• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Himuro said:
Well, as I posted in the BG2 replay thread I had the same problem.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2qxtgg6.jpg
But no longer.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2j3hbaa.jpg

Turning off 3d Accel is what mostly fixed it I think. Windowed mode.

I turned 3d acceleration off in the config program, and in windowed mode, the black blocks went away but the picture still looked funny.

ipvdrb.jpg

Zzoram

Hasphat6462 said:
I turned 3d acceleration off in the config program, and in windowed mode, the black blocks went away but the picture still looked funny.

ipvdrb.jpg

That actually looks normal IIRC. Nevermind, the fog of war is too blocky. You can play fine with it though.

MotherFan

Hm, what framerates can i expect with this setup?

AMD Phenom II x2 550 3.1 ghz
Radeon 5770
6 gigs ddr3

I want to play with higher quality settings at 1920x1080, but i can skip on the aa.

Zzoram said:
That actually looks normal IIRC. Nevermind, the fog of war is too blocky. You can play fine with it though.

Yeah I know, but it would be nice if I could find a real fix to it.

I tried to disable directdraw in dxdiag, but the "disable" option was nowhere to be found. Great, now I got a new problem to find a fix for.

Satanyoka

Banned
Himuro said:
It has a huge learning curve. Learn to take things slow; bait monsters so you take them one at a time instead of in groups. Use your thief to scout the fog of war to get enemy numbers and types so you can come up with a strategy before fighting. Use character weapon proficiency in the character menu (R key) to see what they're good at. They're going to keep missing and not hit shit if you say, give a character who's good at 2h swords a 1h sword.
I'll give it another go after I build my PC. I'm trying to get into more CRPGs. It seems I like role playing more than I initially thought. :D

Wag

Hey everyone- just wanted to say my Standard Edition retail box shipped from Amazon already (free shipping) and I placed my order around the end of Sept. So everyone who ordered from Amazon should be shipped real soon if they ordered early.

Whooo, helm of the deep unlocked. Totally not worth it, but whatever. It's funny to see how fast you can breeze through the game on easy after struggling to gain an inch in hard mode.

quaere

People have spotted PC and 360 at retail. I think the only concern would be PS3. Amazon has release date delivery for the PC and 360 versions, but it is not available for PS3. I can’t think of any explanation other than they don’t/didn’t have the stock to offer it. Guess we’ll have to see…

MotherFan said:

Radeon 5770
6 gigs ddr3

I want to play with higher quality settings at 1920x1080, but i can skip on the aa.

a million fps

Himuro said:
That happened to me as well. What are your settings?

That's not fine at all to me and no, that's not normal.

Let's see: Max on all the hardware options (600Mhz :lol ). Did not check "Use 3D Acceleration." 32-bit, 800 by 600, no 3D animation.

LCfiner

Aptos said:
Hyperbole on gaf!? This cannot be tolerated!

-_________________-

the post I was responding to was trying to be serious, from what I could tell.

sigh, now this thread is making me want to hunt down copies of Baldur’s Gate 2 and Planescape Torment. I can’t do that! how will I find the time to play them?

Fredescu

LCfiner said:
sigh, now this thread is making me want to hunt down copies of Baldur’s Gate 2 and Planescape Torment. I can’t do that! how will I find the time to play them?
There's a new retail batch of that coming, at least in the UK.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Himuro said:
Then what's the point of posting on a message board?

If someone had the answer they would likely give it but since no one has posted it it doesnt seem like anyone knows for sure, which leaves one option, go find out for yourself. Then, post it on the forums so anyone else who is wondering that same question can be relieved. Information has to start from somewhere, might as well be with you.

Himuro said:
I can't run Torment on my current computer. I tried running widescreen mod, the works. No go.

The only way to play it would be in 800 x 600 resolution. And who the fuck wants to do that?

I love the game, it's one of my favorites, but I can't replay it at all. It took me one night to get BG2 configured so I could replay it.

