• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

LCfiner

Sceren said:
Maybe the Gamespot reviewer is a lying sack of shit, because in my eyes the PS3 version looks terrible.

I think you just have super high standards :lol

screenshots I've seen of both the 360 and PS3 versions look OK.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any chance that voice actor for that
imprisoned magi in the Redcliff castle
is Alexis Denisof? Somehow his voice reminded me of him. Im probably wrong.
wes_040.jpg

Is there anywhere list of voice actors for DA:O?

Swag

Has anyone been having a problem with Shale's AoE attack "Quake" I think on my game the tooltip is either labelled incorrectly or it's a bug but whenever he does it, it has friendly fire. But it doesn't say shit about that in the tooltip, its wrecking my party, 3 shotting Morrigan :[.

Game on hard is hard if you don't micro your healer :lol , other then that tactics can pretty much handle everything else outside of some encounters where there are special mechanics (Wardens Keep), feels like I'm playing Final Fantasy 12 sometimes :/

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Started my rogue on hard last night for a good 6 hours or so. Loving the game.

I don't know why you *wouldn't* use the tactics stuff. It is extremely powerful. On hard, the difficulty has been pertty good so that the tactics acts as a good baseline and then I micromanage tweaks to my overall tactics as the need arises.

I love the way sustained effects are done. The fact that a buff like flame weapons is always on and just takes away from your max mana is genius.

The only thing that has been uninteresting thus far is the loot. But I am still early so that could yet change. The amount of stats on each piece of equipment has been nice though. Glad to see that equipment doesn't seem dumbed down at all.

Minsc

Gold Member
LCfiner said:
Well, we've already seen lots of PC screens in this thread from people playing (but, please, add your own as I think they look great) and they don't seem to look THAT much better than the 360 version I got. they look better, but not enough to make me jealous or anything :lol

Not even the isometric ones? :(

They're beautiful!

Acidote

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Right, time to annoy people!

I've got a decentish laptop which has the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53ghz
Nvidia Geforce 9650M GT 1GB
4 GM Ram
Running Vista 64

I should also mention that I can run the character creator just fine at highest texture settings, v-sync and 2xAA.

Should I? Could I?

Bloody tempted by the deluxe package at £40 on steam.

I also have a PS3 and XBox 360 but I'm not enamoured by what I've heard about their performance and controller limitations.

I'm playing with the following rig:

Athlon 2800 XP+
1 gig RAM
ATi Radeon x1950 Pro 512MB
Win XP

And it's running quite well with details set to medium (but without antialias and the most requiring stuff), so if you're wondering how well would it run on your laptop, I think itcould do it very nicely.

slayn

oh also, I started out trying to scroll back the camera to the isometric view but the camera has this incredibly annoying habit of zooming in when geometry is in the way. Is there any way to lock it to being fully zoomed out? I don't want it to zoom in just because a tree is in the way.

At this point I've basically given up on the isometric camera because the random zooming is incredibly annoying.

Tenks

slayn said:
oh also, I started out trying to scroll back the camera to the isometric view but the camera has this incredibly annoying habit of zooming in when geometry is in the way. Is there any way to lock it to being fully zoomed out? I don't want it to zoom in just because a tree is in the way.

At this point I've basically given up on the isometric camera because the random zooming is incredibly annoying.

Wat? I've never had that happen outside of sometimes when I zone out of a building.

Gibbo

Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked. I just got the X360 version. The opening movie seems to be pretty jerky for some reason? Is this normal? Or is my set on its last legs?

Zeliard

Sebulon3k said:
other then that tactics can pretty much handle everything else outside of some encounters where there are special mechanics (Wardens Keep), feels like I'm playing Final Fantasy 12 sometimes :/

Don't use tactics then. :p

I just leave them at their default, but I think I might actually disable them, because they tend to get in the way more often than not due to the loss in character control (with some character rushing into some mob by himself and getting killed). There's a lot less need for tactics/gambits in the PC version of DA than in the console versions, or in something like FF12, since you have such direct, easy and full control over every character. There's also far less of an emphasis on grinding.

