• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

NewLib

Banned
thetrin said:
It's a lot fucking better than this game.

This game atleast gives you the ability to overcome it though. The AI in Mass Effect was retarded and it took painstaking measures for you to do anything about it. One of my biggest complaints about that game (outside of the sidequests and wonky vehicle controls).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
NewLib said:
This game atleast gives you the ability to overcome it though. The AI in Mass Effect was retarded and it took painstaking measures for you to do anything about it. One of my biggest complaints about that game (outside of the sidequests and wonky vehicle controls).
I'll give you that. I just want the option to have AI that isn't retarded. I don't want to micromanage all my dudes. I don't understand why there can't be more behavior styles.

Teknopathetic said:
People are actually trying to use the tactics shit?

It's just not feasible to give everyone an action individually in the 360 version. Yes, yes, I should play it on PC. Fine. I don't have a PC, and I'm playing it on 360. Now that that is settled, there needs to be a solution to the retardation of my teammates.

koji said:
Nope; there are 12 classes, 3 archtypes, 4 specializations but there is no class like the D&D monk, if you want to do damage in DA you'll need a weapon or magic.

In the books however there is a certain character that fights with her bare fists.
A mute female dwarf :)

I see, I guess I'll have to think of something else then.

Sanjuro

Teknopathetic said:
What do you do? Just leave as is?

I admit I haven't had a chance for a solid playthrough, so I'm not very far. However I would like to go back and level up dog and my guy properly for two handed combat.

DieH@rd said:
i think i've encountered a bug. i defeated all
zombies
in Redclife, and there is no end of the battle/quest. Music keeps roling, there is no enemies anywhere.

Is there solutions? I've searched every inch to find if there is some enemy missing...

Same thing happened to me, but I did end up finding one that had gotten stuck on something. After I took care of it, the event ended.

Zeliard

Teknopathetic said:

I still haven't messed with the gambit system at all, and I honestly don't know if I will, at least in this playthrough. I pause and micromanage a lot and enjoy it greatly. I don't feel the need to have anyone be automated beyond whatever their default settings are, at least so far.

syllogism said:
Mages seem pretty amazing, I can imagine them being completely broken without friendly fire

Yeah, you definitely have to be careful with mages - they're powerful but most of their offensive spells hurt teammates. On normal, friendly fire spells do 50% damage to teammates, and on hard they get the full brunt of it.

Tenks

Baloonatic said:
I see, I guess I'll have to think of something else then.

Honestly it's probably for the best. Monks have always been so broken in D&D I'm glad I don't feel gimped by not being one.

Doytch

thetrin said:
It's just not feasible to give everyone an action individually in the 360 version. Yes, yes, I should play it on PC. Fine. I don't have a PC, and I'm playing it on 360. Now that that is settled, there needs to be a solution to the retardation of my teammates.
Look not to remove the speck from the retarded AI's eye, but the log from yours.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Relix said:
My Alistair sucks. He dies in almost every battle :lol
Oh good, so I'm not the only one. He never seems to use his shield pommel at all, and when I just control him, I wreck shop. Wtf, AI.

Doytch said:
Look not to remove the speck from the retarded AI's eye, but the log from yours.
So I should be micromanaging every character? It's incredibly frustrating to do that on the 360 version. Trust me. Radial menu makes things really difficult.

Doytch

thetrin said:
So I should be micromanaging every character? It's incredibly frustrating to do that on the 360 version. Trust me. Radial menu makes things really difficult.
Yeah I was just fucking around. But try upping Alistair's constitution. When I leveled him up I noticed he has it really low, so that no doubt leads to some issues.

thetrin

Doytch said:
Yeah I was just fucking around. But try upping Alistair's constitution. When I leveled him up I noticed he has it really low, so that no doubt leads to some issues.

Yeah, I should be upping my own as well.

iam220

Based on all the impressions, I broke down and bought the game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but will try it out tonight. Going to go with the hard difficulty, bad idea?

