• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
bengraven said:
Great impressions, but we need more.

I need the next three work hours to go by faster.

Can someone tell me about the amount of quests you're receiving? Do you feel as if there is a lot to do?

im just a few hours in but there seems to be plenty to do. Its not an overload of quests or anything so far.. but there is always something new to see and check out. Whether the exploring is trying to pilfer locked chests in town or finding all the books in a library to flesh out your Codex or trying different dialogue routes with npcs.. so far its varied and interesting.

Jayge

I find it interesting that after certain level intervals the game skips giving you skill upgrades and gives you a tactics slot instead. Kind of annoying but I'll live.

A question regarding tactics- when I employ a certain condition and reaction and the tactic font turns red, does that mean I'm not a high enough level to have said tactic actually be employed yet?

LCfiner

Tobor said:
Well???

I'm stuck at work until 10PM and I want to know what you think since we share a brain. :lol

Well, the fact that "a couple hours" became 5 friggin hours without rest should tell you something :lol

I’m starting things off with the Elvish Magi origin. So far I’ve had a pretty decent quest within the circle of magi to start things off, I’ve seen the Battle of Helm’s Deep recreated to a tee in Bioware flavor and I’ve climbed the tower shown in the Giant Bomb PC quicklook.

I like it a lot. I’m pumping a lot of skill points into magic and willpower so I already have access to some pretty decent flamethrower and lightning spells, plus the rock armor, which looks ridiculous in cutscenes as I’m constantly shedding rock lice or something while talking to people.

I’m doing OK with combat, but I’m a bit clumsy and not the most tactical or elegant fighter. I like the variety of spells and talents and I’m treating the combat almost exactly like Kotor. I haven’t died yet but came close once.

I feel the storytelling and acting is on par with the Bioware games I’ve played. Not better, not worse. It’s good, it gives you lots of options to be a dick or a hero (although I’m aiming more for milady cocky and sincere this playthrough) and the faults are the same as always: super stiff animation, occasionally awkward pauses and unconvincing facial animation when party members speak (or they stand like robots while another person speaks).

I guess I’m just spoiled by Uncharted. I long for the day when a game of the scope of Dragon Age can obtain the visual polish and facial animation of a more focused action title like Uncharted. that’ll be something.

So, yeah, I need to take a break for a bit to work out and then eat but, well, then I hit the open road and figure out where to go next.

Whether or not this game rises from “good, but familiar Bioware RPG" to something greater will depend, I believe, on the meatier story elements coming up and the variation possible when playing as a different character.

mr stroke

I generally dislike all Bioware games, but this is the first one that has really grabbed me, feels like Conan(MMO) but with an actual story and fighting tactics.

so far

+Graphics(PC) scales very well on my 2 year old PC and looks amazing(with all settings max)
+Sound-Score is great and voice overs are quality
+Combat feels very tactical, most battles consist of pausing to set up your attacks(not just hack and slash)
+good story(so far)

-Conversation trees seem pointless sometimes, just wish the game would give me a proper cut scene

really enjoying the game so far

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jayge said:
I find it interesting that after certain level intervals the game skips giving you skill upgrades and gives you a tactics slot instead. Kind of annoying but I'll live.

A question regarding tactics- when I employ a certain condition and reaction and the tactic font turns red, does that mean I'm not a high enough level to have said tactic actually be employed yet?

I'm not sure, but I think red text just implies that the action is an offensive one.

hyduK said:
Anyway to pause during cutscenes? Other then waiting for dialogue options to appear.

Are you playing on console? I don't know if there's an "official" way, but pressing the guide button on 360 pauses them for me.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Zefah said:
Well it is obviously different since the game doesn't use the D&D rules (which in my opinion do not work very well in a video game setting), but I think they both feel very similar. The combat in Dragon Age is a ton more fun for me, but I'm sure that is partially due to everything being much easier to understand and being able to control the camera as you please.
Well to me they feel like night and day. DA combat is all centered around cooldowns.. the highest of which ive had so far has been like 60 seconds. i havent counted but from me to go from a sliver of health to full is something like 20 seconds outside of combat. That and the regenerating and auto-ressurecting of party members makes this seems more like KotOR than BG. Again let me clarify.. this is not a bad thing and im not shit talking the game or anything.. im just calling it how i see it.

Individual battles in the Infinity Engine games were pretty damn quick and Dragon Age seems to have a similar speed to it. The inner mechanics are completely different, but there aren't many other games out there where you can pause the game freely to issue commands to party members. It definitely gives me a very BG2-like vibe at least. I vastly prefer the way Dragon Age handles healing and resurrection, though. I personally like that I only have to worry about each individual encounter instead of going through a quicksave / quickload fast trying to "rest" without getting molested.
If you have to constantly rest 8 hours after every encounter in BG, there is another way to prepare to make things easier. As far as the speed thing goes, maybe if you are visiting places with lower level enemies its faster. Rushing into things is not the way to play BG but thats just imo. Just charging in Leeroy-style will definitely have you resting constantly since your casters have to expend greater spells to save the party where using other tactics might have been more efficient.

EDIT: Anyone else playing PC on Nightmare? Its been kind of tame so far. Is there a certain point when it becomes brutal?

bengraven

Number 2 said:
im just a few hours in but there seems to be plenty to do. Its not an overload of quests or anything so far.. but there is always something new to see and check out. Whether the exploring is trying to pilfer locked chests in town or finding all the books in a library to flesh out your Codex or trying different dialogue routes with npcs.. so far its varied and interesting.

Okay, I'm cool with that. So quite a bit of exploration?

brain_stew said:
The game is almost entirely CPU bound with a somewhat decent (4850+ level) GPU at max settings. Triple/quad core CPUs will give you a huge performance boost (as much as 75%).

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

This is going to run splendid. Splendid.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
RPGCrazied said:
darn, I just hope my last party member is a healer, I hate using pots/kits all the time.

Yeah my first character was a mage, and I don't know how you'd get through the initial tower section without a healer.

This combat system of this game is definitely more complicated than I'm used to, but I'm enjoying learning how everything works together.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I said earlier I would up load some screens. I'm going to have to take off the plural of that for now. I'm having way to much fun with this game.

Ultra High yada yada.. tinypic is not doing it justice.
6omovl.jpg

gotta play more cya..bye

played for a little bit, really enjoying it so far. aside from the graphics being a little less than what i thought it would be even for a console version.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Origins takes place entirely in Ferelden, right?

I really hope EA/Bioware capitalizes on this new IP (assuming Dragon Age is successful) and releases sequels / expansions that take us to the other regions of the world. It would be awesome to be able to go check out Orlais and the other countries.

By the way, does anyone know what the world is called in Dragon Age? I thought it was Ferelden until I realized that it is simply one of the many countries in the game world.

Another difference I noted between the 360 version and the PC: Character creation is more open at the beginning of the PC version. You first points are automatically assigned on the 360, but on the PC you have 5 free stat points and a couple of skill points you need to assign.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Really digging this game. Combat is pretty fun so far. Except i can't figure out how to get my pre-order items. I installed them and they show up in the journal it just doesn't tell me where to get them.

BigNastyCurve said:
Another difference I noted between the 360 version and the PC: Character creation is more open at the beginning of the PC version. You first points are automatically assigned on the 360, but on the PC you have 5 free stat points and a couple of skill points you need to assign.

I'm playing the 360 version and you get 5 stat points and a couple skill points at the start.

Liking it so far. Just finished the Human noble origin story.

THEY HAVE MY FAVORITE BEARD TYPE!

Anyway, the random really low textures on certain closeups is really starting to bother me. I'm really curious whether the PS3 version is that much better in this regard. ANy screen i can look at?

knitoe

bengraven said:
?

What do you mean? They're not in the package?
Blood armor and extra quest in the game box, but where's the Amazon exclusive pre-order code for Lion's Paw boots and a Ring?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Absoludacrous said:
Loving this game so far, but some of these cut-scenes are hard to take seriously with everyone covered in blood.

You can turn off "persistent gore" in the options (I think it was the video tab). The blood splatters will still appear during combat, but I think they gradually fade away after combat is concluded. I haven't tried turning it off yet, though.

I wish they included an option to make helms not be visible during gameplay. Thankfully helmets disappear for the cutscenes at least.

Sykotik

Anyone else having problems with the graphics settings not changing anything? I've tried reinstalling, installing to the default directory, changing the code in the documents. Nothing is working.

I'm thinking it may be scaled to VRAM. I'm using a single 4870 512 card.

Edit: Let me correct myself. I can't get the textures to look the same quality as most of the pictures in the thread at max settings. I'm turning the settings up ashigh as they go, but they don't compare at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gamer @ Heart said:
Liking it so far. Just finished the Human noble origin story.

THEY HAVE MY FAVORITE BEARD TYPE!

Anyway, the random really low textures on certain closeups is really starting to bother me. I'm really curious whether the PS3 version is that much better in this regard. ANy screen i can look at?

Duncan's beard?

I really liked the Human noble story.
I really expected there to be a bit more of the "lords and ladies" stuff before the action began. I didn't see the betrayalton and murder of my brother's wife and child coming at all.
I wonder how that origin plays out if you are a female.

knitoe said:
Blood armor and extra quest in the game box, but where's the Amazon exclusive pre-order code for Lion's Paw boots and a Ring?

