• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Swag

Cabaratier said:
It's the battle of redcliff and the first part is easy, enough npc fighters, but when you head down and my fucking party won't even come down with me and when I give a group order to follow, the fucking stop. Again!. And this fucking kid won't shut up. Jesus.
Game is awesome though. Phew, calm.

Look under your party portraits window, I'm sure you have the hold position option selected. I did this too and couldn't think of anything that I was doing wrong till I highlighted over the option.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
luxarific said:
Ok, thanks for the confirmation! This applies even if I never put him in my party at all, however, right? Or do I need to swap him in at least once for him to show up at the camp?

I didn't want to lose my dog and then he just disappeared and I thought I'd lost the chance at him forever.

Yeah I chose no and he still appeared on the camp and the switch party menu

Does anyone know how the bioware social site works? I logged in and it shows I got two acheivements but it wont show my character class and what I'm wearing, etc like I see on other peoples pages. What gives?

What purpose does the rogue serve without their stereotypical lockpicking/trapfinding/stealing abilities? You don't want a rogue in your party, yet you want the benefits of the rogue. If you want a tank, you bring a tank. If you want a healer, you bring a healer. You're not "missing out on content" because what exactly are you missing out on?

Uh..I need a bit of swayin Gaf. I've never played a game like this ( Why? PC and Me are both weaksauce) but this game has somehow peak my interest ( I love being able to create my own character and then become either a baddass or a asshole...). I was going to gamestop/gamecrazy today to trade in a bunch of old sports games ( and get like 10 dollars...) and thought why not pick up a new great game ( Tekken I hate you)...but due to my last purchase ( Blind Purchase) I'm a bit wary...should I get this? I hav both a ps3 and 360 and framerate never really bothers me...

help a noob out.

markatisu

I hate work, I played this till 3am and then realized I should probably get some rest.

The story so far is maintaining my interest but good lord
how many times can you be doublecrossed, surprised the Blight have not already won
:lol

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I ended up having to clear the DLC cache and then run the game as Admin to get my DLC to install.

Even tho my account is the admin, still had to right click then run as Admin, but it seems to have installed my DLC now.

I can't stop reading this thread even though I don't want spoilers. Spent 2 hours last night and I can't believe I made it to work this morning on time. In those 2 hours I've already:

Been orphaned, scored with an elven MILF, had said MILF get killed, ran around in a loincloth while faithful dog attacked, went through an entire story with nanny and old teacher to build relationships (only to have them die), and accidentally de-equipped mother's armour.

Oh yeah and the PC CE is awesome.

lol @ the blood.

Over the top much? Super minor first 10 minutes of the game spoilers:

You and your dog walking out of the pantry just absolutely covered in blood and nobody batting an eye. WTF?

I find the iso view in the pc will the prefered viewing point for most but I hope some pc people are not only playing on this camera. Some of the visuals and the grand scale of the world simple can't be appreciated from that viewpoint. So get down and in the action from time to time. Or just a peak at the world.

Zeliard

Teknopathetic said:
What purpose does the rogue serve without their stereotypical lockpicking/trapfinding/stealing abilities? You don't want a rogue in your party, yet you want the benefits of the rogue. If you want a tank, you bring a tank. If you want a healer, you bring a healer. You're not "missing out on content" because what exactly are you missing out on?

The rogue doesn't live and die by its lock-picking ability. It's been a useful and prominent class in many other games where other classes have had the ability to open locks, and would be in this game as well, particularly here when it's by far the most effective class at fighting at both close- and long-range (and can not every class in this game pickpocket?). Something like a mage's healing ability can be substituted with some degree of success by healing pots and other items - lock-picking has no alternative at all in Dragon Age, while it does in most other games specifically for these reasons.

It also makes no logical sense whatsoever to limit the entire notion of opening something that's locked to a rogue - couldn't a warrior tank like Shale, who's a goddamn giant Stone Golem, not simply bash the shit out of a lock and open it?

The "content" you're missing out on is merely the loot found in the chests that you can't open without a rogue in your already-limited party of four, but it's content nonetheless (doesn't help that damn near every chest is locked). The skills and abilities of the warrior and mage are strictly limited to enemy encounters, so you don't lose out on anything at all by not using them.

I really don't think it's a huge deal at all, and something a tiny mod could easily fix - I just think it's an unecessary attempt at forcing people to use a rogue, a class that is already useful enough as it is.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Knux-Future said:
Uh..I need a bit of swayin Gaf. I've never played a game like this ( Why? PC and Me are both weaksauce) but this game has somehow peak my interest ( I love being able to create my own character and then become either a baddass or a asshole...). I was going to gamestop/gamecrazy today to trade in a bunch of old sports games ( and get like 10 dollars...) and thought why not pick up a new great game ( Tekken I hate you)...but due to my last purchase ( Blind Purchase) I'm a bit wary...should I get this? I hav both a ps3 and 360 and framerate never really bothers me...

help a noob out.

Have you read any of this thread at all?

Sceren

Neo Member
Knux-Future said:

help a noob out.

Yes, buy the game and if you want my PS3 fanboyish opinion - buy it on the 360.

"The "content" you're missing out on is merely the loot found in the chests that you can't open without a rogue in your already-limited party of four, but it's content nonetheless (doesn't help that damn near every chest is locked). The skills and abilities of the warrior and mage are strictly limited to enemy encounters, so you don't lose out on anything at all by not using them."

You miss out on "content" when you make a choice that won't let a character join you (and vice versa) or any other dozens of choices in the game. That's the whole point of making choices. If you bring a rogue, you get access to the mickey mouse loot you get in random chests. To be honest, it's quite a bit more trivial than most of the other decisions in the game. Inevitably, you're going to lose out on something in the game.

Dennis

Banned
I don't really have to time to play this game again until the weekend so it is very annoying how everybody seems to be having fun.

So could we please agree to wait till....lets say saturday morning to play again?

Guys?

Google

Teknopathetic said:
You miss out on "content" when you make a choice that won't let a character join you (and vice versa) or any other dozens of choices in the game. That's the whole point of making choices. If you bring a rogue, you get access to the mickey mouse loot you get in random chests. To be honest, it's quite a bit more trivial than most of the other decisions in the game. Inevitably, you're going to lose out on something in the game.

Following on from this;

Surely the idea of an RPG is to allow the player to make the decisions, and change the course of the game?

If it were a linear set of rules, that didn't differ nor change outside of the boundaries set by the game and story, surely it would be far worse for it?

Doytch

SnakeswithLasers said:
lol @ the blood.

You and your dog walking out of the pantry just absolutely covered in blood and nobody batting an eye. WTF?
Yeah that moment in particular made me roll my eyes. I have no idea if it's intentional or not, but there're some ridiculous moments because of it. Incredibly tame spoilers for Human Noble:
Your mother splattered with blood after a fight is another.

Zeliard

Teknopathetic said:

When it comes to losing out on content due to pissing off certain characters, or never meeting them, I'm perfectly fine with that. In fact, I think that's a great thing, since it does wonders for replayability and also makes perfect sense. The problem I have with the rogue limiting things is that it's an entire class, rather than a certain character, and it limits things due to gameplay reasons rather than storyline ones.

Ultimately, though, it's a very minor point and not even something I particularly consider a criticism. The main reason I'm annoyed by it is, selfishly, due to the party limit of four. If it was a higher number like in BG2, it wouldn't be a big deal, but I don't particularly want to give up companions I've actually grown attached to in some fashion simply for the sake of opening up chests. It hurts to be a loot whore. :(

bengraven

What the hell? Can't upload my screenshots to Photobucket. Keep getting errors.

Also, I started both my human noble warrior and female elf lesbo peasant last night before bed.

I think I'll be playing the female elf. She has made it perfectly clear she does NOT want to get married. She dreams of vagina.

I lolled at the drunk elves.

JoeBoy101

Lone_Prodigy said:
I can't stop reading this thread even though I don't want spoilers. Spent 2 hours last night and I can't believe I made it to work this morning on time. In those 2 hours I've already:

Been orphaned, scored with an elven MILF, had said MILF get killed, ran around in a loincloth while faithful dog attacked, went through an entire story with nanny and old teacher to build relationships (only to have them die), and accidentally de-equipped mother's armour.

Oh yeah and the PC CE is awesome.

Holy shit, I missed some stuff. Playing a polite goody-two shoes right now, but my rogue for the next playthrough is DEFINITELY going about this differently.

JoeBoy101

SnakeswithLasers said:
lol @ the blood.

I wasn't. But then, I had my dog lick it all off of me. :D

careksims

I played... all... night... ugh X_x. 16hrs!? That's bad! I have work to do!

Also I find myself switching camera angles a lot from top-view to the lower camera view. Not bad at all. I also find myself not using the rogue much >_> Only for the lock picking XD

Zeliard

Ploid 3.0 said:
Man even in single player games people don't want to invite the thief :(

Actually, having only recently reached the world map, I haven't actually met a potential rogue party member yet. :D Maybe Leliana will win me over with her charm.

Love the origin story and how it really frames everything from that point on. Super effective storytelling idea. When my group of fighters met Morrigan there was an appropriate tension to the conversation (especially after having just fought an emissary). She addressed my character as one who wasn't necessarily as fearful of magic, though. Those touches really develop your character and the interactions you'll have with others.

JoeBoy101

Ploid 3.0 said:
Man even in single player games people don't want to invite the thief :(

Annah was ALWAYS in my party.

b0044107_12060772.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DennisK4 said:
I don't really have to time to play this game again until the weekend so it is very annoying how everybody seems to be having fun.

So could we please agree to wait till....lets say saturday morning to play again?

Guys?

3294995824_2ea5f09c94_o.gif

LCfiner

Knux-Future said:

help a noob out.

I recommend the 360 version. smooth framerate, acceptable visuals.

You can always double dip on the PC version months from now (or years) when you need to upgrade your PC.

Ploid 3.0

Zeliard said:
Actually, having only recently reached the world map, I haven't actually met a potential rogue party member yet. :D Maybe Leliana will win me over with her charm.

