• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

KAL2006 said:
OK I am thinking of jumping in to this game, anything I should know before I start

Some questions
-Is it easy to get into, I never played any WRPGs besides Diablo 2 and Mass Effect series
-What class should I play as
-Is the story any good
-How long is it
-Are there any mods I should play with or should I play it without mods

- Yes, it's very easy to get into. If you've played any party based RPG you'll be right at home. Combat and the UI are all very strait forward.

- Play whatever class you enjoy, but I think most people would agree that the mage class is borderline over powered.

- I enjoyed the story. Where the world takes place and the darkspawn themselves are pretty generic, the plot was solid enough and I thought the NPCs were great. The voice acting and writing for some of the main NPCs that join your party are pretty awesome imo.

- Took me about 60 hrs to beat the first time through doing a good chunk of the sidequests, you could probably beat it in 40 or so.

- You don't necessarily need mods, the vanilla game is pretty polished as is.

Can you read the books before the game?

I want to pick up the GOTY edition, but probably not until december. Is it okay to pick up the books before the game? I don't care about minor spoilers but I don't want major stuff spoiled for me. I don't really know where they take place in the time line

And don't bother posting that the books suck - if I made it through the Elemental novel I can make it through anything

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
K.Jack said:
Detailed Tooltips is what I consider an essential mod.

It's the only way to know what the heck anything really does.
Example:

Default:
ex2.jpg

Detail Mod:
ex1.jpg

HamPster PamPster said:

I want to pick up the GOTY edition, but probably not until december. Is it okay to pick up the books before the game? I don't care about minor spoilers but I don't want major stuff spoiled for me. I don't really know where they take place in the time line

And don't bother posting that the books suck - if I made it through the Elemental novel I can make it through anything

They both take place before Origins, and give you backstory on some important characters from origins like Duncan and Loghain.

I just got the Ultimate Edition last night. I beat the game last year but now I will need to play the rest of the DLC's and Awakening. Never bought any DLC until now, glad I waited.

HamPster PamPster said:

Yeah, both take place before the game and provide some good backstory, but I read them after playing the game, someone new to the franchise might not appreciate the history and all the little references as much...

I think The Stolen Throne is the better one, it presents Loghain as more of a complex character rather than the one dimensional villain in the game. The Calling is a bit weak though, it felt like it was thrown together just to give some background to the Awakening expansion.

DLC on sale on XBLM

The Golems of Amgarrak: 200 Microsoft Points ($2.50)
Leliana's Song: 280 Microsoft Points ($3.50)
The Darkspawn Chronicles: 200 Microsoft Points ($2.50)

Crazetex

This game made me so happy. If only Alistair was real. DA:O is probably the most visceral experience I've had with a videogame.

kai3345

Banned
HadesGigas said:
DLC on sale on XBLM

The Golems of Amgarrak: 200 Microsoft Points ($2.50)
Leliana's Song: 280 Microsoft Points ($3.50)
The Darkspawn Chronicles: 200 Microsoft Points ($2.50)
o shit

snagged Leliana's Song

Im assuming its been posted but can't be bothered to go back a page.

Can't beleive they forget to include Return to Ostagar on the ultimate disc in europe, screw phoning EA up just to get access to something that should have been on the sodding disc, 100% certain you have to phone a premium rate number as well...

kyo_daikun said:
Im assuming its been posted but can't be bothered to go back a page.

Can't beleive they forget to include Return to Ostagar on the ultimate disc in europe, screw phoning EA up just to get access to something that should have been on the sodding disc, 100% certain you have to phone a premium rate number as well...

I have the North American version on my desk right now, haven't opened it yet but it does say that it includes Return to Ostagar.

kai3345

Banned
Just played through Leliana's Song in one sitting. So awesome.

I had this weird bug after I killed the final boss where it played each cutscene twice.

In terms of the DLC I played I would rank it

Golems > Shale > Leliana > Witch Hunt > Awakening

Let´s see what suggestions the Dragon Age wizards on the board come up with.

The game has me in the dwarf country, think the name is Orzammar (sp?) Sided with the conservationist bloodsucker, Lord Pyral Harrowmont. Don´t give a sh!t for any of the 2 candidates but since im playing kind of dirty, I was expecting that maybe the chance to kill Behelen would present itself if sided with his opposition. The party in use in this place is a Warrior, Wyne, Leliana and for this segment opted to use Ogren instead o Alistair.

