• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm pretty sure that all of the Origins stories actually happened, and the one you choose is just the where Duncan is.

So other than Alistair and Warden you chose to be,
everybody else got captured or killed at Ostagar?

Hasphat6462 said:
So other than Alistair and Warden you chose to be,
everybody else got captured or killed at Ostagar?
The other Origin characters would die before going to Ostagar, because Duncan wouldn't be there to save them and take them there.

Rufus

Hasphat6462 said:
That's really neat. Do you get cross-overs like this for the other origins if you didn't choose them?
I'm guessing the brothers Harrowmont insinuated that Bhelen murdered included you. You could free Soris in the Arl's dungeons, but I don't know if your character is mentioned there or not.
I wonder what else is there.
No, the Dwarf Noble you would play is mentioned as
being exiled, but since you didn't play him he died in those caves, whatever they were called.
The Mage probably dies in the tower or doesn't even survive the Harrowing, City Elf gets killed (I think), so does the Human Noble. The only one I have no idea about is the Dalish Elf. I guess since they're from another, smaller tribe than Zathrian's people you never even meet them or hear from them. I could be wrong though. (Another reason why the Dalish Elf origin sucks...)

kitzkozan

I just saw on IGN that Return to Ostagar is now scheduled for: Spring 2010. :lol

Basically,this 1 hour DLC is being delayed from holiday 2009 to spring 2010,after the release of the expansion(if it's not delayed as well). :p

I feel a sick pleasure in all these delays because I'm unable to continue playing DA:O until late April/early May.

I'm going through DA withdrawal. I haven't played DA in over a month now after playing only DA for the entire month of December (clocked over 150 hours)...oh how I miss it so...:'(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kitzkozan said:
That's the biggest fault of Dragon age so far.The universe is derivative to the point of affecting the overall quality of the game.

The game doesn't have huge glaring flaws like the first Mass effect or Jade empire,but man is it derivative,uninspired and generic. :lol

I'm still incredibly optimist for the sequel,since Bioware potential to improve is extraordinary.For all you know,the sequel to Dragon age might be the best rpg ever.Bioware just need to give more character and colors to their world.If possible,they should tone down the dwarves and elves factor or any plot/scene which might remind of Tolkien/LOTR.Easiest way to accomplish this is choosing another part of the world that's completely different from Ferelden.

they had free rein to run wild with their own fantasy setting, and its a boring LotR/FR world, but without the cool stuff from those worlds, like the crazy cosmology of FR (well not anymore...). Where did the nature elf cliche come from anyway? Was it DnD cause the LotR elves were not like that? Even the ones that lived in the fucking forest.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my party is getting ripped to shreds. I'm at the point in the Human Noble origin story where
I'm supposed to retake the tower so I can light the beacons of Gondor.
I'm not sure in what way I'm supposed to arrange my party AI. It seems like if I go with anything but aggressive, my party tends to just stand around. If I go with aggressive, they'll often just rush off without me or any other support. Inevitably my party gets picked off one by one.

Also, is there any way to tell for sure who is and isn't just a filler character who's going to die off anyway so that I don't waste gear on them?

Ouch, I just had
Wynne
leave me after supporting the lizard-loving nutjobs from
Haven
. I had deliberately benched that character this playthrough, knowing decisions this playthrough would not go over well with them, but still...

Otherwise, nearing the big end-game shift point. As a Rogue archer primarily w/some backup assassin abilities, Alistair tanking, and Morrigan healing between Shock/Tempest we've really been dominating on Normal difficulty. Usually take my Mabari or Oghren as extra power. It was only accidentally that I found out what those landmarks were all about when using the former as the controlled character.

After this playthrough, will set aside for some Mass Effect action.

bill0527

DarthWoo said:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my party is getting ripped to shreds. I'm at the point in the Human Noble origin story where
I'm not sure in what way I'm supposed to arrange my party AI. It seems like if I go with anything but aggressive, my party tends to just stand around. If I go with aggressive, they'll often just rush off without me or any other support. Inevitably my party gets picked off one by one.

Also, is there any way to tell for sure who is and isn't just a filler character who's going to die off anyway so that I don't waste gear on them?

I had the same problem and posted my frustration a few days ago. I was ready to break the disc in half, but then I figured it out.

Don't worry about gearing out anyone just yet.

The biggest problem you have is your tactics. You must learn the tactics system to play this game. If you can't be bothered to learn how to use tactics, then go ahead and trade the game in or ebay it. Furthermore, you must also take some time to learn each member of your party's talents and skills so you can formulate how to set up tactics for each one.

