• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I can kill wolves now :)

I'm rolling with Morrigan, Wynne, and Lileana (I think that's her name). I have it set so Morrigan basically walks into a room and does her Tempest shit and then freezes, shocks, and disorients everyone to hell :lol I love it. She'll freeze someone and I'll walk up to them and give them a good smack with my shield and they'll shatter to pieces! Meanwhile, Wynne is in the background healing everyone and giving me extra defense/offensive spells. Her Stone Fist is pretty cool. I keep Lileana around for her sexy accent, trap detection, and lock picking skills. She has some pretty good armour and weapons now (duel wield) so she can hold her own on the battlefield too.

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah.

But something just occurred to me. I had TWO of my Warden characters to choose from, one was a higher level with ten hours of playtime, the other was lower with almost forty hours of playtime.

I think when you import a character into Awakening, it "starts fresh" and doesn't really take any notice of the decision you made at the end of Origins.

As such, since I seem to have used my Awakening character in Witch Hunt, the game assumed I didn't complete Origins and as such the dialog was tailored that way.

If anyone knows anything about having some dialogue with Morrigan in terms of you actually doing the ritual, please let me know. >_>
Arggh, this just happened to me.

Really annoying.

on this page, I went from:

New DLC?

to

NEW DLC WITH MORRIGAN AND PEOPLE LIKE IT!!!!

to

BOUGHT AND INSTALLED BITCH

to

WAIT.... 1.5 HOURS?

to

WHAT???? DOESN'T READ MY DECISIONS RIGHT??? ARGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHG

:(

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Bioware sure screwed up with bug testing on this one... Usually I don't get BW stuff day one for this very reason, but I used an Awakening character (who came from an imported Epilogue save from Origins) and it registered all of my decisions from both DAO and Awakening properly -
romanced Morrigan + ring mentioned, killed Flemeth, completed the Dark Ritual, and Vigil's Keep thriving
. *knocks on wood*

Despite the length, I enjoyed it. Ariane and Finn were fun party members with a lot of good banter and it was great having Dog back (lucky mabari, read his codex entry :p ). There were plenty of entertaining easter eggs in the library books and background dialogue as well. Combat was ridiculously easy, but I felt the same about the fights throughout Awakening so I didn't fret too much over that.

I definitely agree that the ending was abrupt (and ignored your party and Dog), but since I played a character build that this DLC was clearly targeting, I actually got a decent conclusion. The other 2 options (
here's a gift but the credits roll before you actually get to see what it is! random stabbity death!
were really lame in comparison...

I really enjoyed the overall DAO story and wish that this final DLC could have been more extensive (apparently the content was culled from a larger project that's no longer happening). I would love to see the decisions made in Witch Hunt have some sort of impact on future games - if the
Old God child
will play a large role in the story, then having a Warden and Morrigan cameo or at least a mention would be cool - but the lack of a post-game save makes that very unlikely. =/

Torquill

Finished it, but it ends and there's no save. So how the heck do I claim my Vestment of the Seer?

Also...
I don't mind them leaving it unanswered, except they marketed it as giving answers. That rubs me the wrong way.

_Xenon_

Banned
meltingparappa said:
Did you import your original character from Origins or your (same) character from the end of Awakenings? Maybe that has something to do with it?
I don't have awakenings DLC, only imported my character from the main campaign (DA:Origins).

For some reason, apparently I don't have a completed save from Dragon Age Awakenings. My last save file on there is right before the final boss. Since nothing REAAAALLY mattered so much in Awakenings, I imported the completed save from my Origins playthrough and it did a good job of recognizing all my choices.

Overall, Witch Hunt was exactly what I hoped it would be after my expectations were tempered. The trailer really does hype it up, when it does just feel like "more dragon age". It definitely feels less satisfying than Awakenings though, not just because of the length but also the side characters have an implied arc that they never really follow through on. Also some people love the
dog
companion, but I'd personally rather have a character I could talk to.

The stuff was Morrigan was indeed as brief as everyone has mentioned, but I loved it.
Going through the portal with her felt like the epilogue that I wanted in the main game, but never had. Presumably we'll never see Morrigan or the main character ever again, but as a way to tie off that loose end, the idea that they go into some crazy mirror into god knows where in order to set up a main character in the sequel feels like a decent bit of closure.

I do recognize though, that if you played as a female character, or didn't do the optional extra bit with Morrigan at the end of Origins, this is probably the most pointless expansion ever made.