I was just joking about my experiences in FFXI. I'm actually going to be a tank for a change and will depend on finding Leliana fast. I'll turn her into a Rogue/bard.

Zeliard

dollartaco said:
Love the origin story and how it really frames everything from that point on. Super effective storytelling idea. When my group of fighters met Morrigan there was an appropriate tension to the conversation (especially after having just fought an emissary). She addressed my character as one who wasn't necessarily as fearful of magic, though. Those touches really develop your character and the interactions you'll have with others.

One thing that's really cool is I've already been noticing things like references to past dialogue and events and such while progressing through the story. Every origin's storyline converges once you join the Grey Wardens (I believe), but it looks like the rest of the story doesn't simply forget about your origin after that.

Also, as an Elf Mage, it's rare that a new character I meet fails to bring up either one of those two heritages (if not both, i.e. "hey you're an elf, your magic is probably mad powerful"). :p

LCfiner

One thing I like about the origins is that it can guide your approach to the game after Ostagar.

They give you a choice of places to go and I immediately thought of seeing the Magi since I'm an awesome-ass mage.

In other Bioware games when given this choice, it's always been a random guess as to where to go next. there's been no reason to go to one place over another. They were all interchangeable.

Having this origin story gives me a sense of "home" in the world and a reason to favor one location over another.

Good Job, Bioware.

JoeBoy101 said:
Annah was ALWAYS in my party.

b0044107_12060772.jpg
Well, to be honest, PS:T didn't really force you to make many difficult party decisions unless you bothered to pick up Nordom (and you should always bother to pick up Nordom, he's the best one: "The issue no longer equals total logic." <3<3<3). But yeah, if you didn't play a thief (and why would you in PS:T), you had to have Annah.

Woo-Fu

Banned
damn it. I hate fights that last 15 minutes and then you die in about 10 seconds from wtfuber spell. No save during combat so you get to spend 15 minutes on each attempt to figure out a counter for the uber spell.

On the rogue issue I almost always play the rogue myself in these games. You know there will be locked doors and chests and plenty of traps to deal with, so you do it yourself.

Knux-Future said:

help a noob out.
Well, if you're like me and never really notice framerate then the PS3 version supposedly has better visuals and faster loading times, so if that sounds like a more apparent advantage to you then go with the PS3 version. However, if frame-rate is that big a deal to you get it on 360.

Zeliard

LCfiner said:
Having this origin story gives me a sense of "home" in the world and a reason to favor one location over another.

Good Job, Bioware.

Yep. Turning this mage into one of the warrior mages that my wizard-classes in RPGs inevitably end up as would actually feel sacriligeous. Part of that is the origin story itself, but a big part is also the entire reasoning in the game's story and lore behind mages having magic (and nobody else). It makes sense and I love it.

syllogism

No idea what's with the difficulty complaints so far as I'm playing on hard and hadn't had to reload yet. Admittedly i only just beat the ogre

The game is real good. I took a Dwarf Noble Warrior as my character.

Only issue I have is I just went standard melee class build and put almost everything into strength, I am mopping up in the beginning of the game. I think I only played a little past the Joining ritual missions though.

I think I will regret going sword and shield though I think I should have gone two handed weapon.

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:
Yep. Turning this mage into one of the warrior mages that my wizard-classes in RPGs inevitably end up as would actually feel sacriligeous. Part of that is the origin story itself, but a big part is also the entire reasoning in the game's story and lore behind mages having magic (and nobody else). It makes sense and I love it.

"I do not know why you feel bad. I am quite content with my condition, as my name suggests."

Really, that dude freaked me out a bit. Though his explanation of magi in general was quite educational.

Zeliard

Anerythristic said:

Only issue I have is I just went standard melee class build and put almost everything into strength, I am mopping up in the beginning of the game. I think I only played a little past the Joining ritual missions though.

I think I will regret going sword and shield though I think I should have gone two handed weapon.

If you're that early on you should still have plenty of time to put some talent points into 2h.

Framerate on ps3 for me has been quite good. Only when things get really chaotic does it really ever get low. Visuals seem nice and crisp as well.

JoeBoy101

Anerythristic said:

Fair warning with two-handed is that you attack rate get..s r..e...a....l...l...y slow. Through heavy armor on and it only gets worse. But then again, when you hit, it really hurts. Plus, some of the 2H skills are nice. Love the Pommel Strike.

Swag

The Stone Golem bug is really starting to annoy me, has anyone else who has gotten Shale noticed that some of his moves are either friendly fire and not labelled in the tooltip? Either that or I'm just not noticing my party getting hit for large amounts of damage just as Shale does Quake :[

Zeliard

Sebulon3k said:
The Stone Golem bug is really starting to annoy me, has anyone else who has gotten Shale noticed that some of his moves are either friendly fire and not labelled in the tooltip? Either that or I'm just not noticing my party getting hit for large amounts of damage just as Shale does Quake :[

If it's an offensive wide-ranging or area-of-attack of some sort (i.e. most of the mage's spells), chances are it has friendly fire.

Top Bottom