• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Flib

Castor Krieg said:
Can anyone confirm what ppl are reporting regarding characters created in Character's Creator? The fact that the game itself messes up the faces when importing pre-made characters making the pre-made characters useless?

Worked fine for 4 different characters of mine.

Alex

Maybe this is just me, I dunno, but I really, really think this game is sporting some pretty excellent visuals. I remember how much pre-release harping it had, but I'm extremely pleased with the fairly sizable leap Bioware has made from Mass Effect to this in graphics. It's not flawless or anything, but everything is very solid and sturdy looking, great textures, not nearly as much inconsistency as they had with Mass in caking random NPCs with low res stuff, etc

Really digging the new engine, overall. I've heard they made a lot of improvements for Mass 2, but I'm not sure if they just meant for the 360 or for the PC as well, since the PC version was hugely better in correcting some of the UE3 faults.

For difficulty, Im starting with hard then going nightmare. I think if I did anything less I'd just be annoyed on my initial experience with the game as anything being too easy kinda bugs me, personally.

Swag

Castor Krieg said:
Can anyone confirm what ppl are reporting regarding characters created in Character's Creator? The fact that the game itself messes up the faces when importing pre-made characters making the pre-made characters useless?

Fuck I didn't notice this till now, my elven mage's nose looks different from what I picked and her eyes are weird. Damnit I knew something was off, and I'm too late into the game to bother re doing stuff.

Ricker

Game looks fine on the 360...yes the textures are kind of low but it's clean enough and the framerate is a lot better then ME so far,pretty steady(after 2 hours)...the "radial" menu is still confusing a bit for now though but everything else is great...story,conversations,choices in conversations are awesome... five minutes into the game and you get a big decision to make...going to be an epic game.

Walshicus

I've already spent £100 on games this month, but it looks like the 360 version of this will earn itself a place in my house... I can wait, but I don't want to.

Alex

I dont like the radial thing on PC either. The interface is pretty good overall but thats one part I dont dig.

datamage said:
When you load the game and you check your DLC, there should be an option for redeem code somewhere. Clicking on that takes you to the Bioware social site for you to input the codes. (Make sure you sign in with the account tied to the game.)

To get the codes, right-click on the game in your Steam list, and select View game CD key.
Thanks for this. But curiously the third cd key on that list wont redeem. Maybe its not meant for this page ;/

Zeliard

Castor Krieg said:

My imported character came out with some slight but definitely noticeable facial differences. It was actually pretty disturbing. :lol

I ended up re-creating him entirely, since changing anything defaulted back to a preset. Some solid programming there.

So here's question for you guys. I know in a lot of PC games that allow for quick saving/loading people will quicksave all the time and just reload any time something happens that they don't like.

Are you guys going to go in a different direction on this one? My plan is if something goes wrong in a conversation and some bad shit happens then...o well, that's what happens, and I'll continue. I think it makes it a lot more interesting when stuff doesn't go the way you planned.

Tom Penny

WTF is this? Doesn't that go against everything we have heard in regards to graphics?

Gamespot

X360 8.5

The Bad

* Drab, underwhelming visuals
* Some glitches and interface irritations.

PS3 9.0

The Bad

* Various visual hiccups
* Some glitches and interface irritations.

The good ole graphics vs framerate debate

On the flip side, the Xbox 360 version looks positively disappointing. Textures are highly compressed and colors are washed out, though the upside is that this version maintains a smoother frame rate than on the PlayStation 3, where things might get jittery when swiveling the camera around. The PlayStation 3 version features higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times. Minor visual hiccups, like corpses that disappear and reappear, are a bit more common on the PS3, however. The PC version is the superior experience, but if you're choosing between the two console releases, the PlayStation 3 has the upper hand.

mr stroke

damn this thread for making me buy this today :(

Surprised how good this runs on my old pc-

X2 6400+
4 gig Ram
3870x2
Vista

running @ 1920x1200 with everything maxed w/no AA

game looks really good

Is there any chance that I could like the game considering I've never played Baldur's Gate but hated KoToR and Mass Effect (and Jade Empire too btw)??

Also, is it possible to play it with a dirty console peasant 360 controller on the PC version? I like my shitty casual controllers, but the console builds seem to look horrible :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Uhh... the hell? I put in the codes into the game, (I tried an incorrect code first to see what would happen "your code is not valid" etc etc) - and I get absolutely no message when they are input. I am like "whatevs" and restart the game like I am told to, but nothing happens.

I then try to go on the PSN store, but it's telling me it's not running in my region? The hell, is PSN down right now for any other people/Canadians?

Fredescu

Tom Penny said:
WTF is this? Doesn't that go against everything we have heard in regards to graphics?
People have complained about the framerate in the PS3 version, and the Gamespot video review says the same thing. They do mention that the textures are better on the PS3 though, which wasn't something we'd heard much about until then. The 360 vs PS3 decision comes down to framerate vs textures by the sounds of it.

Wormdundee said:
So here's question for you guys. I know in a lot of PC games that allow for quick saving/loading people will quicksave all the time and just reload any time something happens that they don't like.

Are you guys going to go in a different direction on this one? My plan is if something goes wrong in a conversation and some bad shit happens then...o well, that's what happens, and I'll continue. I think it makes it a lot more interesting when stuff doesn't go the way you planned.

I never reload even it means I get fucked up the ass. :D

So, is it possible to "dummy account" the PS3's DLC? I'm getting this game through Goozex and it would suck to have to pay an additional fee to get that stuff.....

