• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's not great when a show tries to insist that something is true, but the actual things that happen in the show demonstrate the exact opposite. Here's another example: Characters like Beerus say that Tien is cool and did a great job taking out the sniper, but the events of the episode clearly show that Tien is actually a complete chump who did a terrible job.

It's fine if Gohan is basically just a sentient brick wall, but they should really stop indicating that he's a smart fighter. That could actually be a fun bit of contrast - the book smart guy fights like a brute. Right now it's just weird.

It doesn't help that the writing between the different script writers seems to vary in their characterizations - and this doesn't just apply to Gohan but everyone else too.

Re: Gohan though, it kinda feels like they're pulling the same "Gohan has trouble with something before pulling out ahead eventually" that Toei's loved doing since the 90s. We'll see what happens.

The issue is there's not a whole lot of technique in the show in the first place. Only Roshi and Goku have abilities that aren't just beams or balls of energy. They've been trying to put more in, but the main cast needs to get some of that love too--and not just Goku.

Pretty much.

caliph95

The issue is there's not a whole lot of technique in the show in the first place. Only Roshi and Goku have abilities that aren't just beams or balls of energy. They've been trying to put more in, but the main cast needs to get some of that love too--and not just Goku.
Don't forget krillin
There is Tien clones and arms
But yeah
At least the enemies are getting gimmicks

I think it's actually been pretty good this arc in terms of fighters demonstrating technique/fighting intelligently. I don't want to list a bunch of examples, but one that really stood out to me was 17 baiting the wolf lady into a jump (thus negating her speed advantage) and counterattacking from the light.

I was also impressed with Frost immediately incorporating the Mafuba, a technique he saw for the first time, into his plan to take down Vegeta. Specifically, he figures out the type of opponent Roshi would use it against, how to bait the attack out, how to redirect it, and how the sealing works. It's pretty clever despite the ultimate failure of his plan.

So I think the show is definitely getting better about this in general, and this is pretty specifically a Gohan issue.

I see people criticizing Gohan's strategy, but it was brilliant in a key way: It wasn't expected at all. Considering the way he was defeated last time he was surely expecting that type of thing. He presumed Gohan was attacking him in a fashion that was entirely to his advantage, as did Champa, when in reality Gohan was making him so comfortable that he had no idea what was happening to him.

It was a brilliant strategy.

I see people criticizing Gohan's strategy, but it was brilliant in a key way: It wasn't expected at all. Considering the way he was defeated last time he was surely expecting that type of thing. He presumed Gohan was attacking him in a fashion that was entirely to his advantage, as did Champa, when in reality Gohan was making him so comfortable that he had no idea what was happening to him.

It was a brilliant strategy.

I'm lost

Gohan:

Pz7i97X.png

He was likely ready and more prepped for someone attempting to lift and toss him out. If I remember correctly, didn't he have his footing more firmly in place to prevent such a thing from ever happening again? Gohan's strategy was smart. Such a thing isn't close to being enough to tire him out.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
He was likely ready and more prepped for someone attempting to lift and toss him out. If I remember correctly, didn't he have his footing more firmly in place to prevent such a thing from ever happening again? Gohan's strategy was smart. Such a thing isn't close to being enough to tire him out.
I rewatched the scene and he said nothing like that.

You may be thinking of Goku saying he told Gohan about Botamo, meaning this genius strategy is something Gohan came up with his own in preparation.

I'm still lost for many reasons.

The bolded happened to Gohan in the past?

I don't remember a point being made about his footing in any case. I would take your word for it if it were just an observation you made and not something the show explicitly pointed out, but again I'm not familiar with the bolded scenario you're bringing up.

Is "such a thing" referring to Frieza or the Yardrat beating up Gohan? And how would Gohan's footing strategy help him from being tired out? Isn't that only supposed to help him from being lifted and tossed out....