Doytch

iam220 said:
Based on all the impressions, I broke down and bought the game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but will try it out tonight. Going to go with the hard difficulty, bad idea?
Normal for PCs is good, and I hear Hard is the equivalent for consoles.

I don't understand all this "the 360 version looks like ass!" nonsense, lol

I played it for 11 hours yesterday, while it isn't the greatest looking game it definitely has it's moments and it's far from ugly. A smooth framerate helps as well.

Now that this nonsense is over, I saw that for the berserker class it says to talk to Oghren, where is this dude?

thetrin

The quest markers make no sense to me. Sometimes they put them on the map, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they don't update. What is the point of making a quest the active one if it's not even going to give me a waypoint? :|

NewLib

Banned
I do have a question on character builds. Do you think I can get away with just having one tank that can draw enemies towards him with a high constitution and skimp on the constitution for Allistar to focus more on Strength (and put some points into Willpower)? Or do you think I need to reasonably balance Constitution for him as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SavoryCade said:
Same thing happened to me, but I did end up finding one that had gotten stuck on something. After I took care of it, the event ended.

I'm going through this right now and I can't find any more that may have gotten stuck to ave my life. =/

FuttBuck said:

I played it for 11 hours yesterday, while it isn't the greatest looking game it definitely has it's moments and it's far from ugly. A smooth framerate helps as well.

I have just been looking at the screenshot comparisons between 360 and PC, and they're not nearly as extreme as people are making out. Anyway, the game is the same, and that's what people are playing this for, right?

Anybody want to make a case for the best origin story?

Shinjitsu said:
Apparently there is no hard level cap in the game, bioware has stated most people will end the game around 18-22.

Apparently you can't actually advance past level 26. But that's not really an issue unless you cheat.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Can't wait for Friday. Was going to reformat my lappy with 7 before then but I keep getting delayed, so I'll pre-order the deluxe edition on Steam before it goes away...

Any ideas yet about the 2nd specialization companions can learn? Especially Wynne and Morrigan, I'll be wanting to get them Arcane Warrior if they accept. Allistair gets Champion, yadda yadda.

FuttBuck said:

Now that this nonsense is over, I saw that for the berserker class it says to talk to Oghren, where is this dude?

I don't really see many people saying the 360 version looks like ass, simply pointing out that one looks better than the other. Which is true.

BigNastyCurve said:
Well, I'm pretty pissed that I don't have my extra pre-order codes from Amazon yet (360 version). Lots of people in the Amazon forums complaining about it.

My game is on its way but I havent seen the codes either. Plus I'm owed a 10 dollar off code.

Sceren

Neo Member
whatevermort said:
I have just been looking at the screenshot comparisons between 360 and PC, and they're not nearly as extreme as people are making out. Anyway, the game is the same, and that's what people are playing this for, right?

Anybody want to make a case for the best origin story?

That's because those screenshots are terrible. They're low res w/o being maxed.

My game looks much different than that on PC, I'll try to take some screens if you want to see them when I get home today.

My main complaint is that the console versions (Maybe just the PS3) seem to have this weird blur filter going on, and the sound/video has horrible compression issues.

thetrin

Haha, what? I'm playing on casual now, and my teammates are suddenly being incredibly intelligent, using enfeebling magic and stun attacks like there's no tomorrow. Why can't you jackasses act like this on normal? :\

19Kilo

iam220 said:

Same boat here, and if your avatar is any indication it's probably that damn C6R and Dallara keeping you busy ;)

So does the PC version have a simple press button like space bar to pause and issue commands like KOTOR and BG, because dealing with this radial menu nonsense is getting annoying.

Doytch

NewLib said:
I do have a question on character builds. Do you think I can get away with just having one tank that can draw enemies towards him with a high constitution and skimp on the constitution for Allistar to focus more on Strength (and put some points into Willpower)? Or do you think I need to reasonably balance Constitution for him as well.
I think one tank is enough, but raise Const for Alistair the way you would for any other character (ie, not every time it's possible, but every now and again). He will get hit by AOE/cone attacks most likely, so it makes sense to buff his health a bit if you don't want to baby him.