Acidote said:
I'm playing with the following rig:

Athlon 2800 XP+
1 gig RAM
ATi Radeon x1950 Pro 512MB
Win XP

And it's running quite well with details set to medium (but without antialias and the most requiring stuff), so if you're wondering how well would it run on your laptop, I think itcould do it very nicely.

GAH!! NO!!

Must. Not. Spend. More. Money.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

What do people think about the deluxe edition on Steam worth £40? Can UK-Gaf direct me to anything comparable/better price-wise??

Sceren

Neo Member
LCfiner said:
I think you just have super high standards :lol

screenshots I've seen of both the 360 and PS3 versions look OK.

Terrible was the wrong choice for the word there (I edited it after you posted). It just looks >off< and hurts my eyes. I don't know why. Muddy textures/framerate aside it's definitely playable...

I don't know I'm still glad you guys are enjoying it. I just think BioWare could have done a much better job optimizing the console counterparts. I'm not expecting PC level visuals, I was just expecting... well... not this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sebulon3k said:
Has anyone been having a problem with Shale's AoE attack "Quake" I think on my game the tooltip is either labelled incorrectly or it's a bug but whenever he does it, it has friendly fire. But it doesn't say shit about that in the tooltip, its wrecking my party, 3 shotting Morrigan :[.

Game on hard is hard if you don't micro your healer :lol , other then that tactics can pretty much handle everything else outside of some encounters where there are special mechanics (Wardens Keep), feels like I'm playing Final Fantasy 12 sometimes :/

I'm having the opposite experience. Tactics are total bullshit, my characters stand around with their dicks in their hands, and I have to constantly remind them to fucking heal.

Swag

Tenks said:
Wat? I've never had that happen outside of sometimes when I zone out of a building.

Happens to me occasionally, sometimes the camera doesn't even zoom out to Isometric if an object is in the way. I have to move somewhere where it can zoom out then move back. Annoying glitch?

thetrin said:
I'm having the opposite experience. Tactics are total bullshit, my characters stand around with their dicks in their hands, and I have to constantly remind them to fucking heal.

I tried Micro-ing everything and it just proved to be more work, outside of spellcasters. For some reason my healer thinks it's a good idea to spam spells and not heals. When I get overwhelmed though I tend to Micro manage more, just because getting frozen and not being able to pop a potion is a BITCH

iam220

Doytch said:
Normal for PCs is good, and I hear Hard is the equivalent for consoles.

I have the PC version, but I want a tactical and pause heavy experience. So thats why I was leaning towards Hard. Is it too hard?

19Kilo said:
Same boat here, and if your avatar is any indication it's probably that damn C6R and Dallara keeping you busy ;)

Bingo. I'm all about the tin tops, so CR6 all the way baby! :)

Gibbo said:
Hey guys, not sure if this has been asked. I just got the X360 version. The opening movie seems to be pretty jerky for some reason? Is this normal? Or is my set on its last legs?
Most of the cut scenes have been stuttering a bit for me. In game it's fine. Supposedly, installing the game to HDD helps alleviate some of the problems.

Zeliard

thetrin said:

Probably an obvious question, but are you setting the tactics up correctly? They're A.I. triggers, so the characters should be doing exactly what their parameters state. If they're not healing, you may not have the tactic set to an effective enough health percentage, or in the right order.

I haven't really looked at tactics so I'm not sure, but generally when I'm not controlling the characters (which isn't all that frequent), they do a fairly decent job at holding their own with their default tactics.

Haden

Banned
Could anyone tell me with a PM or spoilers if needed.

Is there any sustained side quests. Like when you get to run a castle in BG2 or have your businesses in Fable 2. Anything of that sort in this game?

tHoMNZ

so i hear this game is very CPU bound?
I need to upgrade my CPU.. 4200+ x2 doesn't cut it anymore, it's limiting my 4850 quite a bit

Swag

tHoMNZ said:
I need to upgrade my CPU.. 4200+ x2 doesn't cut it anymore, it's limiting my 4850 quite a bit

Yes it is, the more cores you have the better the game runs. Expect high temps, my i5 750 goes up to 71~ across all 4 cores while running the game. While my 4890 happily sits around 64~

LCfiner

Minsc said:
Not even the isometric ones? :(

They're beautiful!

I've already stated my love for a couple isometric view screens (I quoted one from _tetsuo_). But I consider the addition of iso view more of a gameplay bonus for the PC player (figuring out a combat strategy) than an eye candy one.

