• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

LiK

ZombieSupaStar said:
jesus that sounds ass backwards....

yea, for PC version right? for the 360, i only need to enter the codes within the main menu Redeem Code screen. very easy.

garath

Haklong said:

Interesting. Really there's very little difference between the 3 versions that I can tell. PC is sharper and some better textures with no framerate hitches at all. PS3 might look a bit better than 360 but not so much that I'd care personally. You can only see the framerate differences in the 3 versions around 1:35 where they swivel the camera and engage the pack of wolves in the forest. PS3 is hitching a bit and is slower in the rotating camera (is that a framerate issue or just a slower swivel speed?) but you can see the framerate difference pretty clearly in the wolf fighting. PC is smooth as silk, 360 slower but still solid, ps3 slower still with some hitching. Personally I don't think it would bother me on either of the console versions. This isn't a twitch game by any means. Other than that section, I didn't see any framerate differences for the three versions through the rest of the video.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I bought this game for a friend of mine to repay a favor he did for me. He wasn't able to pick it up last night, and curiosity got the better of me. I ended up having to buy him another one, because I'm keeping it.:lol ...this game is fantastic.

Tadale

Is there a place to store items in the game? I feel like I'm constantly running out of item space, and I'd like to have a sort of "bank" to store items that I'm not using right now but I don't want to get rid of entirely.

DieH@rd

Banned
2s67mlu.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

I miss Boo.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
ghostmind said:
FIrst question: I need to decide if I'm going to pick up the CE or not today. Are the downloadable items (helm, book, staff) that come with the game worth the $10?

Second: GameStop says that they never got the preorder items in (memory band and wolf charm). Whatever. Are they worth tracking down?
Aside from maybe the Blood Dragon Armor, the items don't have much impact one way or another--and they definitely aren't worth $10.

garath

Tadale said:
Is there a place to store items in the game? I feel like I'm constantly running out of item space, and I'd like to have a sort of "bank" to store items that I'm not using right now but I don't want to get rid of entirely.

Buy backpacks whenever you can, that increases your inventory slots. Outside of that, the only storage is in the Warden's Keep, DLC.

Tadale

garath said:
Buy backpacks whenever you can, that increases your inventory slots. Outside of that, the only storage is in the Warden's Keep, DLC.

I was just reading about that on the official forums. I feel kind of stupid having not noticed any backpacks for purchase after plodding through 12 hours of this game.

ghostmind said:
FIrst question: I need to decide if I'm going to pick up the CE or not today. Are the downloadable items (helm, book, staff) that come with the game worth the $10?

Second: GameStop says that they never got the preorder items in (memory band and wolf charm). Whatever. Are they worth tracking down?
Would you be getting the '360 version? If so, send me a PM. If got an extra set of pre-order codes.

So I've stayed up until 2:30 AM, two nights in a row, playing this awesome game. I'm running off 8 hours of sleep for two days and I still can't wait to get home tonight and play more. :lol

I rolled a human noble warrior with dual wield. Loving this new character and I'm playing him based off my natural reactions. Also, I've got to say that Noble origin is leaps and bounds better than the Dalish origin.

garath

Tadale said:
I was just reading about that on the official forums. I feel kind of stupid having not noticed any backpacks for purchase after plodding through 12 hours of this game.

:)

I'm not very far in but I found my first (and only) one so far at the Ostagaar camp's Quartermaster. It was at the very bottom of the list, and pretty expensive for the money I had at the time. I was mostly broke afterwards.

Zeliard

Anyone know if there are any real differences at all, beyond slight dialogue changes, between the Human Mage and Elf Mage origins?

Zzoram

laserbeam said:
City Elf origin story is pretty awesome in a totally dark way. I really dig the fact that while all your potential characters are heros you dont have the whole picture perfect background etc

I like it a lot and I'm going with it for my first playthrough now.

Zzoram

manofmandango said:
Well, I was finally enjoying some Dragon Age on my day off. Just past
Ostagar, in the first town you visit a meet up with Sten and the rogue (her name escapes me)
I was about 2 hours in, and had just finished
all of the Chanter's quests
when I decide to head into the inn to sell some things. Game crashes. Lose two hours because I didn't save. So I begrudgingly restart the game, and it crashes 30 min in. Might have to reinstall it =/

It autosaves before boss fights. Why didn't you have an autosave to load?

