, the Dog seems to be named my download code for the DLC which was the last thing I entered on an Xbox input prompt.

Is there any way to rename the Dog? This is totally stupid.

And... looks like I'm fucked.

GJ BioWare.

conman said:
I've also got my PS3 copy sitting on the shelf. I'm wondering if folks bashing the console versions are just everyday, run-of-the-mill PC elitists, or if there are actually serious issues with the console versions that make them not worth playing.

Once upon a time I was an avid PC RPG gamer (Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate, Morrowind), but now I don't have the money (or desire, frankly) to upgrade my PC to play DA on it. But for folks who don't have a gaming PC, is the console version of DA really that bad? Will I, as a former PC RPG gamer, be disgusted with the interface?

I'm not really concerned with graphical issues (framerate, resolution, etc). I'm more wondering about mechanical issues like the lack of an overhead view or the use of radial menus.

Here's the crux with the console version of Dragon Age in terms of their control etc.

Did you enjoy KOTOR? Did the camera angle annoy you? Did you find managing fights etc perfectly acceptable? If so, you'll be fine with DA, as it's almost exactly the same system. In fact, the hotkeys (buttons?) and radial menus are easier to manage than the KOTOR systems, so that's a development.

I loved it. I played it through, loved it, and will play it again. It's a great game; don't let moaners put you off.

conman said:

Then you have nothing to worry about. The only thing that bugged me was that the default radial menu setting required you to hold down a shoulder button. It is easily changed to a simple tap-on/tap-off setting, but it was annoying nonetheless.

conman

whatevermort said:
Did you enjoy KOTOR? Did the camera angle annoy you? Did you find managing fights etc perfectly acceptable? If so, you'll be fine with DA, as it's almost exactly the same system. In fact, the hotkeys (buttons?) and radial menus are easier to manage than the KOTOR systems, so that's a development.
Played KOTOR on PC, but I get the idea. Thanks.

My biggest worry was with battle management. I like the isometric BG games and the ability to pause and just point and click commands, so I'm really just wondering if battle management is a hassle on the console. Anyhow, sounds like I won't know if it annoys me or not until I give it a whirl. Once I finish Assassin's Creed 2, I'll break the seal and jump in. Cool.

gotee12

I'm really getting a kick out of how well written/developed the characters are. It makes it a real challenge in picking my party members. Shale is awesome! I loved it when he
stomped the chicken right after you first get him.
And a lot of the interactions between the characters are hilarious as well!

After 75 hours, 6 minutes and 52 seconds... I have completed this epic game. I loved the entire game through and through. Sure, the Fade was annoying but it was a great change of pace. The final battles leading up the Archdemon were epic and put me through the ringer. I had several encounters where it just one of my party members left standing. I'm still reflecting on the entire experience.

Bravo BioWare, bravo.

I've never played the BG series and now I'm severely tempted to hunt down copies to play on my Macbook Pro. I'm wonder if they'll even work in Snow Leopard... or on an Intel chip for that matter.

squall211

Holy crap can someone fill me in on what you are supposed to do when defending
Redcliffe at night?

I got through the first phase of attacks near the windmill just fine, but the second round of fighting further down seems like the enemies keep coming in an endless spawn. I keep running out of potions and eventually get killed.

Peff

Would the game run fine with a Radeon X1300? I've holding off trying to decide whether to buy it for a console or for PC so if I knew it ran smoothly I'd pick it up there hearing all this stuff about both console versions. Wish there was a demo or something :-/

Sanjuro

I beat the game a few nights ago. One of the most rewarding RPGs I have played in a very long time and by far the best character story driven game I have ever played.

However the ending I got was incredibly sad. I became depressed and cried myself to sleep. Fuck You BioWare.

Erudite

markot said:
Anyone actually excited for the DLC that was announced >.>?

Seems so stupid...
I'm more excited to see what the mod community might come up with. Though the way things have been progressing thus far, it might be awhile before we see substantial additions of new areas rather than the plentiful amount of face morphs that are being posted.

Nevertheless, some of the standout ones for me so far have been the ones that improve the graphics of the game. Shame I can't use JBTextures since I'm only running on 2GB of Ram, but HDR Textures seems to have made a noticeable difference without making much of a hitch on performance.

I'm hoping Bioware manages to push out noteworthy DLC next year (I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of a new town accompanied by multiple quests), rather than what seems to be short dungeons with loot at the end so far.

markot

Banned
Meh, seems like they are trying to just make some money with the least amount of investment possible. But I think decent quests and campaigns would be alot better then just some stupid quests for armour and crap.

Who plays wrpgs for loots >.<?

legend166

squall211 said:
Holy crap can someone fill me in on what you are supposed to do when defending
Redcliffe at night?

