• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Alex said:
Wow, Nox!? :lol There's a rarely mentioned blast from the past
Yeah it's a shame, I could never get into games like Diablo and Baldur's Gate but can still play Nox perfectly fine today even though they're all alike.

mr stroke

VGChampion said:
The first shot is my dog Morcubus in battle when I didn't realize the graphics were on Low. Second shot is an aftermath of a battle with my graphics at Very High. You never ever want to be on Low. You don't see any of the blood and all the environmental stuff is barely visible.
[/IMG]

shit
how do I get that dog? is it only for certain classes?

Patryn

RockmanWhore said:
Is there any chance that I could like the game considering I've never played Baldur's Gate but hated KoToR and Mass Effect (and Jade Empire too btw)??

Probably not. It plays extremely similarly to KoToR (but a little deeper), and is very much in the Bioware style, which seems to be something you dislike quite a bit. If you must, I'd suggest you wait for a demo, at the very least.

I also admire that on the 360 version, you have to realize to ignore the first screen which asks you to input a code for DLC and instead choose to input an EA code instead. I was thrown for minute when I realized that it was asking for a 25 character code, and I only had 16 characters in the provided one.

Oh, and I got the dog as a Dalish elf. I don't think there's a class restriction on it.

regarding the bioware social website, can i just log in using my ea account that i setup for bad company that is already linked to my live account? or do i have to create a seperate bioware account?

i know in the past, EA hasn't done a good job of streamlining this like bad company where people coudlnt link their account or redem their codes.

RPGCrazied

Ive played about 5hours today.

still in the first town, heck i chatted with Aliastar for like an hour, he has alot to say.

As for as textures, I think they are fine.. of course im playing on a standard def, so i bet it wouldnt be noticeable I guess

Framerate is leaps an bounds better than Mass Effect, gameplay wise its smooth with no screen tearing.

sometimes in the cutscenes, specially with alot of models on screen it will stutter/jerky.

Still, plays pretty darn good.

Patryn

Oh, has anyone else on the 360 got a weird glitch where it repeats a previously voiced line in place of another line? It's happened to me twice. The strangest was when all of a sudden Morrigan was speaking with Alistair's voice.

RPGCrazied

not me

can you miss party memebers? I just got the dog, I had the option to let him go.. he started to whimper.. and i felt sad, so i let him come. lol

Flambe

Not sure if it was related, but I Contacted Bioware on their page with my cdkey and I was able to finally register the game and the preorder/etc bonus extras after 5 minutes.

Or I just got lucky :p

Steam Digital Deluxe preorder btw

Himuro said:
It's Bioware tradition to play as a lesbo the first time.

With Bioware I usually do my darndest to avoid any of the romance stuff and I still end up playing a female most of the time. And I'd say it not even the "I'd rather look at at a female as opposed to a guy for 50 hours thing." I think it's just that since I often like to play my character as a tremendous jerk having my character be a different gender keeps a level of separation between me and the character and lets me do evil stuff more readily without feeling guilty. Plus there is something always a little enjoyable about being a total hardcase killer as a 5'2" female elf as opposed to some Conan-esq barbarian dude.

Takuan

Anyone have tips for the first boss? I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to win; currently running around in circles with my last living party member :lol

And yeah, this is a pretty lovely game. I can't imagine how it's like playing on consoles, the top-down view has been pretty crucial for me during combat.

This looks pretty fun..I've always been a console peasant so I've never play Balder Gate or the like but I'm on the fence about this one...Unfortunately my pc is still asstacular. so i might have to get the ps3 or 360 versions...

This looks awesome tho

RPGCrazied

Takuan said:
Anyone have tips for the first boss? I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to win; currently running around in circles with my last living party member :lol

The thing in the tower?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
lorddarkflare said:
Well there is also the fact that if must stare at the ass of a charcter for 60+ hours, that ass better look good.

Also, do we know if it is possible to remove that tacky coat of blood you get after killing stuff?
The dog can lick the blood off of your character.

Hilarious and gross.

sendu

Neo Member
RPGCrazied said:
can you miss party memebers? I just got the dog, I had the option to let him go.. he started to whimper.. and i felt sad, so i let him come. lol

Yes, it's possible to not come across permanent party members (only 1 is ever forced on you, briefly), and once you choose to get rid of them (or drive them away by making them hate you), they're gone for good.

bengraven

...part of me wants to be lesbo and part wants to play my character that looks like a skinny version of myself.

Don't know what to do! hahaha

5 hours until I get home from work. :/

Minsc said:
http://www.fraps.com/

Will show fps in all your games, for free. And let you take screenshots for free too.

Aptos, for the love of god read this for once.

RPGCrazied

sendu said:
Yes, it's possible to not come across permanent party members (only 1 is ever forced on you, briefly), and once you choose to get rid of them (or drive them away by making them hate you), they're gone for good.

darn, I just hope my last party member is a healer, I hate using pots/kits all the time.

gillty

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
I don't even... what?
what is hard to understand?

half-life, quake, bf1942, warcraft3, stalker, civ4 all were top-notch games before great mods came along for them.

oblivion was a pretty generic and boring game even with the mods imo.

Fredescu

Aptos said:
does anyone know how to enable the console or show frames per second?
Use fraps like the man says.

You can turn on the console, going on the toolset wiki you can't do much but run scripts with the console anyway.

"The in-game console is normally not accessible. To enable it run the game with a command line parameter "enabledeveloperconsole". Then, when the game is running, press the tilde key (~) to bring up the console. This is a prompt in the upper left corner of the screen. The console was used extensively in development for debugging and testing purposes, but in the finished version of the game there's only one console command available; "runscript". "

Taiser said:
lol @ everyone haz chikz charas

34orjaa.jpg

Lady Gaga?

Takuan

RPGCrazied said:
The thing in the tower?
Yeah,
the ogre.
Mops the floor with everybody.

This game doesn't feature any mods, does it? I kinda wanna play around with my character's look a bit more, and don't want to go through all the intro crap again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shite. Died in first dungeon and never quicksaved. Have to redo entire deungeon again...sigh.

My DLC still isn't activating either.... :(

mileS

I wonder if the Warden's Keep DLC is worth downloading right away? Or is it something not even worth getting until I get further in the game.

Flambe

Couldn't find it in the options (PC).

Wonder if there's a way to Move Camera left/right by moving mouse to sides of the screen rather than have it pan instead.

FrankT

aswedc said:
At this point I think I can safely say the PS3 version sets a new low for Bioware on a console. It's quite playable, but so were KOTOR and Mass Effect. If those technical issues bothered you, you're definitely not going to be happy with this version. I'm going to pick up the 360 later tonight and the PS3 copy is hitting eBay.

Gloomfire said:
Framerate on PS3 version is awful. Fun game though, about 90 minutes in.

Don't tell that Gamespot.

jabipun

A bit of the score difference gamespot gave the 360 version and ps3 version. I'd imagine the improved framerate on the 360 and the improved texture quality on the ps3 would ultimately have the two equal out in terms of "technical visual performace."

Oh well, nobody really gives a shit.

QUESTION about difficulty 360:

I want to be challenged, though I'm no masochist - does the game on normal do a good job of giving you a run for it's money. I'm not too experienced in this genre, but I like challenging games and I'm pretty good and figuring things out in term of mechanics before I head into things. Again, not lookign to get my ass kicked by every random rat that runs around, but nothing pisses me off more in an RPG when you so many options and upgrades and items etc., yet the game is stupid easy where none of which is required.

Thanks

Mrbob

In game achievement system linked to your bioware social account is interesting. Too bad it isn't steamchieves though.

Brandon F said:
Shite. Died in first dungeon and never quicksaved. Have to redo entire deungeon again...sigh.

My DLC still isn't activating either.... :(

Did you make sure to activate it under your Dragon Age account you created when you logged into the game?

My stuff popped up right away after a restart.

Ceebs

Takuan said:
Yeah,
the ogre.
Mops the floor with everybody.

This game doesn't feature any mods, does it? I kinda wanna play around with my character's look a bit more, and don't want to go through all the intro crap again.
It supports them, but it will be a few weeks before they start showing up.

Hari Seldon

Ok I redeemed my codes, and they downloaded, but they are not listed under the installed category. How do I install them or tell that they are installed? I have the blood armor, and it says you get 1 piece immediately, but it is not in my inventory. I don't want to get far into the game if I will have to restart to get this. I'm playing a mage if that matters.

Brandon F

Mrbob said:
Did you make sure to activate it under your Dragon Age account you created when you logged into the game?

My stuff popped up right away after a restart.

Yea, everything downloaded in the 2nd tab, but never installed to the third tab. So I have like 8 bonus content stuff at 100% downloaded, but not installed.

The Social site isn't recognizing my Game disc key, which is probably the hold-up. My DLC keys were recongnized.

Brandon F

Hari Seldon said:
Ok I redeemed my codes, and they downloaded, but they are not listed under the installed category. How do I install them or tell that they are installed? I have the blood armor, and it says you get 1 piece immediately, but it is not in my inventory. I don't want to get far into the game if I will have to restart to get this. I'm playing a mage if that matters.

I have same problem. All my stuff is donwloaded but not installed. My friend did the same thing and said all his stuff immediately went to installed category after they hit 100%. We're not so lucky I guess...

Jayge

For people finding their character's faces are different: I had the same thing happen, my dude was randomly slapped with a tattoo. He looks better now but still. Weird.

Your character will TOTALLY change if you click ANY setting by accident instead of just clicking next straight through though. Had to back out like 4 times to get the import right :lol

Also, my DLC download was switching from 29% to 30% and back to 29 and 30 repeatedly for like 3 minutes straight. I though that shit only happened in comic strips.

Mrbob

Weird, you got the digital deluxe?

Maybe this is the difference.

I bought the regular edition off of steam and everything downloaded and went to the install directory right away.

I still can't get access to the Warden's Keep to purchase, though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just got my copy today. Is there anyway this will run on a 9400M?

I don't think he likes you. :(

I made a serious attempt at finding out for you, and the only answers I found were that it should be ok on low, depending on resolution. The 9400M falls below the required specs, so that's the main problem.

I did enjoy seeing other people calling the 9400M "not a graphics card" in the Bioware thread :p

Top Bottom