• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Ploid 3.0

1.04 patch is now on ps3. I looked at the patch notes and it mentioned something about memory leaks. Is that pc only? It seem to be crash related though, I never had it crash on me (ps3).

Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week** :
Week of August 9 through August 22: Dragon Age: Origins

Awakening, 2400 Microsoft Points

Return to Ostagar, 240 Microsoft Points

Warden's Keep, 400 Microsoft Points

Blood Dragon Red Avatar T-shirt , 40 Microsoft Points (Male) (Female)

**Special pricing available for Xbox LIVE Gold Members

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
kai3345 said:
Was Warden's Keep any good?

About an hour long quest, decent story imo, and you get a neat little storage chest too.

Rufus

Jswanko said:
Need some help. I just reformatted my computer and when i reinstalled DA:O the DLC stopped showing up. It wont even appear in the "Downloadable Content" section of the game menu, and I already made sure to log into my EA account. I own it on Steam and already tried reinstalling again with no luck.

Edit: To clarify a bit nothing shows up under "Available Content"
Check if the DA:O Content Updater service is running. Press Windows+R, type 'services.msc' and hit enter. Start it manually if it doesn't and check the in-game menu again. If that doesn't do it, there's a big support thread on the official forums just for DLC issues. You should find a solution to your problem there.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HadesGigas said:
Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week** :
Week of August 9 through August 22: Dragon Age: Origins

Awakening, 2400 Microsoft Points

Return to Ostagar, 240 Microsoft Points

Warden's Keep, 400 Microsoft Points

I might bite but I really want GOTY edition with all DLCs or all dlcs on one Disc , I can't believe Bioware/EA didn't announced Goty Edition with all of the dlcs for DA or ME2 yet.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
kai3345 said:
worth 5 bucks?

Well that's up to you really, Warden's keep gives you

-Hour long quest with a "moral" decision and interesting new location
-Either a good plate armor set or staff/robes(?)
-Storage chest

In my personal opinion, it is worth it.

I have the same problem in this game that I have in most RPGs, I hoarde too much stuff and my inventory is always on the brink of being full! I need to get over that. lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Totobeni said:
I might bite but I really want GOTY edition with all DLCs or all dlcs on one Disc , I can't believe Bioware/EA didn't announced Goty Edition with all of the dlcs for DA or ME2 yet.
Well the idea is that they finish doing all the DLC before doing a GOTY edition. It's counter-intuitive to release a "complete" GOTY edition and then continue to drop DLC.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
*sigh* My ps3 died while I was a good way through the expansion, and while I can turn on my PS3 (wont read disks), I can't seem to backup any of my saves, so I am sad :(. I really don't want to restart this game from scratch!!!!

Still finding after the patch performance continues to bog down after playing for awhile :( Really putting me off playing the game, knowing load times are going to increase between areas and general running around getting choppy.

Mest30

Banned
I just picked this game up and will probably start it on Friday. Is there anything I need to know? Does the instruction book give you a pretty good idea of what you're suppose to do? It's been a long time since I played a true RPG and after reading some of these posts on here, it looks like I may be in over my head.

gdt

Yeah, I just flipped through the manual and I'm getting Oblivion vibes, and I hate Oblivion!

Love me some Bioware though, so I guess we'll see.

Mest30 said:
I just picked this game up and will probably start it on Friday. Is there anything I need to know? Does the instruction book give you a pretty good idea of what you're suppose to do? It's been a long time since I played a true RPG and after reading some of these posts on here, it looks like I may be in over my head.
What system did you get it on?

As for general tips, remember that warriors are more tanks than anything else and mages will do most of your damage.

gdt

Stallion Free said:
About the only thing this game has in common with Oblivion is the fantasy roots.

Ahh, good to see.

Though, I wondering if that why I hate Oblivion...

I really hope not.

I got the 360 version, btw. I'll start it as soon as I start...and finish Fable II. Don't wanna play two fantasyish games at the same time.

Rufus

Mest30 said:
Keep a healer in your party. You might want to go to the Tower of Magi first to pick one up, unless you fill the position yourself. (Any mage can, there's a spell line for that.) Bring potions and automate their consumption via the tactics menu. Are you playing on console or on PC?

gdt5016 said:
Yeah, I just flipped through the manual and I'm getting Oblivion vibes, and I hate Oblivion!

Love me some Bioware though, so I guess we'll see.

I hated Oblivion too, DA:O is very, very different. The best comparison to other games would be a hybrid of KOTOR and BG2 if you've played either of those games.

I burned myself out way too hard on this game, I played it for like 4 straight days, beat it, started another file to get more trophies and now I'm roughly halfway through that play through. I think I need to play some of the DLC stuff before hitting back on the main quest.

Also, all the guides I've seen for romancing each of the characters kind of makes it seem really hard to do.

brandonh83 said:
Also, all the guides I've seen for romancing each of the characters kind of makes it seem really hard to do.

Only romanced Morrigan in my playthrough and it was really easy. Don't know bout the other characters, but I don't think any of them are difficult.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Stallion Free said:
Well the idea is that they finish doing all the DLC before doing a GOTY edition. It's counter-intuitive to release a "complete" GOTY edition and then continue to drop DLC.

I thought that The Golems of Amgarrak is the final DLC for the game ( since Dragon Age 2 is now announced) , oh well :/

Stallion Free said:
About the only thing this game has in common with Oblivion is the fantasy roots.

yup , they are very different , but as the setting I think Dragon Age , The Witcher and Demon's Soul also fantasy medieval setting way better than Oblivion ( and they were better RPG than Oblivion as well).

gdt5016

Ahh, good to see.

Though, I wondering if that why I hate Oblivion...

I really hope not.

I got the 360 version, btw. I'll start it as soon as I start...and finish Fable II. Don't wanna play two fantasyish games at the same time.

I would say go play Dragon Age first before Fable 2, because DA:O is way better and way longer game.

and I too hated Oblivion too it was just boring and broken ( but loved Fallout 3 ).

Decado

I just read something rather disturbing about DA (a game I intend to buy once my backlog is under control). You have to *unlock* the ability to "program" your NPCs? WTF is this shit? You cannot simply pause the game and issue orders to your NPCs like in Baldur's Gate?

epmode

Decado said:
I just read something rather disturbing about DA (a game I intend to buy once my backlog is under control). You have to *unlock* the ability to "program" your NPCs? WTF is this shit? You cannot simply pause the game and issue orders to your NPCs like in Baldur's Gate?
You're always able to issue manual commands like that. What they're talking about is something similar to the gambit system in Final Fantasy 12. The more slots you unlock, the more complex your automated AI routines can be.

It's pretty ridiculous to have to spend points on that stuff in the first place so I don't mind using cheats/mods to increase it. PC version FTW.

Rufus

There giving orders and there's programming them. The latter are 'tactics' you can assign, essentially manipulate their AI in specific ways. You have a number of slots for If-Then like statements. You get more if you raise certain attributes/skills yadda yadda. Yes, you can still give your characters orders regardless.

Decado said:

No, you can. What you are unlocking is simply more tactics for the a.i. to control themselves.

Example: Say I start with only two tactics for my healer. I would enter the following:

-I want my Healer to cast group heal when my main character's health drops below 50%.
-I want my Healer to cast heal on herself when she drops below 25% health.

With two bonus tactics, I would enter the following:

-I want my Healer to take a mana potion when her mana drops below 25%.
-I want my Healer to cast a weakness curse whenever a boss or elite character appears.

You can take control of the character and have her do this yourself, but I like having the option to focus on my main character as much as possible. The more tactics you've unlocked make the A.I. act the way you want it to when you aren't taking direct control.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The_Inquisitor said:
Any news of a Dragon Age:GOTY /all DLC release?

Edit: Also can you buy DLC through steam? Or do you have to buy from bioware site?
No there hasn't been any news of that and all DLC other than Awakenings must be purchased through Bioware directly (it is tied to your account that you log into in the game).

