• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

kai3345

Banned
Spoo said:
Welp, I picked this up today for 360
(Which is probably my biggest mistake, but alas I doubt my laptop could handle the *real* version all that well)
and am about 4 hours or so into it; I just got Morrigon on my team.

So far, I like it, but there's a lot to it that's dissapointing (having just gotten off the magical high that is Mass Effect). But I'm thinking it just has to do with the fact that I have the 360 version -- with the exception that your main character is not voiced. The battles, so far, are almost mindless. I just walk in, hit my sustainables, and occasionally -- so far, almost never -- hit the "quick heal" button. It's not so much that I'm asking for more difficulty as I am slightly more interesting combat. I know that using the "Tactics" must be a big deal except that it isn't (so far). Everyone seems to do just fine :\

I don't know. I'm probably just choking on my own vomit here since I knew before-hand that the console versions were dumbed-down and slightly easier, but so far I feel pretty dissapointed (even though I DO feel compelled to like it thanks to what it does well so far). Really hoping it gets great within the next 6 hours for me, 'cuz otherwise I may just end up closing the door on this one :(
That's what I thought at first but the combat gets pretty intense at times even moreso at later parts in the game.

But if the game continues to be too easy simply turn the diifficulty up.

SRG01

Well, I just finished Dragon-Age tonight. My impressions:

- By far, it is the most technically impressive RPG I've played to date. This game runs buttery smooth on the PC with nearly no bugs.
- In terms of plot and gameplay, it is
one of the most disappointing RPGs I've played in a long time. They tried to improve upon the strategy/tactical RPG genre by adding tactics, but it doesn't add much to the gameplay at all. The game's somewhat hard, not because of the enemies themselves, but because: a) the game favors kiting and magic way too much (and thus the only way the AI can truly beat you is by swarming), b) item creation is too restrictive (unlike The Witcher), c) disproportionate inventory size to item drop ratio. As for plot, it suffers too much from the binary saintly/asshole choices with no grey areas in between. It doesn't really come close to the Witcher in this respect.
- Textures are great, but the facial animations are horrid. Maybe I've been spoiled by UC2...
- Voice-over is good during party banter, but seems oddly disjointed during conversations. At least it's better than the Witcher. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Created a new character with the goal of making an Arcane Warrior Blood Mage, and got to level 6 before I realized that, you don't need to put points in strength once you get AW spec.

I had already gotten my STR to 14 (level 6) before I realized this, and while 4 points off of the baseline strength is basically nothing by the level I could actually get the Blood Mage spec, the anal statwhore in me wanted to restart the damn game and put the points in the right fucking stat :lol

Brashnir

Question for people who have the Steam Digital Deluxe Edition:

The steam page says it includes the Warden's Keep expansion. How do I go about getting it into my game? I've set up an account with EA, registered my game, and attempted to put in content code Steam shows for the game, but it tells me the code is not valid. I guess I'm putting it in from the wrong place. Suggestions?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Angry Grimace said:
Created a new character with the goal of making an Arcane Warrior Blood Mage, and got to level 6 before I realized that, you don't need to put points in strength once you get AW spec.

I had already gotten my STR to 14 (level 6) before I realized this, and while 4 points off of the baseline strength is basically nothing by the level I could actually get the Blood Mage spec, the anal statwhore in me wanted to restart the damn game and put the points in the right fucking stat :lol

With all the free stats you get and etc. its not a big deal, and it will let you use some gear until you get your point in arcane warrior.

I'd restart though, I restarted right after I got Morrigan twice before finally doing my playthrough and it was worth it because my third character was awesome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lsslave said:
With all the free stats you get and etc. its not a big deal, and it will let you use some gear until you get your point in arcane warrior.

I'd restart though, I restarted right after I got Morrigan twice before finally doing my playthrough and it was worth it because my third character was awesome.
I already got Arcane Warrior before even getting to level 7. Not going to restart now though, it's a trivial amount of points and this isn't World of Warcraft, it's not going to make a difference, really.

I also made this character an innocent looking girl for two reasons; one, I always thought it would look funny to see a cutesy mage-girl in Warden Commander armor (yes, I figured out that the fatigue on Massive Armor makes it untenable to play with, but it's funny to look at), and two, you can't get the achievement for nailing Alistair unless unless you are female.

