• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

LCfiner

Holy shit, some of those specializations seem really cool.

Love the blood mage and devour classes :lol

but… I think I’m going with an Arcane Warrior Mage specialization.

Guys, I need your advice here, the game comes out this Friday and while my computer specs seem to be the recommended I would like to hear your opinion.

Here's the info on my PC:

Intel Core Duo CPU @2.66 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Do you think it will hold decently at high settings and good frame rate at 1680x1050?

I honestly wanna know as I'm currently debating on which platform should I get it for, having the three of them available.
Of course the lower price and mod support are my priorities that's why I am aiming for the PC version but I just hope my PC can handle it well

Aljosa said:
Hmm, okay. I won't be going higher than 1024x768 anyway, I hope that's good enough for medium with 30fps. If not, I'll just go ahead and purchase the 360 version. It can't be that inferior, I think. :p

No, it won't be. It's the same game - the same story, the same settings, the same characters - just without the isometric viewpoint and with fewer enemies on screen, but all levelled to provide the same difficulty. (Oh, and no mods, but for the first couple of months that'll be pretty much a moot point - at least, until you finish the game, right?) We're getting a copy on 360 and a copy on PC - I prefer couch, and would choose to play KOTOR view, my wife prefers Baldur's Gate view and desk, so it'll work out fine. I don't think either of us will be suffering: we'll be playing the version we'd rather play. The snobbishness about the PC version? Getting slightly out of hand now.

Minsc

Gold Member
whatevermort said:
No, it won't be. It's the same game - the same story, the same settings, the same characters - just without the isometric viewpoint and with fewer enemies on screen, but all levelled to provide the same difficulty. (Oh, and no mods, but for the first couple of months that'll be pretty much a moot point - at least, until you finish the game, right?) We're getting a copy on 360 and a copy on PC - I prefer couch, and would choose to play KOTOR view, my wife prefers Baldur's Gate view and desk, so it'll work out fine. I don't think either of us will be suffering: we'll be playing the version we'd rather play. The snobbishness about the PC version? Getting slightly out of hand now.

And reading about couches and gamepads is getting out of hand too, to be fair.

I say your best bet is simply ignoring all the posts bothering you, and hope they go away. But even if they don't, ignoring them is the best solution.

Durante

Tony Redgrave said:
Do you think it will hold decently at high settings and good frame rate at 1680x1050?
First of all, your specs are sufficient for what you asked, so get the PC version.

I do have one remark however: why do many multi-platform owners make it a requirement that their PC must run the game at higher settings and higher resolutions than the console versions (which presumably run at 1280*720 with the equivalent of medium settings and 30 FPS if you're lucky)?

~Kinggi~ said:
Anyone else find it refreshing this game actually lets you make attractive female players. Fucking Bethesda man.
Indeed. (At least mods fix that for all the Bethsoft games)

Durante said:
First of all, your specs are sufficient for what you asked, so get the PC version.

I do have one remark however: why do many multi-platform owners make it a requirement that their PC must run the game at higher settings and higher resolutions than the console versions (which presumably run at 1280*720 with the equivalent of medium settings and 30 FPS if you're lucky)?
Thanks for the advice, well I guess it's just a matter of wanting the best possible performance, after all that's what it makes it worth in comparison with the other versions isn't it? along with the mods of course

LCfiner

GarthVaderUK said:
Just checked out the list of spells:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spells

Yum!

Definitely going Mage class, probably Blood Mage.

very nice.

for some reason, the Spell of Mortality description made me laugh

"The caster curses a target with the inevitability of true death. While cursed, it cannot heal or regenerate health and takes continuous spirit damage.”

So instead of hitting a guy with a sword to kill them right away or engulfing them in flames, I will curse them with the inevitability of death… um, someday.

it’s like cursing someone with old age.

Darkman M

A bit off topic but i would like to know if getting a HD 4890 over a HD 4870 worth the extra cash? Is a 600 watt powersupply efficient enough for those cards not willing to upgrade my Power supply right now.

nubbe

Darkman M said:
A bit off topic but i would like to know if getting a HD 4890 over a HD 4870 worth the extra cash? Is a 600 watt powersupply efficient enough for those cards not willing to upgrade my Power supply right now.
600W is more than enough if it is a quality PSU
You can run 4890x2 with a good overhead

Darkman M said:
PC hardware questions need to go here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346008

And i am pretty sure people will tell you that it is not worth the cash. Considering that the new line of video cards from ATI are available for purchase.

fallout

Durante said:
Personally, when it comes to PC graphics, I've always cared more about having the ability to tweak them to how I want. It's more about choice than overall performance. That said, I can understand that it's nice knowing roughly what your machine can do at "default" settings.

Ploid 3.0

nelsonroyale said:
PS3 version or 360...?

This game is made for pc and will only need a moderate system... Graphics don't look amazing on any system though.

360, PS3 is having framerate problems.

With the way this game looks, I can't see how they managed to have framerate problems. It must be doing nuclear physics in the background.

Durante

Ploid 3.0 said:
With the way this game looks, I can't see how they managed to have framerate problems. It must be doing nuclear physics in the background.
Well, I assume they worked on it for 3 or so years under the assumption that it would only be on PC.

sendu

Neo Member
Tony Redgrave said:
Guys, I need your advice here, the game comes out this Friday and while my computer specs seem to be the recommended I would like to hear your opinion.

