• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Haunted

I'm enjoying Journeys for what it is, it's a nice way to prep myself for the real thing. :D

~Kinggi~ said:
There are a lot of people that enjoy the console experience more than the pc one. I cant sit in front of my computer for hours playing a game and enjoy it the way i should be. But i can sit in front of my TV and do that.
That's like saying you're not enjoying the console experience because you got them hooked up to a 12" monitor! Would you blame that on the consoles? I think not. It's all up to you, this unlimited customisability is the true beauty of PC gaming.

Kosma

Banned
When I first bought a 360 I didnt have an HDTV yet (they were still very expensive here) so I bought a nice 19" monitor to hook it up too. Worked great.

Shawsie64

Banned
Zefah said:
The ignorant will take this one to the grave.

Ironically I actually know a few people who have their consoles (PS3/360) hooked up to 19" - 24" LCD displays and are unable to move them out to their living rooms to use on their larger televisions because they are always in use by other family members.

Anyway, there is nothing about a console that makes it more usable on a TV than a PC. They all hook up equally easily.

Yeah i have my 360, PS3 and PC all through the same 24" monitor, i cant really get into games on a big TV =/

FuttBuck said:
360 version from all the streams I've seen in HQ have shown little to no slowdown.

I've noticed a bit of slowdown when the more elaborate spells are cast on even the 360 version. But of course the game is paused 90% of the time in these various streams and videos, so it's hard to tell.

And of course apparent slowdown could just be video or stream problems.

Edit: Can we take the console vs PC BS to another thread? You know, one that nobody will ever read because nobody cares about it.

Cohsae

Zzoram said:
How many hours does it take to unlock those items in Journeys? Is Hard really that hard?
I would also like an answer to this. If it doesn't take long to get those items then I'll probably do it.

Zzoram

Cohsae said:
I would also like an answer to this. If it doesn't take long to get those items then I'll probably do it.

Ya same. I don't care enough to spend 20 hours to unlock 3 items that'll probably ruin the early game by making me overpowered anyways.

Minsc

Gold Member
speedpop said:
Says who though? I'm sure there were many moments in Mass Effect where my framerate dipped, even though the PC version is considered the smoothest experience compared to the 360. It's just that I have never been bothered by framerates so I hardly, if ever, noticed them.

PC version will run fine. Bioware's already said you only need a 8800GT to max it out.

8800GT is not even close to being king of the hill these days.

A 5850 or even 5750 won't break a sweat. And even if it does, you can adjust the graphic options to optimize your framerate.

So it's next to impossible for the PC version to have slowdown, especially on a faster rig.

You're nuts for thinking otherwise. There's been a multitude of PC reviews as well, not even one has complained about framerate.

Zzoram said:
How many hours does it take to unlock those items in Journeys? Is Hard really that hard?
I unlocked the two items that aren't the helm and then quit (before they changed the way you get the amulet). No way am I doing the rest of it. Far too much grinding, even for a decent enough flash game.

Zzoram

bandresen said:
BioWare has very little to gain from acknowledging the problem with the port. They will get a few hundred people saying: "That's honest of them." but they don't want negative buzz going around pre-launch. Imagine if suddenly all news websites reported that "BioWare acknowledges the PS3 version was no priority."

They specifically pointed out that the 360/PS3 versions use the same textures and effects. I think that's why the PS3 version suffers in framerate. They figured the comparison shots showing worse PS3 graphics would hurt sales more than worse PS3 framerate.

Much of the game is played while paused or talking to people anyways, and it's certainly not a twitch reflex game. It doesn't have to be buttery smooth to be playable.

Zzoram

Minsc said:
PC version will run fine. Bioware's already said you only need a 8800GT to max it out.

8800GT is not even close to being king of the hill these days.

A 5850 or even 5750 won't break a sweat. And even if it does, you can adjust the graphic options to optimize your framerate.

So it's next to impossible for the PC version to have slowdown, especially on a faster rig.

You're nuts for thinking otherwise. There's been a multitude of PC reviews as well, not even one has complained about framerate.

5870 will almost certainly max it with 4xAA, 16xAF, vsync, at 1920x1200. That's always been the benefit of high end cards, higher resolution and more AA.

