• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I feel like Gohan's brief reaction was appropriate here. He felt a moment of regret for doing something he had to do and then Piccolo called him to move on. Anything longer or with words wouldn't have stood out as much.

I agree. It worked because of how subtle it was.

i disagree, i think they did it the right way

i don't think we needed more than we got, the picture in the locket, gohans look, and him clenching his fist was enough to get the message across

Yeah I thought this was enough. Could have used more. I expected Gohan to deal with this conflict before knocking him out, but I'm not upset with this.

Skeeter49

I do think they should have spent more time, but my counterargument is it should be obvious to Gohan and co. that these people have families, they have lives outside of this tournament, people they care for that are going to be erased, Gohan at least is the type of person who would be thinking that throughout the whole tournament, him having some type of hesitation would suggest that thought never occurred to him, which really messes with his character, and makes him really oblivious to the other fighters. Him seeing the locket after, and the look he gave implies he knew what he was doing, and he wishes he didn't have to be reminded of it because it makes it that much harder, but he has to move on.

It shouldn't be a huge shock to Gohan. Maybe to Goku or Vegeta who are pure saiyans who have that emotional disconnect at times, reflecting on the locket could work, I just don't think it's needed for Gohan who isn't like that.

Welp, they are fhgiting for the universe right to exist, yet you have goku having fun
Pure saiyans were a mistake.
All hail our lord and savior the hybrid saiyans.

Someone from U7 is up to bite it soon.
And that person has 3 eyes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

And I know they said it earlier, with U7 being the 2nd weakest. But every other universe has basically been gimmick power.

i disagree, i think they did it the right way

i don't think we needed more than we got, the picture in the locket, gohans look, and him clenching his fist was enough to get the message across

It would have had much more impact if we even knew who this character was... Even before the tournament they were hid behind hoods.

Angel-chan left more of an impact on their disappearance than the locket did.

caliph95

And I know they said it earlier, with U7 being the 2nd weakest. But every other universe has basically been gimmick power.
The mortal levels aren't power levels it was never stated they were the weakest just the 2nd worst universe

But yeah the other universes have been disappointing

They never said U7 was the second weakest.

Didnt the grand priest say it on the zen tournament?

The mortal levels aren't power levels it was never stated they were the weakest just the 2nd worst universe

But yeah the other universes have been disappointing

Like a lot, only few figures of the teams are strong, I was expecting a well balanced group but even the pride troopers are gonna be carried by toppo and Jiren

Skeeter49

He said they have the second lowest mortal ranking.
Quality of life pretty much, which has to do with more than power levels. They're a factor, but the biggest issue was that Shin and Beerus weren't doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, and arguably because of this, because their mortal level is so bad, it helped Goku rise to the top. If Beerus and Shin did their jobs better, Goku might have never got anywhere near as strong as he is. They let Frieza run havoc, they let Buu run wild, they fucked up.

Shin put it best, they only have 28 planets left. That's bad.

caliph95

Like a lot, only few figures of the teams are strong, I was expecting a well balanced group but even the pride troopers are gonna be carried by toppo and Jiren
He only said mortal levels which I'm sure never been stated what it was but basically quality of the universes

caliph95

He said they have the lowest mortal ranking.
Quality of life pretty much, which has to do with more than power levels. They're a factor, but the biggest issue was that Shin and Beerus weren't doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, and arguably because of this, because their mortal level is so bad, it helped Goku rise to the top.

Shin put it best, they only have 28 planets left. That's bad.
Well 28 civilised planets if only there wasn't a genocidal conqueror allowed to let loose and a lazy GoD who destroyed based on the gifts given and food

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I do think they should have spent more time, but my counterargument is it should be obvious to Gohan and co. that these people have families, they have lives outside of this tournament, people they care for that are going to be erased, Gohan at least is the type of person who would be thinking that throughout the whole tournament, him having some type of hesitation would suggest that thought never occurred to him, which really messes with his character, and makes him really oblivious to the other fighters. Him seeing the locket after, and the look he gave implies he knew what he was doing, and he wishes he didn't have to be reminded of it because it makes it that much harder, but he has to move on.

It shouldn't be a huge shock to Gohan. Maybe to Goku or Vegeta who are pure saiyans who have that emotional disconnect at times, reflecting on the locket could work, I just don't think it's needed for Gohan who isn't like that.

Pure saiyans were a mistake.
All hail our lord and savior the hybrid saiyans.

And that person has 3 eyes.

Perhaps it's a necessary scene for Gohan with regards to what he'll achieve later. They've already established he's an important character this year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well 28 civilised planets if only there wasn't a genocidal conqueror allowed to let loose and a lazy GoD who destroyed based on the gifts given and food

Pretty much. Buu and Freeza did a number on U-7 and no one could be bothered to do anything about either of them until Goku came into existence. Hell, U-7 is lucky Gohan exists too because Cell could well have been the second coming of Buu if not beaten when he was.

CazTGG

Yeah I thought this was enough. Could have used more. I expected Gohan to deal with this conflict before knocking him out, but I'm not upset with this.

Maybe it's clumsy foreshadowing to that supposed Evil Grand Priest fan theory that's been floating around?

In any case, it makes sense for Gohan to not need much reassurance about his decision given that he's risked his life multiple times to save everyone and everything he cares about. He knows it's a dire "us vs them" situation that the other fighters won't see his reason to not fight one another as that fighter from Universe 4 demonstrated several episodes back. The problem with that moment stems from how the viewer is given very little information about them or their universe aside from him being The Honorable Warrior Archetype™, so the moment feels hollow in terms of generating empathy for the erasure of Universe 10.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe it's clumsy foreshadowing to that supposed Evil Grand Priest fan theory that's been floating around?

In any case, it makes sense for Gohan to not need much reassurance about his decision given that he's risked his life multiple times to save everyone and everything he cares about. The problem with that moment stems from how the viewer is given very little information about them or their universe aside from him being The Honorable Warrior Archetype™, so the moment feels hollow in terms of generating empathy for the erasure of Universe 10.

I think part of the point here is to draw a very clear contrast between Gohan and the rest of the team, especially Goku. Most of that team is running around fighting guys and having fun, Goku and 17 were actively screwing around this episode and last, meanwhile this episode shows Gohan's not only taking this seriously but is actively aware of the consequences of what he's doing.

I think it's basically setting up how the tournament ends and what the wish on the Super Dragon Balls will look like.

janoDX

Interesting that Goku is going SSG in the NEP, since the anime never really verbalized that SSG is less stamina using than SSB like the manga did. I guess they could always explain it with a quick few lines, but for anime-only it may feel a bit out of nowhere.

SSG is only god's energy

SSB is god's energy + Ki

SSB KK is god's energy + tons of Ki

I think Goku can transform into SSG since he got Blue, but he never uses it because it doesn't have the same strength as SSB, and maybe SSG is faster than SSB and because it doesn't consume Ki it can be used as somewhat of a replacement of SSBKK and not running out of Ki.

Protome

I mean, that theory was mostly pretty silly but if we're assuming the Grand Priest is the one doing the erasing of Universes then he has committed genocide on an unprecedented scale twice now. Pretty hard to not consider that evil.

At the very least this episode worked as a good reminder of how evil the entire concept of the tournament is and is could be setting up Gohan being the one to wish the other universes back given he is the one person in U7 that seems to give a shit about how they're contributing to the erasing of entire Universes.

I don't think the fan theories of "everyone is going to fight the Grand Priest at the end" are likely, but I do think it's likely that after another arc or two we get another tournament where a team of the best fighters from this tournament face off against the "better" Universes.

NeonZ

I really think an arc where the angels and Grand Priest fight is coming as a direct sequel to this tournament.

In addition to the foreshadowing regarding a mortal stronger than GoDs and thepromotional artwork with the tease about Goku himself mastering the power of the gods/putting an end to the work of the gods, there's also the oddity of the Heroes tie in for this arc. They rushed to add all GoDs at once, but haven't even bothered with the new Angels so far. If they know the angels are actually going to be fighting next arc, it would make a lot of sense to wait for that before adding them.

I was always of the mind that if the angels started fighting it would be for arcs later. At least I feel like that's what would be most natural and a reasonable progression of power escalation, as opposed to literally next arc.

I couldn't find a gif of this Vegito scene from a while back so I made one. I don't know how to embed gifv here so here's a link to it.

https://imgur.com/a/76ySS

Remove the 'v' and you can embed it as a regular gif.