I hope this question isnt really old, but:
Is the US 360 Version Region Free? Still want to import the US Collectors Edition(The Asia is sold out everywhere.)

REV 09

Haklong said:
PC easily wins

I can tell a huge difference in Framerate between 360 and PS3 when spinning the camera around.

I could not tell a difference in texture quality between the two on any object relatively close to the player/camera; however, i did notice that the PS3's textures did go further out where the 360's textures seemed to get blurry at those same distances.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Dumb question but are camps random or can you just venture out to the world map and set one up? I have quite a few serious wounds that I can't seem to heal.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
belvedere said:
Dumb question but are camps random or can you just venture out to the world map and set one up? I have quite a few serious wounds that I can't seem to heal.
Camp button is up on the top right of the map. Click it any time you've got the world map open.

Darkman M

This is might be the best game ive played this generation, it most certainly is the most complete the amount of and quality of the voice acting it pretty stunning and im only 13 hours in.

REV 09

danielijohnson said:
I'm on the fence...my holiday budget is tight. Should I pick this up or wait for Alpha Protocol/Mass Effect 2?
AP may be a while, ME2 is pretty damn close though...if you didn't buy DA, then what other game would you buy?...or would you just prefer to save the money/spend it on something non-gaming related?

I would say that DA definitely has the value for the money....as far as playtime. Quality is more subjective and is more relevant to your personal tastes.

hermit7

So after fully leveling up my Mages healing path (non-spec), I am finding it to be far less useful than what I need. Hopefully Spirit Healer is able to do more for me.

EzLink

Banned
This game has been my first experience with this type of genre. Everything is magnificient, except I'm not really feeling the combt. I'm only about an hour in, but so far it seems to be just selecting the target and pressing A and they automatically fight it out until the enemy dies (or you die). Does the combat open up more as you progress?

Maybe it didn't help that I was stoned when I played it, because there is a lot of shit to take in and understand. Pretty overwhelming at first

Zeliard

hermit7 said:
So after fully leveling up my Mages healing path (non-spec), I am finding it to be far less useful than what I need. Hopefully Spirit Healer is able to do more for me.

Yeah? I've been going down the Healing magic line. Just recently got Regeneration. Mass Rejuvenation not helpful?

Tadale

EzLink said:
This game has been my first experience with this type of genre. Everything is magnificient, except I'm not really feeling the combt. I'm only about an hour in, but so far it seems to be just selecting the target and pressing A and they automatically fight it out until the enemy dies (or you die). Does the combat open up more as you progress?

Maybe it didn't help that I was stoned when I played it, because there is a lot of shit to take in and understand. Pretty overwhelming at first

Obviously, you get more options as your party levels up and more skills become available to you.

DrBo42

I have never died this much in a game before. Going 2H weapons from the start seems to be the worst possible choice. Anyone else experiencing this?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
DrBo42 said:
I have never died this much in a game before. Going 2H weapons from the start seems to be the worst possible choice. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sword & board for life, yo.

markatisu

DrBo42 said:

I am in the same boat but it gets better after a while, utilize your team more and learn to hit and run :lol

Nif

I'm at the Dalish camp right now trying to
kill the werewolf guy
but I don't know if I'm supposed to be going this deep in the ruins. I keep running into really hard bosses. :( Right now I'm on one that
summons a shitton of skeletons, then paralyzes me
. Maybe I should just try another route.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DrBo42 said:

I went 2 hander and I do well. Alister helps though.

Tobor

Just finished up the Warden's peak and I'll probably move on the The Stone Prisoner now.

This is my game of the year, hands down.

hermit7

Zeliard said:
Yeah? I've been going down the Healing magic line. Just recently got Regeneration. Mass Rejuvenation not helpful?

I think that its fine, but the only one that I have been using with much frequency is Heal because it is instant. I am finding the later levels to be almost useless in the thick of combat.

Swag

Zeliard said:

Mass Rejuvanation only regenerates stamina / mana, the aoe heal is called group heal. Spirit Healers get Lifeward [regenerates life when you fall below death threshold], reseurrection and I think a persistent heal that is clicked active and drains mana over time but heals health / injuries.

