• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Sparking! Zero PS5 Pre-Orders Tracking Above Call of Duty on PS Store

Kacho

DBSZ has been crushing it on Steam. There's genuine interest in that game. Gonna be huge for what it is.

9mmGm99.png

Saber

Good to know. I just hope it doesn't have any stupid "catch" or anything and is really a true sucessor to Budokai Tenkaichi series(like so many smartass try to correct me).

Codes 208

Yesterday it hit #1 on steam as well. We have 6 days left before the early access kicks off, lets fuckin’ gooooo!
Huge fan of the show but never been into the games. this actually looks alright. They did a great job with the animations and styling.
Its a sequel to budokai tenkaichi 3 which was well known as the best toybox arena fighter in the series, just about every character and unlimited potential for who you can match up.

Its not as competitive friendly as fighterz but imo dbz is best when its more of a fun party game like this

Last edited:

Skifi28

Not that I expect COD to bomb or anything, but last years DLC-made-into-full-price-game was quite disappointing for many people and I imagine the effects for that are felt on the next game.

Saber

Its not as competitive friendly as fighterz but imo dbz is best when its more of a fun party game like this

I wouldn't call competitive friendly, more like way too basic and for anyone who can hold a controller of how stupidly insulting easy that game was.
Budokai Tenkachi although have rather simple controls has a better combat and people would still need to learn how to play. Rewarding when person learns and its way more fun overall, not to mention it's combat looks closer to what DBZ is in general.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call competitive friendly
competitive friendly just means it can be played competitively because the characters will be balanced for it, BT always had too many characters to have any real semblance of balance, tons of characters were complete dogshit while others were crazy overtuned, like broly just having super armour all the time etc.

//DEVIL//

Not really following why. is it a tribute to Toriyama?

I don't like this kind of Dragon Ball Fighting game, I prefer more 2D style like FighterZ

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Not really following why. is it a tribute to the Toriyama?

I dont like this kind of Dragon Ball Fighting game, prefer more 2D style like FighterZ
It's because it's been 17 years since the last one came out, which most seem to dub as the best dragon ball video game series. Also I think the marketing for this game has been quite special. They've been teasing new trailers & characters once in a while for like the last 6 months or so, so it's building a lot of hype.

Plus, I think Toriyama's passing has got everyone in the feels for this one.

Codes 208

It's because it's been 17 years since the last one came out, which most seem to dub as the best dragon ball video game series. Also I think the marketing for this game has been quite special. They've been teasing new trailers & characters once in a while for like the last 6 months or so, so it's building a lot of hype.

It also helps that super is still ongoing (despite the hiatus for the manga) so dbz has been more active now since the release of battle of gods.

And youre right, people are nostalgic for BT which this game keeps promoting itself as the return of.
I wouldn't call competitive friendly, more like way too basic and for anyone who can hold a controller of how stupidly insulting easy that game was.
Budokai Tenkachi although have rather simple controls has a better combat and people would still need to learn how to play. Rewarding when person learns and its way more fun overall, not to mention it's combat looks closer to what DBZ is in general.
Competitive friendly in the sense that its still making rounds in esports-related tournies. Getting into it is easy but someone like me would quickly get folded by whoever knows how to actually chain combos.

Saber

Budokai Tenkaichi series was also extremelly popular back then and Super still being an ongoing series, pretty much what Codes 208 Codes 208 said.

Codes 208

Unreal engine doesn't suit the game imo, it looks sometimes too realistic instead of cartoony. Its holding me back to buy it.
Nah, it looks like a fusion of raging blast 2 and fighterz

Ultimate tenkaichi and that shonen jump game were the ones that looked way too realistic

This looks absolutely fucking peak

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

Nah, it looks like a fusion of raging blast 2 and fighterz

Ultimate tenkaichi and that shonen jump game were the ones that looked way too realistic

This looks absolutely fucking peak
Not bad yes but definitely not peak (the grass and lighting looks way too real life). After waiting so long, i expected to get full cell shading especially on next gen only.

Codes 208

Not bad yes but definitely not peak (the grass and lighting looks way too real life). After waiting so long, i expected to get full cell shading especially on next gen only.
The level designs look great imo, especially the city levels.

And regarding the anime, Dragon ball uses painted backgrounds, theres no reason to have the same level of cel shaded environments if the anime wasnt doing it to begin with

Astral Dog

Im not really hyped for this game(i barely play any DB games besides Kakarot)
but im interested in the new series coming out soon, Daima something it looks interesting,and supposedly will flesh out the Majin Buu arc

bitbydeath

Easy to learn, difficult to master is the best way to describe this series. The fighting has endless potential as every move can be countered and combo’d, allowing you to pull off some really crazy fights.

Inanilmaz

That’s a bad take.
This is easily the best looking DB game ever made.
Never said that another DB game looks better overall. But could be more accurate, More anime and less real life. What's about that a bad take?

Naruto for example shows how it should look like. Anime instead of real life environment design. But The characters in db look perfectly like anime but the environment look "real life" in VARIOUS places, kinda distracting.

bitbydeath

Never said that another DB game looks better overall. But could be more accurate, More anime and less real life. What's about that a bad take?

Naruto for example shows how it should look like. Anime instead of real life environment design. But The characters in db look perfectly like anime but the environment look "real life" in VARIOUS places, kinda distracting.
Are you just referring to the grass?
I don’t think anything looks too realistic, and it’s the first time we get destruction that stays for the entire match too!

Top Bottom