• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Jayge

Zefah said:
About that Grey Warden initiation scene
I really didn't expect Duncan to straight up stab Ser Jory. I guess the Grey Wardens are really protective about their "joining" ceremony.
I haven't gotten there quite yet but I saw it in a video stream and
quite frankly it was retarded of him to knife Jory, either he was going to pass the test or die anyway from the blood, so why not just force him to drink it? That was dumb.

Edit: regarding the
poop-key from the prisoner :lol
how do I distract that
fucking monotone creepy dude in front of the chest. I'm a Rogue but my stealth skill doesn't have any effect when I go to open it.

hulot

Alright, got it on 360 and I'm really sore for a top down view and better party management (even simple things like queuing without unpausing and unit placement). Two questions:
-my laptop specs are a Core Duo 2.5 GHz, 4gigs RAM, and an ATI Mobility HD 3650; will it run at least better than the 360?
-the items codes I got with my 360 CE, since they're tied to an EA account, would I be able to use them in the Steam version if I double dip?

Synless

rainking187 said:
I believe it's out now. The Warden's Keep DLC is listed as $7 in the DLC menu, so I assume you can buy it now but I haven't tried.
I actually don't own it right yet. I was looking at my buddies trophies and was just wondering about it. Thanks!

Aedile

Aside from the fact that it's a fantasy RPG, I'm not seeing any resemblance whatsoever to BG2; it's pretty much in line with the sort of approach Bioware has taken since KotOR. Somewhat disappointed due to my sky-high expectations, but it's still a good game on its own merits.

Does choosing the milquetoast/indifferent/jerkass dialogue options have any in-game effect? Conversations seem to end up at the same point regardless, and I'm not seeing any Scale of Quantified Politeness.

With all the great praise I'm glad to hear DA is making it to the top. Wish I had the extra money to pick this up; I'll just add to Goozex queue for now. Really interested to play this one. I got a tiny taste with the character creation demo on Steam!

hulot said:
Alright, got it on 360 and I'm really sore for a top down view and better party management (even simple things like queuing without unpausing and unit placement). Two questions:
-my laptop specs are a Core Duo 2.5 GHz, 4gigs RAM, and an ATI Mobility HD 3650; will it run at least better than the 360?
-the items codes I got with my 360 CE, since they're tied to an EA account, would I be able to use them in the Steam version if I double dip?

You should be fine for a slightly sub 360 experience in terms of performance/graphics.

Ceebs

Zefah said:
I wish they included an option to make helms not be visible during gameplay. Thankfully helmets disappear for the cutscenes at least.

This needs to be the FIRST mod that comes out. These helms are ugly beyond belief.

And for the person asking about the settings not changing, some of them require a restart of the game to take effect I believe.

Zzoram

Lafiel said:
Are you sure about that, because doesn't that card pass the min requirements? the min requirement is geforce 6600 and up. You might be able to run it at low at least.

Just because it starts with a 7 doesn't make it good. The 7100 is the equivalent to the 6200, both slow integrated. The 6600 is at least 5x as fast.

Alex

vehn said:
alright so I got a question... how can Bioware be making this, Mass Effect 2, and SWTOR at the same time (unless they have 3 dev studios).

They got money and they reformed and expanded.

Same way Blizzard bled off their North studio but now has WoW, SC2, Diablo III and a new MMO under dev at the same time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jayge said:
I haven't gotten there quite yet but I saw it in a video stream and
quite frankly it was retarded of him to knife Jory, either he was going to pass the test or die anyway from the blood, so why not just force him to drink it? That was dumb.

Edit: regarding the
poop-key from the prisoner :lol
how do I distract that
fucking monotone creepy dude in front of the chest. I'm a Rogue but my stealth skill doesn't have any effect when I go to open it.

Regarding your question:
He leaves later on. Once you return from the wilds with the treaties I believe he is gone and the chest is free for the plundering. It might have been after the grey warden "joining", though.

Sallokin

Alex said:
They got money and they reformed and expanded.

Same way Blizzard bled off their North studio but now has WoW, SC2, Diablo III and a new MMO under dev at the same time.