Dipper145

Castor Krieg said:
However, for people with PS3+X360 or PC+console combo it would be foolish not to get the best version in terms of graphic performance which looks like this:

PC>>>>X360>PS3
Really? The best version in terms of graphic perforamance for me goes like this: X360+PS3 >> PC

Well I am ready for tuesday :D
2qbtys2.jpg

BTW, the Dragon Age folder is 15.2 GB

bengraven

Fuck me, I shouldn't have bought Borderlands yesterday and got Torchlight middle of last week. DA arrives Tuesday and there's...

THERE'S JUST TOO MANY GAMES.

And NaNoWriMo to boot. :/

Oh and I get married a week from today.

Dipper145 said:
Really? The best version in terms of graphic perforamance for me goes like this: X360+PS3 >> PC

I don't know why people care so much about what video games other people play, or what they play it on. It's retarded, but apparently it's not going to stop either.

Shawsie64

Banned
bengraven said:
Fuck me, I shouldn't have bought Borderlands yesterday and got Torchlight middle of last week. DA arrives Tuesday and there's...

Congrats!

Im in the same boat, way too many games =/ not getting married though :lol

bengraven said:

Maybe you should delay your marriage until the 2nd quarter of 2010.

beast786 said:
Is someone can answere my question.

How were the textures in Mass effect on 360?

Texture pop-in was horrendous.

The actual textures themselves were generally excellent. The game itself was visually impressive, it's just that the framerate drops and texture pop-in were horrible.

So, let me get this straight. There are people in here, who fully know that this is a Bioware game, and yet they are saying the following:

A. They expect to get a buttery smooth framerate with their PC version

B. The PS3 version is inferior because it has a SLIGHTLY slower framerate.

C. They are ranking the versions via supposed framerates, of which they have zero knowledge about.

Just when you think you see it all, GAF throws something new at you. Framerate whores need to STFU or GTFO. If you're a framerate whore, then Bioware games are definitely not for you, no matter how badly you want them to be. Every Bioware game I have ever played (Which includes Baldur's Gate and its sequel) have never, ever held a steady framerate. Mass Effect on the 360 was full of slowdown, and the PC version wasn't much better, if you set aside the fact that it is a buggy mess. Even KOTOR and Jade Empire were chock full of slowdown everywhere you looked. Either the people in here complaining about framerates have extremely short memories or they're just posers.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
AzureNightmareXE said:
~20 vs. the reported 30 on the 360 is not SLIGHTLY lower.

AzureNightmareXE said:
C. They are ranking the versions via supposed framerates, of which they have zero knowledge about.
You must not read this thread then. How is an acknowledgement of a developer, testimonials from people that have played both versions and currently play the PS3 version and gameplay trailers for both platforms "zero knowledge"?

EDIT: Okay enough of me shitting this thread full with my defense of the frame rate truth. I and a few others learned that we should change my from PS3 to 360, that must be good enough for now.

TheFallen

AzureNightmareXE said:
Just when you think you see it all, GAF throws something new at you. Framerate whores need to STFU or GTFO.
Nah, this is nothing new. They shit up these threads constantly. I don't mind the PC spec help, or the pre-order/bonus questions. I just wish this thread actually discussed the game, rather than dispute someone's impressions or opinions. Thank god for the informative wiki I guess.

Phloxy

I will say this, 360 version installed runs butter smooth and the longest save was about 6 seconds. I will say, having only 6 slots for abilities is extremely limiting unfortunately. At level 6, I already have about 9 different techniques and I'm already juggling back and forth like mad.

FrankT

AzureNightmareXE said:

No, in fact I think that is what you are saying. The posters here that have played it on the PS3 have said anything but slightly slower framerate. I know it maybe easy to capture that into your mindset, but that is not what these guys have said at all even in light of Bioware's comments on the matter. Not to mention the other technical issues that have been brought up. But let's see what they actually stated in the first place;

AlphaSnake said:
Maaaan, the Xbox 360 version's graphics look great compared to the PS3 game. And the framerate looks so freaking nice too for the 360. Damn, the PS3 version is borked. EA should've left the thing delayed until January like they wanted to.

AlphaSnake said:
Nope. The PS3 game is seldom stable after you begin venturing out to other parts of the game world. And the pop-up is horrific on the PS3 game, you'd imagine that with such awful pop-up, the game would AT LEAST have a stable framerate. Not to mention the textures in the PS3 game are noticeably worse too. Goddamn it, I'm just so sick of the PS3 getting shafted like this again.

Bioware and EA are a bunch of goons for releasing this - it's not optimized at all.

AlphaSnake said:
I'd say just around or below 20. It's low enough that it's extremely obvious.

El_TigroX said:
I'm going to add my voice into the mix. I've been playing it on the PS3 and the frame rate is indeed rough. Most of the time, it's noticeable, but there are some times, particularly in big boss fights where it starts to chug.

The game's going to take a hit on its score for technical reasons alone on the PS3 side.

edit: I have no insight to PC or Xbox 360 versions....

Big difference with your gross generalization of the matter.

Phloxy said:
I will say this, 360 version installed runs butter smooth and the longest save was about 6 seconds.

Good to hear.

Fredescu

AzureNightmareXE said:
Yes.

AzureNightmareXE said:
That'd be a yes.

AzureNightmareXE said:
Now you're making shit up, or calling posters liars. Do both if you want, I'm just pointing that out.

AzureNightmareXE said:
Mass Effect on the 360 was full of slowdown, and the PC version wasn't much better
Err, no. The PC version was much better. I got very little slowdown. I replayed it just recently and can't remember anything major.

Ploid 3.0

RS4- said:
Damn Journeys never worked on my PC for whatever reason, so I'm missing out on the items.

Had to delete a few 360 installs just for this upcoming monster of a game.

It's working on mine but it has to be like 4 frames per second when moving around. I just got the bard and this bind like ability (injure the legs so the enemy can barely move) is very useful.

I don't even know if I want the other items though. I got the resist item and the other two seem to be for a tank, and mage. Will the items be accessible each time you start the game over or something?

Hmm....I ordered the PS3 Collector's Edition a while back from Amazon and it still says Delivery is set for Nov. 20th, so obviously, it's still referring to the old release date. Anybody else getting this, or has their release date updated? I'm just worried I won't get it this week.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
~Kinggi~ said:
There are a lot of people that enjoy the console experience more than the pc one. I cant sit in front of my computer for hours playing a game and enjoy it the way i should be. But i can sit in front of my TV and do that. I got a capable pc and the only games i force myself to play on it are the ones that are pc exclusive like crysis. Shame though that pc exclusives are disappearing rather fast. Diablo 3 should help out with that though.

Where do all these guys come from?

AzureNightmareXE said:
Just when you think you see it all, GAF throws something new at you. Framerate whores need to STFU or GTFO. If you're a framerate whore, then Bioware games are definitely not for you, no matter how badly you want them to be. Every Bioware game I have ever played (Which includes Baldur's Gate and its sequel) have never, ever held a steady framerate. Mass Effect on the 360 was full of slowdown, and the PC version wasn't much better, if you set aside the fact that it is a buggy mess. Even KOTOR and Jade Empire were chock full of slowdown everywhere you looked. Either the people in here complaining about framerates have extremely short memories or they're just posers.

Ummm, yes it was.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Himuro said:
It's hard to discuss the game when Bioware's being cocks about embargo and the fact there's a lack of gameplay footage out there to begin with.

Theres been a pretty good amount of footage out there from the start, plus last night there was like nearly 8 hours of live gameplay on justin.tv by two users with the 360 version and there another one going on right now of the Dalish Elf origin, here.

Edit: Dalish Elf just ended looks likes he going on to a new origin as a Male Noble Rogue.

hermit7

After watching the Gametrailers videos (Spider Cave), the slowdown seems really minimal.

Alphasnake: Is this about the amount of slowdown throughout?

Despite these issues I am really excited for this to come out, looks to be an engrossing and highly crafted game.

TheFallen

Ploid 3.0 said:
It's working on mine but it has to be like 4 frames per second when moving around. I just got the bard and this bind like ability (injure the legs so the enemy can barely move) is very useful.

I don't even know if I want the other items though. I got the resist item and the other two seem to be for a tank, and mage. Will the items be accessible each time you start the game over or something?
Yea, apparently you'll have them on every character. I've probably put in like 7 hours working toward the helmet. Definitely not worth the time, but then again I was bored and had time to kill. Three playthroughs is asking for a lot, even with speed runs.

Satanyoka

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Wow, whoever made that thread is a total dick. He took my words way out of context. I never said the game was shitty. And I never said you should rent it first. All I said was if you're sensitive to framerates hovering around ~20, you won't enjoy the game very much and if you're not sure, just rent and see. Otherwise, if you can live with a choppy framerate, the gameplay is absolutely fantastic.