I've been playing Bioware games on consoles for a while so, I admit, my expectations for their technical proficiency is kinda low.

Kotor had a juttery framerate and meh models. Mass Effect had huge load time, crazy long texture loads and a shit inventory system. it looked good most of the time but still slowed down like mad during firefights.

jade Empire... meeeeeeeeeeeeh

Honestly, Dragon Age is the most optimized console game Bioware has made.

slayn

Tenks said:
It was at its worst in the city elf origin where you are surrounded by buildings/walls on all sides most of the time. Maybe it gets better once things open up more. But still, it would be nice to be able to tell the camera, "don't zoom in, ever."

Zeliard

I wish they would've given classes other than rogue the ability to open locked chests and doors in some way. Where's my mage's Knock spell, dammit?

koji

Hmm, when I read about how hard this game is it makes me reconsider my first playthrough as a Dalish Elf Ranger and just go for the powergamer approach (as opposed to lets enjoy the RPing ride...)

Swag

Zeliard said:
I wish they would've given classes other than rogue the ability to open locked chests and doors in some way. Where's my mage's Knock spell, dammit?

This annoys the shit out of me, noone in my group can open chests. I always feel like I'm missing out on some great armor cause I don't have any rogues in my group.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
GAH!! NO!!

Must. Not. Spend. More. Money.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

What do people think about the deluxe edition on Steam worth £40? Can UK-Gaf direct me to anything comparable/better price-wise??

GAME.co.uk have a collector's edition as well, also £40.

Zeliard

Sebulon3k said:
This annoys the shit out of me, noone in my group can open chests. I always feel like I'm missing out on some great armor cause I don't have any rogues in my group.

And frankly, I already don't want to get rid of any of the companions I currently have (i.e. the first three companions you even get), and certainly not for a rogue that I would likely use mainly just to open chests.

Always pains me to go by locked chests. :p

Knock spell needs to be one of the first things modded in. I don't see the logic in having a Rogue solely be able to open locks - it doesn't have the logical backing behind it like the fact that only mages in Dragon Age can use magic.

"What do you do? Just leave as is?"

I disable the tactics stuff immediately and issue commands myself.

"I have the PC version, but I want a tactical and pause heavy experience. So thats why I was leaning towards Hard. Is it too hard?"

Hard so far has been challenging but not impossible. You will definitely get some quality time in with your space bar.

Tobor

LCfiner said:
I've already stated my love for a couple isometric view screens (I quoted one from _tetsuo_). But I consider the addition of iso view more of a gameplay bonus for the PC player (figuring out a combat strategy) than an eye candy one.

I've been playing Bioware games on consoles for a while so, I admit, my expectations for their technical proficiency is kinda low.

Kotor had a juttery framerate and meh models. Mass Effect had huge load time, crazy long texture loads and a shit inventory system. it looked good most of the time but still slowed down like mad during firefights.

jade Empire... meeeeeeeeeeeeh

Honestly, Dragon Age is the most optimized console game Bioware has made.
I agree. I was worried the 360 version would look incredibly bad after hearing all the handwringing in this thread and the Gamespot reviews, but DA is an excellent console port. It runs better than Mass Effect and KOTOR, and does as good a job as possible at translating the interface.

Swag

Zeliard said:
And frankly, I already don't want to get rid of any of the companions I currently have (i.e. the first three companions you even get), and certainly not for a rogue that I would likely use mainly just to open chests.

Always pains me to go by locked chests. :p

Knock spell needs to be one of the first things modded in. I don't see the logic in having a Rogue solely be able to open them - it doesn't have the logical backing behind it like the fact that only mages in Dragon Age can use magic.

Yeah, I can't believe they thought everyone would want to have a rogue in their group, it's going to be bad later on as I'm sure a lot of the good stuff is going to be in chests.

Although I still have Morrigan in her starter armor cause it looks so good :lol

slayn

Teknopathetic said:
"What do you do? Just leave as is?"

I disable the tactics stuff immediately and issue commands myself.

"I have the PC version, but I want a tactical and pause heavy experience. So thats why I was leaning towards Hard. Is it too hard?"

