• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Liberty4all

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
Us?

Peasants?

It has begun -.-

Sucks about the PS3 version being delayed though =/

I thought the PS3 version wasn't delayed?

Also quick question guys ... I've never played an RPG like this before ... the closest I guess would be Oblivion which I hated due to the auto enemy lvling system.

Mass Effect I made it about an hour in before I turned it off in bordom.

I DO however enjoy high fantasy books (Robert Jordan for example), will this game feel like I'm playing a Robert Jordan novel?

HiResDes

Bamelin said:

Also quick question guys ... I've never played an RPG like this before ... the closest I guess would be Oblivion which I hated due to the auto enemy lvling system.

I DO however enjoy high fantasy books (Robert Jordan for example), will this game feel like I'm playing a Robert Jordan novel?
Leave this thread immediately.

hermit7

TheChillyAcademic said:
Sucks about the PS3 version being delayed though =/

Wasn't it announced that the PS3 version was going to be released same day as PC and 360?

Thought that was the announcement last week.

HiResDes said:
Don't make the mistake I made of getting a slow quad core...It's amazing for everything but gaming it seems. Unless you get an I7.

I'll use the gaming pc building thread to get the parts. I doubt I'll be springing for an I7 though, good god I'm not dropping a grand.

Even though I have a 360, this is definitely a PC game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
For North America: The PS3 Version will hit stores the same day the PC and 360 version will.

About the difference between the 360 and PS3 version... There is maybe 10 minutes of footage out there of the PS3 version. (GameSpot's On The Spot) and maybe 45 minutes of the 360. (I'm discounting the footage that still allowed you to zoom out.)

I don't think they have shown bigger battles or battles with Dragons in any console version though. (Flame effects?)

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
gregor7777 said:
Awesome impressions, Caspel. Thanks

We will be requiring a numbered score at the end of your playthrough. Your choice of scale. Text optional.

Here's a score for you -
MUST BUY!
haha.

Can you get away without using a rogue all the time without missing too much?

I'd have to say... out of 100 chests, 30 of them are locked and need to be picked. Of those thirty, 10 of them will be too high of a level for your rogue to unlock, so you might have to head back to the area to find out what goodies are in store.

Caspel, what character do you find yourself spending the most time on? Your created character or others?

I imagine I'd want to control a fighter type for taking point in a dungeon until engaging in which a mage would probably require the most attention with the AE spells. Does the AI allow for positioning? i.e. have a rogue always go for the back and have fighters hug one side so a mage can get an AE attack in easier.

I usually control my own created player unless there's a boss/elite level character that needs attention spent on by my teammates. If so, then I'll direct them to the character to concentrate on taking the enemy down, but for the most part, the tactics slots are helpful with having my teammates do what I want them to do (say, for Alistair, use Shield Bash on an enemy with less than 40 percent health, or Morrigan using Horror on any Elite level enemy to have them run away from the battle for a bit so I can concentrate on taking on the smaller level enemies first).

Chairhome

So, I got Mass Effect for PC but have not yet installed it. Should I play it and wait for this game to drop in price, or get this game and play Mass Effect later? I'm pretty hyped up about this game after seeing the giant bomb stuff.

HiResDes

Chairhome said:
So, I got Mass Effect for PC but have not yet installed it. Should I play it and wait for this game to drop in price, or get this game and play Mass Effect later? I'm pretty hyped up about this game after seeing the giant bomb stuff.
Mass Effect, just focus on the main missions, the sidequests are shitty and all of the side planets have the exact same layout only in different colors. You'll be done in about 15 hours or so.

knitoe

Amazon video game credit getting me to buy way to many games. Just pre-ordered X360 version using $5 off (Uncharted 2) and $10 Off (Forza 3) for release day delivery @ $42 total.

With DA and MW2, I'll have another $10 off and $20 off for a game.

Chairhome

HiResDes said:
Mass Effect, just focus on the main missions, the sidequests are shitty and all of the side planets have the exact same layout only in different colors. You'll be done in about 15 hours or so.
Thanks for the advice. I really want to wait to buy this, hopefully I don't succumb and buy it before I finish Mass Effect.

knitoe said:
Amazon video game credit getting me to buy way to many games. Just pre-ordered X360 version using $5 off (Uncharted 2) and $10 Off (Forza 3) for release day delivery @ $42 total.

With DA and MW2, I'll have another $10 off and $20 off for a game.
Can you install/download this via steam if you buy the PC version in a store?

Also for steam users...20gig download? Shiiiiii...

Fredescu

speedpop said:
So I just found out that Australia doesn't get this game till the 5th. God damn it.
I wonder if our Steam versions will unlock eariler or if they'll hold off until it's on shelves like they did with Borderlands. Doesn't matter for me, I ordered two copies from two separate retailers and took the next week off work to play it. I just hope one of them shows up by Friday.

Solideliquid said:
Also for steam users...20gig download? Shiiiiii...
I'm fairly sure it's a 20GB install but not a 20GB download.

Ricker

Caspel...is the 360 version in different languages,that go by the language of your console or will they have a french only/english only/etc version of the game...

Durante

How many discs is the 360 version? If one then this may be one of the games that actually has more detailed assets for the PC version.

Chairhome said:
Thanks for the advice. I really want to wait to buy this, hopefully I don't succumb and buy it before I finish Mass Effect.
Nah, depending on how much time you have, you can easily clear mass effect once before next week. I mean hell you can do a full clear probably two or three times if you really have nothing to do the whole week.

speedpop said:
So I just found out that Australia doesn't get this game till the 5th. God damn it.

I'm having next Friday off work to play it so hopefully my GAME order (PC) shows up on the 5th. Might even double dip and grab the 360 version for the couch factor :D

Has anyone who is playing now been able to unlock the Arcane Warrior spec? I'm very interested in that one, but unsure if it's going to be a half assed hybrid or a truly unique and worthy choice.

-Mikey-

With all the unique characters you can have in your party is there an option to house the toon you made?

Just don't know what class I'd like to choose since it seems you'll meet plenty of npc's that can join your party.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Durante said:
How many discs is the 360 version? If one then this may be one of the games that actually has more detailed assets for the PC version.

360 is only one disc. I haven't checked for other languages, but I'll do that late tonight if I have time before packing for my trip to San Fran to visit EA tomorrow. If I don't then, I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon after I land.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Damn i still can't decide if i want to Regular Steam it or Deluxe Edition Steam it. Think "+3 to a player's attributes", Warden's Keep, OST, and Wallpapers are worth about 15 bucks?

sendu

Neo Member
Ricker said:
is the 360 version in different languages,that go by the language of your console or will they have a french only/english only/etc version of the game...

It depends on the language you're interested in, which platform, and what version your retailer orders. Full details are here, but if you get a 360 copy that has French VO, you don't get any English VO. The only multi-language 360 is English-Italian-Spanish.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Bamelin said:

Oh, dear

Gattsu25

Banned
tadcalabash said:
They're quite entertaining. I've never played any D&D but am still having a great time.

Like listening to an action packed fantasy story being built from scratch, and the guys are usually hilarious while doing so.

Gotta love Jim's Magic Missile ®, the amazing noise producing light coin, and an unusually flammable dwarf.
Danne-Danger said:
I've never ever played non-videogame D&D and I still think those casts are phenomenal.

They do a really great job of explaining every move they do in hilarious ways.
Cool, found the podcast.

Podcast Homepage: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pod/20090218
RSS: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/rsspodcast.xml

TheFallen

The GB Quick Look for the console version sold me (sorry, I'm a console peasant - have to work on a Mac). Any thoughts on whether or not this is worth pre-ordering? Are any bonuses worth it? I detest GameStop and would much rather use my FYE gift cards if I can.

bengraven

Caspel said:
Well it's a mandatory "dungeon" -- if that's what you must call it. Though, once you enter, you can't leave until you finish the quest to eradicate the evil inside it.

Hm...may not want at that point. I hate not being able to leave a dungeon (damn you Mothership Zeta).

The first 2-4 hours is linear. Once you leave Lothering, the world is open and players can go to any area of their desire. I went to Redcliffe, Orzammar, and the Mage Tower (with a few side stops at specific areas for side-quests and items). I'm on my way to the forest to meet with the elves.

When I playing on the PC, I went to Denerim and that was the worst choice to start off with since it was uneventful (fighting mercenaries and assassins as opposed to zombies, werewolves, ent-like creatures, etc).

Almost every area or dungeon has paths to sneak past or behind the enemies for opportune attacks. Many enemies will actually fight one another.
I was a witness to an Ogre getting mauled by 6-7 giant spiders and it lost the battle. The next area over, a horde of darkspawn was getting overrun by giant spiders until their new enemy type that I had never encountered appeared.

This is why it gets GOTY for me.

Dresden

So... is anyone un-hyped about any of the romances? I'm going to slog through all of them, because I've done it for every BioWare game:)lol ), but none of the romantic interests are even remotely appealing. And those sex scenes look pretty bad.

