• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Edgeward

Sir Garbageman said:
I refused putting the cowls on my mage characters just on principle, they were that ugly.

Just finished playing through Awakenings last week. I thought it was a solid expansion, I dug the quests and the overall story, even if there was 0 challenge on nightmare and the characters in general were lacking compared to Origins.

Just curious, ending spoilers
did anyone actually side with the Architect at the end? I offed him without a second thought.

I did, which was mostly influenced by my active party's want to do so as well. Seemed like the more attractive solution as I would then skip an extra battle, and not cause a party member to turn on me.

Edgeward said:
I did, which was mostly influenced by my active party's want to do so as well. Seemed like the more attractive solution as I would then skip an extra battle, and not cause a party member to turn on me.

That's funny, it was the exact opposite for my party. I had
Justice and Sigrun
and they were both pretty adamant about not siding with him. Was probably the toughest fight in the game where I actually had to use a little strategy, which was a pleasant surprise.

Edgeward

Oh see, I had
Valena, Oghren and Nathaniel. Val wanted to side with him because of his sister. Nathaniel wanted a peacful resolution, I think. And Oghren seemed okay with whatever so it seemed like the right choice at the time. The ending seems to reflect that as well, since he takes darkspawn into the caves and they never disturbed the lands again or a really long time. IIRC

Dyno

Cep said:

I also find it interesting that you cite the loot as being good.

Only Warriors would ever say that, as the loot in the game is absolutely garbage.

The loot has kept my interest. I haven't played a game with loot for a long time.

We'll see though.

verbatimo

There are some things what I don't like in Dragon Age.

Example why there are no day-night cycle. Even Baldur's Gate 1 have that.
NPC just stay and wait in one place. Game world feel so barren. I hoped that the darkspawn threat would be more dangerous and players actions would really affact the whole situation. Now there is no rush. Time only moves when plot-missions have been completed and even then it doesn't make a difference.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
That's the best RPG I've played in months. I liked it even more than ME2. The Fade was just awesome, I didn't expected such a nice change of pace. Reminded me of Max Payne's fever dreams.

Arol

I saw the thread and thought there was news of a new expansion or DLC.

Has Bioware stated if there are going to release more expansions or additional DLC? Or is it basically waiting until next year for something else. I liked Awakenings, I just felt a bit underwhelmed by it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
WHAT THE FUCK

I've encontered a game-breaking bug. I can't find an entrance to Jarvia's hideout because
nobody attacks me! I talked to the Alimair and Nadezda, still no luck. There were the band attacking on the first visit to the Dust town, but there was no dialogue. What the hell?
Has anybody encountered such BS?

verbatimo said:
There are some things what I don't like in Dragon Age.

Example why there are no day-night cycle. Even Baldur's Gate 1 have that.
NPC just stay and wait in one place. Game world feel so barren. I hoped that the darkspawn threat would be more dangerous and players actions would really affact the whole situation. Now there is no rush. Time only moves when plot-missions have been completed and even then it doesn't make a difference.

Yea have to agree, also the conversations you have are very static which also happens in Mass Effect most of the time.

Generally everyone stands around in the world and during conversations people are very stiff and generally only move their forearms with occassional shrugs. Loghaine was one of the only interesting characters as he was often moving around during the conversations and not just standing stiff :lol

Dyno

The menu system is one of the better ones in RPGs. The whole 'junk' and 'sell your junk' is great for organization and time sharing. The comparison function is also really handy.

Did the series of quests that bring you back into The Fade. It was decent overall.
I got to kill most of the circle mages! Yay! Plus I got that mother to kill her possessed son. Everyone was moping about wish we could have done more but I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. Impactful choices is what it's all about in a RPG.

Patryn

subversus said:
Does anybody know how to stop party members from running into earthquake or inferno?

Telling them to hold before casting it, and releasing them when it's done?

On the downside, I don't think they attack when they're holding, but at least they don't move.

Patryn said:
On the downside, I don't think they attack when they're holding, but at least they don't move.

If you tell your party to hold, you can still issue them commands iirc. Just have to manually give orders to everyone.

Cep

Banned
Patryn said:
Telling them to hold before casting it, and releasing them when it's done?

I think they do attack while holding, they just do not move.

Dyno

Argh! When or where can you switch your party members? I'm stuck with a useless douche and the option is blacked out for me. I'm just hanging in a city.

Edit: found the campsite on the world map. Carry ON!

Is there any way to tell the monetary value of an item (weapons, armor) in your inventory without going to a merchant? It would make it a lot easier to decide which items to destroy when you are overloaded and far from a shop, like down in the Deep Roads.