I gotta say, Alistair is more of a pain in the ass to get in the sack than Tim Tebow. I had to assure him it was "really okay" like 4 times before he'd get to business.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Angry Grimace said:
I already got Arcane Warrior before even getting to level 7. Not going to restart now though, it's a trivial amount of points and this isn't World of Warcraft, it's not going to make a difference, really.

I also made this character an innocent looking girl for two reasons; one, I always thought it would look funny to see a cutesy mage-girl in Warden Commander armor (yes, I figured out that the fatigue on Massive Armor makes it untenable to play with, but it's funny to look at), and two, you can't get the achievement for nailing Alistair unless unless you are female.

I gotta say, Alistair is more of a pain in the ass to get in the sack than Tim Tebow. I had to assure him it was "really okay" like 4 times before he'd get to business.

Lol yeah, when I go for the achievements in other playthroughs I will have to do that. I was thinking of making a "cute" female but that is for the MASSIVE ARMOR!
being that he is a virgin that just shows a few more nuances in their great writing. The game could use a little more which hopefully the sequels have but the little details make it great :)

Arcane Warriors are nice if you are careful, everyone does the Blood Mage double spec but if you want you can do the "Paladin" type and use Spirit Healer you can have a really powerful character and having that revive option will help a lot.

Angry Grimace

Brashnir said:

The steam page says it includes the Warden's Keep expansion. How do I go about getting it into my game? I've set up an account with EA, registered my game, and attempted to put in content code Steam shows for the game, but it tells me the code is not valid. I guess I'm putting it in from the wrong place. Suggestions?
Is it possible it will unlock when you ask the in-game salesman?

alisdair

SRG01 said:
the game favors kiting and magic way too much
I agree with this. While I had a lot of fun using two attacking mages, I can't imagine the game would be enjoyable with a party of warriors/rogues and a healer.

Are there any recent WRPGs with more interestingly balanced combat?

alisdair

Brashnir said:

Maybe you're using the wrong code? From the Steam forums:

only CD keys that appear *with* dashes can be used for bonus content

lsslave

Jew Gamer
alisdair said:
I agree with this. While I had a lot of fun using two attacking mages, I can't imagine the game would be enjoyable with a party of warriors/rogues and a healer.

Everyone I know used warriors or rogues and had no problem. AoE spells are actually a party death sentence in higher difficulties I found (ugh :/)

The point of the game is you are usually overwhelmed by enemies, you have to find a way to survive that. Having 1 warrior build up the threat really helped that situation (I was a mage) similar in how MMOs have their tanking build.

Make sure that character is fully healed and the rest can take them out.

I've seen it successfully done by others so it can't be too hard, although I don't think I will have as much fun without being the destructive force with over 70 percent of overall party damage like my mage had successfully attained :lol

Gaaaaaaah, I can't get Leliana to sleep with me! I've done a side quest for her and her affection is at the max but I don't get any new dialogue options for her. :(

Rad-

alisdair said:

Well there are mods that balance the game. I'm using one called Combat Tweaks, it's awesome. It balances talents/spells a lot. Like no more is Crushing Prison such a god skill, now it lasts only 10 seconds or so (it's still useful but not a game breaker like before). It also buffs rogues nicely, now most of the attack talents work with archery and backstabbing (I have no idea why they didn't before, for shame Bioware :/).

It also adds better descriptions to talents/spells (so they show what they actually do mechanics wise). Though I think this is still WIP as not all talents have proper descriptions yet. But many do.

Just finished this game last night. Did it pretty quickly at about 30 hours. I didn't do too many side quests as I would have burned myself out on the game, but felt it ended really, really nicely (quite rare these days). I'm actually looking forward to a sequel soonish. I do need a break, however, since I can only get so much RPG in me at a time.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
poserdonut said:
Gaaaaaaah, I can't get Leliana to sleep with me! I've done a side quest for her and her affection is at the max but I don't get any new dialogue options for her. :(

She is really hard, she will actually friend zone you unless you have enough cunning to persuade/lie your way out of "I didn't sleep with anyone else"

Did you get
the andraste flower
(can't remember its actual name :( ) and give it to her? That might help.

lsslave said:
She is really hard, she will actually friend zone you unless you have enough cunning to persuade/lie your way out of "I didn't sleep with anyone else"

Did you get
the andraste flower
(can't remember its actual name :( ) and give it to her? That might help.