Between this and the Shadowbroker DLC, the latter is obviously the beefier, more satisfying one, but ridiculous price aside, I was pleasantly surprised at both. I really wish this was part of the main game though, and not spaced out months at a time. Maybe I should be a smarter consumer and wait for a game of the year edition which may or may not actually happen, or just get over my "must-see-all-story-or-else-my-save-won't-recognize-that-it-happened-in-the-sequel OCD".

Speaking of which, time to continue my Witcher playthrough. I am too much of a sucker for sequels with imported saves.

kai3345

Banned
Just finished Witch Hunt. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was the perfect end to Dragon Age (for my character at least)

Going back to some of the old locations and seeing how they'd changed was great. The whole add on was like one big nostalgia trip. Plus
Morrigan reclaiming her love for my char and them walking into the mirror together
just made the whole story of the whole game come full circle and felt like the absolute perfect ending. I loved it.

Of course, the ending would probably be nowhere near as perfect if you rolled a female or you romanced Leliana or Zeveran.

The two new characters were great, but underdeveloped. Maybe they'll be in Dragon Age 2.

From a gameplay perspective it was a tad on the easy side, but the Mage Tower Basement dungeon was easily the most fun.

The endboss was fun, but came out of nowhere and was absolutely stupid for the story.

The ending definitely hinted at Morrigan's involvement with the plot of Dragon Age 2, which I am all for. She and Alistar were by far the best characters in the game.

Anyway, assuming you rolled a male warden who romanced Morrigan, this is a great add on.

If you didn't, then I'd probably pass.

They are apparently working on "fixing" the continuity "bug":

Hi everyone,
Thank you to everyone who has downloaded the Witch Hunt DLC pack. As everyone here knows, Dragon Age: Origins is a huge game with a lot of choices for each individual player. Unfortunately, there is a continuity bug that is causing issues with a subset of our player base. While this issue is not affecting the majority of people, it is still a significant issue that we will address. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing anyone.

Clearly, it was our responsibility to catch this sort of issue in the interaction of Witch Hunt with Dragon Age: Origins.
Our team is doing everything we can to fix this in a timely manner so those who are affected can go back to enjoying Witch Hunt as soon as possible.

Stay tuned here for an update soon and thank you for your continued support.
Thanks,
Mark Darrah
Executive Producer

So from what I gathered, you should hold off on playing this unless you've done a specific set of choices (romance Morrigan, refuse dark ritual? Is that correct?). Everyone else stay away.

We're also investigating the fact that a save game is not being properly created at the end of Witch Hunt.

Or everyone stay away until this part is fixed.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...Official-Witch-Hunt-DLC-update-4730386-1.html

kai3345

Banned
HadesGigas said:
They are apparently working on "fixing" the continuity "bug":

So from what I gathered, you should hold off on playing this unless you've done a specific set of choices (romance Morrigan, refuse dark ritual? Is that correct?). Everyone else stay away.

Or everyone stay away until this part is fixed.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...Official-Witch-Hunt-DLC-update-4730386-1.html
I also heard they're working on fixing the fact that the game doesn't make a save to import into DA2, but I don't have a source on that.

I didn't like the ending at all

BITCH! get back here and answer my damn questions was my thought when i watched Morrigan walk through the mirror, pretty sure we haven't seen the last of her, my prediction is that she returns in Dragon Age 2 without aging a day

luxarific

Nork unification denier
kai3345 said:
JShe and Alistar were by far the best characters in the game.

I hope we see both of them again as well, particularly Alistair <3 <3 <3. (Though he's probably all bitter given that
he never really wanted to be king and he's married to annoying Anora.
)

evangd007

mercenar1e said:
I didn't like the ending at all

BITCH! get back here and answer my damn questions was my thought when i watched Morrigan walk through the mirror, pretty sure we haven't seen the last of her, my prediction is that she returns in Dragon Age 2 without aging a day

Who wants to bet that the "Flemeth" in DA2 is actually Morrigan profiting off her mother's name?

kai3345 said:
Does the
I came here to kill you
dialog option actually
let you kill her
?

There is a bit that comes up saying (Attack), in which you plunge your sword straight through her and she falls back into the portal. Pretty "Woah" moment actually :lol

kai3345

Banned
evangd007 said:
Who wants to bet that the "Flemeth" in DA2 is actually Morrigan profiting off her mother's name?
This is what I thought as well, no way
that old hag Flemeth looks that good

(Though he's probably all bitter given that he never
really wanted to be king and he's married to annoying Anora.)
Also considering the fact that hes dead

kai3345

Banned
luxarific said:
I haven't yet
killed him. Having him get really pissed off at me on my "recruit Loghain" run was bad enough. ;_;
I know :( but nobody fucks with the Grey Warden, so I had to let everyone know by making an example out of him

And then later
Justice and Sigrun

Mest30

Banned
Alright I need some help. I'm in Orzammar and trying to get the finger bone token. I know a thug in the slums house in the back of Dust Town is suppose to have the token but I can't get it. When the thugs first showed up, I had the option to persuade or intimidate but failed so I just killed the leader. After killing him I accidentally went outside then when right back inside the slums house and everything is gone. The game then auto saved. Now I cant get the thugs to return. I've left Orzammar altogether and did side quests and come back and still nothing. Am I fucked? I have 22 hours in and don't want to not be able to finish because of some fucking glitch. BTW, it's the PS3 version. Someone help, please...

Puddles

Banned
I need to get back into this game. I put in 12-15 hours or so and finished two of the main quests, but then I kinda lost interest and migrated to other games. The Fade section kinda did it for me.

kai3345

Banned
Puddles said:
I need to get back into this game. I put in 12-15 hours or so and finished two of the main quests, but then I kinda lost interest and migrated to other games. The Fade section kinda did it for me.
Just use a guide through the fade section and the rest of the game is amazing

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Puddles said:
If you're playing the PC version just download a mod and that lets you skip the section.

So my character is level 11, and I've supposedly unlocked the Templar specialization via Alistair, yet I see no option to use a "specialization point" that I was apparently supposed to get at level 7.

W
T
F.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
kai3345 said:
I know :( but nobody fucks with the Grey Warden, so I had to let everyone know by making an example out of him

And then later
Justice and Sigrun

You can make an example out of
Justice and Sigrun
? Huh, did not know that. Man, I have sunk so many hours into DA and there's so much of the game I haven't experienced yet. Best value for my gaming dollar ever.

kai3345

Banned
luxarific said:
You can make an example out of
Justice and Sigrun
? Huh, did not know that. Man, I have sunk so many hours into DA and there's so much of the game I haven't experienced yet. Best value for my gaming dollar ever.
Yeah. If you choose to side with
The Architect
they both turn on you and try to kill you.

kai3345

Banned
SFGamer said:
Just got done with the Fade, almost quit the game. Damn that was horrible.
I dont understand why people don't use a guide, even after halfway through the section, they realize that it sucks.

Ricker

RSTEIN said:
Am I crazy for actually liking the Fade part? :lol

I liked it also,it was just a little too long though....

I`m loving Witch Hunt so far,imported my level 31 Rogue in there but i`m stuck for now,i`m missing 2 of the 4 items(lueur...playing in french) are they all in the Cadash Thaig or what?(I got the other thing I need from the ruins...

Fucking BioWare

Let me start by saying that I really enjoyed Witch Hunt at first, in fact it was probably the only DLC outside of Warden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner that was worth the price. That's until I got to the possibly glitched end.
I did the fucking ritual, yet according to Morrigan I didn't

Is this because I imported my Awakenings character? A disclaimer might fucking help. I just wasted a good two hours.

kai3345

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Fucking BioWare

Let me start by saying that I really enjoyed Witch Hunt at first, in fact it was probably the only DLC outside of Warden's Keep and The Stone Prisoner that was worth the price. That's until I got to the possibly glitched end.
I did the fucking ritual, yet according to Morrigan I didn't

Is this because I imported my Awakenings character? A disclaimer might fucking help. I just wasted a good two hours.
Theyre fixing the issue

kai3345 said:
Theyre fixing the issue

Quick question. I was tempted to restart Witch Hunt importing my DA:O end save and not my Awakenings end save. Do I still get the bugged ending? If so, I'll wait for the fix. I put at least 160 hours into DA:O and Awakenings combined, so it's disappointing to see this happen.

kai3345

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Quick question. I was tempted to restart Witch Hunt importing my DA:O end save and not my Awakenings end save. Do I still get the bugged ending? If so, I'll wait for the fix. I put at least 160 hours into DA:O and Awakenings combined, so it's disappointing to see this happen.
I don't know. I imported an Awakenings save (I think, there's a chance it was a GoA save which was imported from an Awakenings save) and all of my choices matched just fine.