If only these games would be re-released and fit to work on modern machines.

If BG2 ever made its way to GOG.com, I'd be more than willing to buy it again.

Fredescu

LCfiner said:
silly (and old, I guess) OT joke. It’s been used too much, I admit.

just getting on a plane to grab copies of the new retail run of PT
Ah sorry, I don't OT much. I know you're being tongue in cheek, but there are online retailers in the UK with free international shipping. I'm in Australia and I reckon I buy at least half of my games from the UK.

Blackheim

2dqfx1.jpg

Gah, I'm glad this is looking to be pretty popular at least and I can take some consolation in the fact that the game isn't playable yet. Yes, I'm ignoring the fact that some Best Buys broke street date >.>

Shinjitsu

Banned
MotherFan said:

Radeon 5770
6 gigs ddr3

Come on what do you think, take a look at the system requirements.

Recommended:

OS: Windows XP (SP3) or Windows Vista (SP1) or Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-Core 2.7 Ghz Processor or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB (3GB Vista and Windows 7)
Graphics: ATI 3850 512 MB or NVidia 8800GTS 512MB or greater
DirectX®: DirectX (November 2007)
Hard Drive: 20 GB HD space
Sound: Direct X Compatible Sound Card

Really is this just an excuse to show off what you have? Or can you really not read the recommended specs and see that your machine blows them out of the water...

Every other post here asking about "can my machine run this" is starting to make this thread look like a gamefaqs board:lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
MotherFan said:

Radeon 5770
6 gigs ddr3

:lol :lol

Do you think this system will run it alright? Q6700, GTX285...

...alright, I'm kidding. :lol

Finally broke down and bought the digital collector's edition thanks to this thread and the incessant Steam pop-ups. :lol To be honest, I'm really concerned the game might be another Mass Effect (in the sense that it really worked better on the 360) but I guess all of the old Baldur's Gate nostalgia has hit me at the right time.

(Speaking of which, why aren't BG1&2 on Steam...?)

Shinjitsu

Banned
Crazymoogle said:

Finally broke down and bought the digital collector's edition thanks to this thread and the incessant Steam pop-ups. :lol To be honest, I'm really concerned the game might be another Mass Effect (in the sense that it really worked better on the 360) but I guess all of the old Baldur's Gate nostalgia has hit me at the right time.

None of the Infinity engine games are anywhere on any digital service.

When I moved to Korea the only physical games i took with me were BG1&2, Torment and Icewind Dale 1&2 plus the respective expansions.

I'd gladly pay for all of the games again if they showed up on steam or GoG.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crazymoogle said:

In what sense did Mass Effect work better on 360? It was wayyy better on PC and DA:O looks to be the same.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
PS3 guys...has anyone figured out how to change the camera angle? When Bioware was showing off the game, they showed me how you're able to switch between the standard 3rd person camera, to a traditional isometric view. Alas, I see no option to do that anymore...

Loudninja

AlphaSnake said:
PS3 guys...has anyone figured out how to change the camera angle? When Bioware was showing off the game, they showed me how you're able to switch between the standard 3rd person camera, to a traditional isometric view. Alas, I see no option to do that anymore...

I dont think the console versions have that choice.

epmode

AlphaSnake said:
Serious? PC only.

Justinian

AlphaSnake said:

You can't have isometric view in console versions.

What would you do with isometric view anyway? There is no gameplay benefit as you can only control one character at a time.

nubbe

The game will run perfectly fin on any modern PC.
You might just not be able to have every bell and whistle at the highest setting.

Pro tip:
Shadow quality have a major impact on performance

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Has it been said what kind of play time Dragon Age has?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Crazymoogle said:

I take it you haven't watched any gameplay videos of Dragon Age yet. The game was obviously made with a mouse and keyboard in mind.

Also, what about Mass Effect worked better on the 360? I played through it twice on the 360 when it first launched and it was pretty janky with a poor framerate and awful pop-in. I later played through it two more times on the PC and I can't think of anything that was worse than the console version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
Has it been said what kind of play time Dragon Age has?

