• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zeliard

NewLib said:
Also, atleast in the early game: Mind blast = the shit. Seriously, that spell rocks. I think I might be spreading myself a bit thin, but I plan on being the only mage in my party. So I took heal, lightning (as an early damage spell), mind blast (awesome), drain life (havent got to use it yet), disoreint, and horror (I really want to use the sleep + horror combo as Ive heard nightmare is pretty good on the damage).

Hmm.. good call. I need to look into some of the other spell combos as well.

Winter's Grasp is pretty useful as well early in the game. Has a chance to freeze the enemy for a few seconds, which has come in handy.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dragonage01.jpg

dragonage02.jpg

1080p/very high, 60fps locked. i7 3.6ghz + 5870.

I want this bad and having money has nothing to do with it. We're moving into our new house Nov. 9th and I manage retail so were getting ready to start 6 day weeks for the holidays.

I remember when my bank account was the only thing stopping me from playing a game... damn you real life adult hassles.

bengraven said:
Fuck I won't be playing tonight.

I hate all of you that don't have meddling wives.

Can we have the backstory to this? Were you originally supposed to be able to play and got into a fight? Did she not know you were getting the game? so many questions.

My wife knows big release weeks are off limits for "hang-out time"

LCfiner

Suburban_Nooblet said:
I want this bad and having money has nothing to do with it. We're moving into our new house Nov. 9th and I manage retail so were getting ready to start 6 day weeks for the holidays.

I remember when my bank account was the only thing stopping me from playing a game... damn you real life adult hassles.

Quit Your Life

Roll a New One

bigswords

Damn I am taken aback by this game , saw the trailers everything look pretty damn generic. But the voice acting, pacing of the story was pretty damn good.

Playing on the 360 version, load times are fast if you install the game. FPS is stable.

bengraven

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Can we have the backstory to this? Were you originally supposed to be able to play and got into a fight? Did she not know you were getting the game? so many questions.

My wife knows big release weeks are off limits for "hang-out time"

Without getting too personal, my wife suffers from insomnia and some nights has trouble sleeping. This is one of those nights. I get home at midnight for work: if she wakes up at 1 or 5am and I'm playing Dragon Age (or any videogame), she will walk out the door with my son and serve me papers (before we're officially married).

She hates when I play games, period, and if it interupts her sleep schedule it's a huge sin.

Oh, but come hell or high water, I am installing this when I get home at least. :lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Himuro said:
It's awkward being the only black character in the game so far while everyone in your family is white. Guess I was adopted? Did my father bone one of the maids?

Look at it this way. Your dad, the Teryn or whatever he his, was the Thomas Jefferson of Dragon Age.

Effect

I can't believe I was able to not buy this game when in the store today. My will power is getting stronger. :lol I can't wait to play this game but I have so many others I need to finish first. Hopefully by the time I'm done with Tales of Vesperia the price will have lowered a bit in case it doesn't sell well. If not then I'll have to pay full price then. I'm actually not even going to bother reading or watch the video reviews of the game. Much to tempting.

So coming from someone doesn't notice frame-rate issues the PS3 version is fine compared to the 360 version?

Oh and what's the combat like?

Patryn

dk_ said:
Is it possible to turn off the sticky blood?
If you're playing on 360 it is. Check your options menu. There's an option for turning off persistent gore.

BTW... enabling Mabari Dominance cracks me up every time.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question about the included codes-

If I install both the blood dragon armor and the fury of shale, do I get them right away in the game, or do I have to earn them?

I don't want to install them if they are going to make me uber right out of the gate...

Effect

Himuro said:
It's awkward being the only black character in the game so far while everyone in your family is white. Guess I was adopted? Did my father bone one of the maids?

At least the option is there to create your character in the skin color of your choice. It's beyond annoying when that isn't allowed. I was wondering about that.

Gravijah

FlyinJ said:

If I install both the blood dragon armor and the fury of shale, do I get them right away in the game, or do I have to earn them?

I don't want to install them if they are going to make me uber right out of the gate...

From my reading of the thread, it seems like the armor has a high str requirement, not sure about the other. So you wouldn't be able to just toss them on.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just finished the dwarf peasant origin story on PS3. Pretty cool. I died a couple times facing that story's "boss" until I really came to grips with the combat. I guess you could power through without pausing like IGN is saying, but that wouldn't be much fun. Once I learned to use the tactics and assign moves to each of the characters, the battle was a breeze. It seems like in all the previews and live feeds of the console version, the player never switches characters; this doesn't seem like a fun way to play the game at all, either.

And oh yeah, the PS3 version chugs like a little bastard. The first damned cutscene was choppy. It never approaches being unplayable (yet), but I'm hoping for a framerate patch.

hyduK

Banned
Sorry it this has been answered, I looked through the manual but couldn't find anything.