So does the PC version have a simple press button like space bar to pause and issue commands like KOTOR and BG, because dealing with this radial menu nonsense is getting annoying.
Yup. Not sure how to queue commands, though I didn't try much (didn't even try shift-/alt-clicking now that I think about it).

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I had a question about Coercion. Strength-based characters can intimidate, cunning characters can persuade, and Willpower characters can...use willpower, but I was just wondering if there was any difference between each of these methods. Like, are there certain NPCs that respond well to intimidation but not persuasion, or vice versa?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
BattleMonkey said:
Yep, and it's actually the space bar as well.

Hixx

BattleMonkey said:

Yeah, just tap space bar.

thetrin said:
The quest markers make no sense to me. Sometimes they put them on the map, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they don't update. What is the point of making a quest the active one if it's not even going to give me a waypoint? :|

This...I noticed this last night. What the heck is up with that? Anyone care to explain.

Zeliard

The quests that don't show up on the local map probably require the world map first, if you aren't there yet.

Chairman Yang said:
I had a question about Coercion. Strength-based characters can intimidate, cunning characters can persuade, and Willpower characters can...use willpower, but I was just wondering if there was any difference between each of these methods. Like, are there certain NPCs that respond well to intimidation but not persuasion, or vice versa?

Don't think it matters. I also haven't had one of those options fail yet, so I think if it shows up as a dialogue option, it'll work. I haven't had many of those yet so I'm not positive.

LCfiner

Sceren said:
That's because those screenshots are terrible. They're low res w/o being maxed.

My game looks much different than that on PC, I'll try to take some screens if you want to see them when I get home today.

My main complaint is that the console versions (Maybe just the PS3) seem to have this weird blur filter going on, and the sound/video has horrible compression issues.

Well, we've already seen lots of PC screens in this thread from people playing (but, please, add your own as I think they look great) and they don't seem to look THAT much better than the 360 version I got. they look better, but not enough to make me jealous or anything :lol

yeah, the textures are on medium on the consoles but, really, it's not a world of difference since the modeling of the characters really limits how good this game can look moreso than texture detail.

And I've still noticed fine details on some pieces of clothing. Some spots look better than others. for example, Morrigan's necklace thing that goes across her chest is pretty low res on the 360 and looks like a texture, not an object... but the mage robe that I have equipped has lots of fine details and looks great.

I don't really notice any fuzziness or blur filter, either. game is running at 720p so there's more aliasing on the home version than on the PC at higher res but I see details in some models that are up there with lots of other games I've played on the 360/ PS3. this doesn't seem excessively blurry to me.

Chairman Yang said:
I presume it's like Mass Effect in that sometimes different options are available, and your chance of success depends upon a roll (or just a check?) against the relevant stat. So it'll depend on whether they've written/scripted a [Persuasion] or [Intimidation] option for a given conversation. I believe other conversation options will appear based on particular stats, again similar to ME or even PS:T, and flagged with the relevant stat. So a mage may be able to pipe up with an observation about something magical, and that option is preceded by '[Magic]'.

But then, I haven't played the game yet...

Edit: if Zeliard hasn't failed one, it's probably just a check. So different options will be present in a conversation depending on your stats, and you'll never know they were available otherwise.

Garryk

This game is soooo good. The codex is so rich with lore it has to be fattening. Reminds me of my EQ2 days especially with the archetypes and specializations. It's like I'm bringing my swashy (duelist) back to life in a new, bloodier world. Story is so good, I wish it didn't have to end. I hope the future DLCs are more substantial than a few hours.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Garryk said:
Reminds me of my EQ2 days especially with the archetypes and specializations. It's like I'm bringing my swashy (duelist) back to life in a new, bloodier world.

Hooray! I was a mystic player, probably why I'm wanting a healing mage that can get stuck in and smack stuff around too.