From what I have read: 35 - 40 for people trying to rush through the game, 60 - 80 for average players not rushing but also not trying to do everything, and well over 100 for those who want to do absolutely everything. This is not counting multiple playthroughs.

epmode

Justinian said:
You can't have isometric view in console versions.

What would you do with isometric view anyway? There is no gameplay benefit as you can only control one character at a time.
In the PC version? If it's anything like Baldur's Gate, you can give orders to multiple characters at a time. Mouse selection, remember?

My assumption is that the view is most useful for precise positioning and getting a good look at the battlefield.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zefah said:
From what I have read: 35 - 40 for people trying to rush through the game, 60 - 80 for average players not rushing but also not trying to do everything, and well over 100 for those who want to do absolutely everything. This is not counting multiple playthroughs.

Pretty reasonable. I really wanna pick up the game, but I've got 3D Dot Game Heroes coming in in a few days, and I don't know how much time I'm going to have to play this...then again, I just finished my contract job, so I suddenly have a fuckload of time on my hands. :|

Justinian

epmode said:
In the PC version? If it's anything like Baldur's Gate, you can give orders to multiple characters at a time. Mouse selection, remember?

My assumption is that the view is most useful for precise positioning and getting a good look at the battlefield.

I meant what would a console player do with isometric view - it only benefits PC players.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
Pretty reasonable. I really wanna pick up the game, but I've got 3D Dot Game Heroes coming in in a few days, and I don't know how much time I'm going to have to play this...then again, I just finished my contract job, so I suddenly have a fuckload of time on my hands. :|

Oh shit, I totally forgot about 3D Dot Game Heroes. I might not get it at launch with so many other games to play, but assuming it is not terrible I will definitely be picking it up. After Demon's Souls I am more than willing to give From Software's games a chance.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
ManeKast said:

Reading that review was painful. Dear god, that was plain stupidity.

Given that work started on Dragon Age: Origins some five years ago (or more, even – given the game's unveiling in 2004), clearly the direction of the story and the character designs have been heavily influenced by EA's other big gaming brand at the time.

Or perhaps it's that unshakeable feeling that, after ten years, maybe High Fantasy needs to take a few more risks, lest it be forgotten like the realms it inhabits.

ManeKast

Damn looks like I really am going to have to fork out for that new PC after all. This really sounds like it belongs at home.

Still, sounds solid on 360 does this mean the review embargo has lifted for all countries?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheCardPlayer said:

Given that work started on Dragon Age: Origins some five years ago (or more, even – given the game's unveiling in 2004), clearly the direction of the story and the character designs have been heavily influenced by EA's other big gaming brand at the time.

Or perhaps it's that unshakeable feeling that, after ten years, maybe High Fantasy needs to take a few more risks, lest it be forgotten like the realms it inhabits.

Wow, that is some terrible English. I am continually amazed how stuff like this gets published.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Zefah said:
Wow, that is some terrible English. I am continually amazed how stuff like this gets published.

Ah that's nothing, IGN UK's review of Fallout 3, still haunts me.

It’s very much technology first and polish second. Many of Oblivion’s dialogue and animation embarrassments come over wholesale, and the familiarity of the experience makes it harder to st

I guess Dragon Age made it even harder to st, according to IGN's standard.

Fredescu

Justinian said:
Justinian said:
I meant what would a console player do with isometric view - it only benefits PC players.
Eh? You can switch between characters with RB/LB/L1/R1. There is no reason I can think of that it would benefit the PC version more than the console versions.

TheCardPlayer said:
Welcome to IGN AU.

Justinian

A pretty awful review.

You know something is amiss when the reviewer barely mentions all the strengths others have been raving about, while focusing on everything he didn't think was impressive enough.

Maybe it was the bad taste in his mouth after playing on console.

Top Bottom