• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

IoCaster

Kurtofan said:
My party is Morrigan,Loghain, Ogren and I'm a Dwarf Warrior
The armies are useless, the Darkspawn always come after me!
I have no heal spell (except the very first one) and only four poultices.

Wow...that's about as bad a party as you can bring to the AD fight except for Morrigan. You need ranged fighters for the most part. Leliana would have been a better choice than Oghren for sure.

Well now that you've got a better idea of how the combat works you should do much better on a second run. Good luck.

Kurtofan

IoCaster said:
Wow...that's about as bad a party as you can bring to the AD fight except for Morrigan. You need ranged fighters for the most part. Leliana would have been a better choice than Oghren for sure.

Well now that you've got a better idea of how the combat works you should do much better on a second run. Good luck.
I restarted and now I'm a Elf warrior and of course I'm not at the endgame right now, but my party is Sten,Shale and Wynne.
Shale has different skills, which ones should I invest in?
The Stone armour (gives bonus defense to the group I think) sounds good.

IoCaster

Kurtofan said:
I restarted and now I'm a Elf warrior and of course I'm not at the endgame right now, but my party is Sten,Shale and Wynne.
Shale has different skills, which ones should I invest in?
The Stone armour (gives bonus defense to the group I think) sounds good.

Depends what you want Shale to do. If you're going to use her for DPS then get strength, constitution and a bit of dexterity. The Stoneheart and Pulverizing Blows talent trees are the way to go there.

If you want to use her as your main tank (not recommended) then constitution and dexterity are what you'll want to prioritize. Then I'd say Stoneheart and Stone Aura trees are the best bet. Once she's buried under a swarm of enemies activate Stone Aura and have Wynne cast Force Field on her.

What are you doing for locked loot chests without a rogue in your party?

Kurtofan

IoCaster said:
Depends what you want Shale to do. If you're going to use her for DPS then get strength, constitution and a bit of dexterity. The Stoneheart and Pulverizing Blows talent trees are the way to go there.

If you want to use her as your main tank (not recommended) then constitution and dexterity are what you'll want to prioritize. Then I'd say Stoneheart and Stone Aura trees are the best bet. Once she's buried under a swarm of enemies activate Stone Aura and have Wynne cast Force Field on her.

What are you doing for locked loot chests without a rogue in your party?
Haven't thought about that, I guess there's good stuff in locked chests.
Thanks for all the advices anyway.

kai3345

Banned
IoCaster said:
what?

Shale is the best Tank in the game?

IoCaster

kai3345 said:
what?

Shale is the best Tank in the game?

Not really. Shale is great for squishing heads but Alistair is a better tank. I'm not going to bother working the numbers for you, but you can go to the wiki and get the stats if you want.

Think about it though. Dress Alistair in heavy/massive armor, level up his shield talents, activate Threaten & spam Taunt. It takes a while to get his Strength and Dexterity leveled up, but by mid to late game he's the best tank in the game. He's like the archetype of what a tank is supposed to be.

IoCaster

Kurtofan said:
Haven't thought about that, I guess there's good stuff in locked chests.
Thanks for all the advices anyway.

Well you get loot to sell if nothing else with a rogue in the party to open those chests for you. Accumulating money to buy health and lyrium potions or at least the ingredients to make your own will help late in the game. The game can be beat with a three warrior party but it's a lot easier with a balanced party. *shrug*

X-Frame

Hey guys .. so I need some advice.

I have DA:O Ultimate and started playing for a couple hours but quite frankly the amount of content on this disc is overwhelming. How long on average would it take me to complete the main storyline in Easy/Normal?

The main reason I WANT to finish (at least the main story) is to be caught up to when DA:2 comes out in March.

X-Frame said:

I have DA:O Ultimate and started playing for a couple hours but quite frankly the amount of content on this disc is overwhelming. How long on average would it take me to complete the main storyline in Easy/Normal?

The main reason I WANT to finish (at least the main story) is to be caught up to when DA:2 comes out in March.

30 to 40 hours depending on what you do. another 10-15 if you do the expansion.

X-Frame said:

If you just stick to the main storyline and ignore sidequests you can probably finish the game around 30 - 40 hours. Maybe quicker. Awakenings probably 12-15, and all of the extra DLC stuff anywhere from 1 - 5 hours each.

Steroyd

Where can I get a white mage, or at least someone with the spell heal near the beginning of the game?

The moment I'm let off on my leash I get my ass kicked by bandits, darkspawn and more bandits. :|

Steroyd said:
Where can I get a white mage, or at least someone with the spell heal near the beginning of the game?

The moment I'm let off on my leash I get my ass kicked by bandits, darkspawn and more bandits. :|

Start with mage tower quests...

