• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Woo-Fu

Banned
eznark said:
I should wait til all the DLC is installed to start a new game right?

Most of the items are junk, or if they aren't junk they're stuff your party won't be able to use for days anyways. I played a few hours before the game figured out I'd used the character creator and started downloading and installing the ring you get for that.

Save game, exit out the main menu of the game, look at the installing tab for DLC, once it was complete load my game up, check my inventory, and voila, there the ring was. I also learned that they were smart enough to put an overflow region on inventory. The ring put me at 81/80 :)

Money and inventory space are very tight early on, I recommend buying every backpack you find until your inventory is up to 100. Such small inventory counts are annoying in a game that features crafting. Reagents, 3 types of heal pots, 2 types of wound pots, 3+ types of mana pots, 3+ types of poisons, trap parts, traps, gifts, etc., you might find you have very few slots left over for actual loot.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
epmode said:
Yes. I have one of the rings equipped and I've already used the skill tomes.

Which reminds me. I like how you can choose to increase your skills, talents and stat points at any time, and completely independently of each other.
Which OS are you running? I am on Windows 7. Plus, I have not been prompted to register my game yet. Should I have? I have already played a good portion of the Mage origin quest.

Victrix

*beard*
Fair warning for anyone who cares about their DLC gewgaws and is playing the Dwarf Noble origin

At one point you are stripped of your items, including the DLC nonsense. If you want to avoid this, just disable the DLC and enable it after that point in the origin.

If you only care about the 'real' content (Shale/Warden's Keep), no problem

epmode

DenogginizerOS said:
Which OS are you running? I am on Windows 7. Plus, I have not been prompted to register my game yet. Should I have? I have already played a good portion of the Mage origin quest.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I'll explain what I did:

I already had an EA account from earlier EA PC games and I used that account to sign up for the Bioware community site. I was able to log into the EA servers in the character creator before the game launched.

The first thing I did after the Steam install was start the game and log into the EA network. While logged into the game, I alt-tabbed and went to the Bioware community site. Profile > Redeem Promo Code > entered the two keys given to me by Steam (in the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format). Closed the game, relaunched, logged back in to the EA servers and the game had all of the DLC ready for download. I think it even installed it automatically.

I later went back to the Bioware community page to enter the game's CD key (in XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format, can be found by right-clicking the game in Steam and clicking View Game CD Key) but this is done from a different place than the other promo codes. Go to Profile > Register Games > choose the PC version). I had to manually enter the dashes. On top of that, it actually took quite a few hours before the site took this code, probably due to overloaded servers.

Hope that helped.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does the PC version of the game pimp Mass Effect 2 in the extra's menu like the 360 version does ? :lol Thought that was kinda funny.

JoeBoy101

Kipe said:
Question about the first boss:
Is it possible to beat the first boss without kiting?

He went down pretty straightfoward for me, though he did take and give a beating (knocked one of my guys out).

First off, if you didn't pick up dread howl for your pooch, go back and do it. The short-lived, but AoE stun it provides can completely change a battle.

Keep your mage back and make sure you use the flaming weapons spell to give extra oomph for your fighters and puppy. Flank the bastard, getting someone on the rear, one on the side, and one to front to maximize bonuses. Lastly, spread the aggro around. On a big boss like that, the Threaten skill can be very useful. Start with someone who doesn't have it, and then kick it on halfway through the battle.

All in all, don't forget your skills. With a big HP sponge like an Ogre, take the attack penalties to use the skills that maximize damage.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Tenks

Played this for hours last night. Few times do I know a game is going to be epic by just the opening sequences. It's like NWN2 only alot better. I should note I loved NWN2.

Running at max resolution, with max settings, 8x AA and all that and is running flawlessly.

i7 @ ~3 Ghz
6GB DDR3
295 GTX
G5 Keyboard

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
epmode said:
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I'll explain what I did:

I already had an EA account from earlier EA PC games and I used that account to sign up for the Bioware community site. I was able to log into the EA servers in the character creator before the game launched.

The first thing I did after the Steam install was start the game and log into the EA network. While logged into the game, I alt-tabbed and went to the Bioware community site. Profile > Redeem Promo Code > entered the two keys given to me by Steam (in the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format). Closed the game, relaunched, logged back in to the EA servers and the game had all of the DLC ready for download. I think it even installed it automatically.