I think the healing is pretty spot on unless your getting swarmed by more then 6 enemies, at that point you either need a dedicated tank / healer support or your gonna get killed ( on Hard ). I've noticed the thing that kills me the fastest is when my tank gets knocked / frozen down by mages, because I'm just going to assume that when your knocked down enemies have a 100% direct hit rate which isn't mitigated by whether you have a shield or not.

Once your frozen it's pretty much having to heal bomb / drop glyphs and support spells on that character or they die in like 3 seconds.

Tadale

Tobor said:
Just finished up the Warden's peak and I'll probably move on the The Stone Prisoner now.

How long did it take you to finish Warden's Peak? I finished The Stone Prisoner, and it seems like a really short for such an expensive piece of DLC.

JoeBoy101

DrBo42 said:

There is a third tier talent in 2H that enables every one of your strikes to have a chance to stun your target.

Its a painful spec to work with at the beginning, but it starts getting REALLY powerful as you level up. Toggles like Powerful Swings and Indomitable start allowing you to ignore stuns and take scrub enemies down to half-health with one mighty swing.

But again, its painful at first. VERY. Feels like you can cook a casserole in the time it takes to swing.

bengraven

Wow, it only took me a little over an hour to finish the city elf intro and get to the GW camp.

I might do all the intros and then play the game.

Tobor

Tadale said:
How long did it take you to finish Warden's Peak? I finished The Stone Prisoner, and it seems like a really short for such an expensive piece of DLC.

Warden's Peak took me a couple of hours, maybe? You get a skill boost, permanent storage, and a nice weapon shop afterwards, though. It was 560 points, I think, I'm fine with that.

Stone Prisoner is free with every new copy, why would you have purchased it?

Zeliard

Tobor said:

How did you get the Stone Prisoner quest trigger? Automatic?

DrBo42 said:

2H is all about damage output and it gets some nice abilities later, so it's going to be weak earlier in the game when your weapons aren't that great and stats aren't that high, but it will become more useful as you progress and enemies are more heavily armored.

Sebulon3k said:
Mass Rejuvanation only regenerates stamina / mana, the aoe heal is called group heal. Spirit Healers get Lifeward [regenerates life when you fall below death threshold], reseurrection and I think a persistent heal that is clicked active and drains mana over time but heals health / injuries.

I think the healing is pretty spot on unless your getting swarmed by more then 6 enemies, at that point you either need a dedicated tank / healer support or your gonna get killed ( on Hard ). I've noticed the thing that kills me the fastest is when my tank gets knocked / frozen down by mages, because I'm just going to assume that when your knocked down enemies have a 100% direct hit rate which isn't mitigated by whether you have a shield or not.

Once your frozen it's pretty much having to heal bomb / drop glyphs and support spells on that character or they die in like 3 seconds.

Hmm... think I might send Morrigan or another mage teammate on the Spirit Healer route. My mage is probably going with Blood Mage/Shapeshifter.

Alistair gets in trouble a lot. I need to pump some CON points into that guy.

Tobor

Zeliard said:
How did you get the Stone Prisoner quest trigger? Automatic?

2H is all about damage output and it gets some nice abilities later, so it's going to be weak earlier in the game when your weapons aren't that great and stats aren't that high, but it will become more useful as you progress and enemies are more heavily armored.

Hmm... think I might send Morrigan or another mage teammate on the Spirit Healer route. My mage is probably going with Blood Mage/Shapeshifter.

Alistair gets in trouble a lot. I need to pump some CON points into that guy.

Look under downloadable content in your quest log and it tells you where to go. Two DLC quests, two entries in the quest log.

hermit7

Sebulon3k said:

Group heal is on the line of Spirit Healers, as a clarification.

Don't know if that was what you were implying.

Zeliard

Tobor said:
Look under downloadable content in your quest log and it tells you where to go. Two DLC quests, two entries in the quest log.

I installed it and enabled it, but I never got any quest info or anything for it like I did with Warden's Keep.

Darkman M

My party consist of

My character- Warrior Sword/Shield type

Morrigan- Nuke mode all day

Wynne- Truly a life saver makes this difficult game much more manageable.

Leliana- Gotta have those chest unlocked.

It's working great so far all the girls fight from a distance leaving my tank to take all the damage while they nuke the shit out of everyone:D .

Top Bottom