Hasn't SWTOR been being develop out of their Austin studio the entire time anyway? That at least frees up the Edmonton side to stagger (somewhat) projects. Now that DA is out they're still working on SWTOR, ME2 (which is out super soon anyway) and an unannounced third project.

bengraven

Relix said:
Holy shit. I was hype oh and how it FUCKING delivered in under 3 hours.

Human Noble Warrior (figures =P). Origins story was good... BAM, plot twist. Awesome. Then we arrive at Ostagar... cool. Nice. Finish the first quest... hey nice surprise!

Then... OMG HOLY SHIT THIS IS BETTER THAN LOTR... after that... HOLY SHIT BOSS BATTLE!!... and then... FUUUUUUCK!!!... then again... ON SHIT NO!... then I stopped. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. AWESOME. Game.

360 here. Frame rate is very solid, minor stutters. Graphics do their job, not the best thing ever but they work. The soundtrack is just incredible. Beautiful in every sense and it goes along very well with the excellent VA. Loading times are bearable... sometimes a bit too long.

So far, really, really happy with the game. I found it a bit easy on Normal though... but the Boss Battle really made me rethink that :lol

Kintaro said:
PC version here. I must admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. That's because its been quite awhile since playing a RPG this big and this good right out of the gate. Awesome.

These impressions left me with a high.

Zefah said:
I really didn't expect Duncan to straight up stab Ser Jory. I guess the Grey Wardens are really protective about their "joining" ceremony.

Jesus, then I had to read the first part of your spoiler, then I had to read the rest while quoting your fucking spoiler. :/

FrankT

beast786 said:

While I'd love to say that Dragon Age looks phenomenal, that isn't accurate on the PS3 and Xbox 360. The graphics aren't as crisp as they are on the PC, and character models can be rather hit or miss. General character animations can be a bit stiff, but the battle animations are pretty solid. There is a lot of screen tearing, and I wish that you could maneuver the camera perspective out of its locked position. While I can understand that a locked camera helps keep the focus on the battle and action, it would be useful to get a larger glimpse of the battlefield. Additionally, there are a number of framerate hitches, more so on the PS3 than the 360. It doesn't break gameplay, but with a game that runs for sixty to eighty hours, that starts to add up over time.

What is this screen tearing they speak of heh. Anyhow, if there is one thing I'm pleased with as much as the solid framerate I've yet to catch any tearing. Not saying it isn't there in the 360 version, but I've yet to see it.

Relix said:
Holy shit. I was hype oh and how it FUCKING delivered in under 3 hours.

Human Noble Warrior (figures =P). Origins story was good... BAM, plot twist. Awesome. Then we arrive at Ostagar... cool. Nice. Finish the first quest... hey nice surprise!

Then... OMG HOLY SHIT THIS IS BETTER THAN LOTR... after that... HOLY SHIT BOSS BATTLE!!... and then... FUUUUUUCK!!!... then again... ON SHIT NO!... then I stopped. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. AWESOME. Game.

360 here. Frame rate is very solid, minor stutters. Graphics do their job, not the best thing ever but they work. The soundtrack is just incredible. Beautiful in every sense and it goes along very well with the excellent VA. Loading times are bearable... sometimes a bit too long.

So far, really, really happy with the game. I found it a bit easy on Normal though... but the Boss Battle really made me rethink that :lol

Right there with ya. Game is incredible.

Zefah said:

Yea the first thing that came to my mind was....that doesn't look very honorable heh

Suairyu

Banned
Query: is the writing generally of a higher standard than what was glimpsed in the trailers and origin reveals? The gameplay and art style make me very interested in this game, but the weak script work and wooden acting I've seen in the marketing materials has really put me off.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Aedile said:
Aside from the fact that it's a fantasy RPG, I'm not seeing any resemblance whatsoever to BG2; it's pretty much in line with the sort of approach Bioware has taken since KotOR. Somewhat disappointed due to my sky-high expectations, but it's still a good game on its own merits.

Does choosing the milquetoast/indifferent/jerkass dialogue options have any in-game effect? Conversations seem to end up at the same point regardless, and I'm not seeing any Scale of Quantified Politeness.

Different stroke for different folks I guess. I am a huge BG2 fan, but 6 hours and in I think I already like Dragon Age more.