Still, hyped for the game.

HiResDes said:
Don't make the mistake I made of getting a slow quad core...It's amazing for everything but gaming it seems. Unless you get an I7.

Hold your horses there. I have a 2.66 Ghz quad core (the i5 750) and I easily overclocked it to 4.00 ghz on stock cooling (I'm not joking). It runs undertemp unless every single core is going 100%. If you're worried about temperature you can still overclock to 3.6 Ghz and never come close to overtemping.

Running multiple benchmarks on my i5 it gets pretty much exactly the same performance as a stock i7 920.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dresden said:
So... is anyone un-hyped about any of the romances? I'm going to slog through all of them, because I've done it for every BioWare game:)lol ), but none of the romantic interests are even remotely appealing. And those sex scenes look pretty bad.

Still, hyped for the game.

They are never appealing. And they only encourage horrific fan mods.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wormdundee said:
Hold your horses there. I have a 2.66 Ghz quad core (the i5 750) and I easily overclocked it to 4.00 ghz on stock cooling (I'm not joking). It runs undertemp unless every single core is going 100%. If you're worried about temperature you can still overclock to 3.6 Ghz and never come close to overtemping.

Running multiple benchmarks on my i5 it gets pretty much exactly the same performance as a stock i7 920.

You're joking

HiResDes

Wormdundee said:

I said slow quad core, mine is a Phenom 9100e, which runs at about 1.8 GHZ on each core...Which is terrible for gaming.

NewLib

Banned
So does anyone know anything about the Warden's Quest event that Bioware is holding tommorow? It sounds like a competitive gaming competition between 10 teams, but Im a little confused on how they are going to keep score with a game with no score.

jabipun

EviLore said:
The review you're talking about IIRC mentioned that the dungeons are linear, not the game itself. From what I understand the game world is like BG2, where quests you take open up areas on the world map to travel to and you have many options in where to go and what to do.

Do the enemies scale? I hate that shit.

Also, the computerandvideo games review link mentions the "difficulty is silly." What does that mean?

I think loot games that are too easy kind of ruin the whole point of...loot. You know?

NewLib

Banned
jabipun said:
Do the enemies scale? I hate that shit.

They do, but like Baldur's Gate not Oblivion.

They dont scale completely to your level and if you reached a location once, cant beat it, leave, and come back later then the enemies dont scale. They just scale to keep some sort of balance in the game without requiring the player to play certain areas at a time.

jabipun

NewLib said:
They do, but like Baldur's Gate not Oblivion.

They dont scale completely to your level and if you reached a location once, cant beat it, leave, and come back later then the enemies dont scale. They just scale to keep some sort of balance in the game without requiring the player to play certain areas at a time.

Fuuuuck, goddamit STOP HAVING ENEMIES SCALE. If shit's too hard, good - that gives meaning to loot/customization/development/rpg elements, and the finding of it - to get better.

But if everything is at my fucking level what the fuck is the point of leveling. I hate this scaling bullshit. Oh, so I found some remarkable weapon - the game notices this and gives said weapon to the enemies. It's bullshit. Pass.

Fredescu

jabipun said:
Also, the computerandvideo games review link mentions the "difficulty is silly." What does that mean?
It means that the difficulty can be inconsistent. Most of the reviews are suggesting that even if you're playing on easy, there are many battles that are still very hard.

jabipun said:
I think loot games that are too easy kind of ruin the whole point of...loot. You know?
This isn't a "loot game" in the regular sense of the term.

Amazing OP. How are you guys having problems? Running a Netbook + Chrome and it works just fine.

Still not sold on this one, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for impressions :D

NewLib

Banned
jabipun said:
Fuuuuck, goddamit STOP HAVING ENEMIES SCALE. If shit's too hard, good - that gives meaning to loot, and the finding of it - to get better.

But if everything is at my fucking level what the fuck is the point of leveling. I hate this caling bullshit. Oh, so I found some remarkable weapon - the game notices this and gives said weapon to the enemies. It's bullshit. Pass.

Its not really a loot game. The scaling is pretty much a necessity since if you are going to let players access a large portion of the game all at once then its impossible to avoid some level of scaling without A. the player being unable to defeat anything at the beginning of the game or B. the challenge going away halfway through the game.

They said the scaling is similar to the Baldur's Gate II scaling which 1) Wasnt really noticeable unless you went to place early and didnt come back until the end of the game 2) Wasnt applied to any of the bosses.

Top Bottom