• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

So, Impulse has Origins and Awakenings in a Bundle for $47.99 this weekend (normally $79.99).

Is there any reason NOT to go for this? Any reason the Steam/EA digital/retail versions should be gotten instead? Because if not, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this deal.

Blast Processing said:
So, Impulse has Origins and Awakenings in a Bundle for $47.99 this weekend (normally $79.99).

Is there any reason NOT to go for this? Any reason the Steam/EA digital/retail versions should be gotten instead? Because if not, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this deal.

Thats an awesome deal, do it.

jiien

Hey, I don't know if anyone has confirmed this previously, but I just bought the PS3 version of this game new, for the hell of it. Though the two codes they give you for DLC content, one for The Stone Prisoner and the other for the Blood something Armor are supposedly expired as of April 30, 2010 on the piece of paper, they still work. Or they did for me. Just got the content right now. WOO.

Anyway, just a heads up for people out there.

Blast Processing said:

Yes, you have my laptop. :lol

Read the whole OP but didn't find much useful info.

Just borrowed this game from my Bro-in-law, because he said he lost interest in the game.

Are there any tips I need when I start playing? I know little to nothing about this game.

Are there classes? which one is best?

Patryn

Major Williams said:

Just borrowed this game from my Bro-in-law, because he said he lost interest in the game.

Are there any tips I need when I start playing? I know little to nothing about this game.

There are classes, but picking which class and race you want will directly affect the beginning of the game and the story a little bit as well.

You can either be a Warrior, Rogue or Mage. Each class also has four specializations, of which you can pick two.

If you want to be able to open locked chests and don't want to be constantly tripping traps, then you'll need a rogue in your party. If you make them your main, you just have to realize that they're generally not built to tank, so until the later stages of the game you won't really be able to run up and take out a squad of darkspawn alone. For rogues, pick either an archer (which is kind of broken in a bad way in the game) or a dual wielder. Ignore the tree you don't pick completely, but definitely invest points into the main rogue tree. Also know that there's a skill later on that allows a rogue to substitute cunning for strength in damage rolls.

Certain mage builds are considered the most powerful in the game (Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer). I'd argue that mage has the widest variety of builds available. If you want a healer to sit back to heal and buff your party, you can do that. If you want a classic damage dealing wizard, you can do that. If you plan carefully, you can even make a mage a good tank. Unless you're making a tank, you have a lot more choice and can mix and match from the various trees. Just know that incapacitating enemies is one of the strongest tactics in the game, so Crushing Prison and Mass Paralysis are REALLY useful.

Again, unless you want to solely rely on potions (which is possible), then you'll want a mage with some healing abilities in your party. Up to you if you want that to be your main or not.

If you go warrior, you're going to be a tank. They're designed to take damage and inflict it. So you don't really have the flexibility of the other classes. Pick to either wield two-handed weapons, dual wield or sword and shield, and, as with a rogue, ignore the trees you don't pick. Go warrior if you really just want to wade in and kick ass without over-thinking things too much.

Keep in mind that you also have full control over the growth of your other party members (including picking an additional specialization for all but two of them), but there are a few sections in which you're restricted to your main character alone, so you'll want to make sure that they're not totally helpless in a fight.

Be aware that you can drop and raise difficulty whenever you want, so if a fight is too hard and you're getting too frustrated, drop the diff for that fight, then raise it back up.

In terms of potions and stuff, I personally advise having someone max out herbalism and then keeping a healthy stock of flasks, elfroot and lyrium dust to make more potions. I don't think any shopkeeper sells an infinite amount of potions, but the Dalish sell infinite elfroot, the Tower sells infinite lyrium dust, and your camp sells infinite flasks.

Picking the skill Tactics for your main is completely useless unless you don't actively control them. In fact, for the most part Tactics is just a useless skill for everyone, as you gain additional tactics slots just by leveling up, and there are much more useful skills and not a lot of skill points.

Play around with characters' tactics. Tanks especially benefit by adding a tactic to have them heal when they're low on health.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Man, this game is unexpectedly good. Just started playing and I'm completely hooked already.

I'm playing as a mage, invested a lot of points into willpower, cunning and magic. In what should I invest more? I like to talk myself through tough situations, so my be I should invest in cunning? Don't know yet.

