• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

tokkun

Vamphuntr said:
I chose my Awakening character which had been imported from Origins. Guess it's another ''Pay First'' and we are going to repair it later DA product. Awakenings was a mess too.

Well, I personally did not have any problems with Awakenings either, but I've certainly seen many others besides you complaining about bugs in Witch Hunt.

Kind of a shame to see it since I thought Bioware has been doing a solid job with QA in the original Dragon Age and in the Mass Effect series.

Mar

Like some have said in here, I really liked Witch Hunt. It closed the game the way I thought it should have in the original. I was actually really bitter about the ending of Origins in that it didn't address the story I thought I was getting. But Witch Hunt wraps it up really nicely.

I do have a question though.
When Morrigan and I walked through the portal the game did some weird half second scene changes, like something else was supposed to happen but it cut out. There were two screens that showed for about half a second each (I'm sure one of them was my character and Morrigan standing in a field or something), but then instantly cut to the end credits.

Is that normal or did something fuck up?

Nemesis_

I am stuck in a shitty room full of six golems in the Amgarrak DLC! It's the room where you find two research notes and turn on the "Green" filter. Anyone got any hints on how to properly overcome them? Thay all just rush each party member at a time and totallly rape me. Playing Hard as a Mage, btw. Please help! =(

kai3345

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
I am stuck in a shitty room full of six golems in the Amgarrak DLC! It's the room where you find two research notes and turn on the "Green" filter. Anyone got any hints on how to properly overcome them? Thay all just rush each party member at a time and totallly rape me. Playing Hard as a Mage, btw. Please help! =(
Quake them with your Golem and get your rouge behing him and keep your tank drinking poultices is really all I can tell you. There's no secret strategy, its just like every other encounter. Except against Golems.

Mar said:
Like some have said in here, I really liked Witch Hunt. It closed the game the way I thought it should have in the original. I was actually really bitter about the ending of Origins in that it didn't address the story I thought I was getting. But Witch Hunt wraps it up really nicely.

When Morrigan and I walked through the portal the game did some weird half second scene changes, like something else was supposed to happen but it cut out. There were two screens that showed for about half a second each (I'm sure one of them was my character and Morrigan standing in a field or something), but then instantly cut to the end credits.

Did it look like gameplay or part of a cutscene? Right after the final cutscene my game looked like it was going back into gameplay for about 2 seconds and then it went to credits.

tokkun

Mar said:

I didn't see that at all. For me it quickly switched to a view of the dog, Finn, and Ariane looking up at the portal, then the credits rolled.

Mar

tokkun said:
I didn't see that at all. For me it quickly switched to a view of the dog, Finn, and Ariane looking up at the portal, then the credits rolled.

Hmm. maybe that was it then. But it was so quick and cut twice that I couldn't really make out what was going on.

Sounds similar to what i had when i completed Origins. When you
kill the archdemon, and the cutscene finishes, i very briefly saw me and my team back inside the area just before the roof, with Alistair saying "We've done it ? We've really done it ?" or something along those lines, quickly dissapeared with a load screen (but with the dialog still playing faintly)

Strange shit.

Mest30

Banned
ntropy said:
hmmm, the token should be in your plot item inventory, a type of item you, of course, don't need to manually pick up.

I am pretty sure I checked and I did not see it. Besides, if I had it in my inventory, wouldn't the character automatically use the item when by the steel door instead of wonder to themselves why there is a hole the size of a finger?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I was thinking of getting the DLCs and playing Dragon Age from the beginning with the DLCs. I have only played Origins till now and nothing else. So what DLCs/expansions are worth getting and is there a particular order in which I should play those to follow the story properly?

kai3345

Banned
kittoo said:
I was thinking of getting the DLCs and playing Dragon Age from the beginning with the DLCs. I have only played Origins till now and nothing else. So what DLCs/expansions are worth getting and is there a particular order in which I should play those to follow the story properly?
All of the DLC except for Shale and Warden's keep are seperate from the main game, so even if you started a new save then you would have to complete origins if you wanted to play the dlc using your character

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...Official-Witch-Hunt-DLC-update-4730386-1.html

Hi everyone,

PC update of Witch Hunt DLC (v1.1) had no issues over the weekend and is now being propped to the live servers!

We will do a final check before making it visible to players - expect this to be about another hour from this post. I'll update once it is accessible for players and include a link to the instructions.

Thanks,

F.

