• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

traveler

Not Wario
I've had this preloaded since Sunday and I still can't start it because I haven't decided what type of character I want to play. :lol

NewLib

Banned
Okay how do you do herbalism. My mage has two points in that skill but I cant figure out how to combine items to make potions.

LCfiner

FlyinJ said:
Can someone explain to me how they go about micro-managing their party in the 360 version?

Is there a way to pause the game and give orders without having that huge interface thing on the screen? One of the things I can't figure out is how to tell a character to use on of their quick abilities while I'm left-trigger paused over them. Is there any way to assign orders to each of your guys without the game unpausing every time you give an order?

Also, is there a way to get "switch weapon" on a hotkey?

the game will always unpause when you use the bumpers to switch characters. I guess the only way to minimize the frustration is to set the left trigger radial menu to "toggle" instead of "hold". two quick taps with the left fingers to give orders, as opposed to tap, then hoooooold, while using the menu.

so i opened up my DA case for 360 and found the armor card for ME2 and all DLC missions plus Shale? does everyone get this on the std editions?

So I take it everyone is having a good time on this game?

I started to buy it but with the size of my current back log I probably need to hold off on games that require a lot of hours.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
macfoshizzle said:
so i opened up my DA case for 360 and found the armor card for ME2 and all DLC missions plus Shale? does everyone get this on the std editions?

All I got was a card for dragon armor and on the other side was for some crystal-rock character. There was no quest included, even though the back of the box said the game comes with an extra quest for free. This was bought from bestbuy. Do different retailers get different codes? The back of the box said I get a quest, damnit!

Zeliard

MidnightRider said:
So I take it everyone is having a good time on this game?

I started to buy it but with the size of my current back log I probably need to hold off on games that require a lot of hours.

It's so good, though.

FlyinJ said:
All I got was a card for dragon armor and on the other side was for some crystal-rock character. There was no quest included, even though the back of the box said the game comes with an extra quest for free. This was bought from bestbuy. Do different retailers get different codes? The back of the box said I get a quest, damnit!

You unlock the character via the quest, it's all one code.

Krackatoa

FlyinJ said:

Shale, that crystal-rock character, is a whole quest-line that ends in you getting the character.

dionysus

Yaldog
Minsc said:
Risen seems to be the most recent example of such an RPG.

Character models/faces are way better in DA. Lighting and environments are better in Risen.

Edit. How do we get those amazon preorder codes? I havent received any email yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hey guys, EXP is shared right ? eg if my party kills something without me even touching it, i'm still also getting it's EXP right ?

markatisu said:
Thats not just a PC error, I had that happen 4 times yesterday on the 360

Just keep trying and you should get through

Hmm well thats good to know. Just wish I could get my download content already :-/

stuminus3

LCfiner said:
the game will always unpause when you use the bumpers to switch characters.
Huh? It unpauses when you initiate an action, but it shouldn't do when you switch between characters. I'm playing on toggle though, maybe it works differently with that setting.

FlyinJ said:
Also, is there a way to get "switch weapon" on a hotkey?
Not that I've found, I think you can only do it on the inventory screen.

macfoshizzle said:
Everyone gets those. It's basically piracy and used sale protection. They're giving you a $15 piece of DLC for free for buying their game brand new.

FlyinJ said:
Uh... o_O

I recommend you download the "crystal-rock character" and see what happens... :lol

Zeliard

Kaibutsu said:
wait what? No it's not

Heh, I just realized that the retail Collector's Edition doesn't get Warden's Keep for free, but digital versions do. I assume that's because the boxed version gets the cloth map and such that digital versions don't.

Mindlog

I was playing a fairly good character. I was even going to let a potential party member perish because I wasn't about to intimidate the chantry mother woman.

Then I get to the next town and the mother there has reservations about merely blessing the soldiers. That's it, done being cordial, chantry gonna get it.

I hate not having my dog in the party :(
I hate even more that I have a bard in my party with no Bow. I accidentally spent all my money on a shield :lol

bonus, just recently realized regular edition also came with Bound in Stone.
nice

Bioware is kicking my ass this gen. Thanks gents.

When do you learn Templar? Did you just badger Allistar into teaching you?

Justin

NewLib said:
Okay how do you do herbalism. My mage has two points in that skill but I cant figure out how to combine items to make potions.

