• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickroach

Every character is stupid in the Cell Saga

hqdefault.jpg

Skeeter49

I'm hoping 17 does something amazing so that bandai has to swallow their pride.

Cause I was told he's not getting a dlc.

This would have been a great partial roster.

8MyUgV.jpg

The more time passes the worse the shit puppet is going to look.
17 wins the ToP with Gohan.
Believe.
Together they take out Jiren

Edit: Friends aren't supposed to let friends double post. You all betrayed me :(

HeroR

I would call that bold. I'll always respect an effort. Even if it's futile. Tien had to know how it would go down lol.

There's a thin line between bold and stupid, but that aren't one of them.

Krillin gets crap on for not joining the others in the charge, but he was honestly the only smart person there.

Rutger

Banned
He pretty much killed his dad.

If Goku was a good parent and actually prepared Gohan for the fight with Cell instead of surprising him with it, he wouldn't have needed an outsider like 16 to make him realize when it's okay to not hold back and he also could have been taught not to abuse his power.

Goku expecting his 11 year old son to be exactly like himself was the reason the fight with Cell was so much trouble.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
"Hey do you mind killing him before Cell does something stupid"

"No"

Goku shouldn't need to state the obvious to Gohan beforehand that the goal was to stop Cell. He tells Gohan to do it anyways and he doesn't.

Moaradin

Trunks is stupid for not just killing Cell when he had the chance because he didn't want to hurt Vegeta's feelings

Vegeta is stupid for letting Cell power up

Goku is stupid for giving Cell a damn senzu bean

Toriyama is stupid for coming up with possibly the biggest asspull in the series with Cell coming back after exploding while somehow keeping his perfect form, and he can teleport because why not.

Ashodin

"Hey do you mind killing him before Cell does something stupid"

"No"

Goku shouldn't need to state the obvious to Gohan beforehand that the goal was to stop Cell. He tells Gohan to do it anyways and he doesn't.

He had no idea that Gohan could even reach Super Saiyan 2, let alone that it was a thing that probably gave Gohan an enormous ego and/or feeling of pure power.

One could argue that Gohan being stupid when he has the upper hand is a consistent part of Gohan's character.

That said, by that point in the arc, Cell had been on the verge of defeat multiple times and managed to bounce back. Not taking him seriously was pretty dumb.

Ashodin

One could argue that Gohan being stupid when he has the upper hand is a consistent part of Gohan's character.

That said, by that point in the arc, Cell had been on the verge of defeat multiple times and managed to bounce back. Not taking him seriously was pretty dumb.

This is the point of Piccolo's training for the current arc, to stop Gohan from being stupid when he's got the upperhand.

We already saw him eliminate U10 without any remorse.

Rutger

Banned
It's almost like the Cell Saga was kinda bad.

Nah.

Characters not doing the smartest thing does not mean bad writing.
Trunks not wanting to hurt the feelings of his father he never met before? Not really all that strange, especially when he doesn't expect Vegeta to actually let Cell transform.

And Vegeta and Goku have shown many times before that they will gladly make careless choices for a good fight, so letting Cell power up and giving him the senzu bean are within character.

And of course, everything with Gohan in the final fight. He is 11 years old and not a fighter, expecting him to make the best choices in that fight is foolish, but Goku not thinking any of that through is expected.

All I know is something big is coming, or else there's no way they would've teased us about Goku's new transformation this far ahead. Then again, I wasn't following the day to day news over the series back in the day. I only watched the episodes. Is it common that they would just leak out entirely new major transformations like they've done with Goku's in this case?

Either way it's damn obvious that there's something else that we're all missing.

Nah.

Trunks not wanting to hurt the feelings of his father he never met before? Not really all that strange, especially when he doesn't expect Vegeta to actually let Cell transform.

And Vegeta and Goku have shown many times before that they will gladly make careless choices for a good fight, so letting Cell power up and giving him the senzu bean are within character.

And of course, everything with Gohan in the final fight. He is 11 years old and not a fighter, expecting him to make the best choices in that fight is foolish, but Goku not thinking any of that through is expected.

I don't disagree with that, but throughout the entire arc, the ball is almost always in the main cast's court, so when they constantly keep fumbling it, it doesn't feel tense or exciting and it doesn't make the villains look smart. It just feels like padding.