The different politeness levels will definitely affect your standing with party members during conversations at camp. I've seen multiple situations where the wording of my response will dictate the outcome of the conversation. This probably doesn't apply to some of the conversations directly related to the main quest, though. So far I am very impressed with how many different responses / outcomes there are depending on my dialogue choices and party makeup. I just made it to a part in the game where having a certain party member with me angered an NPC to the point that they won't talk to me anymore.

Alex

Query: is the writing generally of a higher standard than what was glimpsed in the trailers and origin reveals? The gameplay and art style make me very interested in this game, but the weak script work and wooden acting I've seen in the marketing materials has really put me off.

yes, quite. the narrative and characters are significantly better than work they've done since BG2, IMO. the dialog in general drags you in a lot better, it's pretty much the opposite of what I would've expected a few months ago.

markatisu

Soundtrack is amazing!!

Loaded it on the 360 and logged into the EA account and got my ring from creating my character last month

Zzoram

DancingJesus said:
I really wish this game was more stylized, the graphics and setting are so damn generic. It looks like a typical DnD clone to me. Oh well, hopefully the story makes it worthwhile.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were DnD based games, and they were the best DnD based games. Given that this is the spiritual successor to those games, it is quite appropriate for it to feel like DnD.

Himuro said:
It's awkward being the only black character in the game so far while everyone in your family is white. Guess I was adopted? Did my father bone one of the maids?
At least there are options to be black and not a dark purple/brown like in oblivion
And it wasn't the maids it was the hen keeper!!

Gravijah

Himuro said:
It's awkward being the only black character in the game so far while everyone in your family is white. Guess I was adopted? Did my father bone one of the maids?

You find out later you were adopted, and you set forth on a 5 hour sidequest to find your family, and ultimately, yourself.

Not really :(

Zeliard

Suairyu said:

The trailers put everyone off. What's in the game is pretty damn impressive. The very strong voice work sells it, and the facial animation and general acting still have issues but are far superior to Bethesda's stuff and past Bioware titles.

The dialogue also more often than not tends to be pretty solid and engaging, as well as varied in tone and attitude between different characters. The characterization is really great in terms of individualizing each character, even more minor ones - it reminds me of what you'd find in a game like Riddick, where the overall cast is quite a bit smaller.

I also criticized the game's visuals some when I first started playing, but the game seriously has its moments in that area as well. Some of the landscapes and other environments (like castles) are really nice, and combat can also be visually impressive a lot of the time.

Didn't think Bioware still had it in 'em. This game is really strong.

careksims

Can't stop playing! Loving it so much! Just got to the town and wow. Too awesome. :D I certainly love the banter between characters and I can say I'm really enjoying writing so far. Got a lot of chuckles out it.

LCfiner

So as I said earlier in the thread, I only just now completed Ostagar but there’s been a few story touches that I quite like. I don’t keep up with fantasy novels so I don’t know how much Bioware has lifted from them but these things stuck out for me.

First, I like how the Magi are basically enslaved by humanity. that they’re so dangerous that they’re kept prisoner in the tower and unable to leave. The few conversations I’ve had with The Tranquil mages were really disconcerting and added a really nice touch to the feeling of being part of this world.

Similarly, the backstory of The Templars who become, essentially, drugfiends in order to have the magic power necessary to control the mages is pretty cool.

Those are the bits of lore and world building that I think work well and add some depth to it all. I fully expect to find similar touches when I later play the Dwarven and Human origin stories down the line

Second, the incident at Ostagar where
you are betrayed by the other humans came as a surprise to me. it really is a “dark fantasy” take on the LOTR battle of helm’s deep. Instead of the flanking attack that comes in to save the day, politics sours the entire mission and you are defeated. I like it. Oh, and Duncan killing an Ogre with his swords and then using them to climb up the beast. AWESOME!

bengraven

Himuro said:

Wow, that would make for awkward Christmas mornings.

Swag

Can anyone help me understand fatigue, my mage has a fatigue level of 0.5 does this mean that spells cost 50% more mana to cast? I've noticed that I oom much faster then usual but I'm wearing all light armor, do I get fatigued regardless of what class of armor I have equipped?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Wow this game is awesome so far. Anyone else playing as a Dwarf that is the King's Son? I loved the origin story.

Nemesis_

I really liked the look of the Desire Demon and the whole concept. I have only run into one, but the way the previews and stuff have talked about them has made them seem like a regular occurance.