I got through the first phase of attacks near the windmill just fine, but the second round of fighting further down seems like the enemies keep coming in an endless spawn. I keep running out of potions and eventually get killed.

That bit was ridiculously difficult when compared to the rest of the game so far for me (about 18 hours in now). So much so I just put it on it on easy, and it still took me 3-4 tries. What I did:

When all my party members died, I just got the aggro of the mobs and ran up to the top section where all the knights were. I just ran around hoping not to get hit whilst they killed them slowly. What's annoying is the knights seemingly can't get aggro, so they have to chase the monsters whilst you're running :lol It takes patience but should eventually work.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I beat the game a few nights ago. One of the most rewarding RPGs I have played in a very long time and by far the best character story driven game I have ever played.

However the ending I got was incredibly sad. I became depressed and cried myself to sleep. Fuck You BioWare.

Pussy.

:D

Jenga

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:

:lol

My ending was pretty awesome and I felt awesome the rest of the day :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
markot said:
Meh, seems like they are trying to just make some money with the least amount of investment possible. But I think decent quests and campaigns would be alot better then just some stupid quests for armour and crap.

Everyone who played Diablo/Sacred/Titan's Quest.

Ploid 3.0

SanjuroTsubaki said:

Could you tell me what happened in your ending? Maybe in PM if you don't want to risk someone highlighting it? I loved the endings I got so far. None of mine were all that sad though. I'm definitely going to do some things different next time.

Jenga said:
:lol

My ending was pretty awesome and I felt awesome the rest of the day :)

Mine was very awesome too. Even choices I thought would be bad turned out interesting.

Edit:
I recently played Titans Quest and uninstalled it when my Dragon Age disk was on it's way. I expected at least a good amount of great loot. Here's hoping for Diablo 3 soon.

Mindlog

gotee12 said:
I'm really getting a kick out of how well written/developed the characters are. It makes it a real challenge in picking my party members. Shale is awesome! I loved it when he
stomped the chicken right after you first get him.
And a lot of the interactions between the characters are hilarious as well!

*interaction spoiler*

My favorite interaction was probably
drink
ing Oghren's
beer
. After you pass out reply with, "That's it?" He laughs and chums it up.

The first time I played through was a real downer.

Fuck the characterization is this is soooo damn good!

I'm mostly at the beginning still but was genuinely sad when
Duncan fell
=(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Orzammar is so long. I swear, i've spent around 8-10 hours on this part alone.:lol I think i'm right at the end though.
just met with blanka

ethelred

markot said:
Anyone actually excited for the DLC that was announced >.>?

Seems so stupid...
markot said:

I'm pretty excited for Return to Ostagar, yeah. I intend to buy it as soon as it comes out (and that'll be a good justification for starting up the third playthrough I've kinda been itching to do). While BioWare is trying to make money (obviously) this is hardly the least amount of investment possible (horse armor?), and so far I'm enjoying the additional stuff they're putting out. I know plenty of people had lots of criticisms for Warden's Keep, but I had a lot of fun with it and thought the area and battles were nicely done, as were the bits of additional story. And I loved Stone Prisoner, not only for all the additional stuff that Shale adds to the game but also because I enjoyed the Honnleath and Cadash Thaig dungeons.

Given that Return to Ostagar is 2$ cheaper than Warden's Keep, which I enjoyed, I don't really have a problem. I don't really think of it as adding nothing to my game other than some armor, as I'll get a new quest that I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with and that'll be available for me in all future playthroughs. Aside from the dungeons and the encounters, I'm also pretty certain I'll enjoy the additional dialogue from the characters... given that BioWare has stated that they had the voice actors record additional lines for those characters who were originally at Ostagar. I think it'll be fun.

And loot is pretty great, too.

Jenga said:
I'd rather have them work on a sequel or an expansion but that's just me.

There's an entirely separate team working on the premium content for the game, so what they do doesn't really impact on the larger team's ability to do a full fledged sequel -- which they wouldn't be doing too much work on at this point beyond pre-production stuff, anyway, since they've planned for two years of additional content for DA1 and because 2 years is a good timeframe to wait before releasing a sequel anyway.

As far as larger expansions go, they've stated very clearly that they intend to release a large variety of DLC ranging from shorter quests to longer, more traditional expansion packs. But in order to get to that point, they first need to ensure the profitability of the separate team and the fastest way to do that is by starting out with the shorter quests. Of course, that approach kind of makes sense from a developmental perspective anyway; it seems smarter to me for a team to do shorter, easier content before diving into the meatier stuff. And I'm okay with them taking the smarter, more efficient approach in ensuring profitability because I want this game to do well.

So... I don't really feel like their time is being wasted.