It doesn't help that structurally, there's no buildup. It's not really about anything. Stuff just seems to happen at random.

I would call that bold. I'll always respect an effort. Even if it's futile. Tien had to know how it would go down lol.

I would say it was stupid just because instead of uselessly risking his life he could hang back to maybe be useful at a later time (like using tri beam as a distraction, such as on Cell)

Not nearly as consequential as most of the other important characters in that arc but still.

Nah.

I generally agree. I don't think characters doing stupid things is bad writing as long as it fits their character/motives and/or maybe contributes to their development.

Rutger

Banned
I don't disagree with that, but throughout the entire arc, the ball is almost always in the main cast's court, so when they constantly keep fumbling it, it doesn't feel tense or exciting and it doesn't make the villains look smart. It just feels like padding.

It doesn't help that structurally, there's no buildup. It's not really about anything. Stuff just seems to happen at random.

I don't think the ball is always in the main cast's court though. The androids can't be tracked so they have the most control when they are the focus, while Cell is doing what the heroes did on Namik by laying low until he can make a move leaving everyone in a bit of a stalemate. It's not until Vegeta is done in the time chamber that they have some control over the situation and he quickly throws it away out of pride.

There's also Krillin not killing 18 I guess, but he realized she isn't evil and I feel saying that is a bad thing is like saying they should have killed Guru on Namik to prevent Frieza from getting the Dragon Balls. It might have been a solution, but it wouldn't have been right.

And the arc is always about trying to prevent a bad future, so I don't agree about that.

Daingurse

There's a thin line between bold and stupid, but that aren't one of them.

Krillin gets crap on for not joining the others in the charge, but he was honestly the only smart person there.

He was just scared stiff. Krillin shoulda got chocked out with the rest his friends. Everyone was doing it!

ElFly

Cell saga is that part of the movie where the main characters start having things go their way, so they all become smug and start making stupid, obvious mistake due to hubris

and when the ball is on the villains' court, they decide to take it easy and take a car to Goku's

why???

There's also Krillin not killing 18 I guess, but he realized she isn't evil and I feel saying that is a bad thing is like saying they should have killed Guru on Namik to prevent Frieza from getting the Dragon Balls. It might have been a solution, but it wouldn't have been right.

Krillin does the human thing by not killing 18, but also he could have taken her (or take 16) and run the fuck away

And the arc is always about trying to prevent a bad future, so I don't agree about that.

the whole time travel angle goes out of the window once Cell appears. Well, more precisely once Cell explains where he came from. just before that, Trunks had realized time travel was useless to change the future, so his arc becomes "just train a little to be able to beat the androids* and he accomplishes that in the ROSAT

once Cell appears, the saga's structure becomes "let's take turns at beating Cell". that's all there is to it

the thing that killed Goku was Gohan's cockiness

every time in Z when he got a power up he become some uber asshole, prior to when he was training he was doing so to protect people

but low and behold he starts playing with his foe and acting all edgy

STOP

Daingurse

the thing that killed Goku was Gohan's cockiness

every time in Z when he got a power up he become some uber asshole, prior to when he was training he was doing so to protect people

but low and behold he starts playing with his foe and acting all edgy

STOP

I enjoy cocky Gohan, just wish he didn't play so damn much. Dude kept that aggression bottled up too much. He was a straight sadist when fighting Cell and Buu.

HeroR

Goku screwed up by not explaining his plan with Cell from the very start.

And Goku told Gohan to stop playing and finished Cell. Gohan's responses, 'hell no'. So Gohan is more at fault than Goku in that situation.

He was just scared stiff. Krillin shoulda got chocked out with the rest his friends. Everyone was doing it!

The emotion of fear exists to keep people from doing something stupid. The lack of fear doesn't make one brave. It makes you a fool.

How did the thing with Buu happen? because I can't remember

A friend of mine is saying Vegeta helped unleash Buu to beat Goku, but that doesn't sound right
Their fight generated massive amounts of energy which is what buu needed

As far as helping to unleash buu to beat goku that’s not quite right he let babidi unleash the darkness in his heart to help try and beat goku

He knew fighting goku would revive buu but he didn’t care and goku continued the fight anyway he knew as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom