• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Alex

My complaints with Mass Effect don't have much to do with Dragon Age. I liked it, I just hope the sequel has some actual towns beyond a half-finished feeling Citadel, some better "dungeons" and a more significant main campaign.

It mostly shook my faith in Bioware some because it came after Jade Empire, which I hated and KOTOR which is impossible for me to enjoy because it's Star Wars, and.... I just don't like Star Wars for some reason. That and I really think they fucked up the combat and class balance in KOTOR.

As for Bethesda, I think I'm done with them unless they can bring some new angles to their sandbox gig. I'll admit that I do like FO3, and that they did a better job than I expected, but it is wearing a bit thin and I really didn't care for Oblivion, myself. Only sunk a few hours into it, simply felt like Morrowind: Extremely Boring Edition.

The best WRPG's lately have been totally out of left field lately, hopefully there's some turn around back to the more centralized houses. ME2 and AP, next year.

Jefklak

Stinks that I'll have to wait for a videocard upgrade...
Another question, does it run fine at 1680x1050 with only 2GB RAM?
My tiny vertical case isn't that big I don't know if I can jam in 2 extra ram pieces...
Question rephrased: is 4gb required to run smooth? (WinXP, no 7 shit)

gillty

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Come now Alex, Mass Effect was a great game. But obviously very different from Dragon Age.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Oblivion are very different kinds of RPGs - and they play very different, so I don't really understand the point in comparing them.
one doesn't belong and is just average, oblivion.

bengraven

DennisK4 said:
I am playing the game right now...feels so good :D

I bet if I jammed my cock in your ear, it would feel good as well.

TO ME. But where's the benefit to YOU?

:lol

DAMN YOU NIGHT SHIIIIIIFT.

DennisK4 said:
Dragon Age: Tactical combat.

Mass Effect: Shooting and sci-fi story.

Oblivion: Exploration RPG.

Which one has the best inventory system? (its something that bothers me about games so im hoping you say DO:A)

Alex

Being different doesn't mean being exhempt from proper expectations. If Mass Effect's excuse for trading up any decent combat zones, cities, knocking it's campaign down to 8-12 hours, etc was because it was a hybrid shooter, then it was a poor decision because it had pretty lousy shooting mechanics that ultimately boiled down to standard fare.

It's the kind of game that has a lot of room to improve though, to me I think ME2 is going to be either one of those perfect sequels which takes a good, built up concept and turns it into an amazing game or it's simply going to wear thin on me. I dont HATE Mass Effect, I quite enjoyed it, I just think there's lots to improve upon and some very weak elements to it.

Bethesda's sandbox shtick is just getting old. It's a common sentiment. I had fun with FO3, but people who lambaste it for being inferior to FO1 & 2 are fully correct and Oblivion was shit compared to Morrowind, I'm not even comparing it to anything but it's prequel.

I don't hate Bethesda like a lot of PC gamers do, but they need some new tricks.

Dragon Age, so far, feels like a decent return to form and design quality where it counts for WRPGs. I don't know if it'll hit the sentimental spot BG2 has for me, but it's heart is in the right place

gillty

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Out of the box? Sure.

Modded to hell and back? Fantastic.
i would argue with that.

besides judging on the released product
ME = Great out of the box
DA:O = Extraordinary out of the box
hell throw in something that is in the same league...
the witcher = fantastic out of the box

Mrbob

Got all my preorder DLC in.

You have to restart DA after you put in the codes to get it activiated.

Only issue I have with buying Wardens Keep is you need to get Bioware points. Really? Couldn't sell it for real actual value? It times out logging in to buy points but I'm guess I just can't buy 560? Damn XBox live marketplace corrupting the pc. :lol

Google said:
Question:

If you love this type of game, why not play them on the PC to begin with? They've been there for decades.

Well I was always a person who preferred consoles and figured PC was just too expensive to keep up with. That was about 3 years ago. However, PC is now my preferred method to play games. I purchased DA for the PC btw :)

Fredescu

Zeliard said:
I think someone earlier was worried about picking a mage because he might have fewer conversational options than the warrior or rogue (since strength and cunning, not the most useful mage stats, modify intimidation and persuasion) - that isn't the case. There seem to be dialogue options in the game modified/created by your Willpower stat (similar to Fallout & Intelligence), and are preceded by a [Willpower] tag.
Interesting, thanks.

gillty

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Wat?

Mods don't matter?

Is this some kind of crazy GAF meme ? :lol

mods dont make a average game better aka oblivion

mods make great games even better
see
counterstrike, Team Fortress, TFC, Desert Combat, DOTA

BeeDog

What the hell, picking a version to buy/preorder/whatever is a fucking pain in the ass with this game, just horrible.

First, there's the regular edition with the Blood Dragon Armor, the Stone Prisoner DLC, the Guild Master belt and some pre-order stupid experience-increasing ring.

Then there's the Digital Deluxe Edition that has the stupid ring, the Guild Master belt + 3 other retarded items, the Stone Prisoner DLC and the Warden's Keep DLC and some other various shitty items, BUT the Dragon Armor is missing.

THEN there's the Collector's Edition that includes everything EXCEPT the Warden's Keep DLC.

What the fuck is this shit? The most nonsensical release fuck-abouting I've seen this gen.

Zeliard

x3n05 said:
:lol

How the hell does that work?

I think he's trying to say that there needs to be a solid base game. Oblivion had a shitload of problems, though. Mods worked a miracle with that game.

BeeDog said:
What the hell, picking a version to buy/preorder/whatever is a fucking pain in the ass with this game, just horrible.