Q8D3vil

so i got awakening today for pc. :D
i have the DA limited edition that came with dragon armor and the golem character ( which i didn't do because of the stupid problems with the game ).

anyway, i finished DA in medium which was very hard and satisfying ( for me at least ) and i heard awakening is way too easy so do you recommend playing it hard from the begining ( gonna start from scratch with awakening origin ).

subversus

I want my character to fight faster because he often gets overwhelmed by enemies if there are more than two of them. In what stat should I invest more? I'm playing as a mage.

Cep

Banned
subversus said:
I want my character to fight faster because he often gets overwhelmed by enemies if there are more than two of them. In what stat should I invest more? I'm playing as a mage.

I am not sure what you mean by 'faster.'

Also depends on what you want your other mages to do (if you have any).

I still don't understand what the fuck people don't like about the Fade. Is this one of those things that doesn't correspond well between PC/console? I played it on 360 and thought the Fade was gorgeous and well constructed. It felt incredibly straight forward, and the chaotic and open environments welcome compared to how cramp most coorridoors in the game felt.

Cep

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I still don't understand what the fuck people don't like about the Fade. Is this one of those things that doesn't correspond well between PC/console? I played it on 360 and thought the Fade was gorgeous and well constructed. It felt incredibly straight forward, and the chaotic and open environments welcome compared to how cramp most coorridoors in the game felt.

I agree 100%, it was hands down the best designed level in the entire game.

And I played it on PC, so...

Fredescu

Son of Godzilla said:
I still don't understand what the fuck people don't like about the Fade. Is this one of those things that doesn't correspond well between PC/console?
No, I played it on PC and I agree with you. The only thing I can sorta understand is people being annoyed at the visual effects. The structure was cool and the "loot" was interesting. Definitely one of the better levels in the game.

subversus

Cep said:
I am not sure what you mean by 'faster.'

Also depends on what you want your other mages to do (if you have any).

When a spider for example attacks me and the second one attack me from behind my character often just stands there taking damage, even if I click on the spider. His equpped with a staff, so he's able to fight.

or may be it's just a cooldown of the magic?? Does the staff has it's own cooldown?

freddy

Banned
Major Williams said:

My tip is to always stop in at the local tavern in any town you encounter. This goes for all games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fredescu said:
No, I played it on PC and I agree with you. The only thing I can sorta understand is people being annoyed at the visual effects. The structure was cool and the "loot" was interesting. Definitely one of the better levels in the game.

I think it's the backtracking between the various hubs. It just makes the section take longer than you might want it to be.

Son of Godzilla said:

Playing in the Fade on the 360 gave me a headache. The screen filter they put over the entire segment was just terrible.

I recently went through the Fade for the third time and, while I think I can see what they were going for, the entire area was just a missed opportunity in my eyes.

The Fade is suppose to be this crazy, otherworldly dimension, but the only areas unique to the fade are these ugly ass tiny islands with statues on them.
The areas that use the real world assets are a cool idea, but the designers idea of making it seem otherworldly is to remove the ceiling and have floating bookcases. SPOOOOOKY!

You know, on second thought, maybe the headache-inducing filter was meant to have me experience the same mental fatigue that my character was undoubtedly going through whilst trapped in the Fade!
If so, bravo Bioware, bravo.

Oh well, maybe if Bioware bumps up the graphics engine for "Dragon Age: Origins 2: Ever Originaller" we will be able to see some really trippy Fade stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
did they ever fix the issue in the pc awakenings where it would just crash during that dragon fight? want to go back and play but last time i tried like a month ago it was still crashing and it seemed to be a fairly widespread issue without an easy fix

Rufus

You have to have the 1.03 patch installed to play Awakenings. It's part of the installation process, actually, if you haven't applied it yourself already.

AstroLad said:
did they ever fix the issue in the pc awakenings where it would just crash during that dragon fight? want to go back and play but last time i tried like a month ago it was still crashing and it seemed to be a fairly widespread issue without an easy fix
I eventually passed that fight after the 10th reload. Wish on a star and try again?

I had the same problem during the fight with
the Architect
. Destroyed any kind of tension or immersion. And then the ending kind of just happened, fitting the mood I was in at that point.

Patryn said:
There are classes, but picking which class and race you want will directly affect the beginning of the game and the story a little bit as well.

You can either be a Warrior, Rogue or Mage. Each class also has four specializations, of which you can pick two.