ZangBa

I don't normally complain about art with this show, but this episode looked especially off to me. I'm not that bothered by these things normally but I definitely felt distracted. Gohan looks like such a goober in Super, he looked so much better in the Buu saga.

Anyways, I liked that guy Gohan was fighting. Unlike Jiren, at least he had a personality, and I felt bad for him too. Honestly, he's the only character I've actually felt something for, they haven't done a good job with the rest. Obviously I know it's hard to keep up with so many characters, but too many just feel like nameless jobbers outside of 6 and 7. It's also funny how 17 went from a whatever character, long forgotten in the past to what he is now. This arc has done a great job with him, it's too bad 17 can't share this kind of development with the rest of these people. Also, where the fuck has Frieza gone lol.

I'm starting to feel like this tournament is going to erupt into an angel war at some point based on the differences in expression between the erased universes angels.

Oh snap I didnt realize how long it was because it froze on me early in.

Also I think changing it to gif makes it a smaller file size to some extent. Still is really big though lol

Edit: wait gifv is smaller? Welp

oddj0b

Banned
giphy.gif

Your welcome :)

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I don't normally complain about art with this show, but this episode looked especially off to me. I'm not that bothered by these things normally but I definitely felt distracted. Gohan looks like such a goober in Super, he looked so much better in the But saga.

Anyways, I liked that guy Gohan was fighting. Unlike Jiren, at least he had a personality, and I felt bad for him too. Honestly, he's the only character I've actually felt something for, they haven't done a good job with the rest. Obviously I know it's hard to keep up with so many characters, but too many just feel like nameless jobbers outside of 6 and 7. It's also funny how 17 went from a whatever character, long forgotten in the past to what he is now. This arc has done a great job with him, it's too bad 17 can't share this kind of development with the rest of these people. Also, where the fuck has Frieza gone lol.

I'm starting to feel like this tournament is going to erupt into an angel war at some point based on the differences in expression between the erased universes angels.

Something about that doesn't sound right

Kevinroc

Have we brought up how U6 didn't have an Earth because they didn't have a Goku? (At least until Beerus' wish on the Super Dragon Balls.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Have we brought up how U6 didn't have an Earth because they didn't have a Goku? (At least until Beerus' wish on the Super Dragon Balls.)

In fairness we don't know why they didn't have an Earth. Could be their Earth elected Trump as it's leader and were doomed from there.

Off topic but shared it with one piece gaf figure I share it with db gaf my son first party made the cake and marshmallow pops and so forth majin buu would enjoy
tumblr_ounc00fw3B1w8n8zko1_400.jpg

There was a war that destroyed earth I think, I remember Vlados say the planet no longer exist

The planet still existed, it was just a barren wasteland because the humans killed themselves in "a stupid war".
So yeah, probably Trump.

Off topic but shared it with one piece gaf figure I share it with db gaf my son first party made the cake and marshmallow pops and so forth majin buu would enjoy
tumblr_ounc00fw3B1w8n8zko1_400.jpg

Congrats!
I think this picture gave me diabetes

Idk considering Frost is evil too, it could go either way.

Funny that humans suck in that universe in comparison to U7 humans. (Judging this based off how they killed themselves via war)

Skeeter49

So what are the chances the Universe 6 Namekians are huge dicks because the U6 Saiyans are relatively nice and well adjusted?

That's a good bet. Hopefully we find out soon.

Would be cool, but I'll tell you this, if Piccolo doesn't get a power up from this somehow, I will fucking riot.
The God ritual for Namekians is consuming 2 other Namekians, not to be mistaken for absorbing 2 other Namekians.

TreIII

So what are the chances the Universe 6 Namekians are huge dicks because the U6 Saiyans are relatively nice and well adjusted?

It probably would depend on how their species was allowed to evolve. If their Namek didn't have to weather a near-extinction event that wiped out most of their planet's population, maybe having larger numbers would mean having a Warrior race that was allowed to train more, at the very least.

Maybe it's time for that red eyes power up that DBO had to be introduced properly...

Idk considering Frost is evil too, it could go either way.

Funny that humans suck in that universe in comparison to U7 humans. (Judging this based off how they killed themselves via war)

Didnt current humans were into a dictatorship before Satan ?

I mean the RR or Pilaf would probably overtake earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom