• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

epmode

When I hit 2% pre-loaded, the bandwidth monitor said I was up to 200 megabytes downloaded. So it seems to be a 10 gigabyte download. Not sure about the uncompressed size.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
3% at 450 KB/s gogogo.
Himuro said:
Think I'll be able to play 60 fps on my gtx 260M?
At what res, 1368x768? You'll be closer than me.

I'm running a 260M with a T9800, and I don't expect 60 constant at my native res (1680x1050). Keep in mind that our card is just a mobile version of the 55nm 9800 GT, G92b. We'll be over 30fps constantly though.

You should overclock your card to at least 600/1500/900. I know some G51 users who are up to like 640/1600/950 stable.

Minsc

Gold Member
New Steam top 10 for last week:

1. Borderlands.
2. Left 4 Dead 2.
3. Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition and Torchlight.
4. Dragon Age: Origins and Football Manager 2010.
5. Killing Floor.
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
7. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.
9. Team Fortress 2.
10. Aion Standard Edition.

Nice hold on spots #3 & 4, not too bad, been in the top 5 the past 3 weeks of pre-sales. I hope when it's released this week it's enough to bump it up to #1 for a few weeks!

Minsc said:
Nice hold on spots #3 & 4, not too bad, been in the top 5 the past 3 weeks of pre-sales. I hope when it's released this week it's enough to bump it up to #1 for a few weeks!
Would be nice but it really depends if people go for one specific version or not. It might happen but i am not counting on it, because it would mean the game is selling twice over any other ones.

hermit7

Anyone planning on doing a shapeshifting mage?

I think for my play style it would suit me best but I haven't seen much information on the spells etc. yet. After that play through I think I am going to be a Ranger. Really excited hopefully the game matches the hype.

Since we are talking about configs, etc. how do I fare?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
GeForce 260GTX <------ any way to overclock this?

Max. resolution for my monitor is 1650x1050. Will I be able to max everything at this resolution?

TheFallen

hermit7 said:
Anyone planning on doing a shapeshifting mage?

I think for my play style it would suit me best but I haven't seen much information on the spells etc. yet. After that play through I think I am going to be a Ranger. Really excited hopefully the game matches the hype.
Well if you have Morrigan in your party you already have a shapeshifting mage, might be worth playing another class with her along... it's basically like playing 4 classes at once.

hermit7

TheFallen said:
Well if you have Morrigan in your party you already have a shapeshifting mage, might be worth playing another class with her along... it's basically like playing 4 classes at once.

Mm... thats a good point. Maybe I'll just do a Ranger then and I can have the best of both worlds.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
sorta off topic.

I got the deluxe digital ver and after dealing with torchlight/L4D2/borderlands, why oh why do they have to decrypt the files after downloading and installing them? I know it prevents people playing the game before it's released, but this 'download now and play as soon as it's released' doesn't hold water when a regular installation is about as long as the decrypting takes.

I'm at 17% now...man this is going to take a long ass time.

Ploid 3.0

Snuggler said:
The slaves at my local Gamestop have been hyping this game up as a big seller, some have even claimed that it'll sell out due to the high demand for it. They're probably full of shit, though, but I might have trouble switching if I go to the midnight launch. I want the superior version, but at the same time I'd like to support Bioware's first attempt on the PS3, they're one of my favorite developers so I want to do what I can to encourage them to stick with the system. But then again, I shouldn't support mediocre ports.

Don't encourage their bad performance, get the best version. You don't give treats to a pet when it pee on the carpet. Let them know the build won't cut it, it's not charity (just like the Brutal Legend thing).

Ulairi

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Is this supposed to be great on consoles or is the pc the only way to play this thing?

The PC is the lead platform, will feature more support and has the power of the mod community behind it. That being said, the console ports aren't BAD games but they aren't as good as the PC. If you can play it on the PC there isn't a reason not to play on the lead platform.

Ulairi

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
Since we are talking about configs, etc. how do I fare?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
4GB RAM
GeForce 260GTX <------ any way to overclock this?

Max. resolution for my monitor is 1650x1050. Will I be able to max everything at this resolution?