Just got home with the CE. Was entering codes and was getting really pissed off because I couldn't find the Shale code.
It was on the back of the Blood Dragon Armor code

Fredescu

RockmanWhore said:
Is there any chance that I could like the game considering I've never played Baldur's Gate but hated KoToR and Mass Effect (and Jade Empire too btw)??
What didn't you like about KOTOR? Out of the ones that you've played, it will be most similar to that I think.

RockmanWhore said:
Also, is it possible to play it with a dirty console peasant 360 controller on the PC version? I like my shitty casual controllers, but the console builds seem to look horrible :lol
There's no native gamepad support. The console versions have a different interface to deal with the controller, like radial menus and so forth, that aren't in the PC version. It will probably be modded in down the track, but the out of the box interface looks very kb/m friendly.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
Alright! I’m installing it now to my 360 HDD. I’ll resurface in a couple hours to add impressions to the growing fray!

Well???

I'm stuck at work until 10PM and I want to know what you think since we share a brain. :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hmmm, looks like the Playstation Network is currently fucked - at least that's the impression I get reading the internet. Meaning the DLC is going to be out of my reach until it's fixed. Hopefully it'll be soon.

If I started the game now, and got the DLC later, would that work out? What I mean is, is the DLC accessible early in the game, something I can 'miss out on' if I play too far ahead?

Dark Stalkers said:
I never reload even it means I get fucked up the ass. :D

Yep same here. I'm kind of hoping some epic disaster hits me some way through just to see it happen. Super awesome game. I was never a big fan of Mass Effect or Kotor either but something about this game hits the right spot. Maybe it's because I was a big fan of WoW awhile back. :lol

Oh, and if anyone is wondering. I have the first generation aluminum iMac and it runs just fine. My previous problem with all the colors was fixed by just updating all the bootcamp drivers to 2.1 or whatever.

1680x1050 on Very High, No AA, Highest textures.

epmode

datamage said:
For those that pre-ordered the Deluxe Ed. from Steam, is it just 2 codes that you need to put in for the DLC?
You only need those 2 for the DLC but there's a third code which you can find by right-clicking the game in Steam and choosing to view the CD key. The third code is actually the game CD code used to register the game itself on Bioware's community site.

It's not working for me though. "Code is not valid for game"

Taiser

lol @ everyone haz chikz charas

2zgf2tv.jpg

21jvuia.jpg

34orjaa.jpg

2ivbqlj.jpg

Zeliard

Man, the game can look pretty damn good in combat, especially when spells are firing out. The spell effects are gorgeous.

Does anybody know if the achievements are linked to your online profile or the computer itself? I'm wondering if two people are playing on the same PC if only one person will be able to get any one of the achievements.

mr stroke

sound in this game is awesome, tons of LFE in the game, my sub is getting a work out. and surprisingly the voice acting is good(but WTF is up with your mute character? all the work into voice overs and you don't get a voice?!)

The first shot is my dog Morcubus in battle when I didn't realize the graphics were on Low. Second shot is an aftermath of a battle with my graphics at Very High. You never ever want to be on Low. You don't see any of the blood and all the environmental stuff is barely visible.

o52pao.jpg

2dhfaio.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Valru said:
mods dont make a average game better aka oblivion

mods make great games even better
see
counterstrike, Team Fortress, TFC, Desert Combat, DOTA

I don't even... what?

quaere

At this point I think I can safely say the PS3 version sets a new low for Bioware on a console. It's quite playable, but so were KOTOR and Mass Effect. If those technical issues bothered you, you're definitely not going to be happy with this version. I'm going to pick up the 360 later tonight and the PS3 copy is hitting eBay.

Fredescu said:
There's no native gamepad support. The console versions have a different interface to deal with the controller, like radial menus and so forth, that aren't in the PC version. It will probably be modded in down the track, but the out of the box interface looks very kb/m friendly.

I guess it makes more sense to play it with the mouse+keyboard combo but it seems like they spent some time making a nice gamepad interface. Thanks for the info though :)

RS4-

Fuck, anyone finish the Circle of Magi area? I just finished it but I need help with 2 sub quests

"Five pages four mages" and "Summoning Sciences."

About the latter, I did the first two steps, but having trouble with the third. I assume it means talking to someone I just saved but...it's probably not?

On PS3 version. Graphics/textures/framerate much better than I thought they were going to be.

Still glitches to be sure, but seems more together/less glitchy than Mass Effect was when it launched.

calder

Fucking Steam. Took forever to get it to start decrypting the files, and now it's been stuck on 74% for about 15 minutes. Not looking good. :(

FrankT

Xamdou said:
Just got the 360 version and so far so good!

How do I access the Stone Prisoner Quest after dling it?

That is kind of what I wondering. How long before I can access this guy?

Himuro said:
It's Bioware tradition to play as a lesbo the first time.

Well there is also the fact that if must stare at the ass of a charcter for 60+ hours, that ass better look good.

Also, do we know if it is possible to remove that tacky coat of blood you get after killing stuff?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Waiting on new HDD to arrive so I can get this. Can't wait. Last WRPG I enjoyed was Nox, hope this will get me back into it!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
CODE NOT RECOGNIZED CODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZED

FUKK~~~!!!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Brandon F said:
CODE NOT RECOGNIZED CODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZEDCODE NOT RECOGNIZED

FUKK~~~!!!

Well judging from your post you don't have a problem with holding down the shift key or pressing caps lock like I did on my first attempt installing the game.

Hari Seldon

Bioware's website is totally fucked. Took 100 tries just to create an account, and it won't let me register my game or promo codes. My god their MMO is going to be a total clusterfuck if they cannot even code a simple website.

Top Bottom