I later went back to the Bioware community page to enter the game's CD key (in XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format, can be found by right-clicking the game in Steam and clicking View Game CD Key) but this is done from a different place than the other promo codes. Go to Profile > Register Games > choose the PC version). I had to manually enter the dashes. On top of that, it actually took quite a few hours before the site took this code, probably due to overloaded servers.

Hope that helped.
It does. I did everything you did except the registering part. I will try registering later and see if that tweaks the installer to get moving. Thank you.

Hari Seldon

DenogginizerOS said:
So, even though I downloaded the game from Steam, logged into my Bioware account, redeemed my codes, and downloaded my DLC, in order for me to install the DLC, I have to download an Installer? WTF, if true.

I have the boxed PC version, and I could download DLC but not install. After a reboot and some logging in/ logging out, it installed, and retro-actively put the items into my already created game. Imo, don't worry too much about the DLC, because they will fix the problems shortly (or they will fix themselves) and you will get the items.

Sanchito

Scored the PS3 collectors edition yesterday!

I Walked right into Best Buy and they had 2 on the shelf. :D I got lucky because I called over there and the girl said they had 2 for each system. I wanted the 360 version so I told her to hold one for me..I'd be right over to pick it up. I get there and they chick hands me the regular edition. I glare at her and tell her I wanted the CE. She says that the computer had not updated and they are totally out of them.

Pissed, I started to walk out. Then I decided, since I was there, I'd go double check. That's when I found the PS3 version sitting on the shelf encased in light! haha I wasn't sure if EA was going to print more of the CE, so I just went ahead with the PS3 version. Can't wait to start this up today!

DieH@rd

Banned
i think i've encountered a bug. i defeated all
zombies
in Redclife, and there is no end of the battle/quest. Music keeps roling, there is no enemies anywhere.

Is there solutions? I've searched every inch to find if there is some enemy missing...

hulot

chandoog said:
That's just bizarre man, i'm playing the 360 version and honest to god it's looking/playing just fine. Of course I don't have a beefy PC to compare, but the kind of things you're mentioning should have been noticeable regardless.
They are. It's disappointing to hear that the PS3 version also compresses video, I had assumed it wouldn't be the case. On the 360 version, textures are a blurry mess and video looks terribly compressed. It's night and day; I was looking at some of the earlier PC shots of the human origin story and there is no comparison there. People in the 360 version look as if they were the swamp thing. Sadly, my laptop probably wouldn't output any better than the 360 so console peasantry is where I'll have to stay.

Edit: As an aside, I found it easier to queue up orders when I used the hold for radial menu instead of toggling since you can give commands without the game unpausing.

JoeBoy101

Tenks said:
Played this for hours last night. Few times do I know a game is going to be epic by just the opening sequences. It's like NWN2 only alot better. I should note I loved NWN2.

Running at max resolution, with max settings, 8x AA and all that and is running flawlessly.

i7 @ ~3 Ghz
6GB DDR3
295 GTX
G5 Keyboard

Same here, my GTX 275 is hammering away at it with no slowdowns at all. I will say the narrative is both phenomenal and grim so far.

It also cements my opinion that EA's marketing campaign was one of the most ill-conceived ones in recent history given they had a game this good and actually turned me off of it until word of mouth hit late last week.

I mean, its all the little thought-out details that sell the game:

The poisonous nature of the darkspawn blood is a nice piece of story, but the detail of explaining and talking about how it sickens the warhounds shows alot of forethought.

Or the complexity of the characters in the game so far:

Such as the King being ultimately good and a force of order, but obsessing on legend, glory, and legacy. Or Duncan being a real force of order and good, but his understated determination leading to his cold-blooded killing of one recruit (which in my mind, was entirely unnecessary except for the dictates of tradition).

I was really concerned about the game before because it had the look of cardboard fantasy with the common evil creatures, mages, so forth. But Bioware took the traditional elements and wove an extremely interesting backstory to them (so far at least) that defines and differentiates it tremendously.

So, so far at least again, this is turning out to be the best RPG I've played in years.

Sanjuro

This game is seriously kicking my ass. I think I leveled some of my characters very wrong.

Question, when a teammate dies does he gain experience from a completed battle?