You'll be fine.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zeliard said:
My pre-load's done, but it doesn't matter. :(

Same and I was messing around looking at all the files and everything seems to be locked, the DDE wallpapers and soundtrack, all of it. Also the game only takes up 15 gigs so I wonder where the other 5 come into play since the requirements said 20.

hermit7

Does anyone know what the install size is on the 360 version? Only have a 20 gig hard drive and want to make sure it will fit.

datamage

[Bauer]Dammit![/Bauer]

I'm about to pull the trigger on Steam, I'm just not sure if I should go Deluxe or stick with the regular.

This mage livestream is amazing. I'm so stoked for DA:O, Tuesday can't get here fast enough! But... I must finish Uncharted 2 and possibly Borderlands before I dive into this BioWare awesome-fest. :loll

I plan to rock a Dalish Elf Warrior on the '360.

epmode

Kuro Madoushi said:
sorta off topic.

I got the deluxe digital ver and after dealing with torchlight/L4D2/borderlands, why oh why do they have to decrypt the files after downloading and installing them? I know it prevents people playing the game before it's released, but this 'download now and play as soon as it's released' doesn't hold water when a regular installation is about as long as the decrypting takes.
Better than having to download the entire thing on release day. And it completely prevents zero-day piracy (if it's one of the games that requires Steam, I mean).

Nif

datamage said:
[Bauer]Dammit![/Bauer]

I'm about to pull the trigger on Steam, I'm just not sure if I should go Deluxe or stick with the regular.

If I didn't jump when Steam had the $55 price mistake, I'd go with the standard edition. Exclusive items are fine, but they won't be the best in the game or anything. Warden's Keep is only $7 too, isn't it? The Stone Prisoner comes with all new copies of DA:O to prevent used game sales.

Beat Journeys on hard. I originally tried a theif but after not being able to do jack shit with it, I went for a hardcore dwarf tank. Made the game so much easier it's unbelievable. Whoo, ring is mine.

I figured what the hell and decided to playthrough on easy two more times to get the helm. It's hilarious the difference. I even strolled up to the secret two ogres encounter right after rescuing the warden chick and destroyed them.

The Stone Prisoner comes with all new copies of DA:O to prevent used game sales.
And it actually works, at least for me. I would totally hunt down a used copy at gamestop's b2g1 free thing next weekend if not for the pre-order stuff.

TheFallen

Son of Godzilla said:
Beat Journeys on hard. I originally tried a theif but after not being able to do jack shit with it, I went for a hardcore dwarf tank. Made the game so much easier it's unbelievable. Whoo, ring is mine.

I figured what the hell and decided to playthrough on easy two more times to get the helm. It's hilarious the difference. I even strolled up to the secret two ogres encounter right after rescuing the warden chick and destroyed them.
So does it end abruptly when you finish the 3 machine quest? It's hard to tell, since you can keep going after. No where does it say "one character complete." I'm curious as I may continue trying for the helm and ring. Already did one playthrough if that was the end of it.

bengraven

I've made one of every possible origin: three women, three men.

Still debating on which to start with. Usually I play a straight "soldier/warrior" type for my first try through a game and purposely made my human warrior look as much like me as possible.

But I dunno, that's kind of boring.

Shipment 1 of 1
Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate: November 3, 2009

They better be over-nighting this shit, for reals.

quaere

Bioware speaks...
Let's give this one more try.

The PS3 version is identical to 360. Same textures, same visual effects, same pop-in distance for LOD. Framerate might actually be different between the two platforms under certain circumstances, given how they're entirely different hardware. I played through both console versions more than once - framerate is consistent throughout and won't be a problem at all (unless you can somehow tell when the game is running at 24 vs 30 FPS, and you find 24 frames a second unplayable. If that's the case I would expect you to have issues with many games, not just Dragon Age).

The game delaying for the PS3 in various regions has to do with certification/publishing differences in those regions, and absolutely nothing to do with the development of the PS3 version.