When you choose your talents/spells there's a red bar above the section that fills in...what the hell does it do? I'm guessing there's some bonus when it fills up all the way...

Swag

Sebulon3k said:
Can anyone help me understand fatigue, my mage has a fatigue level of 0.5 does this mean that spells cost 50% more mana to cast? I've noticed that I oom much faster then usual but I'm wearing all light armor, do I get fatigued regardless of what class of armor I have equipped?

Anyone?

Can someone explain how I lock my fps at 60 :lol ? Does it just stay that way if I have V Sync on, I don't have fraps enabled but I have had no slowdown / jittery ness.

Patryn

FlyinJ said:

No. I think you find Shale the same way you'd find any other NPC, and while you start with the Blood Dragon Armor, the requirement to equip it is something like 48 strength, which is impossible to get until you're a ways in (the highest starting strength you could have would be low 20s, and that's if you put all your points in strength. Then you get 5 points every level to distribute after that.)

As for fatigue, if your level is 0.5 then it would only cost 0.5% more. To be 50% more, your level would have to 50.

Basically, just add a percent sign after your fatigue level and you see the added cost.

Also, every piece of equipment shows what it will add to your fatigue. Just inspect it.

aryies

Neo Member
i havent been this excited for a new game for quite some time. maybe mgs4? anyway, i really hope it lives up to my personal hype. installing now.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Himuro said:

Ha i have a black dwarf so that was especially awkward. Maybe that's how i got the menage a toi.

epmode

This is pretty awesome so far. The marketing killed all interest for me up until a week before release. Worked out very well!

I like the community site too. Well, I WILL like it when it's not broken.

<3<3<3 the in-game codex <3<3<3

Tobor

LCfiner said:
Well, the fact that "a couple hours" became 5 friggin hours without rest should tell you something :lol

I’m starting things off with the Elvish Magi origin. So far I’ve had a pretty decent quest within the circle of magi to start things off, I’ve seen the Battle of Helm’s Deep recreated to a tee in Bioware flavor and I’ve climbed the tower shown in the Giant Bomb PC quicklook.

I like it a lot. I’m pumping a lot of skill points into magic and willpower so I already have access to some pretty decent flamethrower and lightning spells, plus the rock armor, which looks ridiculous in cutscenes as I’m constantly shedding rock lice or something while talking to people.

I’m doing OK with combat, but I’m a bit clumsy and not the most tactical or elegant fighter. I like the variety of spells and talents and I’m treating the combat almost exactly like Kotor. I haven’t died yet but came close once.

I feel the storytelling and acting is on par with the Bioware games I’ve played. Not better, not worse. It’s good, it gives you lots of options to be a dick or a hero (although I’m aiming more for milady cocky and sincere this playthrough) and the faults are the same as always: super stiff animation, occasionally awkward pauses and unconvincing facial animation when party members speak (or they stand like robots while another person speaks).

I guess I’m just spoiled by Uncharted. I long for the day when a game of the scope of Dragon Age can obtain the visual polish and facial animation of a more focused action title like Uncharted. that’ll be something.

So, yeah, I need to take a break for a bit to work out and then eat but, well, then I hit the open road and figure out where to go next.

Whether or not this game rises from “good, but familiar Bioware RPG" to something greater will depend, I believe, on the meatier story elements coming up and the variation possible when playing as a different character.

Winner! I'm installing now.

Zeliard

Patryn said:
No. I think you find Shale the same way you'd find any other NPC, and while you start with the Blood Dragon Armor, the requirement to equip it is something like 48 strength, which is impossible to get until you're a ways in (the highest starting strength you could have would be low 20s, and that's if you put all your points in strength. Then you get 5 points every level to distribute after that.)

And for Warden's Keep, you get the quest immediately (under its own nifty "premium content" section separate from the other on-going quests). I don't believe you can actually get to it until you get to the world map, which I haven't reached yet, though I'm pretty sure I'm close.

Every installed DLC item, you get immediately in your inventory.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Found one bad thing about the Steam integration. You can't see your achievements from steam(and therefore brag to your friends), you can only see them from your social.bioware site.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Spoiler for the Dwarf Son-of-the-King story
I was really fucking pissed at being double-double betrayed by my brothers. This is the only game where I've actually gotten pissed because I didn't see the betrayal coming. Oh well, I had a threesome with two hot dwarven women.

TheFallen

What attributes should I be focusing on with my hound? :lol I assume strength and constitution, maybe even some dex? I hope I'm not making him a dumb puppy.

If this has been asked already, I apologize. New release threads are hard to keep up with.

Zzoram

Sebulon3k said:
Anyone?

Can someone explain how I lock my fps at 60 :lol ? Does it just stay that way if I have V Sync on, I don't have fraps enabled but I have had no slowdown / jittery ness.

