• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

NewLib

Banned
Zefah said:
Are you using Morrigan? Her Vulnerability Hex spell (resist debuff) is extremely effective on more powerful foes. Cast that on them first and then follow up with Winter's Grasp, Lightning and Drain Life for some massive damage. Doing this will almost certainly pull aggro on Morrigan, though, so have your healing poultices ready or a party member that can taunt the enemy off her.

Ill look into getting the Vulnerability Hex soon as it was one of the spells I was looking at. Also im not using Morrigan as Im still in Ostagar. But I dont plan on using her in the long run as I kind of wanted my companions in my first run to be a hexing/healing mage (PC), rogue archer (Leliana), Tank (Shale), and Damage-Giving Warrior (Probably Alistar).

MrDaravon

For whatever it's worth on 360 after playing for about 5 hours I noticed NO screen tearing at all (playing via HDMI 1080p), and offhand I didn't notice any slowdown, at least that I can recall.

RPGCrazied

the framerate is smooth on 360, cept sometimes in the cutscenes it can stutter off/on

other than that, its good. I haven't seen a lick of screen tearing either

anarchron

Neo Member
Mutagenic said:
No, I don't think it'd be worth it at all. Sounds like better textures on PS3, but smoother framerate on 360. You'd be foolish to lose all that money just to switch.

Ah....if only I could afford a proper gaming rig...

I'm surprised though that this was the case. Especially how BioWare have their roots in PC Games and one would think that if the game was actually a port of the PC version, then the 360 should be superior in graphics than the PS3 (or so that was my belief until Dragon Age upset that status quo).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I've been torn as to whether I should start as a Dwarf or pick a race that allows magic use. I'm usually a fighter of some sort but I've been thinking of being a Mage this time around. Normally when I play D&D I seek out some way to get a pet. If the warhound is bound to only the Human noble........ I may become torn in multiple directions.lol

edit: So its possible for anyone to get a warhound? SWEET!

Be aware that the Warhound isn't a pet in the traditional sense. He occupies a party member slot. He does good damage and has some useful abilities (albeit few in number), though.

Running the game at 1440x900 @ Max Setting With VSync On and Turned off Frame Buffer(?) runs real good. Feels so good to have a system that can run it so well.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mutagenic said:
No, I don't think it'd be worth it at all. Sounds like better textures on PS3, but smoother framerate on 360. You'd be foolish to lose all that money just to switch.

I don't know... these textures look absolutely awful on the 360. The frame rate is quite nice though. I really wish I could see the PS3 SKU in action to see how much better it looks with the frame rate trade off.

The main thing that is driving me crazy is the sound sampling though. If the voices are less compressed sounding on the PS3, that would drive me over the edge.

fizzelopeguss said:
Normally all the hype can fuck off, especially around bioware games, but after sinking shit loads of time into this...looks like david gaider has actually pulled it off.

So long as the pace keeps up this game is the real deal us crpg geeks have been waiting for.

Keep in mind around 250 other people made the game too lol...

anarchron

Neo Member
FlyinJ said:
I don't know... these textures look absolutely awful on the 360. The frame rate is quite nice though. I really wish I could see the PS3 SKU in action to see how much better it looks with the frame rate trade off.

The main thing that is driving me crazy is the sound sampling though. If the voices are less compressed sounding on the PS3, that would drive me over the edge.

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice how ugly the textures were on the characters, especially in the closeup cutscenes. They really looked like Wii standard textures.

I think the sound might be better on the PS3 too. Class_A_Ninja reported that it has a DTS support which usually means higher bitrate sound.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
anarchron said:
Ah....if only I could afford a proper gaming rig...

I'm surprised though that this was the case. Especially how BioWare have their roots in PC Games and one would think that if the game was actually a port of the PC version, then the 360 should be superior in graphics than the PS3 (or so that was my belief until Dragon Age upset that status quo).