Hard so far has been challenging but not impossible. You will definitely get some quality time in with your space bar.
Do you then pause after every single attack so that everyone can use another talent/spell? Or do you just let the fighters rely on their basic attacks?

I did what you did back in the days of Baldur's Gate 2, but that was because mages were really the only types that required constant micromanagement. Now that every class benefits from it, I find combat goes by far more smoothly if you set up tactics as a general approach, and then pause and tweak as needed.

edit:
A hotkey that turns on/off all tactics mid battle would be useful though when shit hits the fan. Is there one? I hadn't thought to look.

Tobor

Sebulon3k said:
Yeah, I can't believe they thought everyone would want to have a rogue in their group, it's going to be bad later on as I'm sure a lot of the good stuff is going to be in chests.

That's why I'm a rogue. It's the only way to be sure.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
MarshallVaako said:
Someone please answer this having the same problem with 360 CE. Tried adding and removing dashes and spaces to no avail.

Fortunately I Have an EA account tied to my gamertag thanks to Battlefield 1943 and I just Used my codes through the in game menu.

But stil it's annoying not being able to register the game, I feel like I'm missing something important. I really want to make sure my Gamertag, Ea profile and Bioware profile are all synched up so I won't have any problems down the road.

All these codes and registering are giving me a headache.

But this game is absolutely amazing. It's been along time since I played a real RPG and it feels like BG on roids with KOTOR combat.

Some textures and faces could look better but I knew going in it wouldn't blow me away graphically. It looks good enough on 1080P, and sometimes it even looks great.

The music is top notch to be sure.

Vaako, try entering 014633159806. That's the UPC off the normal edition of the 360 version and the site is definitely accepting that code. It doesn't look like the site will differentiate between vanilla and CE editions of the game, so you should be fine just using that one instead of the real CE UPC, 014633168839.

slayn

Sebulon3k said:

personally, I consider it a good thing when a game's design requires party diversity. Imo you should generally need to have a fighter/mage/rogue + 1 of your choice, and while deviating from that should be possible, it should be expected to make the game more difficult/some things will be missed.

If you grant fighters/mages the ability to do rogue things, then the value of the rogue class is dimished until it underpowered as a class. This is not d&d 3.5 anymore where mages make everyone else obsolete.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Home at last I just installed my copy and I am now downloading Shale & Dragon Armour.

Soon my Dwarf Noble beserker shall be kicking arse and taking names.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Just hit my first point of major annoyance (with the added irritation of a little kid bugging me with the most ridiculous bullshit)
The tactics part just doesn't work for some reason. I even gave everyone a slot with 'any enemy' 'attack' and they just stand still.
It's the battle of redcliff and the first part is easy, enough npc fighters, but when you head down and my fucking party won't even come down with me and when I give a group order to follow, the fucking stop. Again!. And this fucking kid won't shut up. Jesus.
Game is awesome though. Phew, calm.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Question about party size and recruitment:

I just
freed the guy in the cage, but my party was full with the dog, Morrigen, and Alistair. Do you only get one chance to recruit party members or does this cage guy go to a base camp somewhere where I can pick him up later? Also if I choose to take cage guy and drop, let's say, Alistair, can I pick up Alistair later, or do I lose him permanently?

Zeliard

slayn said:
personally, I consider it a good thing when a game's design requires party diversity. Imo you should generally need to have a fighter/mage/rogue + 1 of your choice, and while deviating from that should be possible, it should be expected to make the game more difficult/some things will be missed.

If you grant fighters/mages the ability to do rogue things, then the value of the rogue class is dimished until it underpowered as a class.

It should be enough just to have the Rogue's more numerous skills and its uniquely powerful close-range/long-range abilities, among the other things the class offers that a warrior and mage don't. They didn't have to essentially force you to have one in your immediate party by making it so that only they can open locks.

I don't think that was a very good design decision - not having a mage or a warrior in your party might make combat tricky, but it doesn't otherwise block you out quite the way that not having a rogue does.

sendu

Neo Member
Zeliard said:

They did this deliberately so that your choices would actually mean something. With a knock spell, you no longer need a good thief, which makes stealing skill worthless. They do this throughout the game design: don't make skills and talents of a class worthless by having another class be able to do the exact same thing.

