• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Need some help folks. I'm Lv 7 and chose to go first to the Brecillian Forest after Ostager. Had no real problems with the
werewolves, ogres, and bears
, oh my!, in the forest, but then I ran into
Revenant at a gravestone and the Mad Hermit / Mage with demons,
and both encounters laid me flat in seconds. Should I a) stay away from these encounters until I level up and just stick to the main quest, b) choose a different place to go to after Ostager (
I think Alistair earlier mentioned finding an Arl first -- I just remembered this
), or c) man up, find some buffs, and keep at it.

For reference, I played about halfway through NWN several years ago (my last extended PC gaming experience actually) and vaguely remember BGII before that, but I'm no pro at these games. I only recently realized I should switch between characters, rather than just controlling the Warden.

Mr_Zombie

I suggest staying away from these encounters until you level up.

About the
Hermit, you don't even need to fight him. As I remember, you can either talk him down or offer him something in exchange to what the Oak want.

Went back and tore through the non-mage Origin Stories before I delve into Awakening (with my mage).
Kind of wish I'd played the game as a City Elf, I enjoyed slaughtering those racist rapists.

coopolon

affableamerican said:
Need some help folks. I'm Lv 7 and chose to go first to the Brecillian Forest after Ostager. Had no real problems with the
werewolves, ogres, and bears
, oh my!, in the forest, but then I ran into
Revenant at a gravestone and the Mad Hermit / Mage with demons,
and both encounters laid me flat in seconds. Should I a) stay away from these encounters until I level up and just stick to the main quest, b) choose a different place to go to after Ostager (
I think Alistair earlier mentioned finding an Arl first -- I just remembered this
), or c) man up, find some buffs, and keep at it.

For reference, I played about halfway through NWN several years ago (my last extended PC gaming experience actually) and vaguely remember BGII before that, but I'm no pro at these games. I only recently realized I should switch between characters, rather than just controlling the Warden.

Yah, I would just move on to some different quests and then come back. One of the nice things about this game is that with a few exceptions (most notably
the Mages Tower
) if you find what you're doing too difficult, you can stop, pursue some other quests, then return when you've got some more levels/better equipment.

Ricker

Anyone find it strange that Awakening is more expensive now then Origins...Awekening is still 44 bucks everywhere here,while Origins is 39 :lol

Got Leliana`s song last evening and I had a hard time getting into it at first,the story is really weird or something but the first hard fight,while I was still struggling to get familiar with the controls again(360) and dying 3 times before I beat those guys got me right back in it...

Cool, thanks for the replies folks. I'm getting pretty addicted, but I'm having a hard time getting into a groove in combat. I feel like I should be pausing and switching between party members the whole time, but battles move so quickly that I can easily get overwhelmed. I need to get a better sense for how to prepare (poisons, traps, maybe buffs if they exist) and then how to coordinate attacks and spells (
Morrigan seems to have some decent debuffs
).

Am I on the right track? This isn't a go-in-guns-blazin' kind of combat system...

affableamerican said:
Cool, thanks for the replies folks. I'm getting pretty addicted, but I'm having a hard time getting into a groove in combat. I feel like I should be pausing and switching between party members the whole time, but battles move so quickly that I can easily get overwhelmed. I need to get a better sense for how to prepare (poisons, traps, maybe buffs if they exist) and then how to coordinate attacks and spells (
Morrigan seems to have some decent debuffs
).

Am I on the right track? This isn't a go-in-guns-blazin' kind of combat system...

Early on you're definitely going to have to micro manage your squad a little bit. After you get a few levels under your belt and some of the higher level skills (mostly mage spells) it becomes easier. Best advice is to make sure you have a balanced party with everyone handling their roles (mage nuking and debuffing, rogue backstabbing, tank tying up enemies etc) and don't hesitate to chug a ton of health potions as necessary. Also mages are pretty overpowered, so you might to swap out a current party member for a 2nd mage if you haven't already.

Ricker

I`ll check later but is there a difficulty slider for Leliana`s song ?...like the first game,there`s some rooms that are a real pain,there`s like 6 guys,including a stronger Mage(yellow name) that I just can`t beat at the point i am now,on the default setting(360)with only Leliana,a warrior that doesn`t even have boots yet and a Mage...

Shambles

I just started to look at this game. Checked out some videos and some gameplay and started to really interested. And then I slowly looked up what kind of DRM it's running and because it's only a CD check i'm super stoked about picking up the game for PC when I get back home. I hear the expansion or DLC has some lame DRM but that might just be the console ports.

For anyone else just looking at this thread for the first time I invite you to jump in with me!

Pikelet

I love this games difficulty, except the overpowered mages. It just makes things like poisons and traps actually serve a purpose, unlike the typical jrpg grindfest were it is quickest and easiest to just ignore status effects and play in the most boring way possible.

Ricker

Huge spoiler question if you haven`t finished Leliana`s Song:

Is Thug suppose to die or is it something I didn`t do right?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ricker said:
Huge spoiler question if you haven`t finished Leliana`s Song:

Is Thug suppose to die or is it something I didn`t do right?

mean "Tug"? Yea he bites the dust regardless of what you do.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not enjoying this game at all... tried a few different characters and all of them are boring.

It's so boring.

And the game runs like shit on PS3.

I usually love RPG's and Bioware, but I can't get into this one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lastplayed said:
The female version of the City Elf origin is my favourite I think, it's so satisfyingly brutal.

It is, except they couldn't bother even changing the model of the character who is raped. We just have to take the voice actress' word for it that "something" happened.

recklessmind said:
I'm not enjoying this game at all... tried a few different characters and all of them are boring.

It's so boring.

And the game runs like shit on PS3.

I usually love RPG's and Bioware, but I can't get into this one.

PS3 version: 1.5/10
360 version: 4.5/10
PC version: 6/10

I did mildly enjoy the game on PC, although I still have to finnish the game, which in my busy schedule may never occur.

Xbox Avatar armor out

Armor $4 each... (helms $2 extra)

Ricker

Finsihed Leliana`s Song...I would take one of these every month if they where 5 bucks instead of 7,it was pretty good...makes me want to finally get Awakening...

coopolon

It's always cracked me up how so many of the outfits in this game have two belts, what do they need two belts for? It's not like there are pouches on any of their belts anyway.

Davedough

I had put this game on the back burner some time ago and didn't pick it up until just this past week. I cant get over how epic this game feels... I feel like I'm barely into it and I think I've already sunken at least 10 hours into it. What a fabulous game.

CrankyJay

Banned
Was thinking of getting this. It's $36.99 on Amazon.com and I have a $20 games credit. Was hoping to wait until it hit $30 on Amazon but I'm not sure how soon that would happen.

After taxes and free 2 day shipping thru Prime, would you say this game is worth $18 and change?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
CrankyJay said:
Was thinking of getting this. It's $36.99 on Amazon.com and I have a $20 games credit. Was hoping to wait until it hit $30 on Amazon but I'm not sure how soon that would happen.

After taxes and free 2 day shipping thru Prime, would you say this game is worth $18 and change?

You already know what everybody in this thread will answer, so what was the point of you asking that?

CrankyJay said:

Totally. Assuming you mean PC or 360. Probably PS3 too but it seems to have the most issues with this game.

lastplayed said:
I dunno what it is with avatars, but armour never looks right. Those look like something from Mass Effect or Star Wars rather than actual plate armour.

Too form fitting and not bulky.

Look at the Calin one especially. Looks like most of it is skin tight fabric instead of metal plates.

coopolon

HadesGigas said:
Totally. Assuming you mean PC or 360. Probably PS3 too but it seems to have the most issues with this game.

Really? I don't care, I play it on PC, but I was under the impression the PS3 version was superior. It has more framerate problems, but vastly superior textures (which would be really important in the console version of this game since you're always up close and personal with them).

Again, I could care less, I'm playing the best version, but this is what I remember reading in the head 2 head's when this game was released.