Stallion Free said:
No there hasn't been any news of that and all DLC other than Awakenings must be purchased through Bioware directly (it is tied to your account that you log into in the game).

Ah ok thanks! I may pick it up now that I saw the price dropped to 30.

Ricker

Probably because of the deal of the week next week on Awakening,it`s cheaper now at Gamestops and all so I got a copy for 25 bucks...always wanted to get this but at 44 up here in Canada,I waited for this moment...not sure if i`ll continue with my Rogue or start a new character...lots of incentive to continue with your DA Origins completed save?

I'm currently playing as a tank and am confused on how to allocate my points. I thought constitution would be one of the main stats secondary to strength but I see that there are conflicting strategies saying that dexterity should be maxed out and constitution can remain at about 20-25. Who's right?

Rufus

Circle of Willis said:
I'm currently playing as a tank and am confused on how to allocate my points. I thought constitution would be one of the main stats secondary to strength but I see that there are conflicting strategies saying that dexterity should be maxed out and constitution can remain at about 20-25. Who's right?
The latter. Constitution only has the one advantage of being able to take more hits. Dexterity, however, raises your accuracy which helps keep the enemies' attention, because you hit them more often. In turn it also makes you harder to hit, nullifying the need for a lot of health. Even if you get hit, you'll be wearing the biggest armour anyway (which also draws attention to you).

Patryn

Circle of Willis said:

If you get a high enough dexterity, you become immune to basically anything except special attacks, because nobody can hit you. It's kind of sick.

Safe Bet

Banned
Patryn said:
If you get a high enough dexterity, you become immune to basically anything except special attacks, because nobody can hit you. It's kind of sick.
In a dark smoky tavern, in some far off distant land, a thief glooms threateningly.

There's no real reason for any character other than Shale (b/c his equipment requires it) to ever have more than base CON. This is also why Shale is such a poor tank late game compared to any sword and shielder.

kai3345

Banned
Basileus777 said:
There's no real reason for any character other than Shale (b/c his equipment requires it) to ever have more than base CON. This is also why Shale is such a poor tank late game compared to any sword and shielder.
what?
I had Sten at base CON for forever and he died nearly every fight.

Brazil said:
Game + Awakening + all of the DLC? That's great.
I didn't see any of that said anywhere

kai3345 said:
what?
I had Sten at base CON for forever and he died nearly every fight.

It's still almost always better to put points in DEX instead of CON. You'll get hit less, land your attacks more often, and will be healed easier (less HP) with points in DEX as opposed to CON. High HP damage cushions are simply less effective than high DEX characters that avoid getting hit at all.

Mest30

Banned
Finally started this on PS3 on Friday. I am 4.5 hours in, probably barely scratching the surface. So far, I am very impressed. I thought it might be a little boring which is why I waited for a price drop to buy it. I am compelled at the story. It actually reminds me of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I am playing as a warrior and I'm still a little confused as to what I should be leveling up more. I'm focusing on strength right now but at least now I know that dex is more important than con. How important is magic for a warrior? Right now I'm keeping strength a few points ahead of everything else and keeping everything else equal.

I am really looking forward to playing this title for a while and will be looking forward to DA2. I probably won't be getting the DLC because I think it's BS that devs make you pay for that shit when it should come with the game. But is there anything important storywise in the DLC that I should know while playing through this game or before DA2? Thanks.

TomServo

About 53 hours in, headed into the final battle with almost all of the sidequests done.

Obviously I've enjoyed it if I put 53 hours in, but I can't see myself spending any more on DLC (I bought Warden't Keep) or even a complete sequel. Best to beat this one and move on. Besides, I've got some good stuff sitting completely unplayed on my shelf - Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2 - and there's always SSFIV.

kai3345

Banned
Basileus777 said:
It's still almost always better to put points in DEX instead of CON. You'll get hit less, land your attacks more often, and will be healed easier (less HP) with points in DEX as opposed to CON. High HP damage cushions are simply less effective than high DEX characters that avoid getting hit at all.
Hm. Never thought of it like that

Top Bottom