I haven't slept with anyone else! And I have level 4 in conservationist or whatever it's called.

I'll have to check out the thing mentioned in the spoiler.

[edit]After reading on another forum it seems like I might have ended up in the friend zone which fucks me over :([/edit]

Durante

Did anyone else find Gaxkang the Unbound a much harder fight than any of the Dragons or
Flemeth
? He obliterated me the first time, won after a long fight the second time and I only managed to beat him on the third try after skilling and equipping my party just right.

Ricker

Durante said:
Did anyone else find Gaxkang the Unbound a much harder fight than any of the Dragons or
Flemeth
? He obliterated me the first time, won after a long fight the second time and I only managed to beat him on the third try after skilling and equipping my party just right.

Yeah,wasn`t even getting close to beating him,on normal,with my level 20 guys...this is my only gripe with this game,that I finished last night,80 hours,93% of the area`s visited,some fights are just ridiculously unbalanced and cheap,so I beat him on easy.Great game otherwise though,I hope the expansion rumour is true.

Durante

I didn't find it cheap or unbalanced at all though, just hard. It's like they took one fight out of Baldur's Gate 2 and put it into DA:O :lol
It probably would have been even harder if I didn't have a character with Curse of Mortality though.

roxya

Durante said:
Flemeth

At about level 18 on normal I found it fairly easy. Beat him 3 times until he dropped the shield. The only things that really destroyed me were the mad hermit and the high dragon, though I didn't bother revisiting them after gaining more levels and gear.

Brashnir

rhfb said:
Go to Biowares site from ingame and you should be able to do it from there.

That's what I did initially and it told me the codes were invalid. I just tried it again and it worked this time. Thanks for the help.

What is everyones favorite race and class so far?

I am about to start up a game and don't want to have to restart because I was stupid and didn't ask neogaf what was the best to play with.

Dennis

Banned
Ricker said:
Yeah,wasn`t even getting close to beating him,on normal,with my level 20 guys...this is my only gripe with this game,that I finished last night,80 hours,93% of the area`s visited,some fights are just ridiculously unbalanced and cheap,so I beat him on easy.Great game otherwise though,I hope the expansion rumour is true.
Sorry, that counts as cheating. You are a pussy and have not completed Dragon Age as a true man would.

kai3345

Banned
MidnightRider said:

I am about to start up a game and don't want to have to restart because I was stupid and didn't ask neogaf what was the best to play with.
I initially rolled a City Elf Warrior, which was a lot of fun.

After that I've done both the Mage and Dwarf Noble Origins and neither of those seemed nearly as fun as City Elf.

The only downside to being a Warrior is that early in the game you'll have a BUNCH of warriors in your party. Until about 8 or 9 hours in Morrigan was my only non warrior party member.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I made a human warrior, it seems to be the most straight forward way to play. My character was often the last one standing during tough battles and did the most damage, but it wasn't a very fun or involved way to play. I've started a 2nd playthrough as an Elf Mage, I'm still early on but mage seems like a lot of fun, there's a lot more variety in moves and you can do cool stuff like freezing enemies. I haven't played as Rogue yet.

Anyways, you should just play as whatever sounds most fun to you. You will have plenty of party members with different classes that you can control, so you'll be able to have one of each class if you want.

MidnightRider said:

I was thinking about going Blood Mage

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blood Mage is cool, but you might want to look it up in a guide so you don't miss out on unlocking the specialization. I haven't done it yet but I've heard that it's possible to accidentally miss the chance to do it.

Snuggler said:
Blood Mage is cool, but you might want to look it up in a guide so you don't miss out on unlocking the specialization. I haven't done it yet but I've heard that it's possible to accidentally miss the chance to do it.

pretty sure you are on my xbox and PSN friends list but I never play with you :(

OBSJiesen on xboxlive
MyName1sMud on PSN

thanks for the post. i need to find a guide to do it. only thing that sucks about it is you have to kill yourself or an allie to use magic

this game seems like a lot of work so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I'm on both of your friends lists, I remember you. I haven't been playing much multi lately but I'll be getting back to Left 4 Dead 2, LBP and Killzone 2 soon, if you play either we'll have to meet up.

