• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

With regards to the army selection iirc all you have to do is click on the appropriate icon and it summons that group to come out and help you. Usually they don't do much damage but will tie up a couple of enemies for you.

As for Leliana's Songs, sounds interesting, curious how long it will take to complete though.

kai3345

Banned
HadesGigas said:
http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Leliana's Song
Available July 6, 2010.
$7

Assume the role of Leliana, a young bard involved in a criminal ring that deals in political secrets. Accompanying her mentor Marjolaine on a high-risk mission, Leliana soon finds herself entangled in a game of intrigue that she cannot escape with just her beauty, charm, or stealth. The only way out of this game is to kill or be killed.

Features:
Explore Leliana's dangerous past and why she joined the Chantry
Fully voiced cinematic experience brings the characters to life
Unlock a unique reward that transfers into your Awakening and Origins campaign
Very cool, they need to do this with Sten too.

Rufus

The thing that irks me about Leliana's Song, besides being about a character I think is insipid, is that it's very likely not going to tell us anything we don't know and 'the only way out of this game is to kill or be killed' sounds like it's going to be 90% combat, which isn't bad, mind you, but it certainly doesn't excite me any more and could mean that it'll be over in an hour, if that. The only way they could make that interesting is if you didn't have a full party, maybe two people at max, to deal with whatever they throw at you. (No stealth mechanics, please, DA isn't built for that...)

Sten, on the other hand, could be interesting, but I would want to see what happened to him after the Archdemon's death, since you might already know why he killed the family by being best buddies with him in the main game.

I don't expect much from Bioware DLC at this point. The Overlord DLC for ME2 and Stone Prisoner for DA were the best two, with the latter just barely qualifying as DLC at all.

thatbox

Banned
I picked this up during the Steam sale, but I'm having nearly as many problems with the bullshit EA account stuff as I did with Mass Effect 2. My EA account is fine, and I can login with it online, but Dragon Age keeps popping up every five minutes with "Unable to connect to Dragon Age servers. Please try again." I know I can just turn it off, but I'd like to get the stat tracking stuff working if possible. I've forwarded the ports Google says I need to forward, but still no luck. Anyone else had this problem?

Never stop, BioWare.

Just started up an Elf Mage and played through the introduction. I actually felt pretty bad after
trying to help my blood mage buddy. I knew it felt wrong and kinda wanted to stop helping him halfway through.

PC guys how is this game running for you? I have a few small hiccups maxing this out at 1680x1050 on an i7-920/5870 system

Arol

I bought it and finished it, kinda hoped it was priced a bit cheaper. Probably the only game I've bought so much DLC for and probably will keep going back for more regardless of its quality or content. I just really enjoyed DAO, so I want a bit more of the world Bioware created.

Not to stray but now to the DLC, I just wanted it to be a bit longer, but it was on par with their other releases. It took me around 1.5 hours to finish it and if you really like DAO I guess you won't mind getting it.

I do wish more things were explained, hence why I wish it was longer. Some kind of timeline would of been awesome and maybe some sort of "epilogue" just to give hints into her joining up with the Warden. Also, I would of hoped that more loot would be transferable or carry over to DAO or DAA. Or more unique items instead of just one. Not to sound ungrateful, but I do wish other unique looking items were available. I guess I kinda wish I could see new surroundings, instead of the ones I've seen over and over again, maybe another expansion pack otherwise I guess its just a matter of waiting for the sequel.

Spoilers about it so be warned:

I do wish the "Game", which is basically a series of quests which give us insight on how Orlesians play tricks on each other, was more interesting or pro-longed, or maybe a day-time setting where you can see the consequences of Orlesian tricks.

Also, I was expecting Leiliana to sing, I was a bit dissapointed about this as well. Minor gripe though haha.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Oh if they are releasing more character's past, I hope they do Sten next, I really liked his character.Otherwise something to do with the Warden wouldn't be too bad.

Oh Yeah I forgot to add, it is a bit buggy/glitchy.

After cutscenes some of my weapons dissapeared and they have to be re-equipped even if you already have them. Also one of my rogue talents kept being "unlearned" even after I invested a point into it, the skill was Coup De Grace. Game isn't long enough for me to care though.

This is YMMV however, I was playing on PS3.

Arol

Basileus777 said:
What is unique item you can transfer over?