All of my characters are set on default, and not aggressive. For each member of your party, you need to go to their tactics screen and set their first action to attack the target of the main character (you). You can then pick which kind of attack they should use. If they've got any stun abilities, or crowd control, pick that one first. Then set the rest of their tactics order with whichever abilities you want. If you set it up so that their first action is to attack the same thing you are attacking, they will all bum rush your target and it should be pretty easy at that point.

At different points throughout the game you'll need to adjust each person's tactics as they gain new abilities and as you gain new party members. Once you learn this, the game becomes pretty easy and once I figured it out, I haven't even come close to dying.

HK-47 said:
they had free rein to run wild with their own fantasy setting, and its a boring LotR/FR world, but without the cool stuff from those worlds, like the crazy cosmology of FR (well not anymore...). Where did the nature elf cliche come from anyway? Was it DnD cause the LotR elves were not like that? Even the ones that lived in the fucking forest.

I don't mind the more or less generic setting. Although it is kind of disappointing that with all the freedom they had, they couldn't be a bit more different. Regardless I think even with the generic route they went the world is very well defined with character and depth. I think of it as a homage/refinement of the setting.

Ultimately, every fantasy game world i ever experienced I compare to PS:T, so they all kind of feel generic compared to the planes.

Speevy

Banned
I was just fiddling around, learning things, gaining levels taking quests and then I went somewhere and now I think I've accidentally stumbled back into an important part of the main quest.

I certainly hope not. :(

DarthWoo said:

Use Mana Clash on mages. Totally OP. I killed 5 mages instantly and simultaneously with one cast.

I had problems on my first time through the game. It can be difficult to get the AI to do exactly what I want, but you'll get through if you tinker.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so I'm like halfway through the game and it has so consistently been ROYALLY PISSING ME OFF. It just drags you off in any direction it pleases, with about 5 times more talking than MGS4 it seems, and it's almost impossible to get a pleasing result to any situation. I think I'm about ready to just say fuck all I'm gonna kill all the whiny bitches I come across and save the world myself.

So has anyone who played this game had their character become eyeless at some point of the game.

image-3C6D_4B61868F.jpg

Speevy said:
I was just fiddling around, learning things, gaining levels taking quests and then I went somewhere and now I think I've accidentally stumbled back into an important part of the main quest.

I certainly hope not. :(

Some of the main quest areas let you come and go as you please, while others force you to progress through some or all of the questline before you're allowed to leave. If you're at either
Redcliffe when it gets attacked or have entered the Mage Tower, I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed to leave until completion.

Dice said:
Okay so I'm like halfway through the game and it has so consistently been ROYALLY PISSING ME OFF. It just drags you off in any direction it pleases, with about 5 times more talking than MGS4 it seems, and it's almost impossible to get a pleasing result to any situation. I think I'm about ready to just say fuck all I'm gonna kill all the whiny bitches I come across and save the world myself.

Ever play a Bioware game before?

kaskade

After hearing about this game on podcasts and the praise they give it I have a question that's probably been answered in this thread but whatever. :D How is the 360 version? Mass Effect reignited my RPG love and once I finish the second one I would like to start up a new RPG. I figured I would rather go with more of a fantasy game than another shooting type like Fallout 3.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Lesath said:
Did it bother anybody else that they made the effort to give Fereldens, Orelsians, and even Antivians various European accents, but left the elves and dwarves with American ones?
The elves and dwarves in the game were in Ferelden, so it makes sense they'd have Ferelden accents. Zevran was an Antivan elf and had an Antivan accent, and presumably the non-humans would have the accents of their respective areas.

DangerousMali said:
I'm about to open and play dragon age (PS3), which i got for Christmas

is it anything like Oblivion ?

Except for it's vaguely European setting, not at all. completely different ends of the rpg spectrum in basically every way

DangerousMali said:

Very, very different. Cliff notes version:
Oblivion - first person view, real time combat, control solely the main PC, very exploration / open world focused.
DA:O - third person view (on PS3, isometric view as well on PC), party and class based combat system, very story / character focused.

Much more similar to KOTOR or Baldur's Gate if you've ever played those games.

DangerousMali said:

Basically, if you like good character development and good storytelling, play this game. If you want to run around and explore, avoid it because there is very little freedom in this game when it comes to freely doing stuff without having plot-changing and sometimes, devastating consequences. As said above, it is party-focused. You can even
kill your party members, have them attack you and kill you, make them angry and leave the group, etc.
, whereas Oblivion is a sort of "me against the world" sort of deal.

Story is great so far, started out as a human noble.
The human noble story was way to short tbh, i was expecting to do some meddling before going off into the epic batle, but heh, now when i finish this, i can start with the next origins.

PS morrigan panties shall be in my mouth by nightfall :lol

what's the most entertaining origin amongst GAF anyway ?