IoCaster

Steroyd said:

Other than playing as a mage yourself, you could have Morrigan learn heal at the first opportunity to level her up. The other mage you can recruit is at the Mage Tower. Her name is Wynne and she is at Ostagar as an NPC with a dialogue prompt but you can't recruit her yet. She's spec'd as a healer and you meet her again early in the "Broken Circle" main quest.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Dries said:
Does Strength contribute to bow and arrow damage? Or is it just swords?
Strength should contribute to crossbows, at least that was the intention during development. They're warrior sidearms rather than long/shortbows.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Dries said:
Does Strength contribute to bow and arrow damage? Or is it just swords?
Shortbows and longbows both have 50% Dex / 50% Str contributing to damage, though you can replace Str with Cunning as the bonus damage modifier with Lethality.

Crossbows are bugged - As Thnikkaman said, they should have Str as a damage modifer but it actually has no effect.

bengraven

You know, other than the scaling and the Fade, I fucking loved this game.

Why haven't I finished Origins yet?

Or Witch Hunt? I loved the character of Morrigan. Maybe I'm just wary because she knocked me down to the friend-zone when I said we should be lovers despite me marrying the queen. So I'm worried I won't get the right kind of closure? I don't know. :lol

Loved my nerdy Bioware RPG.

Ledsen

I'm just up to Lothering, and I have to say, I love this game. I think I'll be addicted to this for quite a while. The dialogue is often very, very bad though. I like the characters and all, but they're really doing all they can to make me not take them seriously. Everyone talks like they were written by a little kid thinking "this is how people talked in the middle ages". I mean, Morrigan was talking about her childhood, and how she once stole a ring off a cart or some such, and with a completely straight face she said something to the effect of "I ran from the cart, clutching the bauble to my chest in delight". I mean, what the fuck? Who talks like that? And her constant use of "'tis" instead of "it is"...:lol

I think it was Chris Remo who compared the dialogue in this game to the movie Amadeus, where the script writer purposefully wrote the characters to sound mostly like modern day people, with Mozart being particularly foul-mouthed, and only the emperor and his posse sounding more haughty and "olde". In Dragon Age, EVERYONE speaks like that, regardless of if it fits the character or not (in the case of Morrigan, the contrast between her personality and her manner of speaking is startling). Frankly, it comes across as completely bizarre and silly.

Dries

ExMachina said:
Shortbows and longbows both have 50% Dex / 50% Str contributing to damage, though you can replace Str with Cunning as the bonus damage modifier with Lethality.

Crossbows are bugged - As Thnikkaman said, they should have Str as a damage modifer but it actually has no effect.

No way? Crossbows are bugged? So how does the game determine crossbow damage now? Just the base stat of the weapon?

Thanks for the great tip about Lethality. I'll definantly be doing that. I wonder, is it useful to add any strength points to my rouge at all? Not really right? Should I just focus on dex and cunning?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I can't say how much I hate how they handle the downloadable content. Twice have I talked to dudes, and was excited about the epic quest they were presenting. Then, I see the dialogue option, " Download Content " to fucking play the quest. Fucking sucks :(

kai3345

Banned
K2Valor said:
I can't say how much I hate how they handle the downloadable content. Twice have I talked to dudes, and was excited about the epic quest they were presenting. Then, I see the dialogue option, " Download Content " to fucking play the quest. Fucking sucks :(
they only did that for the day one DLC but yeah it did suck

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Dries said:
No way? Crossbows are bugged? So how does the game determine crossbow damage now? Just the base stat of the weapon?
Yup. Crossbows/bolts are only good for selling in this game... D:

Thanks for the great tip about Lethality. I'll definantly be doing that. I wonder, is it useful to add any strength points to my rouge at all? Not really right? Should I just focus on dex and cunning?
Yeah, Lethality's great. :D Dex/Cun is definitely the ideal focus for any rogue build because their weapons/skills have dexterity requirements and many of their class abilities are based on cunning (lockpicking, disabling traps, persuasion, armor penetration, attack talents, buffs, etc.). The only reason to put any points into Str is if you want the option of equipping better armor.

Fuck this fucking game. It's ridiculous how fast the battles go from enjoyable to rage inducing and it's always the same spots. I've died 5 straight times at the frostback mountain pass on my hard playthrough. My entire party gets wiped out within 5 seconds.

kai3345

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Fuck this fucking game. It's ridiculous how fast the battles go from enjoyable to rage inducing and it's always the same spots. I've died 5 straight times at the frostback mountain pass on my hard playthrough. My entire party gets wiped out within 5 seconds.
How many other main story missions have you done?

BW said that they made the initial encounters of the Orzammar and Urn quests harder to encourage players to do those later in the game.

X-Frame said:
So if I'm a Human Warrior, what's the best party for me to build up and use?

Depends on your gameplay style and preferences obviously. If you're main PC is a tank using a sword and shield you'd probably want to go with something like:

1. Main PC tank
2. Mage with crowd control / healing spells
3. Rogue specializing in archery
4. Another warrior specializing in dual wielding or two handed weapons

My party was

1. Tank
2. Dual wielding Rogue
3. Mage healing / CC
4. Mage direct damage / CC

As long as you have a tank, a mage (one with healing and CC spells preferably), and a rogue to disarm traps / pick locks, you're golden. The fourth character you'd most likely want to go with is a 2nd mage or warrior.

kai3345 said:
How many other main story missions have you done?

BW said that they made the initial encounters of the Orzammar and Urn quests harder to encourage players to do those later in the game.

I did Redcliffe and the Brecelian Forest already. In my first playthrough I did Orzammar last and it was the same crap. These generic grunts shouldn't be more powerful than bosses.

Question about the DLC,
Completed the game and Wardens Keep, was level 19
Did the Witches Hunt DLC leveled up til 21
Now, for all the remaining DLC will i be leveling up from level 19 everytime? I loaded up the Amgarrak DLC, imported my character the only 1 i could see was my level 19, Pressed Y (advanced) which brings up my game saves and it only lets me see my level 19

I hope that makes sense...

evanswolves said:
Question about the DLC,
Completed the game and Wardens Keep, was level 19
Did the Witches Hunt DLC leveled up til 21
Now, for all the remaining DLC will i be leveling up from level 19 everytime? I loaded up the Amgarrak DLC, imported my character the only 1 i could see was my level 19, Pressed Y (advanced) which brings up my game saves and it only lets me see my level 19

I hope that makes sense...
It's been a while, but I think the only importable saves are from the end of Origins and the end of Awakening.

edit: Actually that might be incorrect. There was a bug in Witch Hunt that sometimes didn't save the game at the end.

Ledsen

Wait... why would you fight
Flemeth
? I'm only 5 hours into the game and as far as I know there's nothing wrong with her :( whyyyyyy :(

kai3345

Banned
Sanchito said:
Awesome! Congrats! I thought he was much easier than
Flemeth.
Of course, I fought
Flemeth
earlier in the game and probably was about level 10 or so. Took me several tries until I finally bested her.
spoiler that shit bro

kai3345

Banned
Kurtofan said:
You forgot the second one.
Anyway I'm kind of sad I had to kill
Zevran in Denerim
:(
On the bright side Sten and I were the best bros.
Fuck naw. Nobody fucks with the Warden.

Also, how the fuck did you get Sten to like you!?

Across three playthroughs I've never gotten him to like me enough to do his side quest.

Of course now I've got the UE so I'll probably just use the Feastday Gifts, but getting him to like you is nigh impossible without them.

Kurtofan

kai3345 said:
Across three playthroughs I've never gotten him to like me enough to do his side quest.

Of course now I've got the UE so I'll probably just use the Feastday Gifts, but getting him to like you is nigh impossible without them.
Actually I never gave him any gifts :D (except for his
sword but that's his quest
)
I think you have to be sometimes sarcastic when you speak to him or dead serious sometimes.
I guess I'm on line with him :s
You also have to be an ass with mages and you get points for killing
Connor
:eek:

Also don't start the Urn quest before you did his quest, because he gets angry at you there.

kai3345 said:
Fuck naw. Nobody fucks with the Warden.

Also, how the fuck did you get Sten to like you!?

Sten is tough to build rep with. I think he likes
paintings
as his gift of choice, toss enough his way and ask him a lot of questions about his homeland and you should be ok.

X-Frame

Need some help .. not sure if I should spoiler it but I will anyway ..

So I wanted to save
the Circle of Magi so I can go back and save Connor so I've been clearing each floor and then I bump into this weird dude and then I am in the Fade.

Apparently, the Fade is a very long section? Do I want to do this now? Can I come back to this later in the game after I went back to Redcliffe? I have a save before I meet that Sloth guy but just curious if I should stick it out now and get it over with. Personally, I'd rather get more of the main story done before I do this ..

kai3345

Banned
X-Frame said:
Need some help .. not sure if I should spoiler it but I will anyway ..

So I wanted to save
the Circle of Magi so I can go back and save Connor so I've been clearing each floor and then I bump into this weird dude and then I am in the Fade.

Apparently, the Fade is a very long section? Do I want to do this now? Can I come back to this later in the game after I went back to Redcliffe? I have a save before I meet that Sloth guy but just curious if I should stick it out now and get it over with. Personally, I'd rather get more of the main story done before I do this ..
Its just another part of the circle of magi quest is all. get it done, just use a guide and its a cinch

X-Frame

kai3345 said:
Its just another part of the circle of magi quest is all. get it done, just use a guide and its a cinch

Thanks. I'll save it for tomorrow then.

Also, I haven't been using a guide so far as I like to play my first playthrough blind .. is there any other parts of this game where it is recommended I use a guide or is The Fade basically it?

kai3345

Banned
X-Frame said:
Thanks. I'll save it for tomorrow then.

Also, I haven't been using a guide so far as I like to play my first playthrough blind .. is there any other parts of this game where it is recommended I use a guide or is The Fade basically it?
No, the other parts are pretty standard get to the end of the dungeon type stuff.

RedSwirl

Is there any reason why I should actually
take on Flemith? I know I can just tell her to flee, get her grimorie, and then lie to Morrigan.
Any reason why I should NOT go that path?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RedSwirl said:
Is there any reason why I should actually
take on Flemith? I know I can just tell her to flee, get her grimorie, and then lie to Morrigan.
Any reason why I should NOT go that path?

Because it's one of the few cool battles in the game?

Top Bottom