Vsync generally caps the framerate at 60fps. You can get dips from there, but if your PC is powerful enough for your settings, it'll stay at 60fps the majority of the time.

epmode

Gravijah said:
Oh my god this game has a codex like Mass Effect? Oh my god, I need this game.
I started the game, clicked on some statue and I get a THREE PAGE CODEX ENTRY STUFFED WITH RIDICULOUS LORE AND EVERYTHING. I missed that stuff so much.

Gravijah

epmode said:
I started the game, clicked on some statue and I get a THREE PAGE CODEX ENTRY STUFFED WITH RIDICULOUS LORE AND EVERYTHING. I missed that stuff so much.

My absolute favorite part of ME was the codex. <333 I could get lost in that thing for hours.

datamage

Wow.. that's all I can say. Sat down to play for about an hour, and 3 1/2 go by instead. Playing a Human/War, and I just finished the beginning part.

Performance is great as well. Running on a C2D @ 3.3 GHZ, GTX 275. Game is running @ 60fps 90% of the time. (1080p / 2x AA / Very High Detail / High Textures / Frame-buffer effects on) 4x AA does kill the performance enough to where I'd rather play @ 2x. Game looks nice and clean, oh, and I absolutely love the interface, very polished.

Wish I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd be playing all night. :(

Quick question for those that started a warrior, I didn't realize the game defaulted to putting 1 point in Shield Bash, I'm assuming I could've taken that point away? I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go in yet, and now I feel like that point is wasted. (Unless you can respec later?)

TheFallen said:
What attributes should I be focusing on with my hound? :lol I assume strength and constitution, maybe even some dex? I hope I'm not making him a dumb puppy.

If this has been asked already, I apologize. New release threads are hard to keep up with.

How do you get a hound? Is that class specific?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
NewLib said:
Also, atleast in the early game: Mind blast = the shit. Seriously, that spell rocks. I think I might be spreading myself a bit thin, but I plan on being the only mage in my party. So I took heal, lightning (as an early damage spell), mind blast (awesome), drain life (havent got to use it yet), disoreint, and horror (I really want to use the sleep + horror combo as Ive heard nightmare is pretty good on the damage).

Also shield bash is a life saver.

Edit: Also Im usually nice in my games, but Im finding it increasingly hard to be so and really just want to slap some of the people in this game. You say what about my pointy ears?!?

Are you using Morrigan? Her Vulnerability Hex spell (resist debuff) is extremely effective on more powerful foes. Cast that on them first and then follow up with Winter's Grasp, Lightning and Drain Life for some massive damage. Doing this will almost certainly pull aggro on Morrigan, though, so have your healing poultices ready or a party member that can taunt the enemy off her.

Tobor

I need to buckle and buy a 360 chatpad one of these days. Typing in 3 codes with the controller before even starting the game is just ridonkulous. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
How do you get a hound? Is that class specific?

The human noble starts with a Mabari Warhound as his pet and you get a fun little quest in the beginning that introduces you to him. I have no idea if dogs are available to other origins, though.

Mrbob

I notice some complaints about the blood in cut scenes staying on characters. Looking in the PC options menu couldn't you just turn off the option 'Enable Persistant Gore'? Reading the description blood still spatters in battle but doesnt stay on the characters after I believe!

Zeliard

Zefah said:
The human noble starts with a Mabari Warhound as his pet and you get a fun little quest in the beginning that introduces you to him. I have no idea if dogs are available to other origins, though.

They are. I'm playing an Elf Mage and there's a quest you can get after your origin in Ostagar that gets you a hound. I'm assuming this extends to other origins, maybe in a different way.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it just me, or is the sampling rate on the voices in the 360 SKU terrible? It sounds like it's compressed and scratchy... really annoying.

anarchron

Neo Member
After reading the review on Gamespot, I'm really wondering if it would be worth it to sell my copy of DOA for the 360 and rebuy it on the PS3 from what I've been hearing about how terrible the graphics are on the 360.

Normally all the hype can fuck off, especially around bioware games, but after sinking shit loads of time into this...looks like david gaider has actually pulled it off.

So long as the pace keeps up this game is the real deal us crpg geeks have been waiting for.

Zefah said:

I've been torn as to whether I should start as a Dwarf or pick a race that allows magic use. I'm usually a fighter of some sort but I've been thinking of being a Mage this time around. Normally when I play D&D I seek out some way to get a pet. If the warhound is bound to only the Human noble........ I may become torn in multiple directions.lol

edit: So its possible for anyone to get a warhound? SWEET!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
anarchron said:
After reading the review on Gamespot, I'm really wondering if it would be worth it to sell my copy of DOA for the 360 and rebuy it on the PS3 from what I've been hearing about how terrible the graphics are on the 360.
No, I don't think it'd be worth it at all. Sounds like better textures on PS3, but smoother framerate on 360. You'd be foolish to lose all that money just to switch.

Top Bottom