Go into the potions section of the radial menu

This game is amazing. 2 levels away from this Templar taking Champion!

On an unrelated note because I'm an idiot...how do you link the 360 version to the social site?

Tenks

macfoshizzle said:
man this is a DLC nightmare.. why they have to make it so confusing

For real. It would be best case scenario to just bundle it in with the Steam download or have the code redeem in the game so I don't have to use their jank ass senior thesis level piece of shit website. I really don't care about Bioware social I just want my DLC.

Anyone playing this on a macbook pro, and if so how well does it run? Only 2 more days to decide which version to get (uk release)!!

The isometric view looks so friggin good. I might boot up BG2 with high res mods.

Zeliard

Mindlog said:
When do you learn Templar? Did you just badger Allistar into teaching you?

Someone posted a link to all of the specialization unlocks a couple pages or so ago, but I didn't look at it. Feels like some of those unlocks are tied to the storyline and/or your character progression, and are probably spoilers.

Zzoram

Isometric view is so beautiful. I had a bit of a control issue in the first house though. I right clicked on the chest but my dwarf commoner didn't go over and open it. I had to move him until he was right beside the chest first, then click the chest. Pretty annoying.

LCfiner

stuminus3 said:
Huh? It unpauses when you initiate an action, but it shouldn't do when you switch between characters. I'm playing on toggle though, maybe it works differently with that setting.

d'oh! You're right.

yeah, you can switch characters just fine but, as you say, each time you tell them to DO something, it unpauses. which, in my mind, is about the same. if you just switch them but don't give them any orders, then there's no real point. each given command unpauses the action and requires another tap of the trigger, then tap of the bumper.

I kinda wish, for the consoles anwway, that Bioware had cribbed even more from Kotor and kept in that queue bar for actions. I liked being able to assign actions for 4 (?) turns in kotor.

Mrbob

I was lucky to get all my DLC in right away on my steam copy, but it is disappointing it looks like there are so many issues with people getting this content on their respective systems.

stuminus3

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of CRPGs on console... I got a strange pang of regret that the console port of The Witcher was canceled as I played Dragon Age last night.

Very weird, because it's not a BioWare game, and I already own it on PC. o_O

garath

From this site:

http://dragonage.gulbsoft.de/doku.php/classes/specializations

Specialization unlocks are persistent between games, meaning that once unlocked in your player profile, your characters can learn a specialization without having to find the trainer first. They can also be unlocked even if the player character does not have the right class to actually learn them.

That seems real strange to me. The specialization unlocks are linked to your profile? Is this confirmed anywhere else?

painey

so are all the main stories the same, just the start that differs depending on "origin" kinda like WoW? or all totally unique?

Zzoram

LCfiner said:
d'oh! You're right.

yeah, you can switch characters just fine but, as you say, each time you tell them to DO something, it unpauses. which, in my mind, is about the same. if you just switch them but don't give them any orders, then there's no real point. each given command unpauses the action and requires another tap of the trigger, then tap of the bumper.

I kinda wish, for the consoles anwway, that Bioware had cribbed even more from Kotor and kept in that queue bar for actions. I liked being able to assign actions for 4 (?) turns in kotor.

Ya I liked that too.

Zod the Bear said:
On an unrelated note because I'm an idiot...how do you link the 360 version to the social site?

I want to know this as well. I can log into my social bioware site and it shows my achievements but not my character. :(

Zzoram

Dragon Age: Origins peaked at around 12,778 concurrent users on Steam over the past day. Pretty good for a single player game.

Zeliard

garath said:
That seems real strange to me. The specialization unlocks are linked to your profile? Is this confirmed anywhere else?

I think the manual mentions that as well, though I thought it only affected New Game + with the same character, not with every subsequent one.

garath

LCfiner said:
d'oh! You're right.

I thought I remember reading that if you do the hold trigger method (not the toggle) you can queue up commands - i.e. select a command on one character then switch to another and pick a command on that character, release trigger and both characters do their respective commands.

Mifune

Mehmber
LCfiner said:
d'oh! You're right.

Don't use toggle mode.

As long as you hold down the trigger, you can queue up moves. The game will remain paused until you let go.

It's a bit cumbersome but workable.