If you want to be able to open locked chests and don't want to be constantly tripping traps, then you'll need a rogue in your party. If you make them your main, you just have to realize that they're generally not built to tank, so until the later stages of the game you won't really be able to run up and take out a squad of darkspawn alone. For rogues, pick either an archer (which is kind of broken in a bad way in the game) or a dual wielder. Ignore the tree you don't pick completely, but definitely invest points into the main rogue tree. Also know that there's a skill later on that allows a rogue to substitute cunning for strength in damage rolls.

Certain mage builds are considered the most powerful in the game (Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer). I'd argue that mage has the widest variety of builds available. If you want a healer to sit back to heal and buff your party, you can do that. If you want a classic damage dealing wizard, you can do that. If you plan carefully, you can even make a mage a good tank. Unless you're making a tank, you have a lot more choice and can mix and match from the various trees. Just know that incapacitating enemies is one of the strongest tactics in the game, so Crushing Prison and Mass Paralysis are REALLY useful.

Again, unless you want to solely rely on potions (which is possible), then you'll want a mage with some healing abilities in your party. Up to you if you want that to be your main or not.

If you go warrior, you're going to be a tank. They're designed to take damage and inflict it. So you don't really have the flexibility of the other classes. Pick to either wield two-handed weapons, dual wield or sword and shield, and, as with a rogue, ignore the trees you don't pick. Go warrior if you really just want to wade in and kick ass without over-thinking things too much.

Keep in mind that you also have full control over the growth of your other party members (including picking an additional specialization for all but two of them), but there are a few sections in which you're restricted to your main character alone, so you'll want to make sure that they're not totally helpless in a fight.

Be aware that you can drop and raise difficulty whenever you want, so if a fight is too hard and you're getting too frustrated, drop the diff for that fight, then raise it back up.

In terms of potions and stuff, I personally advise having someone max out herbalism and then keeping a healthy stock of flasks, elfroot and lyrium dust to make more potions. I don't think any shopkeeper sells an infinite amount of potions, but the Dalish sell infinite elfroot, the Tower sells infinite lyrium dust, and your camp sells infinite flasks.

Picking the skill Tactics for your main is completely useless unless you don't actively control them. In fact, for the most part Tactics is just a useless skill for everyone, as you gain additional tactics slots just by leveling up, and there are much more useful skills and not a lot of skill points.

Play around with characters' tactics. Tanks especially benefit by adding a tactic to have them heal when they're low on health.

Thanks Patryn and Freddy. I'm probably gonna throw the game in tonight. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Patryn

subversus said:
When a spider for example attacks me and the second one attack me from behind my character often just stands there taking damage, even if I click on the spider. His equpped with a staff, so he's able to fight.

or may be it's just a cooldown of the magic?? Does the staff has it's own cooldown?

It's the cooldown. The mage will never be able to quickly attack with a staff (it's considered a slow weapon).

The problem is that as hardcore a game as DA is, Bioware is still hiding a WEALTH of information that was available in a game such as Baldur's Gate 2. For instance, various weapon speeds. Not to mention the fact that while it's obvious that it's operating on a round structure like D&D, they've hidden (as far as I can see) the length of rounds, etc, etc.

None of which matters in this case. If you're a mage, why are the enemies already up on you? Enemies are attracted to heavier armor, and thus you should have a warrior or a rogue there to grab enemies' attention. If the armor is not enough, the Warrior has several skills to grab the enemy's attention.

There's a reason why staffs were given long-range attacks. If you're toe-to-toe with an enemy, disable with paralysis or cone of cold or push them back with something like mind blast and get the hell out of the way.

This doesn't apply if you're an arcane warrior, btw.

firehawk12 said:
I think it's the backtracking between the various hubs. It just makes the section take longer than you might want it to be.

I'm also a fan of the Fade, and I think you're mostly correct. I mean, until you figure the section out, you'll probably be going to certain sections three or four times to finish it out.

I also think it's also about it being a long section in which you don't have access to your party, and you gain no new equipment. The stat bonuses don't help, because I think it entices people to hunt through everything and not rush through the section or lose a major bonus, so someone who isn't necessarily fond of the section is spending more time than they should on it.

Basically, people feel like it overstays its welcome.

chapel

Banned
Didn't feel like scanning the thread, but is there a mac release for Awakenings yet?

I am considering getting the PC version and using the emulation stuff from Origins around it, but I am not sure if that would work well enough.

Dyno

I finally have gotten around to this game.

I made a female human wizard (who turned out surprisingly attractive.) I've done two or three quests. This game is a strange one for me. I'm finding it to be one of the least immersive and emotional games in memory but intellectually it the exact opposite. The dialogue options have made me go 'whoa' and two of the quests completed in ways that really made my jaw drop. There have been some very unexpected twists that I brought on myself due to my choices. Combat seems to be a lot of 'stand and deliver' until your enemy dies, not a lot of strategy - but again I've just started. I set up some 'combat tactics' (the gambits) but I haven't seen one go off yet. Also, it's a massive loot whoring game which is cool because I haven't played one since the Diablo days.

What's the possible length of this game, both burning through and trying to do most everything?

subversus

How can I make my chosen character attack even when I selected him? He just stands there doing nothing in the fight. He doesn't even always attack if I order him to attack. I need to bring him to the enemy, only then he starts giving a shit about what's going on.

A fantastic game btw

Zeliard

I've been looking to get back into this recently. Haven't played DA since the first couple months after it came out. What mods do you guys recommend for the PC version at this stage?

subversus

Well, I figured out that the character doesn't use AI when you controll him. It's better to control a warrior then.

Infinity

Rufus said:
I eventually passed that fight after the 10th reload. Wish on a star and try again?

I had the same problem during the fight with
the Architect
. Destroyed any kind of tension or immersion. And then the ending kind of just happened, fitting the mood I was in at that point.

Same. My game crashed
during my encounter with The Architect
and then again
when I fought The Mother

Things caught me by surprise, and before I knew it, the game was over. I wasn't able to finish all my side quests so I guess I could go back and reload a save game. But eh.

Good expansion nonetheless.

Dyno

I've brought my character to Level 8. Thus far when it comes to combat and dungeon crawling you can basically play this game on auto-pilot. They mention strategy quite a bit, as if it is evident in the game but really most fights are just ten people mobbed together, milling about and doing damage to each other. I rather just get through them as quickly as possible.

Evilore's OP was spot on with the 'degenerative loot whoring' comments. :D I'll admit to being hooked though. I'm enjoying the almost constant swaping of equipment.

Most of the plotlines are filled with hackjobs and all-round fucking stupidity. I lit a signal fire in a scene straight from The Two Towers and then watched as a much needed army left the battle at a crucial time, a scene straight from Braveheart. Much like Grand Theft Auto, it seems that being a AAA RPG writer simply means theft.

Grey Wardens are quite shitty. They have a 'Rite of Conscription' which means they can pull anyone they like out of their life to serve them. Only becoming a Grey Warden means drinking a poison which seems to kill indescriminately. Also if you refuse to drink the poison they will knife you in the belly. I imagine there are legions of victims who are destined to be fucked over should they catch a Grey Warden's eye. Meanwhile they need more people to fight the Darkspawn. It's a retarded idea from beginning to end.

It's the same with the wizards and the whole Tranquil bit. The same with goading corruption by sending apprentices into the Fade. The so-called Apostates are the only mages who make any sense. If you're intelligent and prone to book-learning why would you put up with any of this insane nonsense? Obviously you don't need to go through with that shit in order to learn magic.

All in all I don't think the civilization deserves to survive because all of their venerable institutions seem to excell only in canabalizing each other. I started off as a good character but now I kind of want to be a real dick and ensure the Darkspawn take over. At least they're unified and fight together.

And speaking of which, the Darkspawn? Fuck off, they're orcs. If you're going to get sued for using the name orc then just make up a new creature, not a lame new name. You are creatively bankrupt Bioware. Your vanilla fantasy epic is nothing but thin fucking gruel.

I'll keep playing but only because there is nothing else out there right now. That and loot.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Dyno said:
I've brought my character to Level 8. Thus far when it comes to combat and dungeon crawling you can basically play this game on auto-pilot. They mention strategy quite a bit, as if it is evident in the game but really most fights are just ten people mobbed together, milling about and doing damage to each other. I rather just get through them as quickly as possible.

Evilore's OP was spot on with the 'degenerative loot whoring' comments. :D I'll admit to being hooked though. I'm enjoying the almost constant swaping of equipment.

Most of the plotlines are filled with hackjobs and all-round fucking stupidity. I lit a signal fire in a scene straight from The Two Towers and then watched as a much needed army left the battle at a crucial time, a scene straight from Braveheart. Much like Grand Theft Auto, it seems that being a AAA RPG writer simply means theft.

Grey Wardens are quite shitty. They have a 'Rite of Conscription' which means they can pull anyone they like out of their life to serve them. Only becoming a Grey Warden means drinking a poison which seems to kill indescriminately. Also if you refuse to drink the poison they will knife you in the belly. I imagine there are legions of victims who are destined to be fucked over should they catch a Grey Warden's eye. Meanwhile they need more people to fight the Darkspawn. It's a retarded idea from beginning to end.

It's the same with the wizards and the whole Tranquil bit. The same with goading corruption by sending apprentices into the Fade. The so-called Apostates are the only mages who make any sense. If you're intelligent and prone to book-learning why would you put up with any of this insane nonsense? Obviously you don't need to go through with that shit in order to learn magic.

All in all I don't think the civilization deserves to survive because all of their venerable institutions seem to excell only in canabalizing each other. I started off as a good character but now I kind of want to be a real dick and ensure the Darkspawn take over. At least their unified and fight together.

And speaking of which, the Darkspawn? Fuck off, they're orcs. If you're going to get sued for using the name orc then just make up a new creature, not a lame new name. You are creatively bankrupt Bioware. Your vanilla fantasy epic is nothing but thin fucking gruel.

I'll keep playing but only because there is nothing else out there right now. That and loot.

Everything you said is what made Dragon Age's story great. Nothing in Fereldan is perfect, nothing is exactly the way it should be. Also, if you're going to call it vanilla, then don't complain about everything not working in the world the way you think it should. That would be the true definition of vanilla.

They also go through great lengths to explain why the Tranquils have to exist. Think about it. You're a regular dude in that world. Would you want some mage who couldn't handle his magic living in your town, knowing that at any second he could become possessed by a demon and basically become unstoppable? Hell no. And some of your other points I could explain to you, but the game will do that later.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Damn thats a pretty harsh assessment, but I cant really disagree with any of your complaints about the organizations or its derivativeness. What about the characters?

Dyno

HK-47 said:
Damn thats a pretty harsh assessment, but I cant really disagree with any of your complaints about the organizations or its derivativeness. What about the characters?

The characters are good overall. I rather like Alistair's banter. Morrigan's a right tiring cunt so I banished her to the peanut gallery as soon as I found a replacement. The rogue girl who starts dressed as a priest (Lilanne?) is okay but she looks and sounds like my character so I might swap her soon. I left that insane guy in his cage, I think he belongs there.

I named my dog Thyroid. I mean look at him! That breed has a problem and it looks glandular to me.

Cep

Banned
Dyno said:
The characters are good overall. I rather like Alistair's banter. Morrigan's a right tiring cunt so I banished her to the peanut gallery as soon as I found a replacement. The rogue girl who starts dressed as a priest (Lilanne?) is okay but she looks and sounds like my character so I might swap her soon. I left that insane guy in his cage, I think he belongs there.

I named my dog Thyroid. I mean look at him! That breed has a problem and it looks glandular to me.

I also find it interesting that you cite the loot as being good.

Only Warriors would ever say that, as the loot in the game is absolutely garbage.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cep said:

Only Warriors would ever say that, as the loot in the game is absolutely garbage.

Yeah well loot in general is just a big skinner box so fuck that. I just dont like the crummy balance to it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
HK-47 said:
Yeah well loot in general is just a big skinner box so fuck that. I just dont like the crummy balance to it.

I just hated that all my mages caps looked like leftovers from the Dumb & Dumber set.

Edgeward

Or Coneheads. Also the robes are gaudy trash. I needed a portable vendor to sell all the useless loot I kept getting yet efused to dump and instead trek all the way back to the nearest village store. =(

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:

That is not the point.

If you are going to attempt something, do it right or not at all.

And yeah, the balance was pretty shitty (Stupid Warriors).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
WanderingWind said:
I just hated that all my mages caps looked like leftovers from the Dumb & Dumber set.

Well your primary mage look like she is the set centerpiece so I'm not horribly surprised.

I refused putting the cowls on my mage characters just on principle, they were that ugly.

Just finished playing through Awakenings last week. I thought it was a solid expansion, I dug the quests and the overall story, even if there was 0 challenge on nightmare and the characters in general were lacking compared to Origins.

Just curious, ending spoilers
did anyone actually side with the Architect at the end? I offed him without a second thought.

Patryn

Cep said:

Yeah, I had the best sword in the game by about the 1/3 point.

If you're playing for loot in this game, you're going to lose interest by the halfway point, by which point you should have about 90 percent of your endgame equipment. It's not a loot game at all, really.

Top Bottom