Err not sure if people care about the item or w/e but just in case:

Its called, Battledress of the Provocateur, and its a lightweight armor that has some nice stats which vary depending if you are playing LS, DAO, or DAA.

@Arol: Have you picked up the Darkspawn Chronicles DLC? Is it worth it? Also, is the latest DLC better than Return to Ostagar? I loved DA:O and even Awakenings, but for some reason I've been really disappointed in the DLC, especially compared to ME2 DLC. Would you say this DLC is on par or better than Return to Ostagar, which I found to be a waste of money?

GillianSeed79 said:
@Arol: Have you picked up the Darkspawn Chronicles DLC? Is it worth it? Also, is the latest DLC better than Return to Ostagar? I loved DA:O and even Awakenings, but for some reason I've been really disappointed in the DLC, especially compared to ME2 DLC. Would you say this DLC is on par or better than Return to Ostagar, which I found to be a waste of money?

Don't get Darkspawn Chronicles. I found it to be the most buggy and annoying DLC I've ever played.

I started playing Leliana's Song, and I'm not really feeling it. Leliana looks even older than before for some reason, and the new music is really getting on my nerves. :lol

I'll probably force myself through it, only because I love DA:O so much.

Arol

Yeah I have all the dlc and DS wasn't worth it either. I think its because my expectations were a bit high for the dlc in terms of being able to replay it. I haven't played ME but all this dlc is probably a waste of money at least for me since a bar was set high. Ijust really like the game though I wish it would all of been released at once as some kind of package, including future releases Ill probably purchase as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I played through Leliana's Song in one sitting this morning and had a pretty good time. It took me about 2.5 hours to finish and there was a nice mix of story and combat. The reused environments are a bummer, but they do change it up nicely later on. I enjoyed the story even though Leliana never intrigued as much as other cast members had. I did manage to get the achievement to unlock the armor in Origins and Awakenings, but I missed out on another achievement from the first segment of the DLC. I think I know how to get it now though. All in all, I feel pleased with what I paid for, but I would only recommend it to serious Dragon Age fans looking for another fix.

daorigins2010-07-0711-e5ev.jpg

daorigins2010-07-0712-lu86.jpg

daorigins2010-07-0712-g5g3.jpg

daorigins2010-07-0712-766w.jpg

daorigins2010-07-0712-16nn.jpg

GullyJuice said:
PC guys how is this game running for you? I have a few small hiccups maxing this out at 1680x1050 on an i7-920/5870 system

I wouldn't think you would see to any hiccups. I have an i7 930 and a HD 5850 and I'm pretty much locked at 60 fps maxed out at 1920x1080.

Ferrio

Banned
I just finished the witcher, which has given me a WRPG itch, so I was thinking of trying my hand at this game again. Unfortunately I was quite a few hours into it and lost interest the first time, and replaying crap I've already done is detering me from trying again. Anything I can do to spice it up this time (mods, play suggestions etc)?

Ferrio said:
I just finished the witcher, which has given me a WRPG itch, so I was thinking of trying my hand at this game again. Unfortunately I was quite a few hours into it and lost interest the first time, and replaying crap I've already done is detering me from trying again. Anything I can do to spice it up this time (mods, play suggestions etc)?

You could always go with a different origin. I'm not sure how far you played into it but that would changes things up a bit.

Ferrio

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
You could always go with a different origin. I'm not sure how far you played into it but that would changes things up a bit.

Oh ya forgot about that, any mods available for the game? Ones that turn it into Witcher 2?

Angst

I will buy Dragon Age: Origins later today (PS3). Finally time to join the party! :D

Yeah, I know it's better on PC, but to play it on my PC I would have to buy a new video card, a new PSU, a new CPU and a new motherboard...

Are there any DLC I should get from the start or are they all expansion quests? I.e. to be played once the main storyline is completed.

Angst said:
I will buy Dragon Age: Origins later today (PS3). Finally time to join the party! :D

Yeah, I know it's better on PC, but to play it on my PC I would have to buy a new video card, a new PSU, a new CPU and a new motherboard...

Are there any DLC I should get from the start or are they all expansion quests? I.e. to be played once the main storyline is completed.

Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar take place during the course of the game.

Leliana's Song is a prequel.

Darkspawn Chronicles is a crappy alternate reality version of the final battle.

Awakening is the post-ending expansion.

All of them give you new items you can use in the main game.

