• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Y2Kev said:
Shipped! Woohoo!

Those comparison videos are a joke...it's stuttering all over the place on the PC side.

Agree, PC used for comparison videos makes the PC version look terrible. What is this? Sub-30 FPS?

Durante

Not only does the size of the video make one of the biggest advantages of the PC version -- image quality -- hard to see, it also seems like they used a vintage Celeron to run the game :lol

corpserot

zombieshavebrains said:
Damn time to try and plan what i want to do for a char. Thinking 2h warrior zerker or reaver.
Think I'm going Reaver, sounds pretty cool. Second character maybe Rogue - Assassin.

Zzoram

DMPrince said:
man. i don't know if i'll be playing pc version tomorrow!

My graphic card comes in later today WOOO.
But i can't install W7 since my IDE can't be seen during the installation and i have to buy a Sata drive WTF.

Don't want to use Vista. oh and I hope my Ram comes in today.

How old is that harddrive? My 4 year old laptop uses SATA.

Zzoram

Bossman said:
It's disappointing that Warden's Keep only lasts for an hour or so:

http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=702105&forum=135

Bioware's marketing guys say that it should last a lot more than that but they also said the same thing about Mass Effect's Pinnacle Station so you can't really trust them.

That's actually a relief, stopping me from wanting the Deluxe. I don't want to pay $15 more for the Deluxe version for an hour's worth content.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Also with skills like "Threaten" and "Disengage" they obviously have some sort of aggro system in place. I wonder how easy it is to determine the amount of threat you have on characters. I'm not expecting something like Omen threat meter like in WoW but i would like to know how effective something like "Disengage" would be regarding my threat. If i'm at the top and there is no use in using an ability that reduces threat then i'd like to know if using the stamina is going to be worth it.

DomLando

Where is the best place to pick up this game? I see all these stores are doing different downloadable content and what not. Also is the CE worth it? If so I might try to hunt one down on release day since they stopped taking pre orders. Probably a little late on this but any help would be appreciated.

Justinian

Tobor said:
If you could take your head out of your PC's ass for a second, you'd understand what I meant.

The control scheme used in the console version was designed for the 3D view.

Yes, but the actual game was not, therefore not having isometric view IS being gimped, contrary to your original point. Just having a workable solution through a radial menu does not mean the experience is as intended.

It's really not that hard to understand. This game was NOT developed in parallel on multiple systems, they began porting early this year, after development on PC had pretty much been finalised.

Zeliard

zombieshavebrains said:
Damn time to try and plan what i want to do for a char. Thinking 2h warrior zerker or reaver.

I'm going with an Elven Mage on my first go-around. Already created the character, and he looks pretty damn cool, I must say. I love the character creator in DA - the facial modeling is quite nice, and certainly a huge improvement over... whatever that was supposed to be in Mass Effect.

I kinda wish they had seperate origins for the Mage class, as they do with the other two, rather than a sole "Magi" one. Hopefully going through the game as an Elven Mage will be different than going through as a Human Mage.

NewLib

Banned
The game has me having to make some really tough decisions. The best origins seem like the Dwarven ones, but I dont really want my first playthrough to be a Dwarf. Im thinking about going Elf Mage over Human Noble and Dalish Elf.

GasProblem said:
Heh, actually like the 360 version better in that video, because of the shitty framerate in the PC part.

Yeah, it actually did make the 360 version look like a better option. Also whoever was playing the PC version was very slow. Do you need really need that much setting up to take down a fucking bear?

Zeliard said:
I kinda wish they had seperate origins for the Mage class, as they do with the other two, rather than a sole "Magi" one. Hopefully going through the game as an Elven Mage will be different than going through as a Human Mage.
It probably depends entirely on how you play. I guess lore wise a mage is a mage and race doesn't play into it.

Can't wait. Don't really care about the isotropic (isometric?) view, and the graphics look just fine for 360 so I'll probably get that version.

Zzoram

DomLando said:
Where is the best place to pick up this game? I see all these stores are doing different downloadable content and what not. Also is the CE worth it? If so I might try to hunt one down on release day since they stopped taking pre orders. Probably a little late on this but any help would be appreciated.

Steam, as usual.

Tobor

Justinian said:
Yes, but the actual game was not, therefore not having isometric view IS being gimped, contrary to your original point. Just having a workable solution through a radial menu does not mean the experience is as intended.

It's really not that hard to understand. This game was NOT developed in parallel on multiple systems, they began porting early this year, after development on PC had pretty much been finalised.

"Gimped" implies that the lack of the isometric view will in some way lessen the enjoyment of the game, and that is clearly not the case. Bioware built a control scheme for console and matched the view to that control scheme. "It's really not that hard to understand."