You will have to re-download Witch Hunt when the new version goes up.

spazzfish

Well I applied the fix and all it has done is mess up the witch content totally. I just get the error 'cannot load module'
I've deleted and reinstalled, but still the same problem. I'm guessing the fixed file is actually bugged or something.

kai3345

Banned
I feel like I should know this considering how much of a fan of this game I am, but I never really went into the sidequests too much (I'm doing this now with my female rouge) but I know a lot of RPGs have a secret super hard boss or something. I fought the dragon in the kokari wilds (trying not to be spoilery here) and then the spectral dragon in Awakenings but what I'm baisically asking is:

Are there any hard sidequest/hidden bosses that the average player wouldn't bother with/know about?

I've had this game since it came out. I even have it's expansion, but I've never started. I tried the other night and I ran into the same issue I ran into with oblivion; I was overwhelmed.

Any suggestions? I like beating things, to death. Viciously.

Thanks!

RoninChaos said:
I've had this game since it came out. I even have it's expansion, but I've never started. I tried the other night and I ran into the same issue I ran into with oblivion; I was overwhelmed.

Thanks!

Don't play it like an action game. All about pause issue commands pause etc...

It's either that or run with 2 mages in your party...

kai3345

Banned
RoninChaos said:

Thanks!
About what? What class to pick? They're all useful classes, the trick is to spend your skill points right and balance out your party.

RoninChaos said:

Thanks!

I had a similar issue and gave up on it quickly, don't be like me!

kai3345 said:
I feel like I should know this considering how much of a fan of this game I am, but I never really went into the sidequests too much (I'm doing this now with my female rouge) but I know a lot of RPGs have a secret super hard boss or something. I fought the dragon in the kokari wilds (trying not to be spoilery here) and then the spectral dragon in Awakenings but what I'm baisically asking is:

Are there any hard sidequest/hidden bosses that the average player wouldn't bother with/know about?

The only other thing I think would fit would be the fight with the lich in Denerim that was an homage to a really hard (or easy if you knew how to do it) fight in Baldur's Gate 2.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
The only other thing I think would fit would be the fight with the lich in Denerim that was an homage to a really hard (or easy if you knew how to do it) fight in Baldur's Gate 2.

You mean Unbound?

That was supposed to be hard?

*played as a mage*

Zeliard

I started up a game of this fairly recently with a Dwarf Noble Rogue, and this time with a series of various mods/tweaks/etc (whereas before I had played it on release as vanilla with a texture pack), and the difference is unsurprisingly significant.

I enjoyed the game before but much more now that so many things have been changed or improved. Just the added dialogue alone that sparks up between your team on your travels makes a big difference.

Ricker

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:

Yeah that`s the one I was going to say...on normal I wasn`t even coming close to beating that guy,heck I had to be careful on easy hehe... so is Witch Hunt fixed or not yet? anyone tried it?

Rufus

Relix said:
How's Witch Hunt?
Recycled environments (from other DLC and Awakening, so they may be new for some, it still doesn't matter), neat characters and interplay between them, OK boss fight, shit five minute 'pay-off' at the end that might as well have been the entire thing, because that's what you came for. It will not answer any of the questions regarding Morrigan, so with that in mind, it's up to you. The interaction with her can lead to closure regarding her relationship to your character though, but it's not like you haven't had an 'end' already.
You can kill her, go with her, or just let her leave. None of it will matter anyway, since DA2 doesn't really pick up where you leave off, so...

Effect

So it's not a final ending to the Origins story then? So you aren't worse off just ending things via the original games ending?

Edit: Nevermind. Post was edited and answered question while I was posting.

Rufus

You'll be as clueless about her motives as you are after Origins' ending.

You find out about the purpose of the mirror that was part of the Dalish origin though, I'm sure we all wanted to know more about that thing, right?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Rufus said:
Recycled environments (from other DLC and Awakening, so they may be new for some, it still doesn't matter), neat characters and interplay between them, OK boss fight, shit five minute 'pay-off' at the end that might as well have been the entire thing, because that's what you came for. It will not answer any of the questions regarding Morrigan, so with that in mind, it's up to you. The interaction with her can lead to closure regarding her relationship to your character though, but it's not like you haven't had an 'end' already.
You can kill her, go with her, or just let her leave. None of it will matter anyway, since DA2 doesn't really pick up where you leave off, so...

Meh. I am at the final boss battle of Awakening so I was looking for more DA fix. Seems like it doesn't cut it =/

Nemesis_

Mar said:
Excellent. It provided the closure I was longing for ever since finishing the original game.

