• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

kai3345

Banned
Just finished Golems of Amgarrak.

It was really good and well worth the five bucks.

But don't believe the PR bullshit, this expansion isnt "harder" per se. All they do is throw a bunch of Oranges at you and call it harder. That being said it was still fun, and I'm thinking about playing it again on a harder difficulty.

The story is pretty light, but whats there is good. Most of the story is told through this guys journal, whose pages you find scattered throughout the dungeon, think Bioshock's audio logs.

I havent jumped back into the main game to see what the reward was, but I bet its some useless amulet or something.

Anyway, definitley worth 5 bucks.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I just got into this game. Really liking it. I'm currently a level 10 warrior. I went to Red Cliff and did all the stuff there. Then off to the Tower to set things right. Now I've arrived at Denim (or whatever it's called). Good times.

I chose to learn poison making thinking I could coat my weapons with some nasty stuff. I made a level 1 poison, coated my sword before a fight... and I think it lasted like 5 seconds. Am I missing something? Is there any way to coat your weapon with something that lasts longer?

Also, those fucking wolves. OMG. I save every time I travel somewhere because meeting those wolves for me is a gauranteed instadeath. It's so goddamn frustrating. I've beaten mages, dragons, ogres, demons, etc., but for some reason my entire party gets OBLITERATED by these damn random wolves every single time. Any suggestions?

FutureZombie said:
As far as RPGs, I've played most of the FF series, Suikoden III, Mass Effect, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Paper Mario, Paper Mario TYD, .Hack, Xenosaga, and a bunch of others. Just looking over that list, and thinking of other games where characters matter (GTA series for example) I see a bunch of one dimensional characters. Some are very cool or memorable, but they are not as human-like as the party members you get in Dragon Age.

The impression I'm getting from everyone else who replied to what I wrote is either that:

A) Morrigan is a boring character.

B) They sped through the game without talking to their party members.

or

C) There are lots of games out there with unique characters with fully fleshed out back stories who make you look at them differently throughout the game.

I know it's not A, because I just finished the game last night. I think most likely the answer is B, but then again, if you're posting in this thread, it would be weird if you sped through the game. And if it's C, then I want to know what games those are so I can play them.

I suppose it depends on what criteria you base it against...DA has very obvious influences, ie standard fantasy...and to that model Morrigin is pretty much a standard cliche... For a game DA is well written, and I agree that the amount of banter and interaction in the game definitely fleshes out the characters...particularly Alasdair in my opinion. Still, while the characters are more 'lifelike' in some sences, I didn't find any of them particularly interesting, or at the game didn't succeed in making any of them unique. I think it is a facet of the whole game in fact...well crafted, but pretty standard in just about every way. Personally, I do quite like characters with somewhat colourful and exaggerated characters in my rpgs...jrpgs often take this aspect too far. Biowares rpgs often have some sterility to them.

Ill probably cop the Morrigin DLC

luxarific

Nork unification denier
RSTEIN said:
I just got into this game. Really liking it. I'm currently a level 10 warrior. I went to Red Cliff and did all the stuff there. Then off to the Tower to set things right. Now I've arrived at Denim (or whatever it's called). Good times.

I chose to learn poison making thinking I could coat my weapons with some nasty stuff. I made a level 1 poison, coated my sword before a fight... and I think it lasted like 5 seconds. Am I missing something? Is there any way to coat your weapon with something that lasts longer?

Also, those fucking wolves. OMG. I save every time I travel somewhere because meeting those wolves for me is a gauranteed instadeath. It's so goddamn frustrating. I've beaten mages, dragons, ogres, demons, etc., but for some reason my entire party gets OBLITERATED by these damn random wolves every single time. Any suggestions?

Poison making is awesome. I got one of my characters to level four poisons and the end battle (on Nightmare) turned out much easier than I'd thought, once I coated my melee guys' weapons with
Quiet Death and Concentrated Demonic Poison and used Acid Flasks)

The one thing I haven't really used much in combat is traps. It just seems like it takes too much time to set up, but I still have two more playthroughs of the game to go (to get all the beginnings/endings/cover all the DLC) so I might try a trapper build next time. I also maxed out Leliana as a ranger on my second playthrough and that was a ton of fun as well. Poison Spider for the win.

Re the wolves. Set tactics so that all party members are attacking the same enemy at the same time. This basically goes for nearly all enemy mobs that attack you.

Ricker

Just finished Awakening...I thought it was pretty good,got a save to try some other decisions as well,overall it was very easy on normal,except for 3 fights...the new characters where pretty awesome I thought...

I don`t see the new DLC on Live yet though...? later today or it`s been delayed?