Zzoram

Justinian said:

Considering that this game was probably started in 2004, before any PC developers knew they were about to mass migrate to consoles due to better sales, ya it was probably designed with the PC in mind as an evolution of Baldur's Gate 2. However, that doesn't mean the 3rd person console controls and interface can't be good. The Witcher has 3rd person and isometric, and is PC only, and many people played it in 3rd person.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
It probably depends entirely on how you play. I guess lore wise a mage is a mage and race doesn't play into it.

True, though looking at the wiki, it does seem like it's noted in the game:

"While Dalish elves do have magic users in their tribes, all elf mages in DA:O are assumed to have come from an Alienage."

As far as I can tell, Alienage Elves are basically City Elves. Lots of contact with humans, etc, as opposed to Dalish Elves who are more high-minded and try to stay as far away from humans as possible.

"Alienages are closed communities of elves living in human cities. They are typically poor and survive by begging or taking on the most menial and unrewarding of tasks."

Dragon Age's lore isn't particularly unique, but I'm enjoying reading through the background stuff.

Lothars

Zzoram said:
That's actually a relief, stopping me from wanting the Deluxe. I don't want to pay $15 more for the Deluxe version for an hour's worth content.

The main thing about Warden's keep is the Permanent Storage solution.

Ploid 3.0

Man what the crap, is the PS3 version order's maxed out for amazon or something? It said my order estimate is December 14 the earliest with super savers shipping. Shipping estimate Dec 7th... Thing is, I tried to change to a faster shipping by changing the shipping speed in my order details. I didn't know I could lose my place in line. Will I still get my preorder stuff? Crap!

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Can someone explain this?

The regular game doesn't have a place where you can permanently store items and equipment. Warden's Keep offers you that, though I'm not sure exactly how it'll manifest itself.

Tobor

Zeliard said:
The regular game doesn't have a place where you can permanently store items and equipment. Warden's Keep offers you that, though I'm not sure exactly how it'll manifest itself.

That sucks. Can you buy Warden's Keep separately if you don't buy the collectors edition?

Justinian

Zzoram said:
Considering that this game was probably started in 2004, before any PC developers knew they were about to mass migrate to consoles due to better sales, ya it was probably designed with the PC in mind as an evolution of Baldur's Gate 2. However, that doesn't mean the 3rd person console controls and interface can't be good. The Witcher has 3rd person and isometric, and is PC only, and many people played it in 3rd person.

I'm sure the console versions are more than playable, and are probably lots of fun, but unlikely to be as fun as on the system it was designed for. But then again fun is somewhat subjective. Objectively, it is intended to be played on PC.

Tobor said:
"Gimped" implies that the lack of the isometric view will in some way lessen the enjoyment of the game, and that is clearly not the case. Bioware built a control scheme for console and matched the view to that control scheme. "It's really not that hard to understand."

As I said, fun is subjective. I'm sure you would find very few people in this thread who would agree the console controls are just as fun as on PC.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:

Oh, so it'll be a safe stash for pack rats. I've overcome my pack rat mentality because of Diablo and Diablo 2. The immense volume of loot means you learn pretty quickly to discard items that you don't intend to equip for normal use, no matter how shiny or rare they are.

Zzoram said:
Can someone explain this?

The way I understand it is that your party is limited to carrying a certain amount of items, and there is no way to store excess items. They must be discarded or sold. (although I have heard that there is a storage option available at your camp, but havn't really looked for a confirmation.) The Watcher's Keep DLC provides some sort of a base of operations and in that base is a container where you can definitely store excess items that you do not want to sell or discard.

Tobor

Justinian said:
I'm sure the console versions are more than playable, and are probably lots of fun, but unlikely to be as fun as on the system it was designed for. But then again fun is somewhat subjective. Objectively, it is intended to be played on PC.

As I said, fun is subjective. I'm sure you would find very few people in this thread who would agree the console controls are just as fun as on PC.

What would be objectively super fun is you laying off the console trolling and talking about the game.

DomLando

DomLando said:

I also should have stated I am getting one of the console versions.

Lothars said:
Yeah it's like 7 dollars I believe.

Which is kind of handy for me as it's pretty much the exact amount of xbox live points (or whatever they're called) that I have after having to purchase $25 worth to get the Ballad of Gay Tony (already had a few hundred beforehand).

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Now that the game is out, lets please not turn this thread into PC and console whores waving their e-peenies around. Let's hear some solid impressions of the pc, 360, and ps3 versions without the needless slamming of the other versions. Please?

Justinian

Tobor said:
What would be objectively super fun is you laying off the console trolling and talking about the game.

