• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

quick question I have dragon age ultimate edition. 20 plus hours into the game I lose my saves. So I was wondering if I could start a new game in Awakening and then take that character back to origins.

And does Awakening have major spoilers for Origins thanks.

kai3345

Banned
No you cannot take your character back into origins as it takes place after Origins.

And Yes it spoils a number of things from Origins

RedSwirl

So I'm stuck at the Hurlock Omega, which is a boss-level character that appears in a random battle.

Whether or not I split everyone up to avoid his Hadoken explosion thing, my mages either get killed by it or swarmed by the lesser Hurlocks when I try to focus on killing the Omega. Keeping them focused on Alistar with threaten doesn't seem to work. This could end up being the third time I've had to turn the game down to easy, then back up to Normal in order to progress.

soldat7

Aha! The game works like a champ on my laptop; I hope DA2 runs on it! I'm glad I gave this game a second chance (played a few hours of the 360 version.)

One problem: I've put about 10 hours into the game and my guy looks like a douche. Anyway to change his face?

kai3345

Banned
soldat7 said:
Aha! The game works like a champ on my laptop; I hope DA2 runs on it! I'm glad I gave this game a second chance (played a few hours of the 360 version.)

One problem: I've put about 10 hours into the game and my guy looks like a douche. Anyway to change his face?
Since youre playing on PC im sure theres some sort of mod that will let you.

Jubs

Think I might have screwed up. I dove into the game wanting to be a warrior tank, and then the game gives me Alistair as my first party member, a damn warrior tank :lol. I keep reading about how Alistair is an awesome tank. Is he better than a player-created tank?

Jubs said:
Think I might have screwed up. I dove into the game wanting to be a warrior tank, and then the game gives me Alistair as my first party member, a damn warrior tank :lol. I keep reading about how Alistair is an awesome tank. Is he better than a player-created tank?

Nope. But that just means Alistair won't feature much in your party. :p

kai3345

Banned
Jubs said:
I'm already itching to get rid of him for someone else, but I do like his wit.
IF youre on PC, do a respec mod and make him a 2H warrior or something.

If youre on consoles, just start pumping him with 2H points as early as possible. Yeah, he'll suck for a bit, but he'll eventually get there.

Jubs

kai3345 said:
IF youre on PC, do a respec mod and make him a 2H warrior or something.

If youre on consoles, just start pumping him with 2H points as early as possible. Yeah, he'll suck for a bit, but he'll eventually get there.

I am playing on PC. It's disappointing that there isn't a respec option already in the game. At least a respec merchant or something. Thank you for telling me about the respec mod though, very helpful.

One thing I don't like so far is how lock-picking is linked via skills. It's taking a while to level up in this game, and there are way too many valuable skills to get for a rogue in lieu of pouring points into lock-picking. I wish it was linked to attributes instead, like cunning or something. I walked by way too many locked chests that I couldn't open.

Ugh. I decided to do a new playthrough with a brand new character. A female city elf rogue, but I made the horrible mistake of picking "violent" for her voice. Oh my god. I've just left Lothering and I'm already about to start over. I'm so sick of hearing "Can I buy you a ladder? So you can GET OFF MY BACK??" multiple times per battle.

Which DLC's should I get? I've heard Leliana's Song is quite good. Also, Witch Hunt and Golems of Amgarrak both tie into Dragon Age 2, or so I've heard. And of course, I'll get Awakening once I finish the campaign. Any other DLC's I should get? Any of these you guys advise against getting? Or are these my best bets?

Also, does EA/Bioware ever do sales for the PC stuff? Think there might be a DLC sale closer to DA2?

rogue74

Jubs said:
I am playing on PC. It's disappointing that there isn't a respec option already in the game. At least a respec merchant or something. Thank you for telling me about the respec mod though, very helpful.

One thing I don't like so far is how lock-picking is linked via skills. It's taking a while to level up in this game, and there are way too many valuable skills to get for a rogue in lieu of pouring points into lock-picking. I wish it was linked to attributes instead, like cunning or something. I walked by way too many locked chests that I couldn't open.

There is very little worth getting in those locked chests IIRC, so I wouldn't sweat it.

kai3345

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Which DLC's should I get? I've heard Leliana's Song is quite good. Also, Witch Hunt and Golems of Amgarrak both tie into Dragon Age 2, or so I've heard. And of course, I'll get Awakening once I finish the campaign. Any other DLC's I should get? Any of these you guys advise against getting? Or are these my best bets?

Also, does EA/Bioware ever do sales for the PC stuff? Think there might be a DLC sale closer to DA2?
Leliana's Song is good obviously if you like the character. Its a fun little 2 dungeon quest.

Golems does not tie into Dragon Age 2 (at least to my knowledge) but its focused more on the gameplay than the story. What story is there is fairly interesting, most of it being told through audio logs found throughout the dungeon.

Witch Hunt is fun but uses recycled locations. The new characters have some funny banter, but its a shame that they weren't developed. Witch Hunt isn't anything too crazy or new in terms of gameplay but it provides some nice closure to the Dragon Age story (assuming you are a male character who romanced Morrigan) and ties into Dragon Age 2. It also features a new enemy from DA2 as a boss. WITCH HUNT SHOULD BE PLAYED LAST. AFTER AWAKENINGS AND ANY DLC

Warden's Keep is a fun little DLC that gives you a nice set of armor. It also takes place during the main campaign.

kai3345 said:
Leliana's Song is good obviously if you like the character. Its a fun little 2 dungeon quest.

Golems does not tie into Dragon Age 2 (at least to my knowledge) but its focused more on the gameplay than the story. What story is there is fairly interesting, most of it being told through audio logs found throughout the dungeon.

Witch Hunt is fun but uses recycled locations. The new characters have some funny banter, but its a shame that they weren't developed. Witch Hunt isn't anything too crazy or new in terms of gameplay but it provides some nice closure to the Dragon Age story (assuming you are a male character who romanced Morrigan) and ties into Dragon Age 2. It also features a new enemy from DA2 as a boss. WITCH HUNT SHOULD BE PLAYED LAST. AFTER AWAKENINGS AND ANY DLC

Warden's Keep is a fun little DLC that gives you a nice set of armor. It also takes place during the main campaign.

Hmm, ok. The Dragon Age II entry on the Dragon Age Wiki said that:

Choices from Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, The Golems of Amgarrak, and Witch Hunt will also be imported.

Also, I'm leaning towards romancing Leliana, how does that affect Leliana's Song or Witch Hunt? Just curious.

Rufus

Leliana's song happens before the plot of Origins and sheds light on her immediate past, more or less right before the main character meets her.
As for romancing Leliana over Morrigan and the consequences for With Hunt: there just aren't going to be any lines referencing a relationship with her, as you might expect. Other than that, nothing much is changed. You'll only talk to her once at the end of that, anyway.

jkanownik

Inferno313 said:
Also, I'm leaning towards romancing Leliana, how does that affect Leliana's Song or Witch Hunt? Just curious.

If you want to do that, make sure you read up on how to make that happen. I had Leliana's favor at 100% but was never given the option to seal the deal.

Amazon's $32 trade in value for the ultimate edition killed what little desire I had to go back and clean up the stuff I missed. Towards the end of the game things started to really seem like a grind for me. I played through Leliana's song like 2/3 through the main game and it ended up feeling like a waste because I could have easily bought armor that was better than the reward for finishing that.

I'm skipping Awakenings, Darkspawn and Witch Hunt. Everything ended up feeling too "gamey" to make me care about the characters or decisions made. It didn't help that my guy looked like a douche.

I just wants to spooge a little about this game. I had waited to pick it up till the ultimate edition came out and I wasn't that excited. Something about the way the game looks in videos and the comparisons to MMO's just didn't excite me at all.

I should have known better. I had played and loved Jade Empire which is widely considered one of Bioware's lesser works I guess.

Anyways I've been playing for around 18 hours now and I've barely made a DENT in the game's content, nothing from the ultimate edition, just running through the story and taking my time. The game is so amazing, the dialogue and story are just incredible, I mean I don't know about the over arching story yet but the level of human drama and it's impact are amazing. I've never seen such well developed characters or so many different reasonable and conflicting perspectives on the same situations.

And then there's the party bantor, I've never laughed so hard.

Anyways I just wanted to express my amazement at the awesomeness that is DA.

JohngPR

After losing my 75+ hour save right before I beat it. I finally found the nerve to start the game over. I'm fairly far into the game (maybe about halfway through I guess?). I won't be doing everything like I did last time, but I am having a lot of fun with the game again.

RedSwirl

I'm at the Arch-dizzle. Normal mode. Strategies?

Party:
Elf Rogue Warden
Alistar
Wynne
Morrigan
All around level 17-18 (maybe higher).

kai3345

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I'm at the Arch-dizzle. Normal mode. Strategies?

Party:
Elf Rogue Warden
Alistar
Wynne
Morrigan
All around level 17-18 (maybe higher).
Replace Alistair with Shale if you have him, his Quake move stuns anything around him, really useful for all of the darkspawn adds during the fight. Also USE YOUR ARMIES.

Not many people realize they can summon an army of werewolves to aid them in battle.