Radogol

HadesGigas said:

Then there's The Stone Prisoner. I bought the game recently and he wasn't free anymore (the code expired). Recommended?

Radogol said:
Then there's The Stone Prisoner. I bought the game recently and he wasn't free anymore (the code expired). Recommended?

Try the code, it should still work even though it has an expiration date.

If not... well that's the best "dlc" outside of Awakening, but very highly priced.

Angst

HadesGigas said:

All of them give you new items you can use in the main game.
Cool, thanks. Can't wait to get either utterly frustrated or deeply immersed in the Dragon Age world. :D

Dunno if people know, but there is another patch coming for DA (all platforms i think), with these fixes and more to come -

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...g-Dragon-Age-Patch-July-2-2010-3012921-1.html

• Fixed pick-pocketing. Characters were successfully stealing, but not receiving any items.
• It is no longer possible for the player to get blocked during gameplay by pursuing both candidates' quests in the Orzammar plot line.
• Instant +100 approval bugs for Awakening companions have been resolved.
• Anders, Sigrun and Velanna's personal quests will properly activate.
• Fixed an issue that would prevent an imported character from detecting traps.
• Red script will no longer appear in the place of tattoos.
• Power of Blood talent will be usable in Awakening.
• Game saves on Xbox 360 were being corrupted if you sold too many items to the same merchant. Saves will no longer be corrupted if you do this.
• Daggers will now properly assign the dexterity-based damage bonus
• Updated audio drivers to fix a number of audio related crashes.
• Switching between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening were resetting options to default settings.
• Multiple transitions in and out of Fade areas were multiplying the number of visual effects running, slowing down gameplay.
• Resolved a number of memory leaks that were causing crashes and increases load times.
• (Awakening only) Players may now receive notes of appreciation from former love interests.
• (Awakening Only) During the Assault on Amaranthine, a bug would
occasionally make some enemies invincible, which impeded game progress.
This no longer happens.
• (Awakening Only) Masterpiece and paragon
silverite runes are now weapon runes instead of armor runes.
• (Awakening Only) The masterpiece slow rune is now available for purchase
from merchant stores.

Bolded for thank fuck, has been irritating me how much the game plummets performance wise after awhile, hopefully this will sort it out.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Still no Bow fix for console then? hehe Bioware this is nearly Bethesda bad

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got a new laptop a while back (asus G51JX-A1) and bought the pc version during a steam sale. I loved this game on the xbox but it's so much better on the pc. Playing it a 2nd time thru already on the pc, 5th time if you count the xbox.

Can't wait for part 2!

Thinking about jumping back into the game I started in November. All I remember is I had to make a decision to side with a
Stone Dude or an angry Female Dwarf
. Can't remember much of the gameplay elements. All I remember is I was getting my ass kicked and I decided to give the game a rest.

Still, I loved what I had played. This should be interesting.

Ferrio

Banned
So, after finding my old save file (yay for win 7 backing up the previous installation), and installing a butt load of mods I'm liking the game again.

I was able to respec my characters into something that works (before my main character and leilana were too similar, also threw story out the window and made morrigan a healer and not a shifter), and now I trash stuff with a bit of a difficulty here and there. Before I was getting my butt kicked on easy fights. Shouldn't be long until I get it beat.

DoctorWho said:
Finally finished Origins. Which is the first bit of DLC I should play?
Out of the DLC released so far I enjoyed Leliana's Song the most.

Awakenings is worth play though if you can find it cheap.

sublime085 said:
Out of the DLC released so far I enjoyed Leliana's Song the most.

Awakenings is worth play though if you can find it cheap.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards those two the most. I assume it's just best to skip Darkspawn Chronicles? Return to Ostagar takes place during the Origins itself so I shouldn't bother with that either.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I was really happy about the new patch until I noticed it de-authorized all my DLC and now I can't use Shale.

Fixed.

I finally got around to getting this.

Playing as a female, elven, mage(triple the discrimination makes everything more interesting); stopped right after becoming a Grey Warden.

Any tips?

Also is
that best-friend-mage-apprentice guy becoming a blood mage avoidable?

coopolon

Hmmm, I really want to patch this game because of the memory leaks problem, but I'm about 50 hours into my current play through (on last treaty) and have several pretty major mods loaded (combat tweaks, advanced tactics, thsoe are the two biggest I think).

Top Bottom