And, as you can see, even Andreas over at Bioware says that the framerate is a more consistent 30 on the Xbox 360, and closer to 24 on the PS3 - which is unacceptable, and I believe he's a bit too generous with that figure. Also, I think most people will be able to tell between 24 and 30fps. Like I said, in the dense locations, the framerate takes a hit. Is it playable? Depends on your preferences.

Not trolling. Just observing.

Hey now :( Sorry if I took your words out of context. I was just trying to let the Ps3 owners be cautious. My post could have been better worded but I redeemed myself (maybe?) In later posts. It's the way you kept posting about it you made it sound like a pos. Anyway my apologies.

McHuj

GODDAMNIT!

I get the email that my game shipped from Amazon. To my parent's house. Fuck. Now, they'll have to send it to me. It's been years since I've used it and yet it still pops up as the default. That will add a week.

Minsc

Gold Member
AzureNightmareXE said:
So, let me get this straight. There are people in here, who fully know that this is a Bioware game, and yet they are saying the following:

Way to make a critical fail :lol

double critical failures = death, fyi

Also, the Infinity Engine games ran perfectly fine on my PIII 800.

careksims

Gah! After all this time I'm at 62% downloading... all well. Won't be playable tomorrow anyways >_<

Reading about all the frame rate bickering is :lol

SlickVic

McHuj said:
GODDAMNIT!

I get the email that my game shipped from Amazon. To my parent's house. Fuck. Now, they'll have to send it to me. It's been years since I've used it and yet it still pops up as the default. That will add a week.

Same thing happened to me with an order couple years ago. Realized my mistake 20 minutes after I placed the order but it was too late, it already moved to the shipping soon phase. Fortunately it was a week before Thanksgiving so I was going home soon anyways.

Hasn't happened to me since though, it's now much better at defaulting to the most used address (for me at least)

Fredescu said:
Now you're making shit up, or calling posters liars. Do both if you want, I'm just pointing that out.
Making shit up? Hardly. Calling posters liars? Not even close. Now you are making shit up. A friend of mine from another forum (whose name shall remain undisclosed due to the site's current status with the GAF administration) works in EA's Quality Assurance department. He's observed all three versions of the game in action and wanted me to tell all of you that based upon what he's seen, the PS3 version has the same framerate as the other two versions. He said all three versions look great. You can call me a liar, you can say I am wrong, or that I am making shit up, but I advise against it as it will just make you look stupid when all is said and done.

FrankT

clashfan said:
Has anyone tried to install DA on the 360? How does it run?

Phloxy said:
I will say this, 360 version installed runs butter smooth and the longest save was about 6 seconds.

Per above.

AzureNightmareXE said:
Making shit up? Hardly. Calling posters liars? Not even close. Now you are making shit up. A friend of mine from another forum (whose name shall remain undisclosed due to the site's current status with the GAF administration) works in EA's Quality Assurance department. He's observed all three versions of the game in action and wanted me to tell all of you that based upon what he's seen, the PS3 version has the same framerate as the other two versions. He said all three versions look great. You can call me a liar, you can say I am wrong, or that I am making shit up, but I advise against it as it will just make you look stupid when all is said and done.

That's great to hear because even Bioware noted the difference of 24 versus 30 even it doesn't completely jive with the first hand impressions here.

Owzers

AzureNightmareXE said:

When all is said and done = people are playing the ps3 version and saying the framerate isn't great/not a solid 30. That's mostly said and done for me.

Fredescu

AzureNightmareXE said:
Making shit up? Hardly. Calling posters liars? Not even close. Now you are making shit up.
We have two posters in the thread with experience with the PS3 versions both saying that that they had framerate issues. You said that people with zero experience were reporting this. You were wrong. Feel free to chose who you believe, but if you believe your friend at EA QA over two other posters, then it's clear what you think of the opinions of those people.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm still waiting for him to explain how exactly he had slowdown in 1998 with Baldur's Gate, its recommended system cpu was only a Pentium 200 (I had a Pentium Pro 200 for about 2 years before BG was released, and that ran it fine), not to mention the PIII 800 I upgraded to, a few years after it's release (around the time of BG2 - which recommends a 400mhz Pentium II).

RPGCrazied

Well the framerate in the 360 stream looks good, but he was in a house/dwelling, whats it like outdoors?

I want to get it bad, but mass effect 360 was a technical mess.

Top Bottom