Currently at the Deep Roads stage of this quest. Playing in normal difficulty the only way i seem to make progress is luring the Dark Spawn units in the smallest groups possible. While playing with this strategy i keep thinking that it feels kind of lazy on my behalf to not come with another strategy. For example, last time in the place with Branka´s log, the spider queen was giving it to me hard and without compassion. Manage to kill her by luck, equipped some fire arrows, isolated her and for some reason she became stock, so I proceeded to screw her with arrows, very, very satisfying. Near there lies a Dark Spawn emissary, now, this crafty f*cker (crafty … crafty basterd) well as soon as he sees me summons a spell that immobilize my fellow dudes and slowly sucks every once of life out of them, like a non working house wife to a husband. The emissary keeps healing himself and it has hired some spiders to cover his ass and also to probably have hot insect sex with them.

So if you please could share some knowledge, you’re welcome to it. Also what´s the name of the sucking spell (in the game). Also should I substitute Ogren, the reason I keep him around is for plot reasons.

DSN2K

right is this game worth rebuying on PC, Played xbox version loads....played Awakening and Witch Hunt but not single other addon, will the PC version + mods + addons be worth the investment ?

Ventrue said:
There's a point where you're asked to go to Redcliffe to strategise.
You mean the Landsmeeting? Too bad for me i guess, i havent gone there yet but i can´t progress any more with the remaining side quests, came to a point in wich i don´t know how. I made the mistake and took the "love letters quest" from the interested parties, seems to be the hardwst one to complete. Of the 12 letters i only have 10, cant acces the other misions until i complete it. Too bad theres no option to quit a quest and select another one.

Ventrue

Refreshment.01 said:
You mean the Landsmeeting? Too bad for me i guess, i havent gone there yet but i can´t progress any more with the remaining side quests, came to a point in wich i don´t know how. I made the mistake and took the "love letters quest" from the interested parties, seems to be the hardwst one to complete. Of the 12 letters i only have 10, cant acces the other misions until i complete it. Too bad theres no option to quit a quest and select another one.

No, it's the next stage after that, the Landsmeet is in Denerim.

snaildog

Refreshment.01 said:
Do you just mean that you want to clear all the quests in your journal in an OCD way? If not, you know you can just change the Active Quest right, and don't have to finish them all?

kai3345

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
why not just change your active quest

Thanks for the answers.
kai3345 said:
why not just change your active quest
The barttender doesn´t give more quests until the selected one is completed, at least as far as i know. I could use a guide to fetch does love letters but im trying to avoid doing that.

P90

DSN2K said:
right is this game worth rebuying on PC, Played xbox version loads....played Awakening and Witch Hunt but not single other addon, will the PC version + mods + addons be worth the investment ?

I can't answer the question about rebuying, but I thought Leliana's Song was fun.

Has anyone had issues installing the JB Textures mod? I downloaded them over the weekend, but every time I tried to extract the .rar it said the file was bad/corrupted.

Am I doing something wrong?

KePoW

Banned
Clever Pun said:
Has anyone had issues installing the JB Textures mod? I downloaded them over the weekend, but every time I tried to extract the .rar it said the file was bad/corrupted.

Probably just a bad download, since it's a huge file. Try re-downloading.

KePoW said:
Probably just a bad download, since it's a huge file. Try re-downloading.

I downloaded it twice, from different servers, to no avail. I guess I can keep trying if that's the only explanation. Thanks

Clever Pun said:

I'm getting the same thing, it says it's "broken".

got Origins in the mail today from GF. gonna try it out tonight.

a friend has ultimate edition, and says he can let me borrow his disc, install data, and then i can use my Origins disc and still have access to DLC. is that legit? it would seem common sense for them to put a disc check in the UE data...

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
got Origins in the mail today from GF. gonna try it out tonight.

a friend has ultimate edition, and says he can let me borrow his disc, install data, and then i can use my Origins disc and still have access to DLC. is that legit? it would seem common sense for them to put a disc check in the UE data...

The DLC is tied to your Bioware account (there's an activation code included with the game). Not sure that just swapping discs will work.

Gully State said:
The DLC is tied to your Bioware account (there's an activation code included with the game). Not sure that just swapping discs will work.

GROSS. you have to make a bioware account just to use the DLC on the disc? sounds like something EA would do... oh wait...

mjc

I just got a copy of the Ultimate Edition. I played a good chunk of Origins back when it came out but I got frustrated with it. My primary reason was that as a Mage, I kept drawing all the aggro even when I set my allies to defend me. I'm thinking of rolling with a warrior class this time around so I can handle business myself. Would that be wise? What's the general consensus as to the best class?

kai3345

Banned
mjc said:
I just got a copy of the Ultimate Edition. I played a good chunk of Origins back when it came out but I got frustrated with it. My primary reason was that as a Mage, I kept drawing all the aggro even when I set my allies to defend me. I'm thinking of rolling with a warrior class this time around so I can handle business myself. Would that be wise? What's the general consensus as to the best class?
Mage

Mr Jared

mjc said:

Rogue is so incredibly broken by the end of the game that you really can't go wrong. Without spoilers, once you get a healing Mage in your party, set their tactics up so that's pretty much all you do, grab a Tank (Alistair is great at this), another DPS and you're set.

If you go the backstab route, your dex will be so out of bounds that nothing can even touch you. If you go archery, you'll be criting in the thousands. Either way, you're pretty much unstoppable.

Spike6663

I just picked up the Ultimate Edition having never played this. I've got a few questions though...

What's the best order to play the DLC in and are there any particular levels/stages at which you should approach each one? (ie. some awesome gear available early on).

Also, does anyone have any advice on the optimum way to dress and arm your companions.

Any other general tips would be nice too - I've already worked out it's best to have a Rogue in your party at all times.

Spike6663 said:
I just picked up the Ultimate Edition having never played this. I've got a few questions though...

What's the best order to play the DLC in and are there any particular levels/stages at which you should approach each one? (ie. some awesome gear available early on).

Also, does anyone have any advice on the optimum way to dress and arm your companions.

Any other general tips would be nice too - I've already worked out it's best to have a Rogue in your party at all times.

This seems like a good order, done as soon as you can:

Warden's Keep - Place to store your excess loot, can get at least one nice piece of armor.
Stone Prisoner - Shale, a party member.
Return to Ostegar - Several nice weapons and a good set of armor.

I haven't played Lelianna's Song, and don't even know how playing it would work since it's a flashback thing. Regardless you probably shouldn't play until you've gotten to know her a good deal and found out about her past. Also haven't played Golems of Amgarrak.

Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronicles are post ending things. As is Awakening, obviously.

kai3345

Banned
Can I register a CD key on BioWare's site and have access to a download version? My new computer doesn't have a disc drive.

If not, do any DD services have this games (Either vanilla or UE) on teh cheap?

I may just have to wait for steam's xmas sale

Wallach

kai3345 said:
Can I register a CD key on BioWare's site and have access to a download version? My new computer doesn't have a disc drive.

If not, do any DD services have this games (Either vanilla or UE) on teh cheap?

I may just have to wait for steam's xmas sale

You can't download it from BioWare's site after registering, no.

I want to say the ultimate edition was on sale recently at GamersGate (for $30?) but that sale is probably over now. Your best bet might just be to wait for a sale later this month, as I'm sure at least one of the DD services will have it.

Wallach said:
You can't download it from BioWare's site after registering, no.

I want to say the ultimate edition was on sale recently at GamersGate (for $30?) but that sale is probably over now. Your best bet might just be to wait for a sale later this month, as I'm sure at least one of the DD services will have it.

Is this a good deal? I'd rather buy it now for 40$ than wait till my vacation is over to save 10$. I just couldn't enjoy the game on the 360 when I know I could have a much better experience on my PC.

Felix Lighter said:
It's the best current price according to Google Shopping.

Just saw it on amazon for the same price but DD which is better IMO :D

except for this: Download time: 6 hours - 19 hours on broadband

kai3345 said:
hmm, is this a limited time sale?

If not, I may just wait and see if steam drops the price during christmas.

I bet they just wanted to match newegg

kai3345

Banned
cuevas said:
Just saw it on amazon for the same price but DD which is better IMO :D

except for this: Download time: 6 hours - 19 hours on broadband
hmm, is this a limited time sale?

If not, I may just wait and see if steam drops the price during christmas.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm visiting BioWare today in Edmonton for Dragon Age II. If anyone has any questions concerning Dragon Age II or even the original, please let me know via PM and I'll have them answered for you.

Caspel said:
I'm visiting BioWare today in Edmonton for Dragon Age II. If anyone has any questions concerning Dragon Age II or even the original, please let me know via PM and I'll have them answered for you.

Will the sex scenes be better ?

vocab

prodystopian said:
Does anyone happen to have a 6850 and play this on PC? I can't seem to find good benchmarks for this game with that card.

It will run 1080P maxed out no problem. I have a 5850, and a 6850 is basically a little bit slower than the 5850. Dragon Age is an easy game to run. There's drops in frames on certain particle effects like corpse explosion.

Caspel said:

Why haven't we seen anything about the PC version?

Top Bottom