First, there's the regular edition with the Blood Dragon Armor, the Stone Prisoner DLC, the Guild Master belt and some pre-order stupid experience-increasing ring.

Then there's the Digital Deluxe Edition that has the stupid ring, the Guild Master belt + 3 other retarded items, the Stone Prisoner DLC and the Warden's Keep DLC and some other various shitty items, BUT the Dragon Armor is missing.

THEN there's the Collector's Edition that includes everything EXCEPT the Warden's Keep DLC.

What the fuck is this shit? The most nonsensical release fuck-abouting I've seen this gen.

*sigh*

Dennis

Banned
Alex said:
I don't hate Bethesda like a lot of PC gamers do, but they need some new tricks.
Actually, I want Betsheda to continue making those open-world exploration RPGs like Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Let Bioware and others make Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age-style Tactical combat RPGs and sci-fi shooter RPGs like Mass Effect.

Let CD Projekt make more action RPGs like the Witcher.

Let the developers make the kind of RPG they are good at.

Holy shit it just occured to me that this almost feels like a golden age for WRPGs :lol
So many quality titles from so many developers have come out in recent years.

Shout out to Risen - one of the finest exploration RPGs ever.

senahorse

Zeliard said:
I think he's trying to say that there needs to be a solid base game. Oblivion had a shitload of problems, though. Mods worked a miracle with that game.

That's just it though, Oblivion did have a solid 'base game', ok well that's subjective. Either way the mods did make the game better, there's no two ways about.

edit: enough of the this silly talk, post some more pics people so I can stay jealous at work all day. :D

Lothars

Valru said:
mods dont make a average game better aka oblivion

mods make great games even better
see
counterstrike, Team Fortress, TFC, Desert Combat, DOTA

I don't understand how you can say that, makes no sense

Oblivion is a good game that became fanatastic with mods, just like Fallout 3 which was a great game that became fantastic with mods but mods can make a game even better and take it from being average to great.

Flib

Instead of devolving into this fighting shit, why don't we just discuss how awesome Dragon Age is?

Because it's awesome.

bengraven

DennisK4 said:
Actually, I want Betsheda to continue making those open-world exploration RPGs like Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Let Bioware and others make Baldurs Gate/Dragon Age-style Tactical combat RPGs and sci-fi shooter RPGs like Mass Effect.

Let CD Projekt make more action RPGs like the Witcher.

Let the developers make the kind of RPG they are good at.

Holy shit it just occured to me that this almost feels like a golden age for WRPGs :lol
So many quality titles from so many developers have come out in recent years.

Shout out to Risen - one of the finest exploration RPGs ever.

TheClappp.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
Im just reached lvl6 [human, warrior / noble] and i still cant open locked chests. I need help now, i have one skill point to spend, witch one is for opening chests? Stealing or traps????

HELP ASAP

Jefklak said:
Stinks that I'll have to wait for a videocard upgrade...
Another question, does it run fine at 1680x1050 with only 2GB RAM?
My tiny vertical case isn't that big I don't know if I can jam in 2 extra ram pieces...
Question rephrased: is 4gb required to run smooth? (WinXP, no 7 shit)

It runs smoothly for me with only 2GB of RAM at the res, but I wasn't running fraps to see my FPS.

DieH@rd said:
Im just reached lvl6 [human, warrior / noble] and i still cant open locked chests. I need help now, i have one skill point to spend, witch one is for opening chests? Stealing or traps????

HELP ASAP
Errrr, none of the above, if I'm reading the manual correctly. Lock picking / opening chests falls under the "Deft Hands" talent tree, which is only available to rogues, iirc.

Flib

DieH@rd said:

HELP ASAP

You're a warrior, only Rogues can open locked chests/doors.

datamage said:
For those that pre-ordered the Deluxe Ed. from Steam, is it just 2 codes that you need to put in for the DLC?
No fucking clue. I cant even figure out where im supposed to put in those codes. So anyone who can help shed some light on this would be awesome.

Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread but I'm trying to decide between the 360 and PC version. I don't normally use my pc for gaming so was unsure if it'd be worth it.

My specs are:

E6400 dual core 2.13Ghz processor
2gb ram
256mb ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Would I be better of sticking to the 360?

thanks

Flib

J Tourettes said:
Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread but I'm trying to decide between the 360 and PC version. I don't normally use my pc for gaming so was unsure if it'd be worth it.

My specs are:

E6400 dual core 2.13Ghz processor
2gb ram
256mb ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Would I be better of sticking to the 360?

thanks

That video card is a problem.

DennisK4 said:
Dragon Age: Tactical combat.
Tactical combat? I just stuck it on easy and equipped a bow. Pressing the A button and watching everyone else run around like ants is massive tactics.

Not really, but I am glad I stuck with normal for my archer playthrough. I figure just coast through first playthrough then stick it on nightmare and go micromanagement crazy.

datamage

kafka rock opera said:
No fucking clue. I cant even figure out where im supposed to put in those codes. So anyone who can help shed some light on this would be awesome.

When you load the game and you check your DLC, there should be an option for redeem code somewhere. Clicking on that takes you to the Bioware social site for you to input the codes. (Make sure you sign in with the account tied to the game.)

To get the codes, right-click on the game in your Steam list, and select View game CD key.

Can anyone confirm what ppl are reporting regarding characters created in Character's Creator? The fact that the game itself messes up the faces when importing pre-made characters making the pre-made characters useless?

Castor Krieg said:
Can anyone confirm what ppl are reporting regarding characters created in Character's Creator? The fact that the game itself messes up the faces when importing pre-made characters making the pre-made characters useless?

If you try to change anything it changes the entire face.

Top Bottom