• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

People think it's just a joke, I feel their father son relationship in Super more than I do with him and Goku.

That's because Piccolo has no character outside of Gohan in Super, especially this arc.

He lost his Piccolo Gi.

Yet didn't asked his dad to conjure another one, but had time to find the tracksuit.

I just think of the fodder like world Tourney prelims.

I do too. I mean Nam was fodder, but he was fun. Same with Tao at the 23rd tourument.

When you're one of the strongest fighters in the tournament, but everyone keeps calling you Goku's son.

LZpgC8e.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My turn.

I stayed away from Tate shots I liked because I don't want to start that argument again.

Honestly I posted some more Tate stuff on my Twitter with explanation as to why they were good. Yeah Tate goes off model a lot and I'm not a fan but he can pull of some things amazingly well. The composition, energy and fluidity in his animation style was very apparent this week.

HeroR

Honestly I posted some more Tate stuff on my Twitter with explanation as to why they were good. Yeah Tate goes off model a lot and I'm not a fan but he can pull of some things amazingly well. The composition, energy and fluidity in his animation style was very apparent this week.

That's a battle you'll never win. Tate is a love or hate him person. But at least this fandom don't want to feed him to the dogs like the One Piece fandom.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Good to see one of our saiyans actually taking this seriously. He's just so calm and collected. Doesn't seem to be fazed which is good character development.

I'm expecting thoughts of saving Pan and Videl (maybe even Goten) will spark one of his typical anger strength boosts. Cliched but I'm sure most Gohan fans would love it.

I like that Gohan is one of the few fighters taking this seriously. I know some people were afraid he was gonna choke here like he did in the past but they've done well to show those pre-tournament build-up episodes weren't for nothing.

If they do another rage moment for him, I don't think it will be erratic at least. They've definitely established him against his previous shortcomings.

I like that Gohan is one of the few fighters taking this seriously. I know some people were afraid he was gonna choke here like he did in the past but they've done well to shown those pre-tournament build-up episodes weren't for nothing.

If they do another rage moment for him, I don't think it will be erratic at least. They've definitely established him against his previous shortcomings.

It'd be cool for Gohan to get another rage power up, but he has full control over his emotions after, stopping himself from becoming arrogant in his power or blinded by his rage.

Something that was set up for months isn't poorly justified. Poorly justfy would be everyone randomly letting go of their grudge against U7.

As I said, you not liking something isn't bad writing. That's you not liking something.

Gowasu was, but the U10 God of Destruction is lazier than Beerus according to Toei's site and I don't see him changing in a 1000 years.

In the context of Dragon Ball, not talking whatever your belief is, death is just another journey. Erasing isn't. Not sure why this is hard to follow.

Now I'm Android 17. Funny since unlike you I haven't told you a thing about my belief, which isn't even important when talking about a cartoon with a very clear set on how life and death works.

Oops I dont mean U10. I meant Jiren's universe.

Not sure what's hard to follow about what I said? I didn't say "death", I said reincarnation.

No, you're arguing that nothing matters in regards to people's lives in this show if you're erased, and since they are going to be erased in 1000+ years anyway, nothing matters. I'm just assuming you don't believe in an afterlife. Most athiests I come across believe that there is nothingness after death, which is the same as being erased in DB. My view in life isn't "nothing matters because I'm going to end up in nothing anyway", and I dont think 1000+ years of life in DB "doesn't matter" because they are going to be erased anyway. So people would have a valid reason to be mad at Goku. And when you're arguing that Goku doesn't deserve any crap, you're arguing that everyone should subscribe to the notion that "Goku's action's shouldn't matter because they will be erased in 1000+ years anyway"

Not everyone has to share your singular viewpoint on this particular matter.

I am mad about the writers suddenly moved the lady angel to the top part of the stadium, she vas never there in all previous episode, yet suddenly she is there. She was sitting next to gowazu the entire arc to the very end.

The family photo was a bit cheesy IMO, it's like in movies when you see a torn-up teddy bear in some destroyed city.

Also weird since the ki blast pushed everything to the other side yet the medallion stayed.

Morlas

it's nice to see one of the angels actually be friends with their universe, Whis and Vados are super trolls so even though i do think they are it doesn't feel as real lol

You're right,good observation.
It is kinda funny tbh.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that none of this is by accident. They are in a way taking the most initiative in this tournament to eliminate other universes. Also, Frieza hasn't even fully let loose yet. But if you truly stop and consider some things, it's entirely possible that Universe 7 will find themselves in the most trouble fairly soon.

Imagine if just about every other surviving universe was severely holding back with the specific intent to showcase their true power once there's a certain amount of time left?

Ingeniero

Decent episode but not top tier, I hope it improves and show more fights than dialogue in the next episodes.

Gowasu man... It hurts...
Also Cus is so :( best angel.

Some people keep saying gohan is the only one taking this seriously huh...
Geets is taking this very seriously as well and is one of the smartest fighters -_-V

who was the artist for these? i really like the rose shot

I believe the two Gohan shots are from Yong-ce Tu, the Piccolo is either Miyuki Yokoyama or also Tu (I'm leaning towards Yokoyama though). I have no idea who did the other two, This episode also had a few new animators from Tiger Mask, so it could have been one of them, but who knows.

Skii

I like that Gohan is one of the few fighters taking this seriously. I know some people were afraid he was gonna choke here like he did in the past but they've done well to show those pre-tournament build-up episodes weren't for nothing.

Definitely not. I expect it to emphasise the control he's gained over emotions that even in anger it doesn't cloud his judgement like it did vs Cell/Buu.