Lucky Forward said:
Is there any way to tell the monetary value of an item (weapons, armor) in your inventory without going to a merchant? It would make it a lot easier to decide which items to destroy when you are overloaded and far from a shop, like down in the Deep Roads.

Can look online. Though for weapons and armor, pretty much just keep the stuff made of higher quality material .

ntropy

Lucky Forward said:
there is a shop in the Deep Roads.

Anyone else find (on the PC) the game starts getting insanely sluggish and choppy, and long-ass load times, after about 30 minutes of play ?

Looking around on forums, people seem to think the 1.03 patch brung a memory leak with it. Royal pain in the arse :(

Nif

Ogs said:
Anyone else find (on the PC) the game starts getting insanely sluggish and choppy, and long-ass load times, after about 30 minutes of play ?

Looking around on forums, people seem to think the 1.03 patch brung a memory leak with it. Royal pain in the arse :(

I'd been having that problem since day 1. =\

leng jai

So did they ever fix the PS3 version's framerate? I bought this ages ago but didn't really give it a fair go because the framerate was so janky. It doesn't help that the game looks like ass really, so it should be running at 60fps with no issues...

Gattsu25

Banned
leng jai said:
So did they ever fix the PS3 version's framerate? I bought this ages ago but didn't really give it a fair go because it the framerate was so janky. It doesn't help that the game looks like ass really, so it should be running at 60fps with no issues...
The 360 version struggles very badly with 30fps. I have not seen the PS3 version so I don't know how it compares

freddy

Banned
Ogs said:
Looking at the task manager when the game starts getting heavily chugged, i notice the game uses 100% of my CPU. That cant be right can it ?
The game has problems with certain setups and your definitely not alone. My old AMD quad core would slow down every hour or so taking up to 15 seconds on load screens sometimes and almost 100 percent cpu usage but the game ran fine on my friends pentium 4. Bioware is busy with horse armour and can't help you with a patch.

Edit: you're*

freddy said:
The game has problems with certain setups and your definitely not alone. My old AMD quad core would slow down every hour or so taking up to 15 seconds on load screens sometimes and almost 100 percent cpu usage but the game ran fine on my friends pentium 4. Bioware is busy with horse armour and can't help you with a patch.

On my first completion, when its doing all the loading at the end, i was literally waiting minutes before anything would happen (i even strangely saw a brief moment after
killing the archdemon, where my party had gone back down the stairs of the tower, and Alistair was saying "Weve really done it ?!", or something like that, then it loaded up into the movie, then the hall
).

Apparently theres another patch coming out, but with no mention of this chugathon :(

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
leng jai said:
So did they ever fix the PS3 version's framerate? I bought this ages ago but didn't really give it a fair go because the framerate was so janky. It doesn't help that the game looks like ass really, so it should be running at 60fps with no issues...

Overall no version is good. The PC version is basicly unplayable because these damned patches keep breaking the game. I'm just looking forward to the 1.04 patch that will kill my PC and fry my motherboard. The PS3 version is kind of nice. While the framerate isn't good, it's not in the "bad" regions and still makes the game far more playable than "broken".

kinoki said:
Overall no version is good. The PC version is basicly unplayable because these damned patches keep breaking the game. I'm just looking forward to the 1.04 patch that will kill my PC and fry my motherboard. The PS3 version is kind of nice. While the framerate isn't good, it's not in the "bad" regions and still makes the game far more playable than "broken".

so what's the consensus? I just got the PS3 version but not too thrilled with the framerate. I'll have a new PC soon. thoughts?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kinoki said:

I have it for the PC. Never had a single problem, outside of the well-documented slow loading after a couple of hours of playtime.

kai3345

Banned
Starting a new game as a Dalish Elf Ranger.

I hate how the Dalish, who have some of the most interesting lore and backstory in the game, get probably the worst Origin.

Wallach

GullyJuice said:
so what's the consensus? I just got the PS3 version but not too thrilled with the framerate. I'll have a new PC soon. thoughts?

I dunno what that guy is talking about, I've had it on PC since release and it's been fine. Engine runs incredibly well, too. Both the console versions are bunk IMO not just because of graphical fidelity but because you lose the ability to zoom your view out. Giving multiple orders during pause is a hell of a lot better than "body swapping" in the console versions to give commands.

Patryn

kai3345 said:
Starting a new game as a Dalish Elf Ranger.

I hate how the Dalish, who have some of the most interesting lore and backstory in the game, get probably the worst Origin.

Oh, I totally agree. My first playthrough was as a Dalish, and afterwards I was wondering why they were pumping up the Origin thing so much when it seemed to matter is the first hour of the game.

Then I played human noble and saw that the other origins actually, you know, tie into the plot and affect the game for the entire stretch. That was reinforced when I played through as a city elf.

kai3345

Banned
Patryn said:
Oh, I totally agree. My first playthrough was as a Dalish, and afterwards I was wondering why they were pumping up the Origin thing so much when it seemed to matter is the first hour of the game.

Then I played human noble and saw that the other origins actually, you know, tie into the plot and affect the game for the entire stretch. That was reinforced when I played through as a city elf.
Oh god yes, City Elf is by far the best one.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
GullyJuice said:
As someone who has played through the PS3 version and then played it on a ~3+ year old PC, the PC version shits all over the PS3 version. The game looks and runs better on my shitty Mac with an ATI X1600 than it ever did on the PS3, the PC version has a ton of mods the console versions will never have access to, and most importantly, the controls are so much better in the PC version than the console versions. The ability to zoom out at will and view the field isometrically and the use of hotkeys/skill bar instead of the shitty wheel makes the game much more enjoyable.

SuperSugar

Neo Member
Wallach said:
Dwarf noble is by far my favorite origin story. Plus dwarves are pretty much awesome. Like ligers, but with beards.

Mine too! I loved this story, and I love my beautiful dwarven princess/Gray Warden.

I was thinking about how much I would love BioWare to make the next Dragon Age game an open world thing, much like Red Dead Redemption. How great would that be? I feel like Dragon Age was missing a lot of exploration potential.

kai3345

Banned
Darr said:
Mine too! I loved this story, and I love my beautiful dwarven princess/Gray Warden.

I was thinking about how much I would love BioWare to make the next Dragon Age game an open world thing, much like Red Dead Redemption. How great would that be? I feel like Dragon Age was missing a lot of exploration potential.
ew no

Keep the open world fantasy for TES. I'll take dungeon crawling over open world (at least for a turn-based/D&D style RPG) any day.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Leliana's Song
Available July 6, 2010.
$7

Assume the role of Leliana, a young bard involved in a criminal ring that deals in political secrets. Accompanying her mentor Marjolaine on a high-risk mission, Leliana soon finds herself entangled in a game of intrigue that she cannot escape with just her beauty, charm, or stealth. The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed.

Features:
Explore Leliana's dangerous past and why she joined the Chantry
Fully voiced cinematic experience brings the characters to life
Unlock a unique reward that transfers into your Awakening and Origins campaign

HadesGigas said:
http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Leliana's Song
Available July 6, 2010.
$7

Assume the role of Leliana, a young bard involved in a criminal ring that deals in political secrets. Accompanying her mentor Marjolaine on a high-risk mission, Leliana soon finds herself entangled in a game of intrigue that she cannot escape with just her beauty, charm, or stealth. The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed.

Features:
Explore Leliana's dangerous past and why she joined the Chantry
Fully voiced cinematic experience brings the characters to life
Unlock a unique reward that transfers into your Awakening and Origins campaign

Sounds fun, really hoping for a Game of the Year edition. :D

Salaadin

Is this game fried on Steam or something? I tried booting it for the first time in months and it said I needed updated PhysX (Im using an ATI card but whatever) so I did that. Now it just wont boot at all. I get the loading circle for half a second and thats it.

I tried deleting the clientblob and that didnt do anything. I also download those C++ packages from Microsoft. Anything else I should try?

Dyno

This game is D&D methadone. It's been good enough to keep going but it really makes me appreciate all that they did with Oblivion in terms of open world and immersive encounters.

I've just started the 'final battle' chapter , my character is Level 19. I've done maybe half of the side quests. Before embarking I went back to kill the High Dragon. I went looking for Flemeth but she ain't around her hut anymore. Were there any must-do side quests or other interesting things to do? Aside from the main quest line what were people's favorite or most useful sidequests?

So, I created a new character this weekend for the Human Noble origin. I made a black dude, and for some reason I thought the game generates family characters based on what you look like, but my family are still all pasty white people and I'm this badass looking black dude. It turned the Human Noble story into the funniest game since Day of the Tentacle.

I guess it was Fallout 3 that generates your fathers appearance based on the character you create.

Dyno

How does the Army Selection function work? I've been in fights where the notice comes up and there is a circle with wings that appears in the top right hand corner of the screen but I don't know how to use it.

Top Bottom