So yeah, now it's a real choice about which party members you bring along with you. The game makes you make hard decisions. Have combat be a bit easier with a mage, or get more loot?

In an RPG, I see this as a good thing.

Edit: and you don't have to be a thief to pick locks, do you?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
luxarific said:
Question about party size and recruitment:

I just
freed the guy in the cage, but my party was full with the dog, Morrigen, and Alistair. Do you only get one chance to recruit party members or does this cage guy go to a base camp somewhere where I can pick him up later? Also if I choose to take cage guy and drop, let's say, Alistair, can I pick up Alistair later, or do I lose him permanently?

When you are done in that city, you will get to a camp where you can switch. Also in villages, not dungeons, you can switch.

"Do you then pause after every single attack so that everyone can use another talent/spell? Or do you just let the fighters rely on their basic attacks?

I did what you did back in the days of Baldur's Gate 2, but that was because mages were really the only types that required constant micromanagement. Now that every class benefits from it, I find combat goes by far more smoothly if you set up tactics as a general approach, and then pause and tweak as needed."

I pause pretty often, yeah. And I find the fighters skills are way too valuable to just use their basic attacks.

slayn

sendu said:
Edit: and you don't have to be a thief to pick locks, do you?
lockpicking is not a skill, but is instead a rogue talent. So I believe yes, you have to be a rogue to pick locks.

That said, does anyone even know what it is "blocking you out of" though if you don't have a rogue?

Perhaps this changes drastically later on, but I have been able to open everything thus far and I don't think the chests have ever contained anything beyond basic stuff you could buy at a shop. They haven't contained quest items or unique equipment or anything. It just has made me a bit more wealthy. As if rogues had a talent row that basically said, "dungeons drop 10% more random loot".

Zeliard

sendu said:
They did this deliberately so that your choices would actually mean something. With a knock spell, you no longer need a good thief, which makes stealing skill worthless. They do this throughout the game design: don't make skills and talents of a class worthless by having another class be able to do the exact same thing.

The classes have their differences but they do overlap. The game's manual even notes this:

"Although there is some overlap between the classes, you can never make a character from one class play like a character from another - for example, warriors can never learn to cast spells, and a mage can never learn advanced weapon talents. Rogues can learn more skills than other classes, but cannot become proficient with two-handed weapons or shields."

By not having a rogue in your party, you are missing out on actual game content. This isn't the case with not having a warrior or mage in your party - combat will be more difficult without a healer or a tank, but you still aren't arbitrarily limited in some way by refusing to use them. What the mage and the warrior bring to the table purely and solely impacts the combat, while the rogue's lock-picking ventures outside of that and into the game world itself.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Man, this game is pretty tough, now I know why Gametrailers were always pausing the game every second in their gameplay videos :lol

As for the game itself, it's good so far (about 6 hours in, but I've been exploring every nook and cranny), but it's not as engaging as Mass Effect or KOTOR were when I started playing them, way too much micromanaging for a casual RPG guy like me.

tHoMNZ said:

I have a 4200+ (overclocked) and it's running fine on high settings at 1440x900 resolution, although there are some parts where the framerate drops to the teens, disappointing since the game is not that great looking.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really want to play again bad. I'm at work and it sucks. I haven't been addicted to a game like this since, shit I don't know when. I'm sitting here at work constantly thinking about battle strategy. I'm looking at my char profile on the social site to plan out my next level ups. God damn I'm addicted.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Relix said:
When you are done in that city, you will get to a camp where you can switch. Also in villages, not dungeons, you can switch.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation! This applies even if I never put him in my party at all, however, right? Or do I need to swap him in at least once for him to show up at the camp?

I didn't want to lose my dog and then he just disappeared and I thought I'd lost the chance at him forever.

slayn

Zeliard said:
By not having a rogue in your party, you are missing out on actual game content. This isn't the case with not having a warrior or mage in your party - combat will be more difficult without a healer or a tank, but you still aren't arbitrarily limited in some way by refusing to use them. What the mage and the warrior bring to the table purely and solely impacts the combat, while the rogue's lock-picking ventures outside of that and into the game world itself.
...so?

Stealth is also non-combat, would you want to take that away from the rogue as well?

Top Bottom