Erdrick

As someone who is used to classic Jrpg's like DQ... this is a real eye-opener for me. So much to read and so... many things to try. Never played a Bioware RPG before, so I guess (and hope) it's going to be a real good new exp. for me. I was kind of worried about trying this, as the last western RPG I tried was Oblivion on PS3 and I really did not care for that, against what popular praise it had.

Cautiously optimistic so far about this...

I bought the PS3 version, if that makes any difference. It looks fine to me.

P.S. I really like the codex idea, and as someone who has dabbled in D&D ages ago back when 3rd edition came out, the skill-sets and progression trees are kind of familiar.

hermit7

Here are some of my personal impressions, note that I am playing on normal (PS3).

-I chose to be an elf mage, and am pretty early in the game I feel
Just finished the opening battle with the death of Duncan
Despite this the last battle was really intense, and it was only through queuing up all of the attacks that I wanted my party to use did I defeat the
huge ass demon

-Furthermore I feel that the writing thus far is really good, especially the characters.

Finally the controls are manageable, but not excellent. There are some issues that I have such as healing but these may be user issues. Additionally it is possible to queue up commands for the entire team without getting out of the radial menu. Giant Bomb said you were unable too but after experimenting while holding the pause button and pressing the bumpers/L1,R1 its definitely possible.

LCfiner

Shake Appeal said:
I presume it's like Mass Effect in that sometimes different options are available, and your chance of success depends upon a roll (or just a check?) against the relevant stat. So it'll depend on whether they've written/scripted a [Persuasion] or [Intimidation] option for a given conversation. I believe other conversation options will appear based on particular stats, again similar to ME or even PS:T, and flagged with the relevant stat. So a mage may be able to pipe up with an observation about something magical, and that option is preceded by '[Magic]'.

But then, I haven't played the game yet...

Edit: if Zeliard hasn't failed one, it's probably just a check. So different options will be present in a conversation depending on your stats, and you'll never know they were available otherwise.

playing as a mage, I've seen the the "special" dialog option preceded by "Persuade" (the skill) and by "Willpower" (the stat) on different occasions.

@Erdrick If you like this one, go and play Kotor and Mass Effect. or, go back even further and play the Baldur's Gate games (but those are less friendly to new players than Bioware's console games).

Sceren

Neo Member
LCfiner said:
Well, we've already seen lots of PC screens in this thread from people playing (but, please, add your own as I think they look great) and they don't seem to look THAT much better than the 360 version I got. they look better, but not enough to make me jealous or anything :lol

yeah, the textures are on medium on the consoles but, really, it's not a world of difference since the modeling of the characters really limits how good this game can look moreso than texture detail.

And I've still noticed fine details on some pieces of clothing. Some spots look better than others. for example, Morrigan's necklace thing that goes across her chest is pretty low res on the 360 and looks like a texture, not an object... but the mage robe that I have equipped has lots of fine details and looks great.

I don't really notice any fuzziness or blur filter, either. game is running at 720p so there's more aliasing on the home version than on the PC at higher res but I see details in some models that are up there with lots of other games I've played on the 360/ PS3. this doesn't seem excessively blurry to me.

Maybe the Gamespot reviewer is a lying sack of shit, because in my eyes the PS3 version just looks *wrong*. Something is just off when I am playing it.

Right, time to annoy people!

I've got a decentish laptop which has the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53ghz
Nvidia Geforce 9650M GT 1GB
4 GM Ram
Running Vista 64

I should also mention that I can run the character creator just fine at highest texture settings, v-sync and 2xAA.

Should I? Could I?

Bloody tempted by the deluxe package at £40 on steam.

I also have a PS3 and XBox 360 but I'm not enamoured by what I've heard about their performance and controller limitations.

Zeliard

Shake Appeal said:

This is likely the case. I've only had one willpower dialogue option so far, though, and that was during my mage origin. I wish I could remember the tone of the response, whether it leaned more towards intimidation or persuasion.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Chairman Yang said:

No clue. =x All I know is, my "Intimidate" usually means "do this or I'll kill you". Not very subtle sadly. Guess it is not my character's forte. :lol

Top Bottom