• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Cheech

Playing DA PC, and put about 12 hours into the game. I go to the mage tower, and the game starts crashing to the desktop like clockwork every 20 minutes or so. I dig and dig, and all I can find is a tip to set the game's process to "real time" in the task manager. Now, it only crashes every 45 minutes or so.

I'm using an i5, with 4 gigs of RAM and W7 x64. Any ideas?

canadiancrowe

Neo Member
X-Frame said:
Is it me or is the Stone Prisoner DLC not in the Ultimate Edition?

I have an NA Ultimate Edition and it was in my copy. If you have an EU copy, I read reports that EA left it out by accident and they were handing out DLC codes.

RedSwirl said:
Is there any reason why I should actually
take on Flemith? I know I can just tell her to flee, get her grimorie, and then lie to Morrigan.
Any reason why I should NOT go that path?

DA2 seems to indicate it doesn't matter what you do there in the long run...

I guess killing her is still the right thing to do from the in game perspective, "killing" a horrible monster and keeping your word and all that.

RedSwirl

HadesGigas said:

I guess killing her is still the right thing to do from the in game perspective, "killing" a horrible monster and keeping your word and all that.

I'm just asking because I think my level 9-10 team would probably get owned.

HadesGigas said:

The Witch Hunt DLC also tells you that
Flemmeth is more than anyone truly knows, save Morrigan.

Go ahead and take her down, it's and awesome fight, especially if you get one of the "epic kill" animations to trigger.

Just finished The Fade, and...what was the big complaint about this part again? I actually thought it was really fun. Little confusing getting around at times, but having the different powers and using them to defeat certain enemies was awesome. Felt like a super-powered one man army. Also liked the dreams my side characters were experiencing, and having to snap them out of it. Really clever stuff, not to mention the overall story of the mission was cool.

If this is considered the worst part of the game, then I'm damn excited for what I have left.

CartridgeBlower said:
Just finished The Fade, and...what was the big complaint about this part again? I actually thought it was really fun. Little confusing getting around at times, but having the different powers and using them to defeat certain enemies was awesome. Felt like a super-powered one man army. Also liked the dreams my side characters were experiencing, and having to snap them out of it. Really clever stuff, not to mention the overall story of the mission was cool.

If this is considered the worst part of the game, then I'm damn excited for what I have left.

Yeah it wasn't bad the first time, it's just plaything through it multiple times that gets me. There's not much dialogue, there's no choices to make, no side areas, just a single experience that plays out the same each time.

Arjen

CartridgeBlower said:

I don't get the hate either, i thought the Fade was one of the best parts of the game.
Was kinda suprised to see all the hate here :lol

Kurtofan

CartridgeBlower said:

I don't if it's common, but on my first playthrough I completely missed it, like it never happened.
Is this a common bug?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I know I am super late to the party, but I just started this game on PC. I previously played on 360 but never finished it. Playing on PC has taken some getting used to, but the pause and plan control is actually pretty cool and doesn't add much time to battles, IMO.

I expected more of a graphical boost, but then again I may be remembering the 360 version looking better than it actually does.

Sanchito

X-Frame said:
Is it me or is the Stone Prisoner DLC not in the Ultimate Edition?

I know this is a silly question, but I know I messed this up... Did you put in the DLC disc and actually load all the DLC from there? Or did you just copy the disc to your HD and not actually boot up the second (DLC) disc?

I just expected them to be unlocked out the gate, but you have to run the second disc before it unlocks all that stuff. I don't remember if you have to do anything within the DA:O menus as well.

Rufus

Kurtofan said:
I don't if it's common, but on my first playthrough I completely missed it, like it never happened.
Is this a common bug?
I don't think that's possible... If so, that's the weirdest bug ever.

Sanchito

RedSwirl said:
I'm just asking because I think my level 9-10 team would probably get owned.

I tried it about your level and It was really tough.. I had a ton of health potions and I made sure everyone was using ranged weapons.

I also found a spot near her front door, just behind a post, where I could stand and hit her with my bow, and wouldnt get sucked over to her when she does this one attack. I'd get knocked down, but I'd stay in one spot. The battle took a while, but I did it. I just got stubborn and refused to quit till that hose-beast was dead.

That's just how I did it. I am sure there was probably a better, easier way.. like wait till later in the game. :lol

CartridgeBlower said:

The Deep Roads are actually the weakest part of the game. I liked the Fade too.

X-Frame

Sanchito said:
I know this is a silly question, but I know I messed this up... Did you put in the DLC disc and actually load all the DLC from there? Or did you just copy the disc to your HD and not actually boot up the second (DLC) disc?

I just expected them to be unlocked out the gate, but you have to run the second disc before it unlocks all that stuff. I don't remember if you have to do anything within the DA:O menus as well.
No I did that, booted the DLC disc and installed every one, but in my quest menu I don't see anything about the Stone Prisoner. Is it called something different?

Sanchito

X-Frame said:
No I did that, booted the DLC disc and installed every one, but in my quest menu I don't see anything about the Stone Prisoner. Is it called something different?

It's not labled "Stone Prisoner" on the map.
You have to go to this town called Honnleath. Sulcher's Pass should show up in the bottom left corner of your map.. I believe.

You gotta get an item from a dude there first before Honnleath is unlocked.

jkanownik

This game is so friggin frustrating. The random difficulty spikes and lack of feedback from the game regarding difficulty are maddening.

I'm trying to play through this because it was highly recommended by a friend, but I'm struggling to keep at it. Saving constantly helps a little, but it introduces a pretty significant annoyance of it's own.

Kurtofan

Rufus said:
I don't think that's possible... If so, that's the weirdest bug ever.
I did a second playthrough recently and was surprised to see this section in the Fade!
The first time I think I entered the door and instead of the quest I got a black screen and was near the boss room.

Erasus

CartridgeBlower said:

Its great on the first playthrough.

But going through it again in the 2nd meeeeeeeeeh

X-Frame

Sanchito said:
It's not labled "Stone Prisoner" on the map.
You have to go to this town called Honnleath. Sulcher's Pass should show up in the bottom left corner of your map.. I believe.

You gotta get an item from a dude there first before Honnleath is unlocked.
OHHHHH!! Yeah that does sound familiar from reading my quests. Haven't gotten around to them yet, wanted to bite off a bit more of the main story first.

Also, is their a Point of No Return in this game that I need to know about before I accept? I don't want to continue the story only to find it's a ME Suicide Mission. Thanks!!

Sanchito

X-Frame said:
OHHHHH!! Yeah that does sound familiar from reading my quests. Haven't gotten around to them yet, wanted to bite off a bit more of the main story first.

Also, is their a Point of No Return in this game that I need to know about before I accept? I don't want to continue the story only to find it's a ME Suicide Mission. Thanks!!

Haha.. yeah, I was the same way. I had the CE guide and I wasn't afraid to use it! I just don't have the time to sit there and figure out everything on my own, only to get to the end and find out I missed out on a bunch of stuff!

I am not positive, but I think you have until the very last quest of the game to do any extra side missions. I think it's before you enter in the last area to fight the archdemon. Personally, I wound up getting Shale after I got through the circle tower.

X-Frame

According to the Wiki, I have
the dwarf level, dalish elf level, landsmeet, then final battle. So as long as I do everything before the Landsmeet is called I should be ok?

X-Frame said:
After the Landsmeet (which only happens post-three treaties), the game asks you to return to Redcliffe when you're ready. Pretty sure that's the point of no return IIRC.

I'd try to do everything you want to do before the Landsmeet, though.

TenshiOni said:
After the Landsmeet (which only happens post-three treaties), the game asks you to return to Redcliffe when you're ready. Pretty sure that's the point of no return IIRC.

I'd try to do everything you want to do before the Landsmeet, though.

Is it like ME1 or ME2 in terms of playing DLC after the endgame, i.e. is it possible? Don't want another ME1 endgame situation...

kai3345

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Is it like ME1 or ME2 in terms of playing DLC after the endgame, i.e. is it possible? Don't want another ME1 endgame situation...
You can play two of the DLC (Wardens Keep and Return to Ostagar) a any time during the game, including after the final battle

All other DLC is treated as an expansion, meaning you access it from the start menu.

I started playing this as a Rouge Elf a while back and got bored. I'm starting it again and wanted to try a different character. Is dual-wielding, DPS focused, warrior a viable build?

kai3345 said:
You can play two of the DLC (Wardens Keep and Return to Ostagar) a any time during the game, including after the final battle

All other DLC is treated as an expansion, meaning you access it from the start menu.

Okay, cool, so it all sounds pretty accessible. Gracias.

I played a few hours of this a while back, but just fired it up again after getting the Ultimate Edition.

2 Questions:

1. Should I get these mods: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/18/18-essential-dragon-age-mods/ I hear tooltips is awesome as well, so I will likely get that, but I'm wondering if these are good on my first playthrough. I have an HD6850, and I want to try the texture packs. Game seems to run well on very high @1920, so I want to try pushing it more.

2. My save file is just before Redcliffe and I've read to try the mage quest first, but I can't seem to go directly to the Mage Tower right now. Am I just supposed to go to the map location near the Mage Tower and it will get me there after I do something?

Getting closer to finishing Origins and I'm wondering if I should try to speed through Awakenings before DA2, or keep it on the backburner until after I play DA2.

Quick question -- does Awakenings come with any of the DLC that was released, or is it just the Awakenings add-on?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Inferno313 said:
I started playing this as a Rouge Elf a while back and got bored. I'm starting it again and wanted to try a different character. Is dual-wielding, DPS focused, warrior a viable build?

Yes, I used a dual-wielding Human Warrior on my first play through (with the game set to hard on the PS3).

He rocked.

njean777

Arjen said:
I don't get the hate either, i thought the Fade was one of the best parts of the game.
Was kinda suprised to see all the hate here :lol

The only part I hate is the Dwarven part. I love Orzammar but hated the deep roads, one color and boring as hell to look at for as long as they made you look at it. Although I will say the ending of that part of the game was actually really interesting.

kai3345

Banned
prodystopian said:
2. My save file is just before Redcliffe and I've read to try the mage quest first, but I can't seem to go directly to the Mage Tower right now. Am I just supposed to go to the map location near the Mage Tower and it will get me there after I do something?
Yeah its called Lake Calenheed or something

Arjen

Just finished Awakenings. really nice ad-on, but i was kinda weird how to the difficulty dropped so much, Normal seemed to be even way easier than casual in Origins, i think i only died once, and that was in the final fight, leaving me with over 400 gold, and a shitload of potions.

X-Frame

Did I just mess up?

I am in Denerim for the Landsmeet and I pretty much immediately went to
save the Queen and kill Arl Howe
so now I am back and have to go to the Alienage .. but I haven't spoken to any nobles yet about gaining their votes.

Did I miss that chance? Can I still find people to give me quests or do I need to restart my save?

I died once in Awakening playing a tank. Problem with Awakening is they give you way too much stuff without balancing it against your enemies. I had so much dps, heals and tankage by the end of the game that I soloed the last boss on expert. That shouldn't be possible, but oh well.

RedSwirl

I read somewhere that Dragon Age II's save transfer feature will be able to work cross-platform. Is this true? I might find myself renting a console version before deciding to get this game.

mjc

I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of raging over the fight with
Flemeth
. I'm an elven mage lvl 14.

Any tips?

X-Frame said:
Did I just mess up?

I am in Denerim for the Landsmeet and I pretty much immediately went to
save the Queen and kill Arl Howe
so now I am back and have to go to the Alienage .. but I haven't spoken to any nobles yet about gaining their votes.

Did I miss that chance? Can I still find people to give me quests or do I need to restart my save?

Well you did miss the chance for one of them I believe, but if you play your dialogue choices right at the Landsmeet, you don't have to worry.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hyunkel6 said:
With most DLCs 50% off this week, are they worth picking up? I'll definitely buy Awakening, but I'm not sure about the the others.
Unless you have Shale already the Stone Prisoner DLC has an awesome character. Also Witch Hunt and the Golems story take place after Origins with your main character so they're worth it if you want to expand your story. The others aren't that essential except for the powerful items (the storage chest in Warden's Keep can't be gained anywhere else).

Dunbar

Will I miss anything story-wise if I play Witch Hunt before Awakening? I just need to beat the Archdemon to finish Origins (stupid game keeps hard crashing mid-fight) and I'm more anxious to finish the Morrigan part of the story than play the expansion, but I'll do Awakening first if the plot is meant to work that way.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Dunbar said:
Will I miss anything story-wise if I play Witch Hunt before Awakening? I just need to beat the Archdemon to finish Origins (stupid game keeps hard crashing mid-fight) and I'm more anxious to finish the Morrigan part of the story than play the expansion, but I'll do Awakening first if the plot is meant to work that way.
They're both separate stories. I would do Awakening first because...

Big Witch Hunt spoiler!
The conclusion of Witch Hunt can end your character's career.
That doesn't stop you importing that character into Awakening though.

Ledsen said:
Why would you post a spoiler in response to someone who's asking if they should play the thing you're spoiling? I'm pretty sure he's not going to read that...
Was just in case someone wanted an order that made more sense and didn't mind being spoiled. Other people might be reading and be interested, that's all.

Ledsen

Thnikkaman said:
I would do Awakening first because...

Big Witch Hunt spoiler!
The conclusion of Witch Hunt can end your character's career.
That doesn't stop you importing that character into Awakening though.

Why would you post a spoiler in response to someone who's asking if they should play the thing you're spoiling? I'm pretty sure he's not going to read that...

Steroyd

Did the Sacred Urn trials thing the last part of the trial was erm... all I'm going to say is that my default team is basically a harem of Morrigan, Wynne and Leilana. [insert missing lol smiley]

kai3345

Banned
Dunbar said:
Do Awakening first. Story-wise, Witch Hunt is intended to be the end of Dragon Age Origins

mjc

kai3345 said:
Level up and come back later.

Whats your party setup?

I'm rolling with Alistair, Wynne, and Leliana and they're all around lvl 13/14.

I was gonna go do the Orzammar quest anyways so maybe I'll go do that and come back a bit later.

Top Bottom