RSTEIN

luxarific said:
Poison making is awesome. I got one of my characters to level four poisons and the end battle (on Nightmare) turned out much easier than I'd thought, once I coated my melee guys' weapons with
Quiet Death and Concentrated Demonic Poison and used Acid Flasks)
It sounds awesome. But I'm missing something fundamental. So I made the poison and applied it. It worked for like 10 seconds. Is it gone forever?

luxarific said:
Re the wolves. Set tactics so that all party members are attacking the same enemy at the same time. This basically goes for nearly all enemy mobs that attack you.
Ah, I'll have to try that. Thanks.

Edgeward

RSTEIN said:
It sounds awesome. But I'm missing something fundamental. So I made the poison and applied it. It worked for like 10 seconds. Is it gone forever?

Yes, it's a potion and not a permanent buff, you need a stock of them if you want to continue using them.

RSTEIN

Edgeward said:
Yes, it's a potion and not a permanent buff, you need a stock of them if you want to continue using them.

Ah seems like a lot of work... a few slashes with a battle axe is more fun and efficient :D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
RSTEIN said:
Ah seems like a lot of work... a few slashes with a battle axe is more fun and efficient :D

On the console version there's a little timer that unwinds like a clock showing how long the poison is active. I'm not really sure if poisons last longer the more training that characters have in poisons or if not. Buffs tend to last longer than poisons in my experience.

Poisons can make a tough boss battle much easier in my experience. Particularly the ones that work against mana in particular.

Stage On

Ogs said:
Downloading Witch Hunt now (appears on the DLC bit in-game). Heres hoping its not a fuckup like LOTSB.

I'm not sure if the in game thing records the transaction so that you could download it again if need be.

Just finished it. Was pretty damn good, having the dog back was great as was the other characters interaction with it. Even Sandal makes a comeback :lol New boss to fight in there too. When it came to the end..... yeah not satisfying, doesn't explain jack, and some of the responses made me "huh ?", it felt like every response was available rather than ones specific to what my character did in Origins. Very strange. I consider worth every penny i paid for it, and will most deffinately have another playthrough. Think it took me about 1 and a half hours.

The DLC is the best so far (aside from the Awakening Expansion), and I've downloaded all of them, even the fucking feastday pranks :lol

Impressions: I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just say it is about 3-ish hours long and more Dragon Age: Origins. I loved DA:O, so this download is well worth the money (560 bioware points - I play on PC) for me. There are some interesting choices, and I'll want to replay to see what else could have happened.

rush777

MyOtherBike said:
The DLC is the best so far (aside from the Awakening Expansion), and I've downloaded all of them, even the fucking feastday pranks :lol

Impressions: I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just say it is about 3-ish hours long and more Dragon Age: Origins. I loved DA:O, so this download is well worth the money (560 bioware points - I play on PC) for me. There are some interesting choices, and I'll want to replay to see what else could have happened.

Hmm sounds pretty cool, I might have to check this out.

kai3345

Banned
You would think that when they said it would be realeased September 7th, that it would be released early enough so that people can actually play it on september 7th

oh well, at least I got my bioware fix with the Shadow Broker dlc

Peff

Okay, that ending was weird. I
am pretty sure I accepted her offer in Origins, but she kept saying that I refused. Other than that it was nice as an ending for the Grey Warden, but Morrigan's speech about change totally sounded like Bioware promoting Dragon Age 2 to us :lol

Pretty good DLC, it's like a mini expansion pack with nice throwbacks to events and characters. Rather easy at this point, though.

For Witch Hunt, does it matter which character you import? For instance, if I import a character that had a romance with Morrigan, will that matter versus a character that did not?

Nemesis_

What the fuck?!

BioWare fucked up real bad with reading your previous decisions. Morrigan is all shitty with me for not doing the ritual, but I fucking did. Similarly, I killed
Flemeth
but Morrigan still thinks she is alive.

I want to know how this convo plays out when someone did accept the ritual. =(

kai3345

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
What the fuck?!

BioWare fucked up real bad with reading your previous decisions. Morrigan is all shitty with me for not doing the ritual, but I fucking did. Similarly, I killed
Flemeth
but Morrigan still thinks she is alive.

I want to know how this convo plays out when someone did accept the ritual. =(
God damn it Bioware

Conrad Verner, the Council, Garrus and now this

kai3345

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Do explain? =0
With Conrad Verner, the game assumed you took the renegade action even if you didnt.