DangerousMali said:
Story is great so far, started out as a human noble.
The human noble story was way to short tbh, i was expecting to do some meddling before going off into the epic batle, but heh, now when i finish this, i can start with the next origins.

PS morrigan panties shall be in my mouth by nightfall :lol

what's the most entertaining origin amongst GAF anyway ?

Dwarf Noble.

heringer

So, how long is this game? I read that just to beat, with the bare minimum, could take 60+ hours. Any truth to that?

I'm asking because I really don't want a game THAT long. What's the average play time around here?

Also, I would be playing the PS3 version, it's still good right?

Toki767

heringer said:
So, how long is this game? I read that just to beat, with the bare minimum, could take 60+ hours. Any truth to that?

I'm asking because I really don't want a game THAT long. What's the average play time around here?

40ish hours for the bare minimum sounds more accurate. Even with doing most of the sidequests, I don't know that it would push 50 hours let alone 60.

The PS3 version has some framerate drops I think, although I never really noticed it too much when I played it. If you have the option, definitely go for the PC version. Otherwise, the console versions are still worth a playthrough if you can't run it on PC.

Chris R

I've only done Dwarf Noble and City Elf so far, and Dwarf Noble was pretty damn good. Then again, I had already been to the Dwarf city and
sided with Harrowmont on my first playthrough, never liked the vibe I got off Bhelen, who turns out to be your brother :lol

Going to do the other 4 tonight though.

heringer said:

I took just over 32 hours to do a single complete playthrough, and I did basically EVERYTHING you could do in a playthrough, including the DLC. Speeding through doing as little as needed, and speed reading would probably put you in around 20 hours tops.

Im not a veteran of this genre but one thing that pisses me off is how you can't change your mind on quests.

I was in Lothering and ran into a prisoner. I talked to him, than said I would speak to the old Mother to see if he could be released into my custody. She tells me the horrible shit he's done so I didn't want to go through with it anymore. I go back to him and there isn't any option to tell him that. My quest still says "find a way to help him escape"...NOOOOOO.

heringer

rhfb said:
I've only done Dwarf Noble and City Elf so far, and Dwarf Noble was pretty damn good. Then again, I had already been to the Dwarf city and
sided with Harrowmont on my first playthrough, never liked the vibe I got off Bhelen, who turns out to be your brother :lol

Going to do the other 4 tonight though.

I took just over 32 hours to do a single complete playthrough, and I did basically EVERYTHING you could do in a playthrough, including the DLC. Speeding through doing as little as needed, and speed reading would probably put you in around 20 hours tops.
Wow, really? That's not nearly as big as some reviews make it out to be. Weird.

Well, now I'm more inclined to buy the game. :D

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I seem to be getting better at controlling my party, although
the mini-dragon in the werewolf ruins was bloody tough, probably had to try that about 15 times.
Now I'm running into inventory problems, due to the low inventory cap. I've got one backpack for a total of 80 slots, but the backpacks are bloody expensive, and I found out that I missed some cheap ones back in Ostagar. I know there's a party chest in the Warden's Keep DLC, but I'd like to avoid having to buy that for a while if I can. I've been just trying to sell off armor/weapons that I didn't need and keeping crafting stuff around, but now I have too much of even that.
That baby dragon had quite a hoard.

My question is, if I leave the ruins and come back so I can sell off some stuff in the Dalish village, will corpses of enemies I kill still be there? I think maybe I want to just run through the whole dungeon and then make a second runthrough to pick up anything I had to leave behind.

Rufus

Lion Heart said:
I was in Lothering and ran into a prisoner. I talked to him, than said I would speak to the old Mother to see if he could be released into my custody. She tells me the horrible shit he's done so I didn't want to go through with it anymore. I go back to him and there isn't any option to tell him that. My quest still says "find a way to help him escape"...NOOOOOO.
Get her to give you the key (bring Leliana) and just tell him then that you won't free him. (You can be a dick about it, too.)

Edgeward

DarthWoo said:
My question is, if I leave the ruins and come back so I can sell off some stuff in the Dalish village, will corpses of enemies I kill still be there? I think maybe I want to just run through the whole dungeon and then make a second runthrough to pick up anything I had to leave behind.

In my experience, yes. Bodies with loot will stay until looted and you will see them if you return because of the glitch (console versions) that sometimes makes loot-able bodies not sparkle until a couple seconds or minutes later.

I didn't have enough space to hold the Warden's Keep grand prize cache, assumed you could go back in after the quest (why not?) only to find out it's not an option.

:(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Alpha-Bromega said:
Ever play a Bioware game before?
Yes, and that is part of the problem. Mass Effect is way better desgned and has been out for some time now. You'd think that they would take some notes from themselves.

