• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Takao

Banned
So like Kai's Ocean dub is going to be a Vancouver - Calgary production. Seems they're still making headway on it, which is cool. Maybe the show will actually air in Canada once this dub is done?

Super Saiyan 3 Gohan isn't needed since Mystic Gohan > that.

No, we need Super Saiyan 3 Gohan, Goten, and Kid Trunks. Once we get the major Saiyans out of the way we'll be left with Raditz, Nappa, Tarble, King Vegeta, Onio, Paragus, the ancient filler Saiyans, the rest of Bardock's comrades! I'm counting down the days until Super Saiyan 3 Nappa is revealed!

Are Piccolo Daimao kids Namekians or what?

They were not born on Namek, and don't really look like Namek's people so ... no? Tambourine's some weird lizard dude after all.

Takao

Banned
OTWc8.jpg

46mgo.jpg

W0e0l.jpg

Takao

Banned
So I dug around the flash file (I added a drop shadow to make it more apparent):

ibeSAfzrdDdnpC.png

There's no doubt that's Shenron.

Kokonoe

Banned
Alright, I'm posting my top 10 Bruce Faulconer songs, not in any order.

Top 10 Bruce Faulconer DBZ

The build up to this in my view is to represent all the emotions that Gohan is letting slip away finally. When the main part hits, it gives off a really powerful sound that I just find amazing.
1. Gohan Angers

The build up for Goku, all he's experienced throughout his entire life, and the final string holding him back now gone with Krillin's death. It's just amazing how good this goes with the scene.
2. SSJ Transformation

This track gives off a strong sense of nobility(Prince of Saiyans), and status. It's almost a chant with the bells. When Vegeta always appeared with this song, you knew something of some sort was going to happen or be said.
3. Vegeta's Theme

One of Bruce Faulconer's greatest works. If there was ever a song that showed the pinnacle of a character, this certainly did the job. It also went perfectly with Final Flash due to the extent of it. (Vegeta's pinnacle)
4. Vegeta Super Saiyan

And this! Is! To go even further beyond! Such a fantastic and creative song. This song made SSJ3 in my eyes. I don't have much else to say, other than this is a swell song I'd listen to pretty much any time.
5. Super Saiyan 3 Goku

So I'm not quite sure what Bruce was thinking here with Pikkon. This song is stunning, Pikkon must have been one of his favorite characters. It starts with a mysterious/ancientish vibe, but then begins to pick up into a much more powerful, epic if you will, tone.
6. Pikkon's Theme

This song has a few vibes to it. It has a vibe to represent the hardships Trunks has gone through from the androids and Gohan dying, it has a vibe to represent the happiness Trunks feels when he's "done", and one to look towards the future. Beautiful song.
7. Trunk's Story

Piccolo's first encounter with a Namekian besides Kami, and Nail's own gift is his body. I suppose the theme of this one is the gift he had for Piccolo is beyond expected, and great.
The peaceful tone of this is really soothing to the ears.
8. Nail's Gift

This is like the previous Trunks song vibe wise, but it's much more deep. Just listen.
9. Episodic Trunks

Such an ominous sound. This is the most intense comeback theme of a villain I've heard before. I picked this because when mixed with the actual scene, it's stellar.
10. Cell Returns

This list was pretty difficult to make as there is at least 20 songs I might've swapped out with that are almost or just as good as some of the ones I picked. I'm actually use to how they sound in .FLAC then how it sounds on youtube, but least it's a reference.

Either way, I like Bruce Faulconer's work.

Kokonoe

Banned
I should really rewatch the series again, or maybe actually watch DB Kai...

Kai isn't that bad, just when I watched it, it inspired me to watch the original. (which in turn reminded me how much I like the original funimation one a lot more)

When it got up to the Cell Saga, I just didn't like the sound of Gohan's voice and it put me off. Frieza's voice and original Frieza are both decent so I had no issue in the Frieza saga.
Of course the music plays a big part in this for me as well obviously.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kai isn't that bad, just when I watched it, it inspired me to watch the original. (which in turn reminded me how much I like the original funimation one a lot more)

When it got up to the Cell Saga, I just didn't like the sound of Gohan's voice and it put me off. Frieza's voice and original Frieza are both decent so I had no issue in the Frieza saga.
Of course the music plays a big part in this for me as well obviously.