I'm pretty sure Amazon emails the codes a few days after they ship the game. At least that's how they've always done it in the past.

Sykotik said:
Anyone else having problems with the graphics settings not changing anything? I've tried reinstalling, installing to the default directory, changing the code in the documents. Nothing is working.

I'm thinking it may be scaled to VRAM. I'm using a single 4870 512 card.

Edit: Let me correct myself. I can't get the textures to look the same quality as most of the pictures in the thread at max settings. I'm turning the settings up ashigh as they go, but they don't compare at all.

You got anisotropic filtering maxed?

Sallokin

Zefah said:
Duncan's beard?

I really liked the Human noble story.
I really expected there to be a bit more of the "lords and ladies" stuff before the action began. I didn't see the betrayalton and murder of my brother's wife and child coming at all.
I wonder how that origin plays out if you are a female.

It plays out the same. Just got through it with my female noble.

I'm also really pleasantly surprised at how easy the game is to navigate/play. From all the videos I saw the menus and action stuff looked extremely clunky. I'm still early and things have yet to get hectic at any point, but I'm really digging this so far.

vehn

alright so I got a question... how can Bioware be making this, Mass Effect 2, and SWTOR at the same time (unless they have 3 dev studios).

Synless

I'm sure this has been mentioned already but by looking at the trophies it shows some DLC trophies. When does that come out?

Swag

Damn the guys in this game are just straight BRUTAL. Story Spoilers after Jungle

Ser Jory was fucken owned, serves that pussy right. Btw anyone find all the chests in the Wilds? I searched that place like 4 times and couldn't find anything related to the quests in the Codex Notes

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit. I was hype oh and how it FUCKING delivered in under 3 hours.

Human Noble Warrior (figures =P). Origins story was good... BAM, plot twist. Awesome. Then we arrive at Ostagar... cool. Nice. Finish the first quest... hey nice surprise!

Then... OMG HOLY SHIT THIS IS BETTER THAN LOTR... after that... HOLY SHIT BOSS BATTLE!!... and then... FUUUUUUCK!!!... then again... ON SHIT NO!... then I stopped. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. AWESOME. Game.

360 here. Frame rate is very solid, minor stutters. Graphics do their job, not the best thing ever but they work. The soundtrack is just incredible. Beautiful in every sense and it goes along very well with the excellent VA. Loading times are bearable... sometimes a bit too long.

So far, really, really happy with the game. I found it a bit easy on Normal though... but the Boss Battle really made me rethink that :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sebulon3k said:
Damn the guys in this game are just straight BRUTAL. Story Spoilers after Jungle

Ser Jory was fucken owned, serves that pussy right. Btw anyone find all the chests in the Wilds? I searched that place like 4 times and couldn't find anything related to the quests in the Codex Notes

About that Grey Warden initiation scene
I really didn't expect Duncan to straight up stab Ser Jory. I guess the Grey Wardens are really protective about their "joining" ceremony.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
PC version here. I must admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. That's because its been quite awhile since playing a RPG this big and this good right out of the gate. Awesome.

Burger said:
Try changing Steam servers in your settings to something closer.

it wouldn't matter. i even went to speedtest to test connection. my ping compared to yesterday was 0-5ms. now it's 200?! Download speed was 20 to 3MB now :\

Synless said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned already but by looking at the trophies it shows some DLC trophies. When does that come out?

I believe it's out now. The Warden's Keep DLC is listed as $7 in the DLC menu, so I assume you can buy it now but I haven't tried.

RS4-

I think I'm going to stick with the PC version, I don't think I can even think about playing it on console.

15 or so hours in, completed only 10%.

Gravijah

Fuck me. I left this game completely off my radar, and now I'm faced with buying Forza 3 or this and I have no money. Maybe I'll just go start Persona 4... :(

Zefah said:
About that Grey Warden initiation scene
I really didn't expect Duncan to straight up stab Ser Jory. I guess the Grey Wardens are really protective about their "joining" ceremony.
He fucking wrecked his shit. I wholeheartedly think BioWare have delivered, hopefully the quality bar stays where it is, or rises. Will see about posting screenshots.

vehn said:
alright so I got a question... how can Bioware be making this, Mass Effect 2, and SWTOR at the same time (unless they have 3 dev studios).

This game has been in development for 5 years. Im sure the majority of work was finished awhile ago. ME2 has probably been the focus for the studio for a while now. The MMO is by a separate bioware studio in Austin, TX i believe.

Top Bottom