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the system's performance. By all means the game should run better on the 360 considering it is a port from the PC version and it does run better. I'm pretty sure the game only sports worse textures than the PS3 version because they wanted to fit it on a single DVD. The game is close to 16GB installed on the PC and they need to get it down to half that size to fit on a single DVD.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
FlyinJ said:

Well, I'm a framerate whore and I'm finally about to play PS3 version after the long install and pre-order code download nonsense. I'll comment on performance in a few.

anarchron

Neo Member
Zefah said:
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the system's performance. By all means the game should run better on the 360 considering it is a port from the PC version and it does run better. I'm pretty sure the game only sports worse textures than the PS3 version because they wanted to fit it on a single DVD. The game is close to 16GB installed on the PC and they need to get it down to half that size to fit on a single DVD.

Good point. I knew that was always going to be a problem for the 360, but not this early on. Dragon Age Origins really might be the first cross platform title that truly highlights the inadequacies of DVD9 as a storage medium for new games.

t97388.jpg

My mage is awesome. he can levitate!

EDIT: why is it so dark? wtf.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
clashfan said:
I find it alittle strange that my character doesn't speak my conversation selection.

I prefer it honestly. If I just read the exact sentence I wanted to say, why would I then want to listen to some voice actor read those same lines? I know some people really enjoy this kind of stuff and I think it worked fine in Mass Effect, but personally I prefer this. It also allows for their to be a lot more dialogue options and reactions.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Two stupid questions.

1) Does Steam include the game's instructions?
2) If not, how do you set up your party's camp? I need to recover injuries. I'm not sure if it's in a specific place or if I'm just missing a command.

anarchron said:
Yeah, I couldn't help but notice how ugly the textures were on the characters, especially in the closeup cutscenes. They really looked like Wii standard textures.

I think the sound might be better on the PS3 too. Class_A_Ninja reported that it has a DTS support which usually means higher bitrate sound.

Watch out though, it did cut out a few times in the human starting area, ala borderlands. It isn't nearly on the same level. The sound hasn't cut out since, and stuff like cut scenes and battles didn't have the issue. Perfect sound it is not; but, I usually get excited to see the DTS logo pop up because it means someone paid attention while porting the game.

I know I posted this before but I'm really pissed off that my fucking Blood Armor disappeared. I saw it when I started but now it's nowhere to be found...

360 version btw

Sobriquet

Zefah said:
I prefer it honestly. If I just read the exact sentence I wanted to say, why would I then want to listen to some voice actor read those same lines? I know some people really enjoy this kind of stuff and I think it worked fine in Mass Effect, but personally I prefer this. It also allows for their to be a lot more dialogue options and reactions.
It worked in Mass Effect because what Shepard said was always a surprise.

Has anyone been able to register their 360 collectors edition at the Bioware social site thing? Whats the secret, dashes or spaces or what. I just can't get the damn thing to work.

Also, why am I trying to register this anyway? Whats the point of all these stupid EA and Bioware profiles?

Artchur

Anyone playing this on a laptop? I'm using a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2gghz, 4 gig ddr3 ram, and a Nvidia G210M 512mb video card.. I wasn't sure that it would be able to play smoothly, but I just took the demo of L4D2 for a spin... recommended settings were mostly at at high.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Two stupid questions.

1) Does Steam include the game's instructions?
2) If not, how do you set up your party's camp? I need to recover injuries. I'm not sure if it's in a specific place or if I'm just missing a command.

You can recover injuries by using injury kits. Surely you have a few of those in your inventory?

You don't get access to the camp until after the Battle of Ostagar when the world map opens up. There is an icon in the top-right corner of the world map that allows you to go into your party's camp which I believe automatically recovers all injuries.

MarshallVaako said:
Has anyone been able to register their 360 collectors edition at the Bioware social site thing? Whats the secret, dashes or spaces or what. I just can't get the damn thing to work.

Also, why am I trying to register this anyway? Whats the point of all these stupid EA and Bioware profiles?

did you try all caps? that did the trick for me.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
PS3: Cutscenes stutter. Framerate isn't good, most notably when panning the camera around slowly. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to it or not. The textures certainly aren't great, but they get the job done. The grass sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm an elf, and everyone's hands are mutant looking. Now I wish I had a 360 version here so I can compare the two.