With the council it didnt save the choice of weather you picked Anderson or Udina, so you had to pick again in ME2

And with Garrus even if you didn't recriut him in ME1, ME2 acts like you did so he goes on about "The old days when we were fighting geth and killing Saren and stuff" even though you never did any of that stuff with him

Arol

I just wasted money on this, but it won't let me select my saves.

They show up, but it's like they don;t finish loading. A bit annoying, feel like I just wanted money if its glitched or something.

On PS3 as well.

Nemesis_

kai3345 said:
With Conrad Verner, the game assumed you took the renegade action even if you didnt.

With the council it didnt save the choice of weather you picked Anderson or Udina, so you had to pick again in ME2

And with Garrus even if you didn't recriut him in ME1, ME2 acts like you did so he goes on about "The old days when we were fighting geth and killing Saren and stuff" even though you never did any of that stuff with him

People didn't recruit Garrus? =O But the other two things are pretty awful assumptions to make. I hope that BioWare remember that
Conrad is now dead
in my playthrough.

kai3345

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
People didn't recruit Garrus? =O But the other two things are pretty awful assumptions to make. I hope that BioWare remember that
Conrad is now dead
in my playthrough.
I didnt recriut him on my second run just to see what would happen in ME2. I doubt many did it, but still they should have never made it optional if they were just going to ignore it in ME2

Nemesis_

Yeah you had a point.

I wish there was some way to "create" an ME1 Shepherd to import into ME2. I want to do a lot more with the game but I have to pretty much finish ME1 again, and completely, to get a decent amount of choices made to use in ME2.

Specifically, I wish I romanced Liara. I felt I missed something having played through the recent DLC and not actually being able to continue the relationship.

REV 09

For dlc about morrigan, there wasn't much morrigan actually in it. Still, a bit of closure. Took me 1.5 hours...and I don't see how you could stretch it for more playtime. It also seemed to not tie too well with your closing decisions of Origins. I enjoyed it though.

Nemesis_

Sinatar said:
So it assumes you didn't do the ritual? That's idiotic.
Yeah.

But something just occurred to me. I had TWO of my Warden characters to choose from, one was a higher level with ten hours of playtime, the other was lower with almost forty hours of playtime.

I think when you import a character into Awakening, it "starts fresh" and doesn't really take any notice of the decision you made at the end of Origins.

As such, since I seem to have used my Awakening character in Witch Hunt, the game assumed I didn't complete Origins and as such the dialog was tailored that way.

If anyone knows anything about having some dialogue with Morrigan in terms of you actually doing the ritual, please let me know. >_>

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I just watched all the endings on youtube and they all discuss the baby, so it does reference the ritual. None of the 3 endings give any relevant information at all, all the marketing about this finishing the tale and answering questions is utter bullshit.

kai3345

Banned
I finally started Witch Hunt. I did the elvish dungeon and now im in the dwarf dungeon. I like how they've finally added meaning to the Dalish Origin and im interested to see how my Dalish Rouge will react to the situation.

I like the new characters and am glad the the humorous banter is back now more frequent than ever.

The whole Veil Tear mechanic in the mage dungeon was fun, even if it was bit tedious at times. The only thing the elf dungeon did was throw a bunch of archers at you.

I'll post more impressions once I finish it tomorrow morning.

Jenga

Banned
Sinatar said:
Well I just watched all the endings on youtube and they all discuss the baby, so it does reference the ritual. None of the 3 endings give any relevant information at all, all the marketing about this finishing the tale and answering questions is utter bullshit.
Not gonna lie, the ending actually made me wanna play DA2 even less :lol

Witch Hunt: So I just payed $7 for 1.5 hours of content in which the game did not remember the decisions I made and where no questions were answered and absolutely nothing was resolved? Fantastic!

Is it bugged?

_Xenon_

Banned
Did you guys play the witch hunt DLC on PC or console? I just finished it on 360 and her talking points about
the child and Flemin
are actually correct according to my main campaign playthrough and in the end my character even
FOLLOWED HER INTO THE MIRROR
!!! Can't wait for DA2!

Mr_Zombie

Nemesis556 said:
I wish there was some way to "create" an ME1 Shepherd to import into ME2. I want to do a lot more with the game but I have to pretty much finish ME1 again, and completely, to get a decent amount of choices made to use in ME2.

If you're playing the PC version you can use Gibbed's Save Editor. With that tool (among other things) you can edit choices you made in Mass Effect 1.

Also, sucks about Witch Hunt. I was really looking forward to play the DLC :/

_Xenon_ said:
I just finished it on 360 and her talking points about
the child and Flemin
are actually correct according to my main campaign playthrough
Did you import your original character from Origins or your (same) character from the end of Awakenings? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Top Bottom