Well, I'll watch it in Japanese so voice overs should be the same or at least close. Parts of the original dub aren't too terrible though.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well, I'll watch it in Japanese so voice overs should be the same or at least close. Parts of the original dub aren't too terrible though.

Ah, yeah. DBZ is just one of those animes I prefer the dub over. Although I tend to like dub, but I'll watch either or depending on what I consider the better version. Like with Yu-Gi-Oh!, I only can get into the dub.

Kokonoe you forgot his best song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3f35pvZZVY

Seriously though... Faulconer's music makes DBZ for me. It's a shame he hasn't done anything since. I just cannot get into the Japanese music which lacks variety and has too many repeat songs that don't fit the situation.

I remember watching the Japanese Bio Broly and the part in the beginning where they're showing him in the tubes and the scientists working on him, it sounds happyish. I then proceeded to watch the funimation one later, and it has guitar riffs going on to represent the actual vibe of the situation.

That's when I knew for me personally that I couldn't get into it. I'll post some more Bruce another time, I have all the albums in FLAC and there is literally at least 20 or more songs that are top material.
Although, that didn't stop me from watching half of the Majin Buu saga in Japanese before it was dubbed.

Takao

Banned
DBZ dub is so bad though. It's always amazed me how the super weaboos who are always like "sub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dub" always have an exception for DBZ, despite the fact the dub's got a pretty awful script, and equally questionable casting. Kai's dub is a billion times better. Too bad it's Kai.

Kokonoe

Banned
DBZ dub is so bad though. It's always amazed me how the super weaboos who are always like "sub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dub" always have an exception for DBZ, despite the fact the dub's got a pretty awful script, and equally questionable casting. Kai's dub is a billion times better. Too bad it's Kai.

Well being that I completely disagree with the DBZ dub being part, I'll bring up a Kai comparison that they messed up compared to the original.

The Android 16 death scene lacks the emotion, quality, and excellent dialogue the original had. There are just some points that completely feel off, regardless of more studio quality.

I imagine for a lot of folks, the sub is looked down upon due to Goku's voice being incredibly high pitched. That tends to turn a lot of listeners off. I preferred the dub for awhile until I sat down and started marathoning the orange bricks with the original Japanese audio and now I can't go back. Vegeta and Piccolo sound constipated in English. (I wish I could have the main show dubbed in Abridged voices with the Japanese score)

Bladenic

Saw that the original DB is all available on DVD on Amazon. I'm kind of tempted to rewatch, just to relive my childhood. What a great show. DB > DBZ imo (overall, but DBZ is better in certain parts and aspects).

Anth0ny

DBZ's dub is bad. This is a fact. You can like the voices, you can like the music, but if you respect the source material at all, you'd see how inaccurate the script is, how inappropriately the music is used, and how ridiculous the voices are (Freeza? Kaio-sama?)

I grew up with the DBZ dub on Toonami. But as soon as I realized the show was actually from Japan, I gave the Japanese version a try and never looked back. Watching the English dub of DBZ is like watching the English dub of Godzilla at this point.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
DBZ's dub is bad. This is a fact. You can like the voices, you can like the music, but if you respect the source material at all, you'd see how inaccurate the script is, how inappropriately the music is used, and how ridiculous the voices are (Freeza? Kaio-sama?)

I grew up with the DBZ dub on Toonami. But as soon as I realized the show was actually from Japan, I gave the Japanese version a try and never looked back. Watching the English dub of DBZ is like watching the English dub of Godzilla at this point.

Goku's Japanese voice... Ugh.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Nostalgia. Plain and simple. The dub is probably what got those people into anime in the first place too.

And yeah I'll agree I prefer Kai's dub so much more than regular Z. Vegeta sounds like an idiot all the way until the Buu arc where he sounds somewhat tolerable. And just the lines the come out of their mouths sound absolutely ridiculous.

I can't find it online but the scene where Goku first shows his Instant Tranmission I remember being extra dumb in terms of dialogue.