Most people will tell you otherwise, though. Personally I found it disappointing and lacking proper closure that I am sure won't be touched upon in Dragon Age 2. Similarly, it read my outcome incorrectly which also sucked.

Palmer_v1

I played this game a bit when it came out, but never got far. I want to start playing it again from the start and was wondering what the best mods were?

tokkun

kai3345 said:
Its a nice ending. But from a gameplay standpoint, its pretty shit.

The ending is also pretty shit. Especially if you didn't choose not to accept
the dark pact
. It basically invalidates the entire purpose of
your character sacrificing his/Allister's life.
And there really is no more closure on the plot point than there was in the original ending.

kai3345

Banned
tokkun said:
The ending is also pretty shit. Especially if you didn't choose not to accept
the dark pact
. It basically invalidates the entire purpose of
your character sacrificing his/Allister's life.
And there really is no more closure on the plot point than there was in the original ending.

In regards to the pact, if your character is who you picked, then that's your ending. I don't understand what people don't understand about that. People were whining how Awakening retconned your character
dying
when it didn't. Could they have let you create a new Warden if your MC
died
and kept your choices? Probably, but it wouldn't have made that big of a difference anyway.

KAL2006

Banned
OK I am thinking of jumping in to this game, anything I should know before I start

Some questions
-Is it easy to get into, I never played any WRPGs besides Diablo 2 and Mass Effect series
-What class should I play as
-Is the story any good
-How long is it
-Are there any mods I should play with or should I play it without mods

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KAL2006 said:
OK I am thinking of jumping in to this game, anything I should know before I start

Some questions
-Is it easy to get into, I never played any WRPGs besides Diablo 2 and Mass Effect series

I think so. Just get used to pausing frequently to issue orders individually to your party. I think it's the easiest game of its type to get into.

Doesn't really matter. You have full control of your party and you can easily party members of each class. Just play the race/class combination that looks interesting to you.

-Is the story any good

I think it's good. It's relatively generic, but you can tell they spent a lot of time crafting the world. It's not super-original, but it's well done and very polished. There is definitely some interesting stuff going on.

-How long is it

Probably anywhere between 30 - 70 hours depending on how slow you take it.

You definitely don't need mods. There are some good high-res texture packs out there, but the game is more than fine in its original state. It's really quite polished. Look into mods after playing through the game in my opinion.

Replies in bold.

KAL2006

Banned
Zefah said:
Replies in bold.

Thanks, I need a long RPG to get into, I have nothing to do before I go to bed so this should keep me occupied instead of reading GAF :lol
will now go on to start the game

Zefah said:
Replies in bold.

I second those replies.

KAL2006 said:
Thanks, I need a long RPG to get into, I have nothing to do before I go to bed so this should keep me occupied instead of reading GAF :lol
will now go on to start the game

Seriously, just playing through all six origins will keep you occupied for a while.

kai3345

Banned
lastplayed said:
I second those replies.

Seriously, just playing through all six origins will keep you occupied for a while.
I still need to play the rest of the origins.

I've only done City Elf, Dalish and Human. With as big of a Dragon Age whore that i am, I'm surprised I haven't done the rest already.

Crazetex

I need to replay this, someday. Terrific game.

I played with just a gay Alistair mod, a no-lasting-spell-effects mod and a no-helmets mod. It was enough for me.

Shawsie64

Banned
KAL2006 said:

Some questions
-Is the story any good
-How long is it

- very easy, first RPG i played since vampire the masquerade.

- Up to you :)

- Loved the story

- Dont remember exactly how many hours but i remember it being about 25

- As far as i know there is some texture packs but i haven't been keeping up with the scene

sweetvar26 said:
The Ultimate Edition is out. Anyone bought it yet?

Is the DLC all codes or did they include it on the disc? What about Awakening?

On disc. 2 DVDs are included for PC/Xbox, 1 bluray on PS3. There is one DLC code you have to enter to authenticate them on PC.

The only online 'requirement' is on PC only, to register the DLC code
here on social and then you need to login once in the game so the game
knows your account has these registered. After that you can play
offline if you wish. This is necessary so the DLCs get added correctly
to your account, and ensure in the future should you ever need to
re-install the DLCs you can grab them from your entitlements page here,
as with any other DLC so far on PC.

For consoles, there is NO online requirement. You play from the discs.
We are including a code to give you Blood Dragon Armor on ME2, like we
did whe Origins first came out - which you redeem here on social if you
want - but it has no impact on your DA game.

Top Bottom