Anyways, the game is a little overwhelming at first, at least for those of us who've just played WRPGs on consoles. Bioware didn't do a great job of explaining stuff in-game but you'll get the hang of it in a few hours.

Snuggler said:
Yeah I'm on both of your friends lists, I remember you. I haven't been playing much multi lately but I'll be getting back to Left 4 Dead 2, LBP and Killzone 2 soon, if you play either we'll have to meet up.

Anyways, the game is a little overwhelming at first, at least for those of us who've just played WRPGs on consoles. Bioware didn't do a great job of explaining stuff in-game but you'll get the hang of it in a few hours.

L4D2 --- I still need to finish those achievements. Hell I haven't even done the 10,000 zombie kills for the shirt.

LBP --- bought it and never really got into it.... I guess because I was also playing alone. I hear its more fun with people.

Wallach

MidnightRider said:

Well, Dwarf is the superior race in the world of Thedas. It's up to you if you want to want to try and save the world as some scummy twig Elf or a bearded, mighty example of genetic perfection. It's worth noting that basically everything good that happens in this game happens because of a Dwarf (and usually in spite of an Elf being present).

Class-wise, well, Warrior and Rogue are both pretty awesome. There's no class that fights with their bare hands to make this game challenging for a Dwarf, so these are the next best thing. If you're thinking about making a Mage, understand that they are so lame that Dwarves refuse to even become Mages. You'll have to play one of the feeble races if you really must walk that path, but know that as a Mage you literally have a 1-in-10 chance of having your attacks fail completely against any Dwarf. Not because Dwarves have some kind of innate resistance to magic (Dwarves tell this story to the surface races to prevent inciting a panic), but because casting magic in the vicinity of a Dwarf has a 1-in-10 chance to make him or her laugh, rendering them invulnerable. This little known fact is the primary reason Court Jesters are not a part of Dwarven culture, among other things.

In the end, it's up to you. There's a right and a wrong here, though, so don't fuck it up by rolling some magic-tossing, surface-born hippy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Whats with the Dwarf love? People actually like Dwarfs? Ugh, they're disgusting, mindless beasts...can't wait for them to go extinct. Humans are the superior race, but Elves are pretty cool too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You can do it before starting missions, after leaving camp or manually in non-hostile zones (like cities) by selecting it in the radial menu.

Gowans

Snuggler said:
You can do it before starting missions, after leaving camp or manually in non-hostile zones (like cities) by selecting it in the radial menu.
Thanks I'll have a look for it in the radial menu when. I get done with this mission.

IoCaster

Shit, I thought I was doing a pretty good job until I got to
Mountain Top and rang that fucking gong. That Dragon that comes down and rains fire on your ass just went Straight-Up Dawg on my party and left a big steaming pile of crispy bits where I used to be. It took me 8 tries before I finally beat that fucker. Oh well, at least i got my dragon scale. :/

I'm rolling with a hybrid AW/SH human mage and it's pretty much awesome. I can pull off the main healer role if I don't want to bring Wynne along to witness my sometimes douchebaggery. Most of the time I squad up with Leliana, Wynne and Alistair for my A-Team and just bring Morrigan, Shale and Dog when I'm feeling peckish. I didn't bother to
save Sten and I slit Zevs throat on general principle. Nobody attacks me without paying the consequences.
So obviously my choices are somewhat limited on this playthrough. Next time I think I'll play a Dwarf Beserker and mix it up a bit. After that I'll probably hold off and wait for the X-Pack to try a different build. Hell, ME2 should be out by then and I know that I'll be sidetracked bigtime for that.

Anyway it's a great game and I'm having a blast with it. Bioware has really been bringing it lately and I'm happy.

:D <---me being happy

hmmm I created an Elf Warrior, hoping I could use my natural mage inclination (+2 willpower, magic) to become a warrior-mage.