Awesome design too. :D

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
WHOAguitarninja said:
Question for the PC players. How similar is this to D&D rules. I want an RPG to play but I hate the D&D rule set.

It is nothing like D&D. You issue commands like in KotOR/IE games and combat runs kind of like WoW where all of your skills run off of cooldowns and mana/energy.

I wish my helmet wouldn't disappear during every conversation. I don't like my guy's face anymore and would rather keep the helmet on at all times. :lol

2pqs7r5.jpg

LCfiner

Zeliard said:
:lol

Yep. Going through that as well. People just straight up hatin.

I’m just telling ‘em to go fuck themselves. I’m a goddamn Grey Warden. They ain’t got shit. on. me.

Nice moment: after leaving Ostagar and heading north
I came across the toll booth collectors and just lit their asses on fire and took all their cash after they refused my entirely reasonable proposal of taking all their money. Think I’ll get myself some fancy elf robes or some shit. Oh, and as my fire spell was still active when they surrendered, the dude was speaking to me and bargaining during the cutscene and was on fire the entire time. <3 in engine cutscenes

wtf. i played the Flash game and unlocked an item. i even logged into my account. how do i make it show? and my character I created i uploaded but it doesn't show?

So i take the social network doesn't work? ;o

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got to the world map. Pretty fun so far. The writing is competent, and all the unique responses to your dialogue choices are impressive. Playing on hard, I got instakilled a couple times from a big spell, but nothing I couldn't handle. Challenge is just about right overall.

Woo-Fu

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Ugh any tips to beating (5 hours in)

revenant in the courtyard

if you stay by the door when you zone in you can pull the archers from up top first, kill them with ranged attacks while staying huddled around the door. After they're done you can pull the revenant by himself with a bow. Then just make sure everybody in your party is unloading on him. Even using my strongest attacks and poisons and he still knocked out 2 of my party and put a beating on the other two.

After getting past that I got royally fucked by the next encounter. Decided to take a break, was a bit frustrated with the wild swings in difficulty level. They're either a cakewalk or they're group suicide.

NewLib

Banned
Also, atleast in the early game: Mind blast = the shit. Seriously, that spell rocks. I think I might be spreading myself a bit thin, but I plan on being the only mage in my party. So I took heal, lightning (as an early damage spell), mind blast (awesome), drain life (havent got to use it yet), disoreint, and horror (I really want to use the sleep + horror combo as Ive heard nightmare is pretty good on the damage).

Also shield bash is a life saver.

Edit: Also Im usually nice in my games, but Im finding it increasingly hard to be so and really just want to slap some of the people in this game. You say what about my pointy ears?!?

The IGN review shits on the console versions, and claims that they're "much easier" than the PC version and "designed for fast action". He claims that you can't play on the PC without pausing a lot, but on the consoles, you can.

Meanwhile, the devs have gone on record as recently as like yesterday saying that the difficulty is about the same, that the main differences (besides the lack of overhead view and the friendly fire thing) are that the PC has more enemies at once, but the consoles balance it by making the enemies harder.

so what's the truth? is IGN talking out its ass (shock!)?

Anybody running the game on a machine that is closer to the minimum specs?

Processor : Intel Core 2(or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater AMD X2(or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater
RAM : 1GB or more
Video Card : ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater

If so, can you post a couple screenshots? My machine fits in line with the minimum and I want to see how it looks and runs before dropping $50.

hyduK

Banned
This game is amazing. I rolled a Human Warrior...loving the gameplay so far, combat is at a very good pace, and of course the dialogue is spot on. I only played through the first section, but I'm already pretty immersed.
Howe's gunna die

I wish it ran a bit better on my PC though...solid framerate but on medium settings with no AA.

K2Valor said:
Wow this game is awesome so far. Anyone else playing as a Dwarf that is the King's Son? I loved the origin story.

I'm a sexy little dwarf but I picked the other origin: the peasant. It was really awesome
to kill all those fuckers in their own arena

I have a question about something I saw during one of the live streams, not sure how far into the game it was though so
I saw a desire demon controlling this guy and ended up forcing him to fight you. In the stream the player killed the guy and then the desire demon. If anyone knows what I'm talking about would it be possible to save the guy if you killed the desire demon first? Or do you have no choice?

Top Bottom