• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wtf there's nothing on my dlc screen to purchase and the link just seems to explain how to get the dlc in-game which i can't do.... :/ steam version fwiw

for reference:

315o8dj.jpg

4tt6rr.jpg

Rufus

AstroLad said:
wtf there's nothing on my dlc screen to purchase and the link just seems to explain how to get the dlc in-game which i can't do.... :/ steam version fwiw

for reference:

http://i50.tinypic.com/315o8dj.jpg[img]

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/4tt6rr.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Try this:
[url]http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/1449580[/url]

Or section 3.2 here:
[url]http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/81613[/url]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sir Garbageman said:
This was originally posted in the Dragon Age Origins: Awakenings Trailers thread but I figured I'll post here anyway. It's a comic of a cut scene that was cut from the final game. End game spoilers so avoid it if you haven't finished the game.
Specifically it relates to Morrigan's "offer"

Pretty cool imo.

http://blog.bioware.com/

Awesome. I totally forgot about aimo since the KoTOR days. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Gaider and aimo would hook up and do something... but it's pretty awesome anyway.

It's interesting because Gaider is sort of "famous" for adding more depth to the female PCs and this small scene is fairly female PC focused. Yeah, it could be adapted for a male PC maybe, but I don't know if it'd work as well... which is probably why it was considered a non-essential scene that could be cut.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I thought before I got into the meat of the game I'd try to get as much of the DLC (legitimately) as possible. Quickly gave up on that one.

I feel so, so sorry for anybody who wanted all the DLC. I thought Mass Effect 2 was bad, but holy fuck did BioWare rape consumers with this one.

switch-it

Banned
So the PS3 version i supperior to the 360 version? I'm going to by it in a minute and want to be sure what console to by it for. I don't have a worthy PC so don't bother.

I think the consensus was better frame-rate on 360, but looked better on PS3...

For the record, I have it on 360, no frame-rate problems, loved every second.

koji

Might as well post it here, not everyone reads the steam thread.

Dragon Age: Origins 1.03
Patch details:

You do not need to download patches prior to Patch 1.03. Downloading Patch 1.03 contains all previous patches. Downloading Patch 1.03 will provide you with all patch data available.

* Various changes have been made to code and resources to support the Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening expansion pack. Most of these changes do not affect Origins itself.
* Some players were experiencing increasingly long load times. A major cause of this problem has been fixed.
* At higher levels, non-player characters now receive a bonus to armor penetration. This mitigates an unintentional imbalance with well-armored high-level characters, since armor penetration previously did not scale as aggressively as armor itself did.
* Elite-rank enemies (lieutenants) can no longer be shattered. This preserves the intended tactical design of many combat encounters.
* Portraits for summoned creatures (like a ranger's wolf) were displaying improperly while in the party camp. This no longer occurs.

LINK

Nice, but STILL no archery fix... I hope they fixed that Denerim leak.

Truant

Are there any good Knock/Open Lock type spell mods for this game? I hate the rogue NPC's in this game, and I'm playing as a warrior now.

Edgeward

RTO for the ps3 is out this thursday.

On that note, I've heard the new patch makes RTO disappear from the map. Can anyone confirm that rumor?

I'm also hurrying along to beat it with my arcane blood mage to get ready for awakenings. Can't wait. =)

Ledsen

Hey there Dragon Age-GAF! I want to buy this game, but I need to know how it'll run on my machine. I just bought a new laptop with a HD5650, it's good for a laptop but laughable by desktop standards (I get about 6500-7000 in 3dmark06). What I want to know is what game you would compare this to in terms of hardware demands. Does it better or worse (fps wise) than a somewhat poorly coded game like say, The Witcher? Or is it more optimized, a la Left 4 Dead 2?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So about the sequel.
Word is that Morrigan and the child will be part of the story. There are so many theories as to what Morrigan's true intentions are. It's obvious she knows more than she's letting on. I can't wait. Juicy gossip!

mAcOdIn

Ledsen said:
Hey there Dragon Age-GAF! I want to buy this game, but I need to know how it'll run on my machine. I just bought a new laptop with a HD5650, it's good for a laptop but laughable by desktop standards (I get about 6500-7000 in 3dmark06). What I want to know is what game you would compare this to in terms of hardware demands. Does it better or worse (fps wise) than a somewhat poorly coded game like say, The Witcher? Or is it more optimized, a la Left 4 Dead 2?
I have a 4870 which I believe outclasses the 5650, my experience with the game is an odd one. When the game runs good, it runs great, but on some systems there's a memory leak or something and the game gets slower and slower until I'm finishing whole cigarettes and using the bathroom in between load screens and large battles turn into slide shows.

I don't know if they fixed it, patch 1.03 that was released recently was meant to address this but to be honest real life demanded I stop playing and after a month I haven't really felt like finishing up. That said, it did seem to be only certain systems, mostly AMD multicore systems at that(the processor not the video card) that were primarily affected.

I ended up getting it to run well for a long time by using AMD Fusion for Desktop, with HD Acceleration and AMD Boost enabled, disabling the phenom bug in Vista and setting the processor affinity to just two cores instead of all 4, doing those tweaks the game ran well for me for a few hours at a time.

But that issue aside, before the leak would show itself the game would run fantastic, fantastic. I never counted the FPS but everything was smooth at all settings maxed, load times were fast, menus were fast, when it works for me it works great. So I'd say the actual game is optimized pretty damn well, just that one bug on select system that leads to shitty performance.

Macstorm

So just opened Awakening and there's an insert with a red dragon and the date 02.01.2011 (a Tuesday). Sequel release date confirmed?

golem

Macstorm said:
So just opened Awakening and there's an insert with a red dragon and the date 02.01.2011 (a Tuesday). Sequel release date confirmed?
It was mentioned in one of EA's sales reports or something.. dont know if its a direct sequel though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hrm, so Awakenings isn't showing up in GameFly's listing =/.

Trickster

I bought the digital deluxe edition of this game on steam yesterday after a lot of nudging by a friend. So far it seems a lot better than the impressions I had of it beforehand, which is a nice surprise.

However i'm wondering if I'm the only one that feel the difficulty in this game is quite high? I made a warrior that I'm speccing to be a tank type character, but so far ( lvl 6 ) she is getting destroyed by pretty much everything even though I'm only playing on normal :/

Also, wondering if anyone could tell me how I'm supposed to get access to the bonus items and the stone prisoner dlc pack I aparently should have gotten for a free when I bought it, so far I can't seem to figure out where I'm supposed to get the items, and the only way I can see of getting access to the dlc pack is by buying it for 1200 bioware points

steadfast

Macstorm said:

Or another expansion. Giving a firm release date this far out for a full-blown sequel would seem borderline irresponsible.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Trickster said:
I bought the digital deluxe edition of this game on steam yesterday after a lot of nudging by a friend. So far it seems a lot better than the impressions I had of it beforehand, which is a nice surprise.

However i'm wondering if I'm the only one that feel the difficulty in this game is quite high? I made a warrior that I'm speccing to be a tank type character, but so far ( lvl 6 ) she is getting destroyed by pretty much everything even though I'm only playing on normal :/

Also, wondering if anyone could tell me how I'm supposed to get access to the bonus items and the stone prisoner dlc pack I aparently should have gotten for a free when I bought it, so far I can't seem to figure out where I'm supposed to get the items, and the only way I can see of getting access to the dlc pack is by buying it for 1200 bioware points

warriors are useless. mages are the money melons!

You should just be able to download/install it in the in-game menu.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Trickster said:
It's weird because warriors get chewed up pretty easily unless you follow a very particular build to make them tanks... Sink all of your points into sword + shield passive skills after you've picked up Threaten. 2H swords and dual wielding simply don't have the skills to allow your warrior to take damage.

I also have the DD Edition from Steam, had to use the included updater to get my DLC to work properly:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024249

WaltJay

Awakenings requires DA:Origins right? So what does the Awakenings retail disc do? Just install the content similar to Shivering Isles, and then you start up the game with DA:O?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
EatChildren said:
So I thought before I got into the meat of the game I'd try to get as much of the DLC (legitimately) as possible. Quickly gave up on that one.

I feel so, so sorry for anybody who wanted all the DLC. I thought Mass Effect 2 was bad, but holy fuck did BioWare rape consumers with this one.

Wardens keep was great DLC. especially when bought with the EA deal to get 800 MS points back.

The gear from it was really good, Also special skills and alot more.