NOPE! Guess I played too much demon's souls :lol

I'm really pissed about all these locked chests and shit I can't unlock. How long until I can have a rogue in my party? I'm about 3 hours in
just got the warden's cache or whatever

If the elf-warrior is THAT bad a choice, I suppose I should start over now before I get any further in...

Dennis

Banned
So, I don't usually follow the whole Sales-Age thing much, but I am very interested in the sales of Dragon Age.
It has been a long wait since Baldurs Gate 2 to have another of these epic tactical press-spacebar-every-few-seconds-during-combat RPGs, so I am hoping that if Dragon Age becomes a huge success we well get not only more from Bioware but also other developers.

Do we have any sales info? If not when will we know how well DA:O did?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DigitalDevil said:
hmmm I created an Elf Warrior, hoping I could use my natural mage inclination (+2 willpower, magic) to become a warrior-mage.

NOPE! Guess I played too much demon's souls :lol

I'm really pissed about all these locked chests and shit I can't unlock. How long until I can have a rogue in my party? I'm about 3 hours in [/spoiler] just got the warden's cache or whatever [/spoiler]

If the elf-warrior is THAT bad a choice, I suppose I should start over now before I get any further in...

You missed a rogue already. Probably another character or two. This isn't Demon's Souls. You're going to have to focus on the dialog and story to get the most out of this one...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
DennisK4 said:
So, I don't usually follow the whole Sales-Age thing much, but I am very interested in the sales of Dragon Age.
It has been a long wait since Baldurs Gate 2 to have another of these epic tactical press-spacebar-every-few-seconds-during-combat RPGs, so I am hoping that if Dragon Age becomes a huge success we well get not only more from Bioware but also other developers.

Remember all the games like Morrowind/Oblivion that are still coming out? I'm hoping for a few of those.

Then again, nobody has bothered to make a Deux Ex clone, so who the hell knows. Oh, except Troika. And they're dead, man.

Dennis

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Remember all the games like Morrowind/Oblivion that are still coming out? I'm hoping for a few of those.

Then again, nobody has bothered to make a Deux Ex clone, so who the hell knows. Oh, except Troika. And they're dead, man.
But see, I have never really understood that. Why haven't we gotten more RPG/shooter hybrid cyberpunk/sci-fi games with strong storytelling? Seems like a no brainer.

And Troika....man, fate can be cruel. Arcanum, Vampire and The Temple of Elemental Evil...*sob*

No idea why, but Dragon Age Origins is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It really sucked me into its world and characters and I'd rank it up there with (or just below) Deus Ex, Torment, and Fallout 1.

Really refreshing, and the best use of a semi-standard fantasy setting yet for videogames

Dennis

Banned
ConcealedBlaze said:
No idea why, but Dragon Age Origins is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. It really sucked me into its world and characters and I'd rank it up there with (or just below) Deus Ex, Torment, and Fallout 1.

Really refreshing, and the best use of a semi-standard fantasy setting yet for videogames
Yes it is great, but one of my (few) criticisms of the game is the rather generic fantasy setting. We were promised "Dark Fantasy" but lets be honest here - this is standard High Fantasy with some added blood splatter and ultra soft core sex.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
Yes it is great, but one of my (few) criticisms of the game is the rather generic fantasy setting. We were promised "Dark Fantasy" but lets be honest here - this is standard High Fantasy with some added blood splatter and ultra soft core sex.

Yeah. To be honest this game is less "dark" than BG2 was. I'm OK with that personally, but "Dark Fantasy" is not a fitting moniker for this game's setting.

DennisK4 said:

Oh god yes, it's generic. For some reason I honestly can't put my finger on, though, it doesn't bother me at all. I HATE generic fantasy settings, to the point that the only books I really enjoy in the genre are George R.R. Martin and Tolkein, and the only movies I enjoy in the genre are... well... Tolkein haha. I don't know what it is about Dragon Age, but it simply overcomes it's generic setting through some interesting little twists, and a very fully realized world.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:

I think first-month sales for 360 + PS3 were around 500k. By now, including PC (and untracked DD sales) I'm sure they're well over 1m.

As far as getting more from BioWare, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about that. In terms of revenue they are making quite a lot of money off DA:O, because they have had good success with the DLC. They will probably continue with that model with ME2 and the inevitable sequel to DA:O.

Top Bottom