Yopis

Yeah I bought game for my brother on 360 and PS3 was better looking but really it's not a deal breaker. Really enjoyed game except for the end.

Golems of Amgarrak

Coming August 10, 2010
$5
*Not available as a separate download for the Mac version of Dragon Age: Origins

Delve deep underground to save a missing dwarven expedition in search of ancient secrets for creating monstrous constructs. Only you can uncover the gruesome fate that befell them.

Put your Warden back in action and adventure through new environments, meet new characters and defeat never before seen creatures. With an engrossing new storyline and challenging puzzles this is one add-on you don't want to miss!
Import your character from Origins or Awakening or create a new, high-level hero!
Face an all-new terrifying creature
Earn powerful rewards that transfer into your Awakening and Origins campaign
An advanced challenge for even the most experienced adventurers

J-Roderton

I'm definitely new to this game and the genre. Can someone tell me how to not die so much? I'm just now at Ostagar in the human noble story. The combat is really the only thing mixing me up.

kai3345

Banned
I hope Shale will have some sort of role to play

Jroderton said:
I'm definitely new to this game and the genre. Can someone tell me how to not die so much? I'm just now at Ostagar in the human noble story. The combat is really the only thing mixing me up.
Do you know about the roles of your characters in combat? Tanks, DPS and Healers?

J-Roderton

kai3345 said:
I hope Shale will have some sort of role to play

Do you know about the roles of your characters in combat? Tanks, DPS and Healers?

Yea. Im assuming as the warrior I would be a tank. Just running in mashing the basic attack button won't work I'm finding out.

Jroderton said:
Mages are going to be your best friends. They are your best healer and primary damage dealer. I recommend that each mage learn heal and mind blast.

Willpower raises stamina and mana.

Learn lethality for your rogue. It makes cunning affect damage rather than strength.

Warriors are better used as tanks rather than damage dealers, unless you have Shale who rocks at both.

Pause often and save often. AOE spells are awesome. Lightening in particular is great because it hurts the opponent's stamina as well, or so I've read.

J-Roderton

crowphoenix said:
Mages are going to be your best friends. They are your best healer and primary damage dealer. I recommend that each mage learn heal and mind blast.

Willpower raises stamina and mana.

Learn lethality for your rogue. It makes cunning affect damage rather than strength.

Warriors are better used as tanks rather than damage dealers, unless you have Shale who rocks at both.

Pause often and save often. AOE spells are awesome. Lightening in particular is great because it hurts the opponent's stamina as well, or so I've read.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm getting the hang of it. I'm pretty sure I can add Morrigan to my party soon anyway. Haven't had much mage interaction yet.

Ploid 3.0

Man Arcane Warrior + Blood Mage is such a awesome tank. After getting in the groove of doing that I made sure to give my healer blood mage sub even if the character is very against the practice. Blood magic with a ranger in the group for drain pool pets is so nice.

Really wish there was more to fight in this game, running out of enemies right as the fun starts. Saved the 2 dragons to try soloing them. Had to have a heal support for the ice dragon.

Arcane Warrior, best tank in the game.

Owzers

I bought Dragon Age Awakenings for PS3 and want to sell my 360 version of Origins. Will this new Golems dlc require owning Origins?

kai3345

Banned
Jroderton said:
Yea. Im assuming as the warrior I would be a tank. Just running in mashing the basic attack button won't work I'm finding out.

First, you're going to need to dump your skill points into Strength and Constitution. Learn skills from the generic Warrior and Sword and Shield trees, learn Threaten and have it activated at all times and always have the most powerful version of the "Shield Defense" buff active (its the second section withing Sword and Shield tree, "Shield Defense" "Shield Balance" "Shield Wall" "Shield Expertise")

Jswanko

Need some help. I just reformatted my computer and when i reinstalled DA:O the DLC stopped showing up. It wont even appear in the "Downloadable Content" section of the game menu, and I already made sure to log into my EA account. I own it on Steam and already tried reinstalling again with no luck.

Edit: To clarify a bit nothing shows up under "Available Content"

Top Bottom