Zzoram

Mutagenic said:
PS3: Cutscenes stutter. Framerate isn't good, most notably when panning the camera around slowly. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to it or not. The textures certainly aren't great, but they get the job done. The grass sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm an elf, and everyone's hands are mutant looking. Now I wish I had a 360 version here so I can compare the two.

The 360 version doesn't look any better. It apparently looks a bit worse but runs ~5fps better as a result.

7 hours in. question about
the fade
how the fuck do i get out of it? been wondering around templar's nightmare for a while now.. do i have to
do all the nodes?
also how the fuck do you open the massive doors with the
golem

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Artchur said:
Anyone playing this on a laptop? I'm using a Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2gghz, 4 gig ddr3 ram, and a Nvidia G210M 512mb video card.. I wasn't sure that it would be able to play smoothly, but I just took the demo of L4D2 for a spin... recommended settings were mostly at at high.

If it can run L4D2 without too much of a problem you should be able to run Dragon Age. It seems like the game is optimized pretty well. That G210M sounds like a pretty weak card (I think it is the equivalent or slightly lesser version of a 9600M), but if you keep the resolution around 1280x800 or lower I bet you won't have too many problems running the game. Some settings might need to be turned down to get it running smooth, but I really have no idea.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zefah said:
You can recover injuries by using injury kits. Surely you have a few of those in your inventory?

You don't get access to the camp until after the Battle of Ostagar when the world map opens up. There is an icon in the top-right corner of the world map that allows you to go into your party's camp which I believe automatically recovers all injuries.

Nice, thanks. I didn't know if there was a camp in each place or what have you. Appreciate it. :D

kodt

Banned
game is amazing so far. Great environments, good story. Combat is challenging and requires tactics.

I am shocked at how poorly it was marketed, honestly it made the game look like generic rpg 101, but this game is great. (PC version)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mutagenic said:

How is the sound sampling?

Zzoram

TheHeretic said:
Getting this soon. Any idea of how it should run on a Quad 3.3, 4GB Ram and 8800 GTS 512?

Resolution is 1680x1050.

Maxed. The game is pretty heavily CPU bound apparently, and benefits a lot from quadcores.

I entered my codes from steam. got my ring and Stone Prisoner's DLC. Also got 2 stuff from the flash game and other random preorder junk.
and whose bright idea to use points to buy DLC? WTF.

Mrbob

TheHeretic said:
Getting this soon. Any idea of how it should run on a Quad 3.3, 4GB Ram and 8800 GTS 512?

Resolution is 1680x1050.

Very good more than likely.

Granted, I'm running in 1440 X 900 at the moment. I have a dual core at 2.9gzh with 2gb ram in windows 7...with everything maxxed and 2xAA I get 60fps with some occasional slowdown in the 40s. You should be set with more powerful hardware.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mutagenic said:
Water doesn't react when walked in, hmm. I bet it does in that fancy PC version.

Actually, I don't think it does. The whole world is pretty static, but I don't mind at all considering the type of game it is.

Patryn

Spoilers for Redcliffe

Dear god, the people are dumb as shit. I set up the fire trap, then Ser Perth went and committed suicide by running and fighting right in the middle of the fire. I had everything under control until he and his entire band decided that they wanted a little heat.

Then the first time I did the village portion, everything went swimmingly. Except that right after, I accidentally, uh, murdered the doomsayer. I felt bad, and I thought I had saved after the fight, so I turned my machine off for a while. I came back to find that it only autosaved in the middle, so I had to do the bottom portion. Suddenly, Murdoch has become suicidal, by constantly running right into the fray instead of hanging back and sniping.

So.... frustrating... I kept retrying, trying to keep them alive. Eventually I just said screw it, and let them both die and continued on.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Zefah said:
Actually, I don't think it does. The whole world is pretty static, but I don't mind at all considering the type of game it is.
I don't mind, just not used to environments that static.

Top Bottom