OH you're talking about Botamo LOL

I can't remember what Botamo did to stop himself from being thrown out, but whatever it was caused Vegeta to tie up his arms. Though couldn't have Gohan did the same thing Vegeta did and tie up Botamo's arms? But then again I can't remember what stopped him from being thrown out in the first place.

so much of this tournament is a blur to me lol.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Goku came up with tossing Botamo out in the middle of his match against him.

Gohan was told about Botamo ahead of time and came up with the stupider version of that strategy.

caliph95

Can someone explain to how did it work because since Botamo is supposed to be immune to hits and attacks it's why Goku and Vegetables just lift and try to throw him off

Can someone explain to how did it work because since Botamo is supposed to be immune to hits and attacks it's why Goku and Vegetables just lift and try to throw him off

Jaco just made up the shit about sending the blows to another dimension, he probably just has really good shock absorption so punching upwards repeatedly will eventually lift him.

Anyway when it happened I didn't think it was too weird what Gohan was doing. The "other dimension" thing I assumed only applied to ki and whatnot. Physical things affect Botamo to some extent.

Nightbird

Huh, I actually prefer how the manga started this arc.

A Battle royale among the gods is far more interesting than seeing Goku fight again.

HeroR

Huh, I actually prefer how the manga started this arc.

A Battle royale among the gods is far more interesting than seeing Goku fight again.

It wasn't just Goku. We got Fat Buu to fight for the first time since Beerus and his first win since the Buu Saga several decades ago. We also had Gohan fight and actually used his head to win and showed a lot of battle smarts.

All the Gods of Destruction fighting maybe cool, but I prefer the anime since we got two characters who had no real fights in a long time duking it out. Buu especially since he isn't in the main tournament.

Re: Manga latest chapter

I loved how we got some characterization for a lot of GoDs/Kaio/Angels. Like Belmond being a dick, that one Kaio who was in the bathroom or the dynamic between U3 gods.

On the other hand, I didn't like the exhibition match. 1 because that means no Gohan and Buu match and 2 because I don't like how easily Beerus handled the situation with everyone attacking him at once :/

McBryBry

I finally succeeded. After hours of One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights, I've finally convinced my girlfriend to watch the anime I get excited about. Dragon Ball.

I haven't seen the original since I was young so I'm pumped to rewatch. We just watched the dub on funimation but ran into a small issue. She's weirded out by Goku's dick flapping around, and thought the Bulma suduction thing was weird. How often does that stuff come up? Lord I hope the Bulma flash isn't in this lol.

Also, her comments after episode 1. "This is dumb." However, she's willing to watch the next one! She seemed at least a little interested in the plot.

Skeeter49

I finally succeeded. After hours of One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights, I've finally convinced my girlfriend to watch the anime I get excited about. Dragon Ball.

I haven't seen the original since I was young so I'm pumped to rewatch. We just watched the dub on funimation but ran into a small issue. She's weirded out by Goku's dick flapping around, and thought the Bulma suduction thing was weird. How often does that stuff come up? Lord I hope the Bulma flash isn't in this lol.

Also, her comments after episode 1. "This is dumb." However, she's willing to watch the next one! She seemed at least a little interested in the plot.
Once you get past episode 8, that stuff really isn't in there again until the general Blue arc. Reminder that arc has Roshi shrinking down to see Bulma naked, and it gets pretty gross, the most disgusting thing DB has done for me.

At worst there are small gags, but nothing as bad.

The worst is the flash, and Goku "searching for Dragon Balls" where he shouldn't

I-hate-u

One of my biggest peeves about this arc are the commentary from the sidelines (except for Beerus and Champa), especially after Krillin got benched. I don't need the play by play from Krillin eating up time in the episode. Also, it makes look like all the characters in the stands are only looking at the focus of the episode and ignoring the rest of the fights on stage.

They should have reduced the warriors and universes involved and not made it a battle royale.

Like really U3/4/9 and soon to be U2 are such fodders they might as well as not include them in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom