• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I can't stand live stream. The amount of console tards and their stupid questions (no co-op? no multi? "top-down view makes it play like an RTS") is brain-damaging. I just got into the argument with some tard that dissed Fallout 1&2, said Fallout 3 is awesome.

fallout

EDarkness said:
I have a question. If I buy this game from Steam, do I have to be logged into steam to play it like Half Life 2, or is it just a normal single player game after I buy it?
You can play it in offline mode, if you really want to. If I remember correctly, to play in offline mode, you have to install and run the game at least once before playing in offline mode. Personally, I think it's just easier to stay logged in to Steam, heh.

Truant

Castor Krieg said:
I can't stand live stream. The amount of console tards and their stupid questions (no co-op? no multi? "top-down view makes it play like an RTS") is brain-damaging. I just got into the argument with some tard that dissed Fallout 1&2, said Fallout 3 is awesome.

Just ignore the chat, although I'd advise against watching the stream at all. Even non-spoilery stuff will spoil you in a way, at least that's how it is for me.

EDarkness

fallout said:
You can play it in offline mode, if you really want to. If I remember correctly, to play in offline mode, you have to install and run the game at least once before playing in offline mode. Personally, I think it's just easier to stay logged in to Steam, heh.

Ah. Well, I guess I won't be buying from Steam. I just want to install the game and play without having to worry about logging in and such.

Shawsie64

Banned
Sorry haven't been keeping up with this thread.. how big is the steam download? I wanna get on steam but im afraid my internet wont be able to download it :lol

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Shawsie64 said:
Sorry haven't been keeping up with this thread.. how big is the steam download? I wanna get on steam but im afraid my internet wont be able to download it :lol

My pre-load is at 25% complete and the steam/steamapps/common/dragon age origins/ folder is 4 gigs already... so 16 most likely.

hermit7

Shawsie64 said:

From this thread th download is about 15 gigs I think.

Ploid 3.0

Surprisingly that Bioware post kinda eased my concerns about the framerate. I think I'll be alright if it's GTA4 like framerate.

Currently working on unlocking those items in that flash game. How the heck am I supposed to kill those two ogres (hard mode). It seems like I have to grind more to be able to stand a chance. I put everyone on one and I still couldn't kill it with a lot of lucky misses by the ogres.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
aswedc said:
Bioware speaks...

Andreas Papathanasis, Senior Programmer

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/65513/2

Wow, whoever made that thread is a total dick. He took my words way out of context. I never said the game was shitty. And I never said you should rent it first. All I said was if you're sensitive to framerates hovering around ~20, you won't enjoy the game very much and if you're not sure, just rent and see. Otherwise, if you can live with a choppy framerate, the gameplay is absolutely fantastic.

And, as you can see, even Andreas over at Bioware says that the framerate is a more consistent 30 on the Xbox 360, and closer to 24 on the PS3 - which is unacceptable, and I believe he's a bit too generous with that figure. Also, I think most people will be able to tell between 24 and 30fps. Like I said, in the dense locations, the framerate takes a hit. Is it playable? Depends on your preferences.

Not trolling. Just observing.

Zzoram

AlphaSnake said:
Wow, whoever made that thread is a total dick. He took my words way out of context. I never said the game was shitty. And I never said you should rent it first. All I said was if you're sensitive to framerates hovering around ~20, you won't enjoy the game very much and if you're not sure, just rent and see. Otherwise, if you can live with a choppy framerate, the gameplay is absolutely fantastic.

And, as you can see, even Andreas over at Bioware says that the framerate is a more consistent 30 on the Xbox 360, and closer to 24 on the PS3 - which is unacceptable, and I believe he's a bit too generous with that figure. Also, I think most people will be able to tell between 24 and 30fps. Like I said, in the dense locations, the framerate takes a hit. Is it playable? Depends on your preferences.

Not trolling. Just observing.

I think Sacred 2 ran at 15fps the entire game, and I managed to have fun even though I noticed it.

Justinian

As the kind of person who notices 28 frames per second from 30, I'm glad I'm waiting for a good enough PC to play this maxed out and smooth as butter.

Yes I am a framerate whore, shoot me.

Mindlog

Son of Godzilla said:
Beat Journeys on hard. I originally tried a theif but after not being able to do jack shit with it, I went for a hardcore dwarf tank. Made the game so much easier it's unbelievable. Whoo, ring is mine.

I figured what the hell and decided to playthrough on easy two more times to get the helm. It's hilarious the difference. I even strolled up to the secret two ogres encounter right after rescuing the warden chick and destroyed them.

And it actually works, at least for me. I would totally hunt down a used copy at gamestop's b2g1 free thing next weekend if not for the pre-order stuff.

I just beat it with all 3 as well. I ask myself, why?

Does beating it on hard net anything in itself? I had it on normal just so I could fly through it faster.

Owzers

I believe Alpha when he says the PS3 versions framerate is bad. I don't really know alpha but he also seem very interested in the game, non-partial, and without reason to lie.

I have a hard time believing developers or publishers though.

SlickVic

fallout said:

It certainly is easier just to be logged in but if you're on some university network with 80% ports blocked including Steam, it's nice to have that offline mode to play single player games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
People getting too concerned over framerate issues by a developer that hardly pushes the scope of graphical endeavors - news at 11.

Zzoram said:
What does beating Dragon Age: Journeys do? Give you a code for something in DA:O?

You have a chance to unlock 3 items for DA:O, just play Journeys while logged to your EA account.

One of the items previously required filling out 3 surveys at the end of mission 2,3, and 4. They later changed this to finishing the game on Hard.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to add my voice into the mix. I've been playing it on the PS3 and the frame rate is indeed rough. Most of the time, it's noticeable, but there are some times, particularly in big boss fights where it starts to chug.

The game's going to take a hit on its score for technical reasons alone on the PS3 side.

edit: I have no insight to PC or Xbox 360 versions....

AlphaSnake

Zzoram said:
I think Sacred 2 ran at 15fps the entire game, and I managed to have fun even though I noticed it.

Uggh, now that was beyond a crime. Sacred 2 was unplayable, imo. But that's a discussion for another thread.

I'm going to add my voice into the mix. I've been playing it on the PS3 and the frame rate is indeed rough. Most of the time, it's noticeable, but there are some times, particularly in big boss fights where it starts to chug.

The game's going to take a hit on its score for technical reasons alone on the PS3 side.

Thank you. Finally, some validation. :lol

Ploid 3.0

Zzoram said:
What does beating Dragon Age: Journeys do? Give you a code for something in DA:O?

2lks2gk.jpg

Mindlog

Castor Krieg said:
You have a chance to unlock 3 items for DA:O, just play Journeys while logged to your EA account.

One of the items previously required filling out 3 surveys at the end of mission 2,3, and 4. They later changed this to finishing the game on Hard.

Aha.

I did the surveys.

Although if I could go back one minor thing that got me was that I thought the vendor graphics were reversed. The Magic vendor had weapons behind him and the Warrior vendor had potions and stuff.

El_TigroX said:

Fuck this shit. 360 version.

AlphaSnake

Kosma said:
Has there ever been a 3D Bioware game without framerate issues though?

It's a given.

That's not an excuse, though.

Not that I'm saying you are giving one.

Smokey

Got this game in my #1 spot on my Gamefly Q.

Reading some of the technical issues, sounds like a good idea to rent first.

NewLib

Banned
Its too bad that the PS3 version has framerate issues. Framerate problems really seemed to hamper KOTOR and Mass Effect. Hopefully, the 360 version is smoother.

speedpop

Kosma said:
Has there ever been a 3D Bioware game without framerate issues though?

It's a given.
That was my original point. People are getting too anal about these things when the game itself is coming from a developer that is known for their stories and characters, not its optimization prowess.

I'm expecting framerate issues on the PC version. Anyone thinking that it is going to contain smooth sailing gameplay from start-to-end is drinking some zany tonic.

NewLib said:
Its too bad that the PS3 version has framerate issues. Framerate problems really seemed to hamper KOTOR and Mass Effect. Hopefully, the 360 version is smoother.
Therein lies your dilemma. This is BioWare, you stated yourself that there were framerate issues in KoTOR and Mass Effect. You are not going to get a butter-smooth experience no matter what machine you are playing a BioWare game on.

Kosma

Banned
It's no excuse I know, I just dont know why this is always an issue with them. I wouldnt skip out on this game though because of lousy framerates though, I even finished Mass Effect on my laptop which didnt run very smooth at all (Fallout 3 did though...better coding?). That said I'm happy I'm getting this on PC and no matter what I should be able to get a decent framerate going (although I have to agree with Speedpop it will prob have dips too).

@Speedpop: I swear to god, people ALWAYS forget Bioware games have framerate issues only to get anal about it and make a drama a week before launch.

speedpop

Justinian said:
Not if you have a powerful enough PC :D
Says who though? I'm sure there were many moments in Mass Effect where my framerate dipped, even though the PC version is considered the smoothest experience compared to the 360. It's just that I have never been bothered by framerates so I hardly, if ever, noticed them.

People are not anal about the framerate, I didn't read a single post saying "I won't buy DA:O because of framerate". However, for people with PS3+X360 or PC+console combo it would be foolish not to get the best version in terms of graphic performance which looks like this:

PC>>>>X360>PS3

TheFallen

You guys flip flop over every single bit of impressions or comments from the developers throughout the thread. If you were already leaning toward getting the PS3 version, then get it. The framerate and technical issues are likely not going to hamper your experience. When have those issues stopped people from purchasing lackluster ports from both sides? Shit, Mass Effect ran like shit on 360 and I loved it despite its faults.

And of course BioWare is going to do damage control over something like that. I'll never believe a developer when they make those kinds of comments. Oh hai PC Borderlands?

Retrofluxed

speedpop said:
I'm expecting framerate issues on the PC version. Anyone thinking that it is going to contain smooth sailing gameplay from start-to-end is drinking some zany tonic.

I'm running:

Phenom II x4 @ 3.1
8 Gigs of DDR2
Two 250gig WD HDDs running in Raid 5
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ATi 5870 1gig
23" Acer monitor running at 1080p (HDMI connection)

If I have frame rate issues, that is some sorry, sloppy ass coding.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
People are not anal about the framerate, I didn't read a single post saying "I won't buy DA:O because of framerate". However, for people with PS3+X360 or PC+console combo it would be foolish not to get the best version in terms of graphic performance which looks like this:

PC>>>>X360>PS3
There are a lot of people that enjoy the console experience more than the pc one. I cant sit in front of my computer for hours playing a game and enjoy it the way i should be. But i can sit in front of my TV and do that. I got a capable pc and the only games i force myself to play on it are the ones that are pc exclusive like crysis. Shame though that pc exclusives are disappearing rather fast. Diablo 3 should help out with that though.

RS4-

Damn Journeys never worked on my PC for whatever reason, so I'm missing out on the items.

Had to delete a few 360 installs just for this upcoming monster of a game.

epmode

~Kinggi~ said:
There are a lot of people that enjoy the console experience more than the pc one. I cant sit in front of my computer for hours playing a game and enjoy it the way i should be. But i can sit in front of my TV and do that.
PCs are rad because you can make them just as friendly as a comfy couch console, provided you put the time into it.

Deja vu.

Kosma

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
I cant sit in front of my computer for hours playing a game and enjoy it the way i should be. But i can sit in front of my TV and do that.

Thats got to do with your setup and not PC gaming. This argument is soooooooooo ooooooooooold. I got my PC hooked up to my telly.

Then again this whole debate is fucking useless, just buy the game and play it, I dont care on what, as long as you enjoy it.

SlickVic

Heh didn't realize Amazon was offering Release Date Delivery on this so looks like I'll have it on Tuesday. Too much studying to do this week to play but staring at the box provides it's own form of entertainment. :lol

FrankT

El_TigroX said:

It will be interesting to see if US/Euro gaming outlets actually do dock it points (like German Gamepro), but this is like the third time we've seen the same thing said one way or another. AlphaSnake vindicated regardless. I also think it's a bit disingenuous for Bioware to play this off as well. Also what about the pop-up and other issues brought up? I mean 24fps, ok not really cool, but chugging is another thing altogether.

This preload is gonna take a while, and it's coming down between 500KB/s-1Mbit.

I wish devs would just hit graphics/image quality in order to lock 30fps/enable vsync. Choppy experience with torn frames instantly pull me out of a game in a way slightly less impressive graphics never will.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kosma said:
Thats got to do with your setup and not PC gaming. This argument is soooooooooo ooooooooooold. I got my PC hooked up to my telly.

Then again this whole debate is fucking useless, just buy the game and play it, I dont care on what, as long as you enjoy it.

The ignorant will take this one to the grave.

Ironically I actually know a few people who have their consoles (PS3/360) hooked up to 19" - 24" LCD displays and are unable to move them out to their living rooms to use on their larger televisions because they are always in use by other family members.

Anyway, there is nothing about a console that makes it more usable on a TV than a PC. They all hook up equally easily.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Jtyettis said:
It will be interesting to see if US/Euro gaming outlets actually do dock it points (like German Gamepro), but this is like the third time we've seen the same thing said one way or another. AlphaSnake vindicated regardless. I also think it's a bit disingenuous for Bioware to play this off as well. Also what about the pop-up and other issues brought up? I mean 24fps, ok not really cool, but chugging is another thing altogether.
BioWare has very little to gain from acknowledging the problem with the port. They will get a few hundred people saying: "That's honest of them." but they don't want negative buzz going around pre-launch. Imagine if suddenly all news websites reported that "BioWare acknowledges the PS3 version was no priority."

Nif

The amulet unlocked for me in Journeys somehow. I've been playing in normal off and on for 10 minutes at a time and haven't even beaten the game yet. :p

Top Bottom