I believe the two Gohan shots are from Yong-ce Tu, the Piccolo is either Miyuki Yokoyama or also Tu (I'm leaning towards Yokoyama though). I have no idea who did the other two, This episode also had a few new animators from Tiger Mask, so it could have been one of them, but who knows.

Do you recognize the artist's styles or do you just always know who's working on the episode beforehand?
Or both

Mmmm, I feel like Gohan got a serious tone on this episose, which is good but kinda looks like a different person.

Don't take this away from me. I liked that moment ;'( Especially because Obuni seemed like a good fella after acknowledging Gohan as a warrior.

To be honest his team was doomed since the leader got destroyed by freezer at the start, dude gave me the impression he retired due his age so gohan beat an old man technically

Piccolo tossing Dread-man out of the ring is a perfect BANNED gif if ever I saw one

lmao, so true

interesting, i feel like a lot of the art from unknown artists in the arc has been really good

like the super saiyan vegeta art from 99(?)

Would you tell your father you lost a present he gave you?
hm fair enough

HeroR

Oops I dont mean U10. I meant Jiren's universe.

Not sure what's hard to follow about what I said? I didn't say "death", I said reincarnation.

No, you're arguing that nothing matters in regards to people's lives in this show if you're erased, and since they are going to be erased in 1000+ years anyway, nothing matters. I'm just assuming you don't believe in an afterlife. Most athiests I come across believe that there is nothingness after death, which is the same as being erased in DB. My view in life isn't "nothing matters because I'm going to end up in nothing anyway", and I dont think 1000+ years of life in DB "doesn't matter" because they are going to be erased anyway. So people would have a valid reason to be mad at Goku. And when you're arguing that Goku doesn't deserve any crap, you're arguing that everyone should subscribe to the notion that "Goku's action's shouldn't matter because they will be erased in 1000+ years anyway"

Not everyone has to share your singular viewpoint on this particular matter.

Maybe. But that still leaves seven universes in the dumpster.

I was talking in the context in Dragon Ball in how they portrayal life, death, and erasing. Not ones' personal belief on the subject. And being erased when you die, if you believe that, isn't the same as the world you created being erased, which is what Zen'o doing. In Dragon Ball's case, it really doesn't matter if you're erased now or later. You ceased to exist when erased and lose all awareness.

I'm a Christian, for whatever that matters.

Maybe. But that still leaves seven universes in the dumpster.

I was talking in the context in Dragon Ball in how they portrayal life, death, and erasing. Not ones' personal belief on the subject. And being erased when you die, if you believe that, isn't the same as the world you created being erased, which is what Zen'o doing. In Dragon Ball's case, it really doesn't matter if you're erased now or later. You ceased to exist when erased and lose all awareness.

I'm a Christian, for whatever that matters.

Regardless of whatever happens in that 1000+ years, Goku has still cut down that opportunity. Yes you being erased and the world being erased aren't the same thing, but to one's perspective, simply you being erased vs everything being erased is the same experience. You still end up in nothingness either way, and for you it wouldn't "matter" if you are erased or if everything is erased, because you're nothing anyway. You won't percieve anything at that point.

It mattered because it was relevant to your belief of "nothing matters if everything is erased". Naturally I bring in real life because that's the basis we often use to impose standards (to some extent) when judging fiction.

And you're saying nothing matters if everything is erased in the sense that nothing you did before will "live" if everything is erased. I'm saying the current waking moments of life matter and it's worth enjoying regardless of what happens at the end. That's why that 1000+ years of life matters regardless of if it was going to be erased at the end, and why people have a right to be mad at Goku since their experience is getting cut short because of him.

LordOfChaos

Interesting that Goku is going SSG in the NEP, since the anime never really verbalized that SSG is less stamina using than SSB like the manga did. I guess they could always explain it with a quick few lines, but for anime-only it may feel a bit out of nowhere.

Also glad Dyspo is a real challenge in his own right.

Also lol at Gohans not-dodging ability becoming a real counter.

Mory Dunz

The family photo was a bit cheesy IMO, it's like in movies when you see a torn-up teddy bear in some destroyed city.

same, i felt like I was the only person who that had no effect on. I thought it was pretty cliche, and his wife and child looked like they took 2 seconds to draw.

I know I keep talking about creating a narrative, but eh.

caliph95

same, i felt like I was the only person who that had no effect on. I thought it was pretty cliche, and his wife and child looked like they took 2 seconds to draw.

They barely gave focus on the other or at least some of the universes to save time so they have to use shortcuts

Even their erasure would have been more impactful if they gave bit more focus than they did

Zaverious

Would've been better if it happened during the fight and made Gohan feel even more conflicted about what he's doing then he bucks up and proceeds to win the fight.

Slaythe

They didn't even need much.

Remember when Frost was losing to Goku and he brought up the children.

They could have had something similar here.

The pendant that drops after he lost and then cut to ED was a bit rough.

Would have liked to see more of this. And Gohan's reaction to it, over a few minutes.

i disagree, i think they did it the right way

i don't think we needed more than we got, the picture in the locket, gohans look, and him clenching his fist was enough to get the message across

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They didn't even need much.

Remember when Frost was losing to Goku and he brought up the children.

They could have had something similar here.

The pendant that drops after he lost and then cut to ED was a bit rough.

Would have liked to see more of this. And Gohan's reaction to it, over a few minutes.

Actually I feel like Gohan's brief reaction was appropriate here. He felt a moment of regret for doing something he had to do and then Piccolo called him to move on. Anything longer or with words wouldn't have stood out as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom