• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter49

I want the running theme to be
Everyone Goku saves attacks Vegeta.

So taking bets.

Will Jiren say anything in tonight's episode?
More important question. Is he the one who will finally hold Frieza's hand.

Cabba is so underwhelming right now. He does not have a unique characteristic. I was kinda excited when i first saw him on the previous opening,i thought his moveset will be based around kicks.
He existed in order to give us better saiyans.
Now he can join Goten in relevance.

I like his dynamic with Vegeta, besides that, he's meh.

Cabba is so underwhelming right now. He does not have a unique characteristic. I was kinda excited when i first saw him on the previous opening,i thought his moveset will be based around kicks.

My guess is Jiren doesn't talk because he has a squeaky voice or something, and whenever he's spoken in the past, everyone around him laughs. That's what drove him to become so strong.

Only half serious

Skeeter49

I need to pay more attention then, haha. I swear I don't remember him talking.

He told Geeko to get lost.
He talked when he destroyed Kale, saying he'd take her down.

For a moment in the last episode he had a spiritual connection with Vegeta.

Jiren is whatever. The episode is about Gohan.
Not if we get 10 minutes of Goku fighting the Yardrat.
Toppo's and Gohan's eyes might meet in this episode.

I remember seeing his art and thinking he would be some cold saiyan who hides his emotions. It wouldn't have been the most interesting characteristic but at least it would have had him stand out when compared to the other saiyans.

kuYuri

Get hyyyyype!

giphy.gif

Skeeter49

Buu arc has like 3 gohan raging powerup moments that all amount to nothing
The World Martial Arts Tournament where he gets his energy absorbed
Against Dabura
When he tries to blow up Buu before he hatches
When he powers up to take out Buu and gets one shotted.
Do we count Ultimate Gohan in this?

Never forget. Super is correcting the Buu arc for Gohan fans.

That's counting some chickens before they've hatched.

90 was better than anything in the Buu arc for Gohan, minus the hug Goku and Gohan have, and the beat down on Super Buu.
This isn't counting the GS arc in Z.
Gohan would have to get knocked out next episode to fuck this up.

The World Martial Arts Tournament where he gets his energy absorbed
Against Dabura
When he tries to blow up Buu before he hatches
When he powers up to take out Buu and gets one shotted.
Do we count Ultimate Gohan in this?

Never forget. Super is correcting the Buu arc for Gohan fans.

That's counting some chickens before they've hatched.

dci260

So taking bets.

Will Jiren say anything in tonight's episode?

I'd bet that he won't speak again until him and Goku are going to fight.

The female saiyans are much more interesting than he has ever been, so as far as I'm concerned he has served his purpose with their introduction.

Jiren is whatever. The episode is about Gohan.

You're god damn right it is.

17ab280d6ee18a99fdea54b59eac2499.jpg

Would be nice, but the W will probably just end up being Piccolo saving Gohan from an attack and getting knocked out of the arena in the process.

If this comes to pass, I'm blaming you.

Sony

Nintendo
You're still missing the point I'm making here. There's a a distinct difference in how Dragon Ball is made today than in the 90's that isn't going to get replicated with how things are currently going.

Dragon Ball Z -

• Adaptation of a weekly manga.
  • With it being an adaptation, TOEI has a reference to how things should be animated already with Toriyama's amazing paneling.
  • Because the manga is weekly, a lot of filler has to be added to pad things out (also during that era, Toriyama took breaks as well).
  • Dragon Ball began blossoming some of it's popularity in the various movies that came out every year as promotional material.
  • These movies also raised the popularity of the franchise as well with characters like Broly and Cooler blowing up in popularity and creating all sorts of merchandise for years to come.
Dragon Ball Super -

• Adaptation of story notes with a beginning, middle, and end written by Toriyama.
  • No reference for how things should be animated other than Toriyama creating character designs.
  • Because they have a story outline, little to no padding exists. They still add in filler to give things time to breath, but for the most part Super is at a consistently fast pace.
  • Dragon Ball is so popular that it doesn't need an extra push to get things going. Dragon Ball doesn't need to use things like movies to create new characters with the video games having their own separate lore that continues to evolve as well as Super evolving the franchise in it's own way as well.
  • Because Dragon Ball is as popular as it is, TOEI feels like they can treat it like One Piece and have some dips in quality here-and-there. This creates an inconsistent show in terms of animation and direction, which makes things worse because One Piece's direction is dictated by the manga and is mostly faithful to it, while Super doesn't really have that benefit.
Whether you like this or not I have no qualms with by any means, but what I'm saying is that you can't really expect Dragon Ball Super to be "how it was" back in the day when "how it was" doesn't exist anymore for Super to benefit from.

Super by and large should be judged by the quality standards of modern anime in general, since that's the stratosphere it exists in above all else. And yes, I'm aware it compares unfavorably before anyone points that out.
________

Also, to respond to your second gif...that isn't really canon either. Canon fight, yes. But that's just TOEI's interpretation of it. That was a TOEi that had something to prove.

I see, thanks for the writeup. I get that they gave a different direction and different source material. However, it still wouldn't be impossible to animate fights like the gifs I posted. I'm not talking about all the fights, I'm not talking about very long. A couple of seconds would be nice. Besides, they have a whole legacy series to draw inspiration from.

Tsunamo

Thanks, also is the English BR region free?

I greatly prefer the Japanese VA. Not too fond of Masako Nozawa though.
All their prior blu-rays (level sets, the Blue 16:9 sets) for Dragon Ball have been region free so it should be the same with Super.

Not 100% sure of course but I don't see any reason to think they'd change it now.

Slaythe

Ah so 17 does get a scene.

Also this is the last episode where Gohan looks like Vegeta. The bang doesn't magically disappear so we should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom