• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

I just ventured into this thread.

I've had passing interest in Dragon Age, but Evilore's OP might have swayed me from "maybe" to "Will buy... one day".

stealthieOne said:
can someone explain the battle system...like for the consoles...button presses result in actions right? cause i can't tell if this is an action rpg.

You simply use buttons to execute actions, if there aren't any the game defaults to basic "Attack". You can have up to 6 shortcuts which you access by X, Y, B or R.Trigger+X, Y, B.

Take a look at Giantbomb.com Quicklook of the X360 version.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
UK in second place behind the Bioware Community. Huzzah! Think they're taking a break, there's billowing fire on the screens or something.

Edit: CzechRep/Slovakia are "out".

EditEdit: Isometric looks slick as hell. Less things in the way compared to NWN2.

I imagine "always encounter the tougher/higher-level mobs" mods will be along shortly enough. If fans can make it happen in BG2, they'll make it happen here.

clashfan

Caspel said:
The 360 version is as polished as I could imagine. A few clipping problems, framerate has never bogged down, a few times the voices went silent while the characters were still animated. Since the 360 version can't zoom out, I can't really compare the two since I played the PC version from the isometric view. PC version did look better, but it's hard to compare when the view points are drastically different.

Sounds like it's safe to get the 360 version. My PC can't handle this game.

sendu

Neo Member
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Can someone post some of the + and - points from the review?

He didn't give a nice +/- summary, but the subscores were:
  • Graphics: 7.6/10
  • Sound: 9.7/10
  • Gameplay: 9.5/10
  • Longevity: 9.0/10
  • Multiplayer: N/A
  • Overall: 9.4/10

For reference, this reviewer's average score for a game over 55 reviews was 7.3/10.

Maybe I didn't read it thouroughly enough, but I don't think he discusses any real negatives in the text of the review. He does describe the console controls, and there's no negativity in that description.

sendu

Neo Member
DigitalDevil said:
soooo I'm confused. Will console owners not be able to get that pulled back "baldur's gate" look?

No, they won't. Yes, there is an old video showing that camera mode on the 360, but it was removed from console versions.

sendu said:
No, they won't. Yes, there is an old video showing that camera mode on the 360, but it was removed from console versions.

man..... that really sucks. I may have to upgrade my PC just so I can play it in that perspective. I'm sure the console version will be awesome too (probably will still get it), but I'm just not sure if I'll be able to rest knowing I can play it from that perspective on my PC.

hmmmmm. I have some thinkin' to do.

I'm not sure I'm bothered by the lack of a overhead view on the 360. I find myself normal wanting to be down and in the action on these sorta titles when they are on consoles (looks at Sacred 2). Though I can see PC people loving that they can get what I like to call "classic rpg viewpoint". I maybe even double dip later for the pc version. I simple have too much I'm buying this November to do it now.

Mrbob

From what I've read some of the differences on consoles

No mods on 360, but probable on PS3. To be determined

No friendly fire damage

Can't pull out the camera BG2 style

Less total number of on screen enemies, but their levels are balanced to the PC version. You face stronger enemies in more waves on consoles.

Obviously the interface is different, but I think the console interface looks fine and fully functional.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Can someone post some of the + and - points from the review? Stupid firewall...

Im prob going to get the PS3 version, but i imagine that this review would at least give me a rough idea on how the console versions are turning out.

Eh, I wouldn't count on that. The interface will be the same sure, but the graphics and performance definitely won't be.

Doytch

Thnikkaman said:
UK in second place behind the Bioware Community. Huzzah! Think they're taking a break, there's billowing fire on the screens or something.

Edit: CzechRep/Slovakia are "out".

EditEdit: Isometric looks slick as hell. Less things in the way compared to NWN2.
Noooooooooo.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Mrbob said:
From what I've read some of the differences on consoles

No mods on 360, but probable on PS3. To be determined
I wouldn't say probable. But you're right, no official word yet.

Mrbob said:
No friendly fire damage
That's a difficulty setting.

Mrbob said:
Less total number of on screen enemies, but their levels are balanced to the PC version. You face stronger enemies in less waves on consoles.
Are you sure? I think more waves would make more sense. If they can't have many on-screen, then having more waves with fewer enemies would be an easy balance.