IoCaster

Jubs said:

You can use cunning as well for picking locks. A cunning level of ~40 combined with 1 single level of whatever the skill is should get the job done on most of the locked chests in the game.

Hey does this game have any kind of new game plus options and such?

Also does anyone have any suggestions about the best armor for class types and where to get it?

I'm currently rolling a tank in blood dragon armor and trying to get my rogue up to strength to use Cailan's armour.

Is there better tank armor in the game? What should I get for my duel mages, one healer one offense?

Suggestions?

kai3345

Banned
Tylahedras said:
Hey does this game have any kind of new game plus options and such?

Also does anyone have any suggestions about the best armor for class types and where to get it?

I'm currently rolling a tank in blood dragon armor and trying to get my rogue up to strength to use Cailan's armour.

Is there better tank armor in the game? What should I get for my duel mages, one healer one offense?

Suggestions?
wut

TheUsual

Gold Member
Tylahedras said:
So I take it you think it's a bad idea to give my rogue strength?
I would focus on cunning for a Rogue because if your cunning is higher than strength and you have the Lethality talent, cunning will be used in place of strength for determining damage.

kai3345 said:
Yes.

And its an even worse idea to be giving them heavy armor

Does it make a difference that my rogue is basically a duel wielder? I mean I need her to take some hits.

It's seems like such a waste of badass armor.

Tylahedras said:
Does it make a difference that my rogue is basically a duel wielder? I mean I need her to take some hits.

Put some points in dexterity, a rogue's defence is in dodging attacks.

Tylahedras said:

If you play your rogue right, he/she shouldn't be taking damage...

lastplayed said:
Put some points in dexterity, a rogue's defence is in dodging attacks.

but cailen's gloves add to critical chances and his boots add to dodging. I mean it wasn't completely irrational. Now I'm kind of bought in, I already have her strength at 30

Ashodin

Tylahedras said:

Use it on your actual warrior guys. Don't be afraid to not hoard all the gear dude. Even though in Dragon Age they really did put the most work into the plate gear. Every leather/cloth gear looks similar to each other (besides the obvious badass Tevinter mage robes!)

I've just decided to create a fresh Warden to use as my ultimate story line import into Dragon Age 2. My first playthrough was with a dual-wielding human warrior. This time I'm rolling a Dalish Elf warrior who'll spec in sword & board.

From a stat development standpoint, how should I best distribute my points? Obviously focus on STR, but how often should I pump points into DEX & CON?

With my dual-wielder, DEX was equally important to STR.

Patryn

Reluctant-Hero said:
I've just decided to create a fresh Warden to use as my ultimate story line import into Dragon Age 2. My first playthrough was with a dual-wielding human warrior. This time I'm rolling a Dalish Elf warrior who'll spec in sword & board.

From a stat development standpoint, how should I best distribute my points? Obviously focus on STR, but how often should I pump points into DEX & CON?

Just don't plan on your origin having much (or any, really) impact on the game.

The Dalish got screwed, which is a shame, because to me they had the most interesting history and culture of any of the choices.

Jubs

Reluctant-Hero said:

With a sword and board character? Pump up STR to low 40's, so you can wear heavy armor. I think 42 is the highest STR requirement for the heaviest armor. DEX is the second most important stat for a sword and board war imo, since higher DEX means a greater chance to dodge attacks. I'd pump a fair amount of points into CON, but DEX should be higher than CON imo.

Well I've already played through Human Noble and I've no interest in being a short dwarf. Not rolling a mage either as I plan to have Morrigan & Wynn with me.

I figured that would be cool for the long run as you run into Dalish stuff in both Awakenings, Witch Hunt and
Merrill from the Dalish Origin is a party member in DA2

Patryn

Reluctant-Hero said:
Well I've already played through Human Noble and I've no interest in being a short dwarf. Not rolling a mage either as I plan to have Morrigan & Wynn with me.

I figured that would be cool for the long run as you run into Dalish stuff in both Awakenings, Witch Hunt and
Merrill from the Dalish Origin is a party member in DA2

City Elf is a good origin.

Patryn

Reluctant-Hero said:
That's the one that can really screw up the outcome of the Landsmeet, right?

How do you mean? I think it can play out as normal (except that you can influence some votes based on your actions).

Patryn said:
How do you mean? I think it can play out as normal (except that you can influence some votes based on your actions).
I thought that
by killing the Arl's son, you screw yourself out of some votes against Loghain
. Or maybe I heard wrong?

Setreal

Reluctant-Hero said:
I thought that
by killing the Arl's son, you screw yourself out of some votes against Loghain
. Or maybe I heard wrong?

You don't have to
kill him during the origin
though. Even if you do though it's pretty easy to rack up landsmeet points.

Top Bottom