I'd suggest you wait until you see for yourself, or until more comparison reviews come out, before you draw final conclusions.
Andreas Papathanasis, Senior Programmer

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/65513/2

Acosta

I still can't say shit, but this won't do any harm. The game is quite low tech wise, so if you are afraid of not having computer for it, fear not. When the game looks great, it does by awesome art, not for graphical power. Here are the required specs for Vista:

Windows Vista with SP1
Intel Core 2 1,6 GHz / AMD X2 2,2 GHz
ATI Radeon X1550 256 MB/ NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB
RAM: 1,5 Gb

Pretty low stuff.

FrankT

Just saw a nice ad on the marketplace. This is exactly the way they should be handling it. With proper marketing going forward and positive word of mouth this game could do very well. Marketing has been lackluster to date, but the last fiew videos have not been too bad.

aswedc said:
Bioware speaks...

Andreas Papathanasis, Senior Programmer

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/65513/2

Interesting in light of the hands on impressions in here and the Gamepro Germany review. I suppose we will all find out for ourselves in two days.

hermit7 said:
Does anyone know what the install size is on the 360 version? Only have a 20 gig hard drive and want to make sure it will fit.

TheFallen said:
So does it end abruptly when you finish the 3 machine quest? It's hard to tell, since you can keep going after. No where does it say "one character complete." I'm curious as I may continue trying for the helm and ring. Already did one playthrough if that was the end of it.
Yea, you get an ending of sorts. It's supposed to be the first game of a couple, I imagine that's why it allows you to keep going. You can even reload the auto-save after the ending and wander around.

SlickVic

Is Amazon the way to go for the cheapest price on this game ($46.99 with $10 gift card)? I think I heard Impulse is $40 with that SURVEY-2009 20% off coupon but since I can use that gift card towards Mass Effect 2, Amazon seems like a little better deal.

will my htpc be able to handle this baby?
ati 4670
athlon ii x4 620
4g ram

or should i get the 360/ps3 version? (it seems that the 360 version runs smoother than the ps3, is it true?)

i need this or demon's soul as my mmorpg fix.

SlickVic said:
Is Amazon the way to go for the cheapest price on this game ($46.99 with $10 gift card)? I think I heard Impulse is $40 with that SURVEY-2009 20% off coupon but since I can use that gift card towards Mass Effect 2, Amazon seems like a little better deal.

For retail, Amazon is the best deal. Based on current trend of pre-orders on Amazon, I will be surprised if ME2 will not have any video game credit promotion before release.

Fredescu

Twilight Princess said:
ati 4670
athlon ii x4 620
4g ram
It will handle it for sure. Perhaps not at absolute max, but it still should perform better than the console versions.

Twilight Princess said:
Neither are mmorpgs. Demon's Souls sometimes feels like it though with all the ghosts running around.

SlickVic

MirageDwarf said:
For retail, Amazon is the best deal. Based on current trend of pre-orders on Amazon, I will be surprised if ME2 will not have any video game credit promotion before release.

Yeah Amazon it is for me. Another $10 credit with Mass Effect 2 would rock since I could put that towards Ace Attorney: Investigations.

Acosta

Twilight Princess said:
ati 4670
athlon ii x4 620
4g ram

or should i get the 360/ps3 version? (it seems that the 360 version runs smoother than the ps3, is it true?)

I feel ignored... Go for it, you have more than enough machine.

And Fredescu, can't say nothing. Just buy it (ups, I said something).

fallout

Enduin said:
Same and I was messing around looking at all the files and everything seems to be locked, the DDE wallpapers and soundtrack, all of it. Also the game only takes up 15 gigs so I wonder where the other 5 come into play since the requirements said 20.
In my experience, Steam only preloads around 80% of the game. When you unlock, you'll have to wait for the other 5 gigs or so to download, and then for the game to decrypt. I look forward to everyone being pissed off about that, heh.

thanks, Fredescu & Acosta.

just read more on the game mechanics, now i'm definitely getting it. it seems like an epic offline wow without the retarded teammates, which is exactly what i want to play.

EDarkness

I have a question. If I buy this game from Steam, do I have to be logged into steam to play it like Half Life 2, or is it just a normal single player game after I buy it?

Top Bottom