• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard 140,000 lines of dialogue and 700 characters, the most of any Bioware game

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Nice, good to see they are putting those voice actors to use.

I never understood why some games had limited dialogue and you had voice actors, but you'll play parts of the game and they are just providing text or some shit lol If I'm paying full price for a AAA game, I expect it all to be voice acted, we've had the space for that on Bluray for years lol

vmbf4hhxqet91.png

This.

Starfield also did a great job with everything being voiced (same with BG3)

We need more RPGs doing this.

SHA

And 343i declared that Halo Infinite was the biggest game they'd ever made. It launched with less content than the original Halo.

Devs must really think very little of their players to keep running the same PR time after time.
Exclusives kinda follow the same pattern, they aren't huge, they make little fancy scenes to make people acknowledge that as accomplishment, pretty much how they trick us subconsciously vs real big games from 3rd party studios, I washed my hands long time ago from expecting something as big from 1st party studios, that's just not gonna happen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
IwgNuLq.png

How the fuck does that even work? How are you a grown man with two sons and a wife but insist on being called "they" and identify as non-binary? A few years ago, this man would have been laughed out of the room, but now they're leading writing teams of AAA games.

If his writing is anything like DA: I or Andromeda, this will be a hard pass for me.

Also, am I wrong or people of his ilk are very frequently on writing teams? They’re never somewhere where their politics can be safely ignored.
If you google it, his wife Karin doesn't exactly look normal either.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nice, good to see they are putting those voice actors to use.

I never understood why some games had limited dialogue and you had voice actors, but you'll play parts of the game and they are just providing text or some shit lol If I'm paying full price for a AAA game, I expect it all to be voice acted, we've had the space for that on Bluray for years lol

This.

Starfield also did a great job with everything being voiced (same with BG3)

We need more RPGs doing this.
TBH sometimes less is more when it comes to dialog. Personally I prefer when important dialog is voiced and the rest is just text.

Especially when so much of the dialog is either “here, let me give you some long-winded explanation for why I’m asking you to go fetch five donkey scrotums, dialog you don’t give a shit to listen to because you know it’s just buttering you up before dumping a generic fetch quest on you”, or else some lore dump.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
TBH sometimes less is more when it comes to dialog. Personally I prefer when important dialog is voiced and the rest is just text.

Especially when so much of the dialog is either “here, let me give you some long-winded explanation for why I’m asking you to go fetch five donkey scrotums, dialog you don’t give a shit to listen to because you know it’s just buttering you up before dumping a generic fetch quest on you”, or else some lore dump.

I'd rather have it all voiced and simply the option for text or something.

Westcliff

Neo Member
If you read this correctly, it seems that the more words in the script, the worse the story becomes. No thanks!
  • Mass Effect 2: 20,000 words
  • Mass Effect 3: 40,000 words
  • Andromeda: 65,000 words
  • Inquisition: 80,000 words
  • Veilguard: 140,000 words (95,000 words if each Rook has 15k)

I still see they're throwing around the Bioware name. As if it was even relevant of what to expect in terms of the quality.
Not going to rip a game I haven't played or even seen, but... other signs of "heads up" aren't out of the question.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Probably in the minority, I am actually excited for this game.

Have not played any previous DA games and never got into any purple cheery games either. This if did story and adventure right then the vistas will be quite pretty.

Hero_Select

I get it but it's sad to see everyone already writing the game off as a dud.

We've not seen a whole lot of the game outside of lvl1 combat. I hope it's good, dragon age is dope

In the good old days men experiencing a midlife crisis would dump their wife and buy a motor, now they dye their hair blue and change their pronouns.

I know you meant "motorcycle", but the thought of a man just buying a single motor, not even a chassis to put it in, is so fucking funny to me. Just a dude with salt and pepper hair, in a lawn chair, sipping a White Monster, with his motor right beside him.

Have a doodle of this insane thought of mine.

iu1xCF5.jpeg

Last edited:
The hate of some Little Kids Here is Horrible.The game isn’t even out but they all know how it is.I for my part can’t wait even it is only a bit good will be a great game.Love huge games with lots to explore and to do.

Larxia

The hate of some Little Kids Here is Horrible.The game isn’t even out but they all know how it is.I for my part can’t wait even it is only a bit good will be a great game.Love huge games with lots to explore and to do.
It's just because we've seen this scenario repeating over and over, we're used to seeing the patterns of bad games now.
Pretending the opposite is just ignoring big warnings. This game has so many red flags going for it. It's like Gotham Knights, or Concord, it's games we knew were going to be bad before they were out, it's just visible.
And it doesn't help that bioware games have been getting worse and worse every time.

Last edited:
It's just because we've seen this scenario repeating over and over, we're used to seeing the patterns of bad games now.
Pretending the opposite is just ignoring big warnings. This game has so many red flags going for it. It's like Gotham Knights, or Concord, it's games we knew were going to be bad before they were out, it's just visible.
And it doesn't help that bioware games have been getting worse and worse every time.
I will wait and see for me a 70 score is a good game especially if it’s something I am interested in.For lots of people a game must be atleast a 90 to be a good game.

Larxia

I will wait and see for me a 70 score is a good game especially if it’s something I am interested in.For lots of people a game must be atleast a 90 to be a good game.
The score doesn't mean anything, plenty of super boring games have 80+, and there are hidden gems with below 70.
I don't care about scores, I just think it will be a very generic game, and seeing the lead writer behind it, I'm not interested at all.

intbal

The most entertaining thing about this is how RPGCodex are just absolutely fucking tearing this thing apart. Love it.

Meanwhile, IGNorant are covering the most important aspects of the game, like how good the flirting is this time around.

If any of these people had applied for a job at id Software in 1997, Carmack would have hacked them to bits with a broadsword and Romero would have performed a demonic ritual over their remains to condemn their souls to Hell for an eternity.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, IGNnorant are covering the most important aspects of the game, like how good the flirting is this time around.

If any of these people had applied for a job at id Software in 1997, Carmack would have hacked them to bits with a broadsword and Romero would have performed a demonic ritual over their remains to condemn their souls to Hell for an eternity.

Can we still do that for anyone or thing associated with being "cozy"?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How good was Inquisition ? is it worth it to play it now ?
Personally I really enjoyed it and think it’s worth playing. Worst thing about it is the open world bloat. The landscape is just covered with quest markers and stuff to do. If you play it, just do as much or little of the side content as you feel like and don’t let it give you FOMO.

But I thought the story was very good, the writing was good, the combat is fun once I found a style/class I liked, and the visuals look fantastic even today. And I think it’s still on sale for like $4 including the expansions (which were really well done)

PeteBull

Gold Member
How good was Inquisition ? is it worth it to play it now ?
For early ps4/xbox one game it was solid, fun wise ofc way below witcher3 but it was 8/10 if u like western rpg genre.
Looks/perf wise if u can play it maxed on midrange pc if u should coz consoles struggled quite a bit even with 30fps stable fps cap

Here relatively recent review of the game, timestamped to conclusion if u cant be bothered to watch everything

TLDR its still worth playing by now if u skipped it.

Top Bottom