LCfiner

Mifune said:
Don't use toggle mode.

As long as you hold down the trigger, you can queue up moves. The game will remain paused until you let go.

ugh, I'll get carpal tunnel with my left trigger finger :lol

I'll have to try both methods in some later battles

Zzoram said:
Dragon Age: Origins peaked at around 12,778 concurrent users on Steam over the past day. Pretty good for a single player RPG that isn't released in Europe yet.
Ahem.

And yeah, I'd sorry they didn't do a Witcher console port too. Although that's more because in my mind there is a titanic battle raging between the Bethesda/MMO school of tedious grind-reward RPG and the ailing well-crafted, well-written, story-driven RPG (i.e. between the forces of darkness and the forces of All That Is Good and Holy), and The Witcher could have been a frontline trooper for the latter on consoles.

LCfiner said:
the game will always unpause when you use the bumpers to switch characters. I guess the only way to minimize the frustration is to set the left trigger radial menu to "toggle" instead of "hold". two quick taps with the left fingers to give orders, as opposed to tap, then hoooooold, while using the menu.

LB + RB highlights all the characters and allows you to give them all one command.

Zeliard

Shake Appeal said:
Ahem.

And yeah, I'd sorry they didn't do a Witcher console port too. Although that's more because in my mind there is a titanic battle raging between the Bethesda/MMO school of tedious grind-reward RPG and the ailing well-crafted, well-written, story-driven RPG (i.e. between the forces of darkness and the forces of All That Is Good and Holy), and The Witcher could have been a frontline trooper for the latter on consoles.

The Witcher's gameplay would have also translated a lot more easily to consoles than Dragon Age's much deeper, tactical combat does. Honestly, even though it seems to have some big issues, the fact that they manage to even make DA work on consoles without truly reducing it (like by removing a chunk of spells and abilities) is quite the feat.

Mifune

Mehmber
LCfiner said:
ugh, I'll get carpal tunnel with my left trigger finger :lol

I'll have to try both methods in some later battles

Yeah, it's something of a pain (literally!) but seemingly the only way to keep the game paused while issuing commands.

I'm playing on the PS3 and it's not too uncomfortable, though. Just wish toggle mode worked better. I mean, doesn't it defeat the purpose of using toggle if it's just going to unpause the game when you make a move?

Mifune said:
Don't use toggle mode. As long as you hold down the trigger, you can queue up moves. The game will remain paused until you let go. It's a bit cumbersome but workable.
So you can't queue at all if you're in toggle mode? Hmmm, that's too bad. Thanks for the tip, in any case.

Mifune said:
Don't use toggle mode.

Strange but thanks for the info. I'll be changing my config options tonight.

Mindlog

Zeliard said:
Someone posted a link to all of the specialization unlocks a couple pages or so ago, but I didn't look at it. Feels like some of those unlocks are tied to the storyline and/or your character progression, and are probably spoilers.

Yeah that's why I'm a little afraid of wandering off too far into this thread. Thank you for the heads up. All I know is I'm going to have to put a little more dex and maybe willpower into my warrior. I've pretty much just dumped every point into strength since I started.

I also would have taken persuasion instead of survival, but such are things.

luxarific said:
For people playing the 360 version, it looks like the Bioware server has finally updated with our Xbox characters. :D

And yikes, don't look at the story tab - very spoilerific.

I have to say the website is a nice idea. The community is split between the two forums though.

Social Website Forum

Game Site Forum

Well...it put up my achievement but not my character. Little steps but thanks for letting us know they're sortof getting up to speed. :)

I've only played for a little bit but I've got a question. I'm a rogue and I took Deft Hands which gives me a bonus to opening locks and disarming traps. But I've never been able to see any of the traps. Is there some special way to search for traps or are they just really, really hard to find? I've run into each one I've come across so far without being able to detect them first.

voodoopanda said:
I've only played for a little bit but I've got a question. I'm a rogue and I took Deft Hands which gives me a bonus to opening locks and disarming traps. But I've never been able to see any of the traps. Is there some special way to search for traps or are they just really, really hard to find? I've run into each one I've come across so far without being able to detect them first.

My character just randomly said... "There's a trap" and then it appeared and I disarmed it and got sweet sweet xp. Maybe you just haven't run into a trap?

Top Bottom