Lafiel said:
Orzammar is so long. I swear, i've spent around 8-10 hours on this part alone.:lol I think i'm right at the end though.
just met with blanka

Either you're Japanese or you've spent way too much time playing Street Fighter 2.

ethelred said:
I'm pretty excited for Return to Ostagar, yeah. I intend to buy it as soon as it comes out (and that'll be a good justification for starting up the third playthrough I've kinda been itching to do).

lol yeah, same here. Thinking arcane warrior and bloodmage.

So I'm at the end of the game and I'm very quickly regretting
turning down Morrigans offer. First of all, she's probably the most effective party member I have other than my main, and in some ways she's even stronger given her ability to freeze enemies and use AoE spells. I want to stick to my morals but I made it to the end dragon and my party just isn't anywhere near effective enough without her. At the same time though I want to stick to my morals and not be Morrigans bitch either. What to do GAF? I don't think I can win this fight without her.

BeeDog

I just checked my Bioware Social page and just now noticed that The Edge has been added to my "registered game promotions" page. When did this happen? :D

BeeDog said:
I just checked my Bioware Social page and just now noticed that The Edge has been added to my "registered game promotions" page. When did this happen? :D

Probably 5 days ago, it was everyone who registered the game before 30th of november.

Im struggling on my first playthrough, going to definetly get some pointers for my second play through as getting constantly battered isn't much fun :(

Acidote

BeeDog said:

It's something they've given to everyone who has registered the game on the social site.

Dark FaZe said:
turning down Morrigans offer. First of all, she's probably the most effective party member I have other than my main, and in some ways she's even stronger given her ability to freeze enemies and use AoE spells. I want to stick to my morals but I made it to the end dragon and my party just isn't anywhere near effective enough without her. At the same time though I want to stick to my morals and not be Morrigans bitch either. What to do GAF? I don't think I can win this fight without her.
I don't understand why would you
refuse her offer, really, the only drawback is if you're romancing her because well, after spending hours developing a "relationship", you'll surely feel she's kicked your balls.
Morally speaking there's no real indication she's gonna raise the children for any intrinsically evil purposes, and, you get to save both yourself an Alistair, so I for one don't see any reason to refuse her, and to be honest she's the best asset to the whole party IMO

BeeDog

Ah, thanks for the clarification guys.

Funny side-note; after seeing The Edge on my Social page, I started the game up to start the ingame DL of it. The funny thing though was the picture of the item (while it still hadn't been downloaded); it was some kind of helmet on a skull or something similar, NOT the blade that shows up on the Social site. Forgot to take a screenie of it; does anyone know what that item is?

Charles

Dark FaZe said:

An easier way to get through the final battle is to
go up to the ballista closest to archdemon and repeatedly firing at him. It's almost impossible to die, but it's a bit cheap.

Tony Redgrave said:
I don't understand why would you
refuse her offer, really, the only drawback is if you're romancing her because well, after spending hours developing a "relationship", you'll surely feel she's kicked your balls.
Morally speaking there's no real indication she's gonna raise the children for any intrinsically evil purposes, and, you get to save both yourself an Alistair, so I for one don't see any reason to refuse her, and to be honest she's the best asset to the whole party IMO

Because
allowing the spirit of that thing to continue just to save my guys life is pointless imo. Plus that shit is just plain freaky. And fuck Morrigan that's also why :lol

Anyway I beat the game. Great experience. Probably my Goty so far.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
This games autosave sucks. Just played about 3 hours, thought I was perfectly save, when suddenly I get overpowered in Denerim by thugs. All of my people die and I lose 3 hours of playtime :( FML

ethelred

Des0lar said:
This games autosave sucks. Just played about 3 hours, thought I was perfectly save, when suddenly I get overpowered in Denerim by thugs. All of my people die and I lose 3 hours of playtime :( FML

So... that would be why you save manually, if you've gone three hours without completing a quest. This is a shining example of user error more than the system itself sucking.

Des0lar said:

God knows how you managed that, the game saves (on 360 at least) before any major event or when you enter any significant new area.

Walshicus

So does anyone have a complete list of the possible allies you can gather for the
final assault
?

Obviously you're tasked to get the Mages, Arl Eamon's forces, the Dwarves and the Elves, and I know about the alternative of getting
the Werewolves
but are there any others?

ethelred

randomlyrossy said:
God knows how you managed that, the game saves (on 360 at least) before any major event or when you enter any significant new area.

Seriously. :lol

Sir Fragula said:
So does anyone have a complete list of the possible allies you can gather for the
final assault
?

Obviously you're tasked to get the Mages, Arl Eamon's forces, the Dwarves and the Elves, and I know about the alternative of getting
the Werewolves
but are there any others?

You can get templars instead of mages, and you can get golems if you use the Anvil of the Void.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
ethelred said:
So... that would be why you save manually, if you've gone three hours without completing a quest. This is a shining example of user error more than the system itself sucking.

Having an autosave being made every 30 minutes wouldn't be too hard, now would it?

Top Bottom