Only one i heard was bad was ostagar but its extremely cheap as far as DLC goes

WaltJay said:
Awakenings requires DA:Origins right? So what does the Awakenings retail disc do? Just install the content similar to Shivering Isles, and then you start up the game with DA:O?

I really hope its not a install. Hopefully it can just pull saves from DA:O

cubanb

Banned
Tomorrow I am going to buy either Dragon age or final fantasy XIII.

Which one should I go for? Dragon is age only $5 cheaper used.

I need a good story or I lose interest. I mostly play sports games nowadays. I haven't really finished a game all the way since Knights of the Old Republic. I LOVED THAT GAME. I used to play some of the final fantasy games on the snes and liked them, but I can't remember if I enjoyed the story. I recently tried fallout 3 and the world felt a little too open to where I couldn't decide what to do next. I prefer combat systems that don't involve too much manual targeting like in fallout 3. Which is why I used to enjoy final fantasy's turn based and KOTORS round based combat.

cubanb said:
Tomorrow I am going to buy either Dragon age or final fantasy XIII.

Which one should I go for? Dragon is age only $5 cheaper used.

I need a good story or I lose interest. I mostly play sports games nowadays. I haven't really finished a game all the way since Knights of the Old Republic. I LOVED THAT GAME. I used to play some of the final fantasy games on the snes and liked them, but I can't remember if I enjoyed the story. I recently tried fallout 3 and the world felt a little too open to where I couldn't decide what to do next. I prefer combat systems that don't involve too much manual targeting like in fallout 3. Which is why I used to enjoy final fantasy's turn based and KOTORS round based combat.

You don't want to buy Dragon Age used. You'll miss out on Shale, who is a fun character to have around.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What's the most damage you've done? Anybody get in the thousands? I noticed Mana Clash does a huge number on mages. I basically killed that one blood mage in one hit because of it.

Oh, I loved how the different origins actually tie in together.
Like if you're playing anybody other than the dwarf commoner, you'll see his body in the prison next to his buddy with the braids.

Kadey said:
Oh, I loved how the different origins actually tie in together.
Like if you're playing anybody other than the dwarf commoner, you'll see his body in the prison next to his buddy with the braids.

Totally. I played a city elf first, then a mage, and was surprised how much more backstory there was to Jowan you never find out about unless you play mage.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Kadey said:
What's the most damage you've done? Anybody get in the thousands? I noticed Mana Clash does a huge number on mages. I basically killed that one blood mage in one hit because of it.
:lol I'm at Lv. 13, I'm no where near that much.

What level are you at?

cubanb said:
Can you elaborate? I have no idea what you are talking about

You get a download code with new copies for DLC called The Stone Prisoner. It's a quest that ends up getting you a new companion. Shale is a golem, and is one of the more interesting characters in the game.

It is available for download at the ridiculous price of $15 for people who buy used. There's also a code included for free Blood Dragon Armor, which again costs extra to get if you buy used ($10), but it's not as essential (though still really good armor).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I wouldn't say Shale is that interesting, I actually found him annoying, aha. He's most definitely not worth $15, so the code is alright.

Saving $5 seems like a nice thing, but getting the game new on amazon saves you that much (PS3: $55); plus if you get the PC version it's even less than that.

link

Souplak

So I bought the RTO dlc last night on the PS3 and it looks like I encounterd a bug that keeps me from completing the quest.
I killed the necromancer but nothing happens, I dont get the last cutscene and the quest still says I have to kill the necromancer

Have anyone else encounterd this bug and is there anyway to fix it. I hate the idea of having an incomplete quest left when I finish the game.

Atrus

Gold Member
Return to Ostragar is pretty disappointing. It's about an hour long at most, and a large part of it is traversing a winterized version of the same map with less story than that of The Stone Prisoner or Wardens Keep.

The only real addition to the story seems to be the notes between the Orlesian Queen and King Cailen that shows
that plans may have been afoot for Cailen to dump Queen Anora and marry Empress Celene I of Orlesia for an heir

WaltJay

WaltJay said:

Ok, according to the Amazon listing, DA:O is NOT required. I guess we'll find out for sure this week because I swore I read that DA:O is required to play, perhaps so people don't buy DA:A on disc, install it, and pass it around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032LTVWW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

"Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is a standalone expansion, meaning that ownership of the original Dragon Age: Origins game is not necessary for play."

Top Bottom