Here's the info on my PC:

Intel Core Duo CPU @2.66 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Yes:

Recommended specs mean you can play highest detail on high resolution (like 1920x1080)

Recommended specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
RAM: 2 GB (XP) or 3 GB (Windows Vista/Windows 7)
NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater

Not quite sure how a GT compares to a GTS, but you'll have no problems maxing out this game at your resolution.

NewLib

Banned
I think one of the coolest things they did with this game is bring back "You must gather your party before venturing forth...".

Sceren

Neo Member
So if I own both a PS3 and a 360 can anyone give me a solid confirm/deny on switching my PS3 pre-order to 360? I am reluctant to play anything not exclusive on my 360 as it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Is(are) the frame-rate/textures really that bad?

GDJustin said:
Hmm... I typically play a mage in RPGs when given the choice, but Bard seems pretty ace, as well.

Further complicating things is that all four Mage classes don't appeal to me, for different reasons. No Arcane Warrior because I don't want to be Melee focused. No spirit healer because I want to be more offensive than defensive. Shapeshifter could be cool, but I'd like to focus on spellcasting.

That just leaves Blood Mage, but I want to be good, not evil. Is it possible to be a good-aligned blood mage?
They aren't classes, they are just specializations. You are still a mage, I'm pretty sure you can get by just fine never putting a point into any special.

sendu

Neo Member
GDJustin said:
That just leaves Blood Mage, but I want to be good, not evil. Is it possible to be a good-aligned blood mage?

There's no alignment in this game. If you can figure out the role-play of a good person that knows blood magic, go for it!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sceren said:
So if I own both a PS3 and a 360 can anyone give me a solid confirm/deny on switching my PS3 pre-order to 360? I am reluctant to play anything not exclusive on my 360 as it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

I have switched from PS3 to 360 for this game based on this video: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/spider-cave-dragon-age/58394 (Especially at 1:50) and due to the testimonial from AlphaSnake.

If it already does the above in a dungeon with 3 objects (2 in party + 1 enemy) on the screen, I doubt it's getting better later plus the outdoor scenarios.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sceren said:

So, the 360 version is considered the better port? After hearing some decent impressions, I went with the PS3 version but maybe I can still switch my preorder. I like that my PS3 doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner and I have more HDD space but if it is noticeably worse I should switch over. But then again, if its just a few frames slower it's not a big deal to me.

Whoa, I thought I was reading my own post. Anyways, after reading through the thread it seems like the biggest problem with the PS3 is an unstable framerate, unless there is actual game breaking bugs yet to be found, I think that the PS3 version will be fine. If I can't switch my preorder at this point, I'll probably still enjoy the game.

CAW

Steam's pre-loading is up. :D

Decent speeds too:

2nrijap.jpg

calder

CAW said:
Steam's pre-loading is up. :D
Yep, just started it here a few minutes ago, just hit 2%. :D Not going terribly fast, a bit under 1m/sec but plenty of time to get it done before Tuesday. Still can't tell how big the package is, I've heard 8G to 16 floated around.

Snuggler said:
Whoa, I thought I was reading my own post. Anyways, after reading through the thread it seems like the biggest problem with the PS3 is an unstable framerate, unless there is actual game breaking bugs yet to be found, I think that the PS3 version will be fine. If I can't switch my preorder at this point, I'll probably still enjoy the game.

I'm going on monday to switch my pre-order to the 360 version. I wouldn't see why you couldn't switch pre-orders even the day before, and if they won't let me I'll just exchange an unopened copy of the PS3 version for the 360 one on tuesday.

Again though, it would be mind blowing if they deny you a switch.

Erudite

2mewr5h.jpg

This is going to take awhile :lol... =(
Looks like I'll have to find a single-player game to keep my occupied for the rest of the day.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
calder said:
Yep, just started it here a few minutes ago, just hit 2%. :D Not going terribly fast, a bit under 1m/sec but plenty of time to get it done before Tuesday. Still can't tell how big the package is, I've heard 8G to 16 floated around.

Same, Im averaging around 1-1.3MB/s. Im so pumped but really it doesnt matter cause I still have to wait another 50 hours until I am actually allowed to play the game.

Also does anyone know when we can expect to get the DLC codes from EA for the DDE?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
FuttBuck said:
I'm going on monday to switch my pre-order to the 360 version. I wouldn't see why you couldn't switch pre-orders even the day before, and if they won't let me I'll just exchange an unopened copy of the PS3 version for the 360 one on tuesday.

Again though, it would be mind blowing if they deny you a switch.

The slaves at my local Gamestop have been hyping this game up as a big seller, some have even claimed that it'll sell out due to the high demand for it. They're probably full of shit, though, but I might have trouble switching if I go to the midnight launch. I want the superior version, but at the same time I'd like to support Bioware's first attempt on the PS3, they're one of my favorite developers so I want to do what I can to encourage them to stick with the system. But then again, I shouldn't support mediocre ports.

Snuggler said:
The slaves at my local Gamestop have been hyping this game up as a big seller, some have even claimed that it'll sell out due to the high demand for it. They're probably full of shit, though, but I might have trouble switching if I go to the midnight launch. I want the superior version, but at the same time I'd like to support Bioware's first attempt on the PS3, they're one of my favorite developers so I want to do what I can to encourage them to stick with the system. But then again, I shouldn't support mediocre ports.

Yea, I really would have preferred it on the PS3 but that's just shameful and poor on their part. Hopefully no problems arise for me on Monday.

Top Bottom