Speevy

Banned
I don't love this game nearly as much as KOTOR, but I will give it that the dungeons are pretty meaty, I never feel cheated when I start a quest.

I've been totally disappointed with the item management (hello I want some items, stop making me move things to junk and destroy them!), and leveling systems (doesn't seem like anything I do helps me, I just started auto-leveling everyone, maybe Bioware knows the best way not to get the huge tank guy killed every fight)

Overall, the conversations as usual keep sucking me in and the combat is pretty much exactly like KOTOR, which is great.

Graphics look like a high-res Xbox 1 game.

So if I could make some major changes, I would create some more useful leveling mechanics, ones that are immediately apparent to the player. I shouldn't have to go poking around reading volumes just to find out why I can't transform into a spider yet or whatever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the fixed title update went up on XBL a little while ago. Supposedly Return to Ostagar is hitting within the next few days. A couple places said "within one or two days of the title update" while others said "next week."

Doytch

Dice said:
Yes, and that is part of the problem. Mass Effect is way better desgned and has been out for some time now. You'd think that they would take some notes from themselves.
I don't really see why you'd say this. It opens up the same way as DA (go get Liara, or to the Citadel, or to the two others worlds) and then converges again. Basically like all recent Bioware games. And I'd say the dialogue system is lazier in ME with the whole down-right be a jackass, up-right be a saint system that just gives you light/darkside points. The influence system is a huge step up from Bioware's previous (well, still current, based on ME2) infatuation with binary choices.

witness

Amazing game. Finished it last night and it was so hard to make those decisions near the end of the game;
I went with Anora as queen with me being the King/Prince Consort and stayed in Denerim, Loghain is a Warden (pisses me off that I didn't kill him though, will prolly go back and change it but its just nuts to see what you can pull off this game), had the weird baby with Morrigan and Alistair was sent packing. I felt guilty about it but he was a whiny bitch a lot of the time as well.
Really really curious to see how the expansion pack will open then when I transfer my character over.

Disappointed that you can't go back and do other quests after you finish the story, sucks that you're locked down to only doing DLC. Bioware truly out did themselves, absolutely love the title and will keep playing it with more characters.

heringer said:
Just bought the game. Any tips before I start?
PS3 version by the way.

Played on the PC, not the PS3 version but some quick tips off the top of my head:

• Mages are so good to the point of being overpowered, make sure to bring at least one along. Spells like cone of cold, crushing prison and heal are all very useful.
  • If you have a rogue with backstab in your squad, make sure to position them behind an enemy for extra damage (black area of the circle highlighting the enemy)
  • Putting skill points into coercion is a good way to keep some of your companions happy and avoid some fights, get extra rewards after quests, etc.
  • In big encounters where enemies are off screen, don't go charging in. Aggro smaller groups and take them out piecemeal (a little cheap but it works).
  • Keep enemies focused on your tank character by equipping them with heavy armor and using skills that get their attention like taunt.

Rufus

Sir Garbageman said:
Played on the PC, not the PS3 version but some quick tips off the top of my head:

• Mages are so good to the point of being overpowered, make sure to bring at least one along. Spells like cone of cold, crushing prison and heal are all very useful.
  • If you have a rogue with backstab in your squad, make sure to position them behind an enemy for extra damage (black area of the circle highlighting the enemy)
  • Putting skill points into coercion is a good way to keep some of your companions happy and avoid some fights, get extra rewards after quests, etc.
  • In big encounters where enemies are off screen, don't go charging in. Aggro smaller groups and take them out piecemeal (a little cheap but it works).
  • Keep enemies focused on your tank character by equipping them with heavy armor and using skills that get their attention like taunt.
  • Make taking out enemy mages a priority.
  • Craft potions if you find yourself running out all the time. (Merchants who have a 99 pieces of anything in stock have an infinite supply, keep that in mind if you need materials. Morrigan comes with one point in Herbalism, so she will do that if you don't have anybody else.)
  • Configure all party members to chuck potions if their health falls below a certain percentage.
  • Save often. (Is there a Quick Save on the console versions? If so, use that. Love it.)

Edgeward

Also, using a two handed sword is inferior compared to dual wielding, shield/sword or bows. Plus you can get two guys who use two handers.

Rogues - focus on cunning; lethality can use cunning to substitute for attack power.

Mages - focus on magic; the arcane warrior spec from Brecilain ruins can convert MAG into STR even allowing your mage to wear heavy equipment.

Rogue archer w/ cunning builds plus Arrow of Slaying? MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Learn to trek back at times like when tackling a long ass dungeon to sell off the useless junk you encounter, it will be a main source of income.

If you have trouble with Dragons, bring Shale. Made exactly for those fuckers.

Top Bottom