Mrbob

Yeah more waves sorry. I had that backwards.

I thought the friendly fire damage was 50 percent on normal on pc, 100 percent on hard. Turned off on consoles.

Probable mods on the PS3? I highly doubt it. That's just talk.

Greg Z made it sound like if Sony approves it, Bioware will be bringing the best mods to PS3.

Durante

I also remember reading that there would be fewer, stronger enemies in the console version, but I can't find a definite source right now. I think it's probably though, it would likely be an easier change to make than having more spawn locations.

Edit: So I'm wrong. Any link for it?

koji

Durante said:
I also remember reading that there would be fewer, stronger enemies in the console version, but I can't find a definite source right now. I think it's probably though, it would likely be an easier change to make than having more spawn locations.

Hmm, I'm not sure about them waves... but PC version was more enemies on screen at the same time, console had fewer but stronger and I think also in waves.

FrankT

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, that's a looong way from probable IMO.

Agreed, if ever for that matter.

koji said:
Hmm, I'm not sure about them waves... but PC version was more enemies on screen at the same time, console had fewer but stronger and I think also in waves.

Seems to be what I've read as well.

Mrbob

Considering there is already precedent on PS3 with UT3, I would say it is a more sure thing than not. As anything, I guess technically nothing is a sure bet until it is fully confirmed.

It won't be as good as the PC version. I'm guessing Bioware will pick and choose the best ones on PC and then have to convert them to fit within the confines of the PS3. Also there is a possibility there may be a cost attached to the conversion process.

sendu

Neo Member
Durante said:

Edit: So I'm wrong. Any link for it?

No, you're correct:

The console version was rebalanced as, for memory reasons, there are generally fewer NPCs on screen at once for the console versions. So if we wanted the overall difficultly of an area to be "10" we could have one "3", two "2" and 3 "1" enemies on the PC. For the console we would make this two "3" and two "2" [or] create a wave system or whatever.

On a related note, you might see up to 40 characters on screen at once in the PC version, versus only about 25 on PS3.

Mrbob said:
Considering there is already precedent on PS3 with UT3, I would say it is a more sure thing than not. As anything, I guess technically nothing is a sure bet until it is fully confirmed.

It won't be as good as the PC version. I'm guessing Bioware will pick and choose the best ones on PC and then have to convert them to fit within the confines of the PS3. Also there is a possibility there may be a cost attached to the conversion process.

How many games are there for the PS3? There's exactly 1 that allowed for PC mods. People aren't exactly jumping up to include the functionality. Why in the world would you think it's anywhere close to a sure thing?

Bioware flippantly mentioned it and passed the buck to Sony. I'd wager there's no chance of it happening.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Himuro said:
Gosh, I can't stand hearing British accents for more than a few minutes. In movies it's fine, but actual conversations?

You're not going to like this game if you can't handle sustained British accentry... >_>

Dresden

Thnikkaman said:
You're not going to like this game if you can't handle sustained British accentry... >_>

Those guys are talking in a British accent, though. The game has British-British accents.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Himuro said:
Gosh, I can't stand hearing British accents for more than a few minutes. In movies it's fine, but actual conversations?
Don't worry. I'm sure a large pocket of the global population feels the same way about American and Canadian accents.

Mrbob

Female british accent is the sexiest voice in the world. MMMMMMmmmmmm.

Ok back to Dragon Age, any word on a steam preload yet? I am getting worried there won't be one. :(

Himuro said:

Fine. Hand your rights to use of the language over, and we'll say no more about it.

Dresden

So is anyone else excited about all the terrible mods that will come out for Dragon Age? I for one am interested in the usual suspects: the underage pedo paladin, the incestuous horny sibling, and the gay wiseass sorceror.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is the first podcast I've ever really listened to strangely enough. I agree with their stance on Warhammer though.. I was among those who never played the game but poured myself over the thick books that came along to flesh out the world.

Thnikkaman said:
Everybody has an accent.

Some people just have really neutral accents. Like me, which is really hard to have growing up in the south. Anyone could tell I'm American of course, but people would be incredibly hard pressed to figure out what region I came from based on my voice. Of course as soon as I call any soft drink a coke, it's all over.

Top Bottom