• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Vaporak

HK-47 said:
Dark in the sense that it mixes fantasy with horror, or dark in the sense that it is grim dark mature?

In the GRIM DARK future of Dragon Age, there is only Fairy Dragons.*

*and Fairy Dragons know ONLY WAR.

Unfortunately it's probably the GRIM DARK definition, not horror elements :/. I'm still looking forward to the game though.

No45

Snuggler said:
Can't wait to play this tomorrow night. I'm gonna be a trooper and stick with the PS3 version. If it really does suck, I deserve it, I'll put on the dunce cap and take a nap on the nearest highway. I'm gonna be an Elf, btw probably rogue or knight.
Just watched the GT footage and I don't see anything to suggest the PS3 version won't hold up fine. I'd like to see more prolonged footage of the combat in the console version though, ideally played by someone that uses the pause system as I'll probably play it that way if it holds up.

koji

Download of my Digital Deluxe edition just started on the EAstore download manager thingy, 7.9gb. Not that bad!

Glad it started, don`t trust that bloody thing...

Justinian said:
Err... what about positioning multiple characters, flanking with multiple characters, being able to react to adds and incoming threats without leaving the rest of your party behind to fend for themselves?

It would just be so disorientating and unintuitive doing these things on console. Bottom line. When you are jumping around from character POV continually and toggling targets with dpad while bringing up multiple radial menus, does it matter that it's "possible" to do something when it's so painful? The same commands could probably be done with a few mouse clicks allowing you to enjoy the combat rather than fighting it.

It wasn't irritating in KotOR; I can't see it being irritating here. If you're thrilled that you have the superior version, just be thrilled. Silently.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
whatevermort said:
It wasn't irritating in KotOR; I can't see it being irritating here. If you're thrilled that you have the superior version, just be thrilled. Silently.

There is to be no discussion on these forums for discussion!

Truant

Oh Lord, I just found out my review copy has been in my apartment for THREE DAYS. It came in last week, my girlfriend just put it in the mailbin with our regular bills and stuff. I could have been playing it this weekend!

sendu

Neo Member
Fredescu said:
I agree it would be slower, but when playing with a gamepad that comes with the territory. I'm sure you could get fairly adept at switching characters and targets, and since you're often doing it while paused speed isn't such an issue. There's no reason inherent to a gamepad to remove isometric view

One of the main benefits of isometric view is allowing you to select multiple characters at once to issue them the same command at once. A mouse makes this trivially easy with drag-select.

With the console gamepad control scheme having no way to select multiple characters at once (it can be done, but Bioware thought drag-select just isn't a good fit for a gamepad controller), you do indeed lose that main benefit of isometric.

Not that this was the reason consoles don't have isometric view, but Bioware do recognize that the console gameplay is more action oriented because with a gamepad it's so much more fiddly to do the strategy-like stuff possible with keyboard&mouse. It can be done, but being awkward means most people won't want to do it since they won't enjoy it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think the argument for isometric view should be made with several commands.

I think the better argument is made for positioning.
For the sake of argument: Both versions have a group of 4 tanks with shield and sword. And two bigger enemies.

Now it's easy for both versions to pause once, and select "Shield Bash" for every party member and splitting the targets in two.

What can't be done on the consoles however is getting two party members to flank the enemies at the same time. Because if you run, you always un-pause and the AI will take over the other characters. So you have to position one person to flank, and then the next.

The PC allows you to do that for both characters at the same time.

From this example you can conjure many more likely scenarios where simultaneous precision positioning is needed.

EDIT: The drag select thing is of course true, much faster to select all and auto-attack the first enemy on the screen. (You still need to individually select each party member for their skill attacks.)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Himuro said:
I'm convinced the reviewer hasn't even played either BG or its expansions, not only due to the opening paragraph where he says BG was originally a Black Isle game, but also because his entire review gives off a vibe that he doesn't know what he's talking about

[...]

How did this review get published?

CRPG reviews these days are typically laughable. Every time a CRPG hits I can find at least one major review where it's obvious that the reviewer didn't play more than a few clumsy hours, and tries to pass off his conclusions from the opening as holding true for the whole game.

Eurogamer's Risen review listed no fast travel as one of the game's major faults. You get teleports at the beginning of chapter 2. OOPS. They've since replaced this review, not because the original author was incompetent, but because they had inexplicably used the 360 port as the review platform.

The new one's not much (any?) better:

Dan Whitehead said:
So, sorry Risen apologists, but even when viewed in its best light, Risen simply isn't anything special. Despite being Gothic 4 in all but name, Piranha Bytes has brought little that is new to its creaking formula and the elements that are worthwhile are all but smothered under a design ethos that confuses length for depth.

Ironically, while the PC version inarguably shows up the flaws in the 360 effort all the more, it also fares far worse when compared to its peers. Consoles have relatively few RPGs in this traditional mould, but on the PC the competition is much fiercer and so well-intentioned failures are harder to tolerate. Adequate rather than inspired, Risen doesn't even match up to the polish and narrative depth of The Witcher, now two years old, so releasing it only weeks before BioWare's Dragon Age is bordering on suicidal

A TWO YEAR OLD GAME HAS MORE NARRATIVE DEPTH? UNFATHOMABLE!

Protip: Torment, from 1999, has more narrative depth than any game ever. I guess that makes everything since then a failure. Moron.

Jayge

Rad- said:
Another 360 version review:

Burn360:

In reviewing Dragon Age Origins, I found myself really thrown into the plot. The characters, the story, it all comes together to make a great game. It’s one of those games where you weigh the costs of putting down the controller for a few hours. With each new quest being a new and exciting piece to the overall puzzle that is the game. Dragon Age Origins is set to deliver a great deal of gameplay to the player. With the story so open ended and dependant on the actions and class of your character I see myself playing this at least once more. While the game is not perfect in many areas, the total package is engrossing and fun. Though, I would have loved to tackle this with a friend Dragon Age is my new Oblivion and one that I am sure will continue to entertain in this age of Downloadable Content. For the RPG fan this is your GOTY to all others it may be the one that gets you hooked.

Final Verdict 4.5/5

The Good:
The Story will Hook you From Start to Finish independent of what character you select.
Great Voice acting really brings the story to life.
Intuitive Controls plus options give the player freedom to play how they want.
Tons of Replay value

The Bad:
Some Camera angle issues
Sub par graphics at times
Inventory interface confusion

http://burn360.net/reviews/dragon-age-origins-quick-review/

I came to a full stop unconsciously every time this asshole put a fucking period in the middle of a random sentence fragment. That took me like 45 seconds to read :lol It's like a "What did you do last summer?" elementary school essay.

szaromir

Banned
EviLore said:
CRPG reviews these days are typically laughable. Every time a CRPG hits I can find at least one major review where it's obvious that the reviewer didn't play more than a few clumsy hours, and tries to pass off his conclusions from the opening as holding true for the whole game.
It's even worse with P&C adventure games and it's like that since a decade, not only "these days". Every review has to mention that the days of the genre are over etc. etc.

markot

Banned
Honestly, This thread is the first time I have heard of 'CRPG' >_<

... and ive been playing pc games since... well, syndicate.

Shinjitsu

Banned
EviLore said:
A TWO YEAR OLD GAME HAS MORE NARRATIVE DEPTH? UNFATHOMABLE!

Protip: Torment, from 1999, has more narrative depth than any game ever. I guess that makes everything since then a failure. Moron.

You about made me spit rum all over my laptop i was laughing so hard at this.:lol

Kosma

Banned
markot said:
Honestly, This thread is the first time I have heard of 'CRPG' >_<

... and ive been playing pc games since... well, syndicate.

Thank god its not only me. I've been reading the last page and going "CRPG?".

I guess it must stand for Combat or something.

jorma

is now taking requests
Kosma said:
Thank god its not only me. I've been reading the last page and going "CRPG?".

I guess it must stand for Combat or something.

I always thought it was Computer RPG. As opposed to a normal pen/paper RPG.

jorma

is now taking requests
markot said:
Well... whats the difference between an RPG and a CRPG >_<?

vlcsnap-7553621-727355.jpg

these guys think this is a stupid question...:)

Himuro said:
But the terribly ignorant reviews isn't just for crpgs or adventure games, it's for all kinds of stuff that's not super mainstream. The reviewers reviewing the games are rarely knowledgeable about the games they're playing and they never seem to play more than a few hours. We know this as fact.

Pretty much. I always cringe whenever I see that a mainsteam site has reviewed a shmup - without looking at the review I can estimate that it'll be getting a 6, the reviewer will complain about how the game can be completed in one sitting (lol, credit feeding), the reviewer will then bemoan the lack of replay value before finally criticising it for a lack of multiplayer features. I don't see the point of sending someone who has no understanding of the genre to do a review of a game you just know they aren't going properly understand, but sites like IGN & Eurogamer seem to have no qualms with this practice.

MotherFan

Shinjitsu said:
Come on what do you think, take a look at the system requirements.

Recommended:

OS: Windows XP (SP3) or Windows Vista (SP1) or Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-Core 2.7 Ghz Processor or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB (3GB Vista and Windows 7)
Graphics: ATI 3850 512 MB or NVidia 8800GTS 512MB or greater
DirectX®: DirectX (November 2007)
Hard Drive: 20 GB HD space
Sound: Direct X Compatible Sound Card

Really is this just an excuse to show off what you have? Or can you really not read the recommended specs and see that your machine blows them out of the water...

Every other post here asking about "can my machine run this" is starting to make this thread look like a gamefaqs board:lol

Look, I have not been back into serious pc gaming for a bit and some of the stuff I have played I met the recommended but did not hit 60 fps on 1920 x 1080 with high settings. So I was curious, because I want to get an upgraded graphics card and am thinking about the 5770 and 5850 and wanted to know how this would play when I get one of them.

No45

Justinian said:
A interesting article discussing sex in DA. Seems like the person discussing it actually has played the game, unlike some reviewers...

*warning* polygonal semi-nudity

http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/sex-and-the-single-dragon-age-hero.html
That's an interesting article, not least for me because he's gone to a lot of trouble that I wouldn't have been bothered with. I am intrigued now as to the plot related incident around the party relationships.

I'll be playing a female elf mage though, so I have no idea what I'll be doing with my character in that respect.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Ploid 3.0

markot said:
Well... whats the difference between an RPG and a CRPG >_<?

Mouse and keyboard. On the other hand cRPG is well played on consoles (waggle controller optional)

C master race
c console pheasants

RS4-

Fuck me, the PC install size was 15.7GB :lol

I wonder if there's a way to make it dual screen haha.

edit - bah, remembered that I don't have speakers or spare headphones lying around to use with my PC.

Jeez, the amount of PC vs. Console bashing hasn't gone down here I see.

All I want to know is, can I pick this game up at Best Buy tomorrow, or is tomorrow the shipping date?

Truant

Not to start a fire or anything, but JRPG's to me are more adventure games with role playing elements, as compared to say a typical D&D based cRPG that allows you to be pretty much any type of character you want, and that has a world that reacts to what type of character you are. See Baldur's Gate 2.

TheUglyDrunk said:
All I want to know is, can I pick this game up at Best Buy tomorrow, or is tomorrow the shipping date?
Many stores already have it in stock (some people have even reported their local Best Buy already selling it, which is obviously a 'YMMV' situation, as they shouldn't be doing that). So, you'll be able to buy it tomorrow.

Minsc

Gold Member
MotherFan said:
Look, I have not been back into serious pc gaming for a bit and some of the stuff I have played I met the recommended but did not hit 60 fps on 1920 x 1080 with high settings. So I was curious, because I want to get an upgraded graphics card and am thinking about the 5770 and 5850 and wanted to know how this would play when I get one of them.

Both those cards (particularly the 5850) are above the recommended GPUs by a fair (or very large) margin. It should play absolutely flawlessly on either card, however if you wait another day or two to ask again, you can probably find a sure answer.

Good luck trying to find a 5850 though, they're in very short supply, as are just about all the 5-series cards, though the 58XX ones are the hardest to get.

FrankT

Doc Evils said:
I wonder if Bioware wants to intentionally make the PS3 version bomb in Europe by release it the same day as Modern Warfare 2.

I thought MW2 was getting a WW release date on the 10th/11th. Have Bioware even confirmed the PS3 release date in Europe? Last time I checked it was "later in November." Tuesday or Wedsenday would be a weird day to release this anyhow.

Doc Evils said:
I wonder if Bioware wants to intentionally make the PS3 version bomb in Europe by release it the same day as Modern Warfare 2.

Isn't MW2 out next week? It's next tuesday or something. Has the PS3 version been put back to then?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remember hearing CRPG from a very long time ago. Back in the day it pretty much meant "Western RPG" since all major western RPGs were PC games and never really started making it to the consoles until the Xbox.

Doc Evils

whatevermort said:
Isn't MW2 out next week? It's next tuesday or something. Has the PS3 version been put back to then?

Checking again it's the 20th, so it's up with Assassin's Creed II. It's fucked either way.

Doc Evils said:
Checking again it's the 20th, so it's up with Assassin's Creed II. It's fucked either way.

Well, the PS3 version isn't delayed any more though. It's out on Friday as well. Only competition is Ratchet & Clank...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doc Evils said:

I'm still sad about the PC version of Assassin's Creed II getting pushed back.

eznark

Banned
For those that preloaded on Steam how big was the file? I'm really hoping Impulse has their shit together and dl speeds are as excellent as they have been for other games on that service. I just saw it popped up on pirate sites and the file size is only about 7.7 gigs. which would be a lot better than the 16 gb number I've heard tossed around.

Top Bottom