LCfiner

SanjuroTsubaki said:
This game is seriously kicking my ass. I think I leveled some of my characters very wrong.

Investing all those skill points in cribbage was probably a bad idea.

Tenks

SanjuroTsubaki said:

I'd like to know this as well. I wasn't able to really test it last night.

Also my thoughts on the rogue as a primary.

First off my character is a damage dealing powerhouse but I must micromanage him correctly. Maybe because I was a rogue for so long in WoW I find this fun and natural and threat management comes as second nature to me. As long as I have my warrior have his threaten aura up and I position my rogue behind him the enemy dies -- and fast.

My current build is almost exclusively focused on passive damage increases. I have maxed out the passive damage modifiers and maxed out duel weild for my current level. I was nervous about being a rogue but it seems to be playing out well for me. My rogue has little outside of battle utility. Just one level in lockpicking so far but with a limited party set I cannot waste skill points in fluff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SanjuroTsubaki said:

I'm finding the game to be crazy difficult in weird places. I had one fight where as soon as the battle started, I was frozen, and 5-10 bandits wailed on me before I had a chance to recover and heal. The rest of my teammates acted like complete morons and died too. :(

Sadly, Casual is too easy.

Sanjuro

I think that is the biggest problem. Even using the tactics I can't seem to get my teammates to do what I want them to.

Doytch

Tenks said:
I'd like to know this as well. I wasn't able to really test it last night.

Also my thoughts on the rogue as a primary.

First off my character is a damage dealing powerhouse but I must micromanage him correctly. Maybe because I was a rogue for so long in WoW I find this fun and natural and threat management comes as second nature to me. As long as I have my warrior have his threaten aura up and I position my rogue behind him the enemy dies -- and fast.

My current build is almost exclusively focused on passive damage increases. I have maxed out the passive damage modifiers and maxed out duel weild for my current level. I was nervous about being a rogue but it seems to be playing out well for me. My rogue has little outside of battle utility. Just one level in lockpicking so far but with a limited party set I cannot waste skill points in fluff.
Good to hear. I generally play a dual-wield rogue (also did one in raid WoW) but I decided to go with an archer build this time. Plan is to take the Ranger and Bard specs.

Also, do I need to take points in the lockpick/traps skill to be able to disarm traps? The wording is ambiguous, and I can see the traps, I just can't do anything to disarm them...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, the biggest issue is that there doesnt' seem to be a behavior between "stand around like a fucktard until attacked" and "balls to the wall murder squad".

(on the 360, micromanaging all of your guys is beyond cumbersome. It needs to take better advantage of the combat tactics)

Zeliard

I ended up playing yesterday up until snagging Morrigan, the dog and the world map (going through as an Elf Mage). Game's really fucking fantastic so far and work is going to drag like hell today. I just want to go back and play it more.

One thing this game does really beautifully is give your character a real sense of identity. In most of these types of games, I start off as a pure mage and with the intention of staying as such, but my character inevitably becomes a warrior mage by the middle of the game because I can't resist giving him some legit melee abilities to go along with his magic.

In Dragon Age, my Elf Mage character is highly intertwined with his status as a Mage (and as an Elf), due to the origin story and also constantly being reminded of it by various characters he meets, to the extent that it feels like moving him away from that in any way would simply be wrong (like some form of character assassination). I've been pumping most points into Willpower and Magic and the guy is a straight up mage - weak as fuck physically, but very powerful magically, and I intend to keep him that way.

Question: does the Shale/Stone Prisoner quest trigger automatically at some point in the story? I've installed it but I haven't received any notification and quest info for it like I did with Warden's Keep.

SanjuroTsubaki said:

Yeah, he does.

Edit: or she!

bengraven

Was going to upload my pics, but it refuses to upload my jpeg screenshots into Photobucket.

Have it at the highest settings, though resolution at 1024 (lol), and it runs fantastic. Whomever posted that video comparing the 360/PS3 versions with the PC version are running a shitty machine.

thetrin

Zeliard said:
Question: does the Shale/Stone Prisoner quest trigger automatically at some point in the story? I've installed it but I haven't received any notification and quest info for it like I did with Warden's Keep.

Isn't that the Sulcher's Pass quest? I dunno. I haven't done it yet.

Tenks

Doytch said:
Also, do I need to take points in the lockpick/traps skill to be able to disarm traps? The wording is ambiguous, and I can see the traps, I just can't do anything to disarm them...

I honestly am not sure. I know you need points in that skill to make traps but since I've never actually laid a trap in all of BG1, BG2, NWN, NWN2 I decided to just say fuck it with that. I'm probably going assassin with this guy he's dealing better damage than I anticipated. I originally thought I'd be a utility character but his damage is exceeding expectations so far albiet only at level 6.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
To those saying this is tough, what difficulty are you playing on?
I'm somewhat new to this type of RPG and I plan on playing it on normal. Hopefully I don't get slaughtered, but I've been playing Demon's Souls lately so at least I'm become somewhat capable of handling a challenge.

P.S. Fuck my life, this game is sitting on my shelf but work is keeping me from playing it.

Zeliard

thetrin said:
Isn't that the Sulcher's Pass quest? I dunno. I haven't done it yet.

Not sure what it's called - I never got the quest info. Since Shale is a potential storyline character, though, I assume you have to be at a certain point in the game before it lets you get him.

The real question is: who do I replace? I already like Alistair, Morrigan and Dog a lot. :lol Shale will be a fixture in my party, though, especially since my character is a mage.

thetrin

Snuggler said:
To those saying this is tough, what difficulty are you playing on?
I'm somewhat new to this type of RPG and I plan on playing it on normal. Hopefully I don't get slaughtered, but I've been playing Demon's Souls lately so at least I'm become somewhat capable of handling a challenge.

P.S. Fuck my life, this game is sitting on my shelf but work is keeping me from playing it.

Dude, I'm playing on normal, and getting slaughtered. Demon's Souls is not the same kind of hard. Demon's Souls is the kind of hard that you feel you have a handle of all the time. Dragon Age is the kind of hard where you feel overwhelmed at times, and spells that freeze your characters are utterly frustrating.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
Dude, I'm playing on normal, and getting slaughtered. Demon's Souls is not the same kind of hard. Demon's Souls is the kind of hard that you feel you have a handle of all the time. Dragon Age is the kind of hard where you feel overwhelmed at times, and spells that freeze your characters are utterly frustrating.

Damn, maybe I'll do casual on my first try and just lie to you guys and say I'm playing it on hard.

Tenks

Zeliard said:
Not sure what it's called - I never got the quest info. Since Shale is a potential storyline character, though, I assume you have to be at a certain point in the game before it lets you get him.

The real question is: who do I replace? I already like Alistair, Morrigan and Dog a lot. :lol Shale will be a fixture in my party, though, especially since my character is a mage.

Hmmm I ditched Dog already. I figured he'd have the worst potential since he isn't a fleshed out class and I can't equip him with hardly anything.

LCfiner

Snuggler said:
Damn, maybe I'll do casual on my first try and just lie to you guys and say I'm playing it on hard.
Remember, you can change difficulty at any time. So you can start on normal and only drop it down to easy if you get slaughtered one too many times during a battle.

thetrin

Snuggler said:

I switched to casual because tactics is pretty useless. There doesn't seem to be a behavior that says "character will attack visible enemies in vicinity, will not give chase, and will defend themselves" nor is there a behavior that says "character will always attack player's target".

After playing Mass Effect, the amount of micromanaging I have to do to make sure these guys don't do something entirely retarded is mindblowing.

JoeBoy101

thetrin said:

How far along are you in the game? I've noticed its gotten a little easier for me recently (playing on normal), but it is sigificantly tougher than NWN or previous BioWare games. Or it seems like to me, that is.

Running a two-handed warrior right now, and my advice is ganging up on foes one at a time, as opposed to spreading out your forces, and making sure that you use your skills properly. Also, for the dog, the Dread Howl is a PBAoE stun that is very effective in buying you some time to take one or two opponents down before re-engaging the entire group.

Zeliard

Truant said:
Not playing in iso as much as I thought I would. Feels kinda strange compared to BG2, can't put my finger on it. Using it pretty much only in combat or when exploring tighter areas.

Well, the reason for that is that it isn't truly isometric in Dragon Age, since the environments are fully in 3D. The benefit to iso in games like BG2 is that you are always seeing exactly what the developers and artists intended you to see, since the view is fixed. There's a lot more you can potentially miss in Dragon Age since an isometric view doesn't show you everything, and the inclusion of things like ceilings and skies is some evidence of that.

I play in iso frequently (especially during combat) but also switch to a closer third-person view quite often for an horizontal look (either to ease exploration or to get a different dimensional look at things on-screen). The game can look incredibly different in iso and third-person, so I like switching just for a different look at certain scenes and environments.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Don't give me that shit. Women shouldn't be treated as equals no matter what the game's back story tells me!

Man > Dog > Night Elf > Woman > PS3.

Women, hah. It's elves that get shit in Dragon Age's world!

... those poor female Elves.

Tenks said:
Hmmm I ditched Dog already. I figured he'd have the worst potential since he isn't a fleshed out class and I can't equip him with hardly anything.

Yeah, out of those three Dog is likely the one to go in favor of Shale. He's not as much of a conversationalist as the others.

Tenks

To be fair thats why everyone who was a Baulders Gate fan was saying this game needs to be played on PC. I doubt I'll ever set up tactics I can just as easily pause and issue commands since KB/M makes it so easy.

hulot

fanboi said:
Trying to do Journeys... can't log the fuck in... someone else have this problem?
Here. And then it tells me my login is incorrect. EA servers are getting hammered or whatnot.

thetrin

Tenks said:
To be fair thats why everyone who was a Baulders Gate fan was saying this game needs to be played on PC. I doubt I'll ever set up tactics I can just as easily pause and issue commands since KB/M makes it so easy.

I think the issue is that the 360 version really isn't set up with the idea of pausing and issuing commands in mind. For one, the only way to pause the action is to bring up the radial menu, which obstructs the entire screen. Also, your teammates are total retards. :(

I guess I was just expecting Bioware to give teammates decent AI, considering they made Mass Effect.

Tenks

thetrin said:
I think the issue is that the 360 version really isn't set up with the idea of pausing and issuing commands in mind. For one, the only way to pause the action is to bring up the radial menu, which obstructs the entire screen. Also, your teammates are total retards. :(

I guess I was just expecting Bioware to give teammates decent AI, considering they made Mass Effect.

In general I haven't had a major problem with retard AI but usually I just want my warrior to go up, threaten the target and let my rogue kill him via manual control. However with the few times I've played using the preset PS3/360 cameras I just get so frustrated. I couldn't imagine not having top-down isometric view.

Well, I'm pretty pissed that I don't have my extra pre-order codes from Amazon yet (360 version). Lots of people in the Amazon forums complaining about it.

I've been on a complete media blackout for this game and only just tried the character creator as the full game should be arriving tomorrow and... there's only 3 classes? I really wanted to be a Monk, is there at least a specialization that's similar?

NewLib

Banned
thetrin said:

Did you just say the teammate AI was decent in Mass Effect? I could not disagree more.

BioNut

Banned
I must say that this game has the worst female character models I have seen in a long time. Looking at morrigan from behind she almost doesn't even look human. Her shoulders are too broad, her arms too skinny and there is something totally wrong with her back. Remove her ridiculously reveling outfit and she lacks any "curves" at all. Pretty much a mans body with boobs and a better shaped ass. Lilianna is the same way. WTF BioWare?!? Even Mass Effect's giraffe necked women had better models than this.

Its like they took the male character models and animation rigs (think skeleton) thinned them a little and the reused the same animations. Pretty pathetic IMO.

Overall the gameplay is ace though. Just have to have females be fully armored so I can stand to have one in my party.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ya I'm damn near ready to turn gambits off until I unlock enough slots to make good ones. And I love the iso view, I just think it's in my blood. It would be nice if a mod drops that increased the zoom height though.

thetrin said:

I love Mass effect and all, but Tali and Liara would unload full clips of hot photon into walls more often than not. They were pretty stupid.

thetrin

NewLib said:
Did you just say the teammate AI was decent in Mass Effect? I could not disagree more.

It's a lot fucking better than this game.

koji

Baloonatic said:
there's only 3 classes? I really wanted to be a Monk, is there at least a specialization that's similar?

Nope; there are 12 classes, 3 archtypes, 4 specializations but there is no class like the D&D monk, if you want to do damage in DA you'll need a weapon or magic.

In the books however there is a certain character that fights with her bare fists.
A mute female dwarf :)

Top Bottom