So idk if type of save is what causes it or not. But it doesn't hurt to try.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
According to the Dragon Age wiki it seems that saves from Awakenings and golems of amgarrak are bugged. Vanilla DA:O saves should be ok. Apparently it isn't properly making a save file after the completion of Witch Hunt either.

Jokeropia

I played Witch Hunt with my save imported from Golems of Amgarrak, which was imported from Awakening which was imported from Origins and I didn't get the bug. It doesn't make an auto-save, though.
LaserBuddha said:
So my character is level 11, and I've supposedly unlocked the Templar specialization via Alistair, yet I see no option to use a "specialization point" that I was apparently supposed to get at level 7.

W
T
F.
You can only use specialization points in the level up screen, so either use a stat boost tome or wait until you level up again.

Jokeropia said:
I played Witch Hunt with my save imported from Golems of Amgarrak, which was imported from Awakening which was imported from Origins and I didn't get the bug. It doesn't make an auto-save, though.
You can only use specialization points in the level up screen, so either use a stat boost tome or wait until you level up again.

Thanks, I was worried for a minute there.

So I hear a hybrid of Templar/Champion is the way to go for a sword-n-board tank. That right?

Mest30

Banned
Mest30 said:
Alright I need some help. I'm in Orzammar and trying to get the finger bone token. I know a thug in the slums house in the back of Dust Town is suppose to have the token but I can't get it. When the thugs first showed up, I had the option to persuade or intimidate but failed so I just killed the leader. After killing him I accidentally went outside then when right back inside the slums house and everything is gone. The game then auto saved. Now I cant get the thugs to return. I've left Orzammar altogether and did side quests and come back and still nothing. Am I fucked? I have 22 hours in and don't want to not be able to finish because of some fucking glitch. BTW, it's the PS3 version. Someone help, please...
Anyone?

Stupid question, but how do I play this Witch Hunt DLC? I downloaded it, booted up an older Awakenings save so that I can travel around the map, but none of the options on the map seem new.

Its been so long since ive played Dragon Age.

Edit: Never mind, it seems to be under "new game"

Ricker

Nobiru said:
Stupid question, but how do I play this Witch Hunt DLC? I downloaded it, booted up an older Awakenings save so that I can travel around the map, but none of the options on the map seem new.

Its been so long since ive played Dragon Age.

Edit: Never mind, it seems to be under "new game"

Yep and you don`t need Awakening,even if you finished it...so I guess we have to wait for a patch that will save the Witch Hunt completion to see what happens inventory wise? because mine didn`t save as well...I only have the auto save before the semi Boss,just before Morrigan

Vamphuntr

So I bought and completed Witch Hunt. It certainly was disappointing. You basically go through parts of 4 previously explored areas. For some reason it didn't take into account my background.
Morrigan told me I rejected her??? I went with the ritual in the main story...
They also didn't explain anything at all. She refused to talk about her motives. I suppose the 7$ was for the new VA? They were hyping it as if it would answer everything about Morrigan and did no such thing. Also about the ending, or was that an ending?
You don't even get to read the book? Is that related to DA 2 or unlocked in the main game?

tokkun

Vamphuntr said:
So I bought and completed Witch Hunt. It certainly was disappointing. You basically go through parts of 4 previously explored areas. For some reason it didn't take into account my background.
Morrigan told me I rejected her??? I went with the ritual in the main story...
They also didn't explain anything at all. She refused to talk about her motives. I suppose the 7$ was for the new VA? They were hyping it as if it would answer everything about Morrigan and did no such thing. Also about the ending, or was that an ending?
You don't even get to read the book? Is that related to DA 2 or unlocked in the main game?

I've heard that you need to manually select which save file you want to import, because if you just double-click on the profile name it might import a save that takes place prior to the ritual decision point.

It properly remembered that my character had done the Dark Pact path and that I had romanced her character, but even so it was still pretty disappointing and did not provide the closure they promised.

Vamphuntr

tokkun said:
I've heard that you need to manually select which save file you want to import, because if you just double-click on the profile name it might import a save that takes place prior to the ritual decision point.

I chose my Awakening character which had been imported from Origins. Guess it's another ''Pay First'' and we are going to repair it later DA product. Awakenings was a mess too.

Top Bottom