I don't see how I'm trolling or not talking about the game. If anything the differences between the console and PC versions is one of the most heated discussions prior to the game's release. I'm just applying logic where logic is due :)

FrankT

Zeliard said:

Hmm, well if Warden's Keep is up tomorrow (360) I will be buying it then considering I could not get my hands on a CE in time. Oh that is right it was only on the PC deluxe.

Zzoram

Tobor said:
That sucks. Can you buy Warden's Keep separately if you don't buy the collectors edition?

I believe it's $7 DLC if you don't have the Digital Deluxe version. Console versions all have to buy it because their Deluxe has physical extras.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Oh, so it'll be a safe stash for pack rats. I've overcome my pack rat mentality because of Diablo and Diablo 2. The immense volume of loot means you learn pretty quickly to discard items that you don't intend to equip for normal use, no matter how shiny or rare they are.

I'll never get rid of that mentality. :lol

Even when I get to the point in these games where picking up low-level white items is completely useless, I still feel bad for skipping that loot. I always love picking damn near everything up I come across and then sorting it out later. I don't hate inventory limits with no permanent storage as a rule, but only if they're done right. The best of those are the ones you can extend later on in the game (by getting more slots, like in Titan Quest), because that just offers more reward and something to plan for later, and you know you won't be as limited as you are for the rest of the game.

Still, I think the best of both worlds is to simply have an inventory limit on the characters themselves, but also a way to permanently store a shitload of equipment some place away from them (without the benefit of something like a town portal). That way you still have to be mindful of what you pick up, so there's some strategy and thought there, but you also don't feel as constrained by what you can pick up (i.e. great loot that you won't be able to use for a long while, or that would best serve another character).

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Now that the game is out, lets please not turn this thread into PC and console whores waving their e-peenies around. Let's hear some solid impressions of the pc, 360, and ps3 versions without the needless slamming of the other versions. Please?

Dear God, THIS, please.

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
I'll never get rid of that mentality. :lol

Even when I get to the point in these games where picking up low-level white items is completely useless, I still feel bad for skipping that loot. I always love picking damn near everything up I come across and then sorting it out later. I don't hate inventory limits with no permanent storage as a rule, but only if they're done right. The best of those are the ones you can extend later on in the game (by getting more slots, like in Titan Quest), because that just offers more reward and something to plan for later, and you know you won't be as limited as you are for the rest of the game.

Still, I think the best of both worlds is to simply have an inventory limit on the characters themselves, but also a way to permanently store a shitload of equipment some place away from them (without the benefit of something like a town portal). That way you still have to be mindful of what you pick up, so there's some strategy and thought there, but you also don't feel as constrained by what you can pick up (i.e. great loot that you won't be able to use for a long while, or that would best serve another character).

But there is no value in picking up items you aren't going to use. Generally speaking, if it's better than what you have equipped, you equip it. If it's worse, you drop it or sell it. There is no reason to keep it.

Justinian

I think it's been confirmed that the party inventory space is more than enough to store your items as you progress through the game.

The added storage in Warden's Keep is more of a "nice feature" as it will allow you to have a separate storage. You will probably not miss any storage space if you don't get the DLC.

Zzoram

Anerythristic said:
I didn't know this but I am now assuming the review embargo for the U.S. is launch day. :lol :lol What are they so afraid of??

It's a long game. Reviewers might not finish it if they're rushing to beat each other to the punch to get more clicks. They may simply want reviewers to go through all the main and side quest at least once before writing a review, instead of just playing the first 20 hours.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
whatevermort said:
Dear God, THIS, please.

I've already posted impressions as far as two to three weeks back for both the 360 and PC versions. Another user last week was posting his PS3 impressions.

The embargo date has been detailed many times over. Look through the thread, I'm sure you'll find it.

nubbe

Zzoram said:
But there is no value in picking up items you aren't going to use. Generally speaking, if it's better than what you have equipped, you equip it. If it's worse, you drop it or sell it. There is no reason to keep it.
But I might need it sometime! You never know1!!11!!1

Zzoram

Justinian said:
I think it's been confirmed that the party inventory space is more than enough to store your items as you progress through the game.

The added storage in Warden's Keep is more of a "nice feature" as it will allow you to have a separate storage. You will probably not miss any storage space if you don't get the DLC.

It was enough in Baldur's Gate 2, it'll be enough now.

Tobor

Justinian said:
I don't see how I'm trolling or not talking about the game. If anything the differences between the console and PC versions is one of the most heated discussions prior to the game's release. I'm just applying logic where logic is due :)

You compared the console version to a bootleg camcorder movie, so lay off the innocence act.

No matter what your preference is, you should be happy that as many people as possible can enjoy what looks to be an amazing game. It's good for Bioware, it's good for old school WRPG's, and it's good for gamers.

Top Bottom