Kokonoe

Banned
Nostalgia has nothing to do with it for me at least. I genuinely believe the original funimation one is much better and has much better dialogue.

That isn't a fact, it's an opinion. In fact I also don't agree with your opinion at all either.

Anth0ny

So Goku is an old woman...

Yeah. No.

So Freeza is an old woman...

Yeah. No.

Goku is a child. Women voicing young boys is pretty common with animation. With DBZ, Toriyama decided that the voice still fit Goku as an adult since he hasn't really "grown up". He has the heart of a child ^_^

I can give you everything, but this. No no no no. Going SSJ3, return of the Dark Prince, Cell's/Buu's demise. Just... no.

All I know is generic rock music is constantly playing when there should be silence. By the time the Buu saga started I was watching the Japanese version exclusively.

Kokonoe

Banned
Goku's actions prove the heart he has, having a high pitched voice isn't necessary to show that in my opinion.

Although I don't think the Japanese voices sound bad, I consider them misplaced. As in on the wrong characters.

Solune

Alright, I'm posting my top 10 Bruce Faulconer songs, not in any order.
3. Vegeta's Theme

One of Bruce Faulconer's greatest works. If there was ever a song that showed the pinnacle of a character, this certainly did the job. It also went perfectly with Final Flash due to the extent of it. (Vegeta's pinnacle).

Either way, I like Bruce Faulconer's work.

My favorite right here. I know some people aren't fond of Faulconer's work but I enjoyed it. Also people saying Japanese VA superior than the Dub, that's fine. I watched the Japanese version first(Old yellow stainish subs ftw?) then the US version and I still vastly prefer the English VA.

for someone that is currently watching DB and enjoying the dubbed voices, will the DBZ voice cast remain largely the same ? (for returning characters only of course not the new ones duh)

lunchtoast

I recently read the Dragonball manga. I enjoyed all the adventures until it became a train/fight/train/fight Goku is so powerful.

Anth0ny

Although I don't think the Japanese voices sound bad, I consider them misplaced. As in on the wrong characters.

Like who? I'm curious. Besides the "omg Goku sounds like an old woman" argument, I've never really heard any strong feelings against any of the other voices.

Unless you count Bardock or Adult Gohan :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Like who? I'm curious. Besides the "omg Goku sounds like an old woman" argument, I've never really heard any strong feelings against any of the other voices.

Unless you count Bardock or Adult Gohan :p
Well, what I'm saying is the voices aren't suited to certain characters. I'll watch some more Japanese DBZ again in a bit later to give you a proper response.
If this was any other show would you consider a dub that made dub-only plot holes, made characters go out of character, rewrote several scenes, and had questionable casting delivering questionable performances "good"?

Cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah

Do you realize what is considered "good" is strictly an opinion in itself correct? Your opinion is saying there is questionable casting, questionable performances, and that rewriting to suit a different audience is bad. Perhaps that's why I don't like Kai, as it is in the same vibe as the Japanese version then the English one.

I prefer the dialogue chosen in the original funimation one as I've said before. I also believe things can be improved upon compared to the original. I like Project M compared to Smash Bros Brawl.

The English dub is alright and the voices became excellent after awhile. Though the purist in me is kind of torn on the music thing, at least the music they replaced it with is really freaking good, and Funimation eventually lightened up on a lot of stuff (compared to 4Kids, which was pretty brutal on Yugioh).

The most baffling thing Funimation ever did was that the DVD release of Dragonball actually censored a bunch of things that were shown even in the Cartoon Network televised version, as well as changing the music to become more generic (even though the very traditional music suited DB more than DBZ due to its heavy Monkey King influence). Even some of the dialogue was changed IIRC. It really sucked compared to the CN version.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Re-reading some of the manga right now... you know I think some of the anime filler has charm all its own.

Kokonoe

Banned
I tend to like the humor in the filler, although when I'm watching for the action, I don't like the specific moments that keep zoning in at Hercule/etc's reaction to each thing.

Although filler in DBZ isn't bad to me. There are other anime that have actual bad filler.

Top Bottom